WTF Does "Progressive" Mean

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

WTF Does "Progressive" Mean

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I have questions, but I don't want to keep cluttering up the Presidential election thread ...

What does it mean to say a candidate or proposal or law was "progressive"?

Is there a minimum standard necessary for someone or something to be progressive? What is that standard?

Was the ACA progressive? If not, why not? Was the version the House passed in 2009 (which included a public option) progressive?

Relatedly, is it appropriate to grade on a curve? In decided whether candidate is or isn't progressive, does it matter at all how the candidate compares to others in US history? If we're talking about a law or proposal, does it matter if the law is the most progressive option that could pass Congress or get voter approval?

I personally think progressivism means improving the lot of the disadvantaged and marginalized in a nontrivial way; that the ACA was progressive (as was the CARES Act) as it materially improved the lives of millions of people; that Hillary Clinton was progressive because her policies would have materially improved the lives of millions of people; and that the policies Joe Biden is running on are also progressive for that same reason.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Re: WTF Does "Progressive" Mean

Post by mister d »

I think most of our debates here come down to whether incremental gains should be celebrated or if they're used as a tool to keep existing structures in place. The ACA had some obvious direct gains, but it still leaves tens of millions uninsured, even more under-insured and multiples of that perpetually at risk of a financially catastrophic illness/injury. So before/after you can say "look at these people who now have these amounts covered", you didn't tangibly alter a flawed system and you really can't celebrate yourself or your policy as progressive in front of the 20MM people who were deemed an allowable trade-off.

Also: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/05/heal ... ofits.html
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(And "well they would have fought us or stopped us, its the best we could do" isn't progressive. The best you're willing to fight for or think you're allowed to do doesn't alter the definition.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

In the historical sense, going back to the start of the turn of the 20th Century when the term rose to prominence, “progressive” meant fighting for the economic benefits of workers and common people as opposed to corporate and wealthy interests. That’s still a good definition in my opinion. “Progressive” does not mean “it’s okay if the same handful of insurance, tech and finance companies continue to have outsized influence if we have equal political and social rights for minorities.”

While the ACA was an improvement in certain respects it was also designed to largely keep power and money in the hands of private health insurers. That’s why it didn’t include a public option—and also why I strongly suspect Biden will quickly drop his support for a public option after the election. The CARES Act was also not very progressive in that it wound up being a huge boon to large corporations and equity holders—as evidenced by the stock market recouping virtually all of its losses—but hasn’t prevented millions from facing poverty, homelessness and food insecurity. I know that it temporarily had a poverty mitigation effect but that effect appears to have worn off while the stock market continues to boom.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I also think you can’t deem Democrats as “progressive” based on the standard that this is the best we can get in this country while ignoring the host of other countries that have done the “unattainable.” Popular politicians have the power to shape public opinion and change the scope of what’s “possible.” If Obama and Hillary endorsed Warren early in the Democratic primary, she wins it in a landslide. But they didn’t do that because they don’t want a politician who supports the type of aggressive financial reforms she had championed to be the leader of the party. That’s also why there was never a chance that Biden would pick Warren over Harris for VP.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nothing. Same as liberal or conservative.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

It means different things to different people...which why the Democratic party has such a hard time unifying liberals and why we have the discussion in the Presidential Race thread.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Long track lengths with self-indulgent solos and space themes?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:31 pm Long track lengths with self-indulgent solos and space themes?
That's the only definition I'll get into discussing anything about in this thread.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Flo’s employer.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

bfj wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:27 pmFlo’s employer.
Or that I suppose, to be fair.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:29 pm
bfj wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:27 pmFlo’s employer.
Or that I suppose, to be fair.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

On one level, I think it means anti-liberal, just like conservative means anti-liberal (though for different reasons). Nobody wants to be branded with the L-word.

