Scrapple: Rarely is a Breakfast Meat so Blatently Identified

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Scrapple: Rarely is a Breakfast Meat so Blatently Identified

Post by cerrano »

Everything but the oink, this breakfast delicacy celebrated in the mid-Atlantic region is arguably the "jazz" of pork food, being the first pork food to be invented in America, and certainly indebted to the process of improvisation for its existence. Often accompanied by one of many delicious condiments, two of the more popular compliments are consistent with that of the Chris Rock prison interviewee's preferences for tossed salad. Like the wise incarcerated gentleman, I prefer mine with maple syrup. You eastern shore motherfuckers like jelly on yours. That I can't abide, but to each their own.

The Apple-Scrapple Fest takes place every October in Bridgeville, DE, on the del-mar-va penisula (giggle) which is hot for scrapple, and apples apparently, and is getting a visit from at least two swappers this year, eh, kid?

I wish I had some scrapple.

(Some source information garnered from Wikipedia. Mea culpa)
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Scrapple: Rarely is a Breakfast Meat so Blatently Identi

Post by The Sybian »

Damn, I thought Scrapple died.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

It all does. Such a beautiful death.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I'd rather have goetta.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I hate scrapple so much. I hate the smell. I'm smelling it just from reading this thread.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

howard wrote:I hate scrapple so much. I hate the smell. I'm smelling it just from reading this thread.
Never heard of it until this thread. "Slices should not touch"? Why not? They fight to the death or something?

And can I assume this is hotdog shaped? Maybe it's a brick-shaped Spam-like object. But it's Soylent Green, right?

(Fantastic post, cerrano)
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Why do they have to be so specific with the pork parts, but then get to end the list with just "spices"?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Scottie wrote:
howard wrote:I hate scrapple so much. I hate the smell. I'm smelling it just from reading this thread.
Never heard of it until this thread. "Slices should not touch"? Why not? They fight to the death or something?

And can I assume this is hotdog shaped? Maybe it's a brick-shaped Spam-like object. But it's Soylent Green, right?

If the slices touch, they will stick together. It is brick-shaped. I've never seen Soylent Green, so...

I get mine from a local butcher, and it is sooooo much better than the pre-packed.

Cooked right, it is crispy on the outside, and creamy in the middle... I'm drooling a little right now.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My wife grew up on a working farm in Missouri (think Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz). Her father raised pigs for sale and slaughter, so they ate a lot of pork. They all love scrapple, head cheese, and all those gross organ meats.

Eta: almost forgot to include Sweetbreads, another gross food my in-laws eat.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

sancarlos wrote:My wife grew up on a working farm in Missouri (think Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz). Her father raised pigs for sale and slaughter, so they ate a lot of pork. They all love scrapple, head cheese, and all those gross organ meats.

Eta: almost forgot to include Sweetbreads, another gross food my in-laws eat.
Sweetbreads are delicious.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Genuinely have no idea if I've ever had it. I think a friend's father used to make it for us, and I confused it for corned beef hash. They used to talk about scrapple all the time, not sure if I ever ate it or not. Is it generally served in a slice form like ham, or chopped up with onions?
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I have a good friend that's originally from Phila. She's a vegetarian when not in Penn's Woods. She's still got a soft spot for scrapple.

We went down to Philadelphia with her and her husband and went to some upscale breakfast place that had in the menu. I am not a fan. My wife loved it.

(On the other hand, I am a fan of the TastyKake bread pudding and the Monk's Cafe.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

devilfluff wrote:
Scottie wrote:

If the slices touch, they will stick together. It is brick-shaped. I've never seen Soylent Green, so...

I get mine from a local butcher, and it is sooooo much better than the pre-packed.

Cooked right, it is crispy on the outside, and creamy in the middle... I'm drooling a little right now.
indeed. but the pre-packed will do in a gloppy pinch. fuckin-a right on the optimal preparation.

thanks, scottie.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

The Sybian wrote:Genuinely have no idea if I've ever had it. I think a friend's father used to make it for us, and I confused it for corned beef hash. They used to talk about scrapple all the time, not sure if I ever ate it or not. Is it generally served in a slice form like ham, or chopped up with onions?
Definitely not a hash.

Basically they mix pork, corn meal, & spices into a paste and shape it into bricks. It is sliced, fried, then served.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Scrapple is all the stuff not good enough for a hot dog.

And rush - monks is awesome. Just flat out awesome.
oh shit...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Denver has a Belgian cafe that's nearly as good, as well as the Falling Rock which has amazing beers.

teeteebee wrote:
And rush - monks is awesome. Just flat out awesome.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

teeteebee wrote:Scrapple is all the stuff not good enough for a hot dog.

You know what they make those things out of, Chet? You know? Lips and assholes!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sounds like they're just throwing whatever they can find into the vats. Feh!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Flying Fish needs to one up that and make a Taylor Ham beer. Fuck it, through in the egg and cheese, too. Fuck the ketchup, though. why do people fuck up the perfect sandwich with ketchup?
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DFH has been a gimmick factory for a while now. And scrapple is literal garbage.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

The Sybian wrote:

Flying Fish needs to one up that and make a Taylor Ham beer. Fuck it, through in the egg and cheese, too. Fuck the ketchup, though. why do people fuck up the perfect sandwich with ketchup?
Cuz it tastes good? Or maybe they are just from central PA...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

devilfluff wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

Ketchup tastes good? And I have been respecting your opinions in the beer thread?
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Fuck scrapple. Pork roll would fucking any scrapple any day of the week. Trenton's own. It's even on their city motto:

Trenton Makes, The World Takes... Fucking Pork Roll.

