wlu_lax6
The Dude

Think I am going to start supporting the Loyal

Post by wlu_lax6 »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Think I am going to start supporting the Loyal

Post by govmentchedda »

Yep. Watched it, and went and bought a shirt. Gotta support that.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Team statement:

Coach statement, after he got into it with LD on the field:

(that one might be tough for him, because when I read what he said I immediately thought he meant what he says he didn't mean)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Yeah the head coach of Phoenix does not come off making it about Landon's behavior. I also thought Landon was pretty classy in his description. The ref said he heard it and did not know what it meant. The explanation in the video clip makes it clear the ref heard it. Will be interesting to see what USL does.

On the other hand this is a league that just had the Loudon (DC United's team) forfeit the remaining 3 games because of COVID and nobody noticed (Loudon is pretty terrible).
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:57 am Yep. Watched it, and went and bought a shirt. Gotta support that.
Like the purple goalie jersey with the Stone Brewing logo.

Interesting team, Sal Zizzo, Hackworth's son, Rubio Rubin, and Charlie Adams (Bummer it is not the former Blackpool Charlie Adams)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Seeing the Stone logo makes me want one
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:07 amInteresting team, Sal Zizzo, Hackworth's son, Rubio Rubin, and Charlie Adams (Bummer it is not the former Blackpool Charlie Adams)
This might be peak wlu_lax.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:43 am Seeing the Stone logo makes me want one
Yeah, that's a cool logo on jersey. I used to love Stone. Used to get all their special releases, but haven't bought a Stone beer in probably 3 years.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

But they forefeited. I don't get it. They lost. What happened to showing them on the field. Dumb.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:25 pm But they forefeited. I don't get it. They lost. What happened to showing them on the field. Dumb.
They were willing to play if the guy got red carded or the other coach took him out.

But I don't know why I'm surprised this is your view.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

But they lost. The threshold for on field shit talking is high. What if UK did this in the NCAA tournament? I cannot imagine what is said on field in major US sports routines. Cant quit.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:04 pm But they lost. The threshold for on field shit talking is high. What if UK did this in the NCAA tournament?
If they did it to support a gay teammate or a teammate who got called a "n-----r" to no discipline by the officials/opposing team, hopefully he'd feel proud. I know I would.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Literally every single game. Every game.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Where does, "they lost" or "they were losing" come into play? They were winning 3-1, and took a stand after suffering homophobic abuse FOR THE SECOND WEEK IN A ROW. If you want this shit (racism, homophobic slurs, etc.) out of sports, this is exactly the type of stand that you make. Landon gave the other coach the opportunity to sub off his own player if the ref didn't have enough on his own to red card the guy WHICH HE CLEARLY WOULD HAVE DONE BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT HE TRIED TO DO TO MARTIN AFTER HE HEARD HIM SAY "GAY". JFC, who cares about "literally every single game"? What kind of fucking boomer attitude is that? The rules have changed, the rules always change, we now throw forward passes in football, and get an extra point every time a bucket is made past a specific distance.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:05 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:04 pm But they lost. The threshold for on field shit talking is high. What if UK did this in the NCAA tournament?
If they did it to support a gay teammate or a teammate who got called a "n-----r" to no discipline by the officials/opposing team, hopefully he'd feel proud. I know I would.
100%
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:25 pm But they forefeited. I don't get it. They lost. What happened to showing them on the field. Dumb.
"Let's just accept racism and homophobia" is not the winning argument you think it is.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:04 pm But they lost. The threshold for on field shit talking is high. What if UK did this in the NCAA tournament? I cannot imagine what is said on field in major US sports routines. Cant quit.
We are talking about a minor-league soccer team. If they win and make the playoffs, nobody cares. If they play the game and take a stand after, nobody hears the story. I think it took a lot of courage and shows amazing support of a teammate to take that kind of a stand. OTOH, they just gave the asshole a win.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm sure Donovan knows his name being involved will drive the story even further up the page too. Good on him.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:25 pm I'm sure Donovan knows his name being involved will drive the story even further up the page too. Good on him.
Bingo. Walking off the field and taking the loss when they were in the lead, and putting Donovan's name behind it, helps make it a national story, and the benefit done by this being a national story will way outweigh the harm to the team by taking the loss.

Remember that sports is just a TV and/or live theater show.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You play to win the game
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:40 pm You play to win the game
You hold your head high knowing you did right, knowing it's just a game.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I agree but why not hold your head up high after you kick the shit out of the team that said it?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I am not sure I am buying the "putting landon's name behind it angle" Landon very clearly was passionate about this in the conversation with the ref and Phoenix's coach. Landon has been the face of the team since he took the coaching job, been very visible on COVID in the soccer community, and other causes. He is the coach, he made the call, he has to explain it.

I also get why the Ref may not have picked up on it. From wiki the slur used was not one that I was even aware of. So when the ref said he did not know it was a slur...I get it....and I can imagine a case where the Jamaican player said something to Martin that was not what he is accused of saying (but he may have said it too).

And yeah the Loyal would have made the playoffs had they not walked out.

Of the stuff I have read and seen, the only person who comes off looking really bad is Phoenix's coach because of the video from above.

And this is a shame. Phoenix is a pretty good club with a fun dollar beer night promotion/streak (https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-socc ... phenomenon). And have had some notable players...Omar Bravo and Drogba.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:48 pm I agree but why not hold your head up high after you kick the shit out of the team that said it?
What a comically American and transparently weak way to think. You can lose a battle and win a war.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:48 pmI am not sure I am buying the "putting landon's name behind it angle" Landon very clearly was passionate about this in the conversation with the ref and Phoenix's coach. Landon has been the face of the team since he took the coaching job, been very visible on COVID in the soccer community, and other causes. He is the coach, he made the call, he has to explain it.
Oh, I'm not saying it wasn't genuine, just that I imagine he knows its a bigger deal if LANDON DONOVAN pulls his team than if ... uh ... one second ... ... ... Chris Little did.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:32 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:25 pm I'm sure Donovan knows his name being involved will drive the story even further up the page too. Good on him.
Bingo. Walking off the field and taking the loss when they were in the lead, and putting Donovan's name behind it, helps make it a national story, and the benefit done by this being a national story will way outweigh the harm to the team by taking the loss.

Remember that sports is just a TV and/or live theater show.
To think he calculated all of that in the middle of a heated game. Impressive.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, this thread took a fun detour.

FFS.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Why didn’t they just rip the guy’s helmet off when they heard the slur?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:49 pmTo think he calculated all of that in the middle of a heated game. Impressive.
Not to play "devil's advocate", but I'd bet Donovan knew he was a big name even before yesterday.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:58 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:49 pmTo think he calculated all of that in the middle of a heated game. Impressive.
Not to play "devil's advocate", but I'd bet Donovan knew he was a big name even before yesterday.