But that’s not quite good enough, since liberals and progressives are often on the same side. In my head at least, the liberal thinks about process more than result, while the progressive thinks about result more than process. I think that’s why they often fight even as to issues where they agree as to what the result should be.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My personal take is that it's the catch all for fundamentally altering the balance of power and imposing better treatment and more freedom for the working class. It's a far more forward thinking political perspective than what we always seem to have year in and year out.

It is to progress what revolution is to evolution.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Joe K wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:42 pm In the historical sense, going back to the start of the turn of the 20th Century when the term rose to prominence, “progressive” meant fighting for the economic benefits of workers and common people as opposed to corporate and wealthy interests. That’s still a good definition in my opinion. “Progressive” does not mean “it’s okay if the same handful of insurance, tech and finance companies continue to have outsized influence if we have equal political and social rights for minorities.”

While the ACA was an improvement in certain respects it was also designed to largely keep power and money in the hands of private health insurers. That’s why it didn’t include a public option—and also why I strongly suspect Biden will quickly drop his support for a public option after the election. The CARES Act was also not very progressive in that it wound up being a huge boon to large corporations and equity holders—as evidenced by the stock market recouping virtually all of its losses—but hasn’t prevented millions from facing poverty, homelessness and food insecurity. I know that it temporarily had a poverty mitigation effect but that effect appears to have worn off while the stock market continues to boom.
That's populist, no? Maybe they are similar though.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Populism is more appealing to people than appealing to progress across the board, right? It's a tool that can be used by progressives but also by non-progressives depending on the candidate. It's a technique not an ideology.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:17 pm Populism is more appealing to people than appealing to progress across the board, right? It's a tool that can be used by progressives but also by non-progressives depending on the candidate. It's a technique not an ideology.
I think of progressivism as essentially left-populism. Right-populism might have some overlap, such as anti-free trade or anti-monopoly views, but also tends to center Christianity and jingoistic patriotism, while opposing immigration. Right-populism also generally tends to be way more opposed to government regulation than left-populism.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Joe K wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:42 pm In the historical sense, going back to the start of the turn of the 20th Century when the term rose to prominence, “progressive” meant fighting for the economic benefits of workers and common people as opposed to corporate and wealthy interests. That’s still a good definition in my opinion. “Progressive” does not mean “it’s okay if the same handful of insurance, tech and finance companies continue to have outsized influence if we have equal political and social rights for minorities.”

1. When you say the ACA didn’t include a public option, which version are you referring to? The one passed by the House - led by Nancy Pelosi - did have a public option. But it was torpedoed in the Senate by Joe Lieberman and a couple of guys from red states.

2. Are you folks saying that to be “progressive”, the Dems should not have passed any health reform at all in 2009-10? Because the only options were (1) pass the ACA, (2) pass a more limited reform, or (3) pass nothing.

Remember, there was a big health reform effort in 1993. Hillary Clinton headed a task force that proposed a strongly liberal universal health care bill. It involved a lot more government control than the ACA ultimately did. It limited premium increases. It provided for a national health board to oversee pricing of care itself.

It touched off massive opposition and ultimately failed without even getting a vote. It made health care untouchable for 15 years (and permanently branded Hillary as a big-government liberal among people who remember the whole thing).

3. If your position is that “progressive” means refusing to take the best option that’s available at a particular time, how do you square that with the claim that progressives care about the real-life men, women, and children who would benefit from taking that best option?

Shortly after the ACA went into effect, two of our staff got bad medical diagnoses. One was MS, the other was cancer. Because of the ACA, and only because of the ACA, they didn’t have to worry about becoming uninsurable due to their pre-existing conditions. (They’re both okay now.) Are you saying the truly progressive approach would have been to leave pre-existing condition exclusions in place in 2010? How would you explain that to my secretary?