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

The Sybian wrote:
devilfluff wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

Ketchup tastes good? And I have been respecting your opinions in the beer thread?
I honestly use ketchup on almost nothing. Burgers, occasionally fries, and egg sandwiches...

But really it was a set up for a joke about Pennsyltucky's favorite condiment.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

At some point since giving up on ever leaving Jersey, I've decided that ketchup is an essential part of a breakfast sandwich.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A couple of threads I could have gone with this one...

Trenton pork roll maker fired man for farting, lawsuit says
Case President Thomas Dolan began to harass Clem and his wife when the smell of Richard's flatulence began to overpower the aroma of pork roll, according to the lawsuit.

Also, a reminder that the DE Apple Scrapple Festival is next weekend.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

…the smell of Richard's flatulence began to overpower the aroma of pork roll
Well, if true, that ain't no normal flatulence.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:A couple of threads I could have gone with this one...

Case President Thomas Dolan began to harass Clem and his wife when the smell of Richard's flatulence began to overpower the aroma of pork roll, according to the lawsuit.
The most interesting part of that article is that there are brands of pork roll other than Taylor. This guy and apparently most of NJ (geographically) think I'm an idiot.

Timely, as I am working with a client on employee complaints about their "fragrance free work environment" policy. Fragrance sensitivity can qualify as a disability under the ADA, and fragrance free workplaces can be a required reasonable accommodation. The employees are insisting they have a right to wear perfume, even if it causes legit medical problems for a coworker. Not sure what reasonable accommodation you could provide for the lap band shits, maybe medical leave until his system sorts itself out? I wonder if the plant owner views being subjected to the stink of pork roll all day as a job benefit.

If TB gets to nerd out on weather, I can nerd out on employment law matters.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote:

The most interesting part of that article is that there are brands of pork roll other than Taylor. This guy and apparently most of NJ (geographically) think I'm an idiot.

Timely, as I am working with a client on employee complaints about their "fragrance free work environment" policy. Fragrance sensitivity can qualify as a disability under the ADA, and fragrance free workplaces can be a required reasonable accommodation. The employees are insisting they have a right to wear perfume, even if it causes legit medical problems for a coworker. Not sure what reasonable accommodation you could provide for the lap band shits, maybe medical leave until his system sorts itself out? I wonder if the plant owner views being subjected to the stink of pork roll all day as a job benefit.

Rolling with that, yesterday I was on a plane sitting next to a husband and wife who were scarfing up copious amounts of peanuts, and were well into the bag before I even sat down next to them, so the smell was quite noticeable. If I was a person with a peanut allergy that would have been a big issue.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The Sybian wrote: The most interesting part of that article is that there are brands of pork roll other than Taylor. This guy and apparently most of NJ (geographically) think I'm an idiot.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

The Sybian wrote:

That article was so right, until almost the very end...
Article wrote:As a central Jersey transplant who grew up in north Jersey, I’ve learned the error of my ways.
As soon as there is mention of "central Jersey", you've lost all credibility. You'll notice the author could not bring himself to legitimize the fictional region because he didn't capitalize central. South Jersey is a place. North Jersey is a place. Central Jersey is a myth some North Jerseyans propagate because they hate themselves.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I guess the farting lawsuit went OK, because Case Pork Roll Co. is looking to expand their Trenton, NJ plant.
Case owner and CEO Tom Grieb said plans call for expanding what's now a garage and storage area at the Washington Street plant into another slicing line.

The plant currently has one slicing line, so another one would literally double production. "And we would hire more people," Grieb said Thursday.
Literally! Exciting!
rass
The Dude

Re: Scrapple: Rarely is a Breakfast Meat so Blatently Identified

Post by rass »

NJ Man Attacks Another Over Stolen Taylor Ham, Beer

It wasn't clear if a stolen Taylor ham was recovered at the scene.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I still haven't checked out the first place. I know I should, but there are so many places around here that do their own baking that it seems wrong.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The place in Maplewood? I wanted to get there for lunch last week when I worked 1/2 a day, but got stuck on a phone call that ran too long to let me hit both there and Wawa for the wiener kids.

Been to the Bread Stand? Had a pastry and coffee there once (kid had a slice of hazelnut/chocolate cake). Need to go back and try some bread, I guess.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, Bread Stand is great. We went from going to Garwood every quarter or so for a good bakery to having both them and Liv in Millburn within a few miles.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

^^^
I got a loaf at The Bread Stand the last day it was open. :(

And more bad news for breakfast fans in NJ.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:55 pm ^^^
I got a loaf at The Bread Stand the last day it was open. :(

And more bad news for breakfast fans in NJ.
I just got a popup notification on my phone that Trump is ordering meat packing plants remain open despite the numerous mass infections. Thanks Trump!
-Pruitt