4. What’s the minimum standard for a law or candidate to be progressive? Is the fact that something better could be imagined - as with the ACA and Cares Act - enough to make something non-progressive? If so, isn’t it impossible for any law to actually be progressive, since legislation *always* involves compromise?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Also (the sub-heading of that article):
Consumers are probably entitled to millions of dollars in rebates under Obamacare rules that cap companies’ profits
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The ACA could have been passed with a public option had Obama been willing to use the reconciliation process. But he didn’t do that because he (and his key advisors at the time) didn’t actually care about a public option very much. Also, if the party didn’t want Lieberman to torpedo good legislation, maybe Obama, et al. should have backed Ned Lamont, the more progressive challenger who beat Lieberman in a primary. What does it say about the “progressivism” of the Democratic Party that it’s leaders consistently oppose primary challenges from the left, even in a safe blue state like Connecticut against a terrible Democratic Senator like Lieberman?

ETA: I think we’ll see very soon how much the Democratic Party actually wants a public option. I’ve made my thoughts clear on what I expect to happen, even if Biden gets a Senate majority.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Ha. This is perfect for my point about primary challengers. Feinstein faced a primary challenge in 2018 from Kevin DeLeon, a younger more progressive state congressman who is the son of Latino immigrants. But guess who Obama, Biden, etc. campaigned for? But I’m glad we’re having “serious talks” with Feinstein after she torpedoed any efforts to have a meaningfully challenging confirmation hearing for Barrett.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Joe K wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:33 am The ACA could have been passed with a public option had Obama been willing to use the reconciliation process. But he didn’t do that because he (and his key advisors at the time) didn’t actually care about a public option very much. Also, if the party didn’t want Lieberman to torpedo good legislation, maybe Obama, et al. should have backed Ned Lamont, the more progressive challenger who beat Lieberman in a primary. What does it say about the “progressivism” of the Democratic Party that it’s leaders consistently oppose primary challenges from the left, even in a safe blue state like Connecticut against a terrible Democratic Senator like Lieberman?

ETA: I think we’ll see very soon how much the Democratic Party actually wants a public option. I’ve made my thoughts clear on what I expect to happen, even if Biden gets a Senate majority.
From 2009:
Said Pelosi: "We agree with the president that a public option will keep insurance companies honest and increase competition. There is strong support in the House for a public option. In the House, all three of our bills contain a public option, as does the bill from the Senate HELP Committee
It’s possible she was lying of course, but she appeared to want a public option at the time. And of course if Lamont had beaten Lieberman, the public option still would have been torpedoed by those other two red-state guys.

When you say that the public option could’ve been installed through reconciliation, what are you relying on for that? My understanding is that reconciliation is limited to budget matters. And I seem to recall several instances where that restriction hamstrung the ACA amendment that was passed through reconciliation.
Last edited by Steve of phpBB on Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Per Wikipedia:
The public option was initially proposed for the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, but was removed after Senator Joe Lieberman (I-CT) threatened a filibuster. Subsequently, the Obama White House did not include the public option into the bill passed under reconciliation.
Obama and the Senate could have also gotten rid of the filibuster if this were important enough to them, right? Sixty votes is a procedural hurdle not a Constitutional one. After all, that’s what I’ve been told the “most progressive Presidential candidate ever” will do in order to expand the Court, right?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Joe K wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:54 amHa. This is perfect for my point about primary challengers. Feinstein faced a primary challenge in 2018 from Kevin DeLeon, a younger more progressive state congressman who is the son of Latino immigrants. But guess who Obama, Biden, etc. campaigned for? But I’m glad we’re having “serious talks” with Feinstein after she torpedoed any efforts to have a meaningfully challenging confirmation hearing for Barrett.
Republicans are putting party over country!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:19 am
Joe K wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:54 amHa. This is perfect for my point about primary challengers. Feinstein faced a primary challenge in 2018 from Kevin DeLeon, a younger more progressive state congressman who is the son of Latino immigrants. But guess who Obama, Biden, etc. campaigned for? But I’m glad we’re having “serious talks” with Feinstein after she torpedoed any efforts to have a meaningfully challenging confirmation hearing for Barrett.
Republicans are putting party over country!
The Markey-Kennedy race was perfect because it put the lie to any suggestion that the Party is just deferring to seniority rather than actively trying to work against having more progressive elected officials.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wonder how many people parroted the Pelosi line about not supporting challengers when she used it against AOC et all. Its not about ideology, just simply protecting the party from being torn apart from the outside, for sure.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm just kind of let down in a sense that the rest of the developed world has as "standard" what we have to incrementally inch toward as "progressive."

There is literally zero reason the US is at where it's at in terms of freedom and care for its citizens.

We have a $23 Trillion GDP. We can do anything we fucking want. But we'd rather be locked in never ending wars and create a caste system of upper class/lower class instead.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:39 am I wonder how many people parroted the Pelosi line about not supporting challengers when she used it against AOC et all. Its not about ideology, just simply protecting the party from being torn apart from the outside, for sure.
Every now and then I chuckle when I think about how the guy who spent thousands of dollars on roses for Pelosi did that Twitter thread about how Biden had “already picked Warren” as VP. Dude’s been covering politics obsessively for over 15 years but was too blinded by his hero worship of Dem leaders to see the obvious fact that the Party would never want someone as progressive as Warren that close to the top spot.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Joe K wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:18 am Per Wikipedia:
The public option was initially proposed for the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, but was removed after Senator Joe Lieberman (I-CT) threatened a filibuster. Subsequently, the Obama White House did not include the public option into the bill passed under reconciliation.
Obama and the Senate could have also gotten rid of the filibuster if this were important enough to them, right? Sixty votes is a procedural hurdle not a Constitutional one. After all, that’s what I’ve been told the “most progressive Presidential candidate ever” will do in order to expand the Court, right?
That quote from Wikipedia doesn’t prove that the public option could have been enacted through reconciliation under the rules.

Could the Dems have changed the rules? Sure, if they wanted to permanently destroy any remaining hope that the Senate would operate as an institution. (Which, obviously, that hope is gone now anyway.) But if the Dems had changed the rules in order to jam the unpopular health reform through, there’s every chance they’d have lost the Senate and White House and the ACA would’ve been repealed before it went into effect.

Regarding Biden as the most progressive, I guess you’re right ... “third most progressive candidate ever and most progressive in a half-century” is more accurate.

Anyway, you talk about what isn’t progressive. What is?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Joe K wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:45 amEvery now and then I chuckle when I think about how the guy who spent thousands of dollars on roses for Pelosi did that Twitter thread about how Biden had “already picked Warren” as VP. Dude’s been covering politics obsessively for over 15 years but was too blinded by his hero worship of Dem leaders to see the obvious fact that the Party would never want someone as progressive as Warren that close to the top spot.
Kos. Gateway blog for me waaay back when.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:41 am I'm just kind of let down in a sense that the rest of the developed world has as "standard" what we have to incrementally inch toward as "progressive.”
I agree totally.

Sadly, I think a big part of the problem is that unlike most European countries, the US has not gone through centuries of wars and ethnic cleansing. When the European countries adopted their social welfare schemes like universal healthcare, they were ethnically homogeneous (mostly) and also had just been ground to dust in WW II.

Here, we have the racial element - they’re trying to take your stuff away.

I have no doubt that if a bill was proposed thirty or forty years ago to provide universal healthcare for God-fearin’ white folks, it would‘ve passed easily.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Isn't "they'll take your stuff away" the non-financial justification you use to shout down M4A?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:50 am
Joe K wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:18 am Per Wikipedia:
That quote from Wikipedia doesn’t prove that the public option could have been enacted through reconciliation under the rules.

Could the Dems have changed the rules? Sure, if they wanted to permanently destroy any remaining hope that the Senate would operate as an institution. (Which, obviously, that hope is gone now anyway.) But if the Dems had changed the rules in order to jam the unpopular health reform through, there’s every chance they’d have lost the Senate and White House and the ACA would’ve been repealed before it went into effect.

Regarding Biden as the most progressive, I guess you’re right ... “third most progressive candidate ever and most progressive in a half-century” is more accurate.

Anyway, you talk about what isn’t progressive. What is?
I think I summarized my views in the first post but if you want some specifics on effective progressive policies, I think this article from Nick Kristof on Denmark is a good start. There’s a reason why Danes consistently rate at or near the top of global surveys on happiness and quality of life.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... y.amp.html
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:13 am Isn't "they'll take your stuff away" the non-financial justification you use to shout down M4A?
Yes! That’s exactly my point!

A critical mass of American voters don’t want their stuff taken away to benefit minorities. So a plan proposing to do that is not going to succeed politically in the US.

(Now that Europe is facing ethnic diversity again, I don’t know if they’d create a system like that right now either.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

How strong would polling have to be for you to stop using taxes and/or deferring to racism as the basis to argue against M4A?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So basically if one side is yelling "fuck _____ people getting equal healthcare" and the other side is yelling "fuck you, everyone should have healthcare", what would you need to see polling or otherwise to stop playing the understanding middle?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:03 am I have no doubt that if a bill was proposed thirty or forty years ago to provide universal healthcare for God-fearin’ white folks, it would‘ve passed easily.
Well, there was The Wagner National Health Act of 1939, then Truman's attempted to pass national health insurance in the aftermath of the war that was seen as "straight-up socialism." Medicare/aide was about your time frame away, but that was fought tooth and nail.

Canada took about 50 years or so to enact UHC across the country, so ACA can be seen as a step in the right direction even if it was watered down to get through Congress.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:39 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:03 am I have no doubt that if a bill was proposed thirty or forty years ago to provide universal healthcare for God-fearin’ white folks, it would‘ve passed easily.
Well, there was The Wagner National Health Act of 1939, then Truman's attempted to pass national health insurance in the aftermath of the war that was seen as "straight-up socialism." Medicare/aide was about your time frame away, but that was fought tooth and nail.

Canada took about 50 years or so to enact UHC across the country, so ACA can be seen as a step in the right direction even if it was watered down to get through Congress.
Yup and even Canada's UHC is really 50/50. For example no eyes and no teeth. UHC from head to toe has been proposed by the New Democratic Party but it's not getting very far. So again, when UHC is proposed in the states it has to be defined. ACA was a step, but it also hurt people who had good plans.

As for the the meaning of progressive. It means to govern towards a change in attitudes, opposite of conservative. This is often discovered by science.
Gay rights is the best example I can think of. In the past it was believed that homosexuality was the work of the devil and people chose to be gay. But as science shows that is not a choice, then laws are made to protect those who cannot choose and are really equal under the law. Or racism. when the country was mostly white, it wasn't known about other races, maybe they were different, they were evil, fear of the unknown. But now that it's been shown everyone is equal, laws should 'progress' to reflect that.

UHC on the other hand is not really a progressive thing that people say it is. I don't think that definition fits. It's just a choice between should healthcare be public or private.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:02 am How strong would polling have to be for you to stop using taxes and/or deferring to racism as the basis to argue against M4A?
Given that we have a country that hates taxes and fears disruption of their own access to medical care? Very strong. The questions would have to explicitly include personally paying increased taxes and prohibition on private insurance. And you’d need clear favorability among the politically powerful.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:06 am So basically if one side is yelling "fuck _____ people getting equal healthcare" and the other side is yelling "fuck you, everyone should have healthcare", what would you need to see polling or otherwise to stop playing the understanding middle?
I’m not sure how relevant this framing is. The Dem position is that “everyone should have healthcare.”

But anyway, what I'd need to see is clear evidence that taking the “everyone gets healthcare” position would not lead to Republicans taking power. Because Republicans taking power has very bad effects on the lives of millions of people.