2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

Post Reply
User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20813
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by mister d » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:03 am

"Thank God we got non-tendered Osuna! I’m so fucking glad we non-tendered Osuna!" - Giff
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17299
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by A_B » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:06 pm

Tony La Russa? What the actual fuck?
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by EnochRoot » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:11 pm

We played La Russa as vigorously as we would Tecmo Bowl back in the day.

Image

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20813
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by mister d » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:14 pm

It would be a lot funnier if he weren't a racist now managing an entertaining, young, non-white core.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17299
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by A_B » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:17 pm

mister d wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:14 pm
It would be a lot funnier if he weren't a racist now managing an entertaining, young, non-white core.
In South Chicago.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12346
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by sancarlos » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:28 pm

A_B wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:06 pm
Tony La Russa? What the actual fuck?
Well, Casey Stengel was not available.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5891
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by DSafetyGuy » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:36 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:28 pm
A_B wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:06 pm
Tony La Russa? What the actual fuck?
Well, Casey Stengel was not available.
Take it from Sancarlos, an expert on elderly men.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12346
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by sancarlos » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:52 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:36 pm
sancarlos wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:28 pm
A_B wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:06 pm
Tony La Russa? What the actual fuck?
Well, Casey Stengel was not available.
Take it from Sancarlos, an expert on elderly men.
Man, I walk right into these, don't I? Like Sideshow Bob and a rake on the ground.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17299
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by A_B » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:29 am

sancarlos wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:52 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:36 pm
sancarlos wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:28 pm
A_B wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:06 pm
Tony La Russa? What the actual fuck?
Well, Casey Stengel was not available.
Take it from Sancarlos, an expert on elderly men.
Man, I walk right into these, don't I? Like Sideshow Bob and a rake on the ground.
From The Ringer, looks like Stengel may have been considered:

"La Russa’s achievements, estimable though they may be, are in the past. The fairly distant past, in fact—La Russa hasn’t managed a team in nine years. When it comes to the best manager for an up-and-coming team in 2021, his résumé is about as relevant as Casey Stengel’s. Had Reinsdorf exhumed Stengel, draped a jersey over his bones, and endowed those bones with the authority to make pitching changes, the White Sox might have been better off."
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by EnochRoot » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:33 pm

Blake Snell traded to San Diego.

Good for the Yankees because Snell is out.
Better for Snell because Cash and TB decision-making might’ve cost him millions.
Best for SD because it’s on like Donkey Kong in the NL West.

User avatar
degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 9635
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by degenerasian » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:43 pm

Not sure it's good for the AL East. Rays probably got a ton of prospects back.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by EnochRoot » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:15 am

degenerasian wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:43 pm
Not sure it's good for the AL East. Rays probably got a ton of prospects back.
I mean, the Rays can flat-out evaluate talent. They definitely got high-upside guys coming back. Patiño and Wilcox are the guys they envision bettering their pitching staff, and Hunt looks like a C with upside.

But..It’s great for the AL East because it lost a 27 year old, former Cy Young Award winner (who was in the midst of arguably the greatest WS elimination-game pitching performance before he was unceremoniously yanked) who got sent(enced) to the NL West.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12346
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by sancarlos » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:50 pm

EnochRoot wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:15 am
sent(enced) to the NL West.
WTF you talking about? I'd guess lots of players find it pretty desirable to live in those sunny cities, and the number of free agents who sign with SD/LA/SF/AZ tend to back that up.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by EnochRoot » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:28 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:50 pm
EnochRoot wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:15 am
sent(enced) to the NL West.
WTF you talking about? I'd guess lots of players find it pretty desirable to live in those sunny cities, and the number of free agents who sign with SD/LA/SF/AZ tend to back that up.
I didn’t mean that as aspersion on the NL West or the west coast in general for that matter. Just from the perspective of the Yankees, Jays, Sox, O’s. The Rays may likely take a significant step backward in 2021.

User avatar
degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 9635
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by degenerasian » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:30 pm

Padres have signed Ha-Seong Kim and are close to signing Yu Darvish. Going all in.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5614
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by Steve of phpBB » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:58 pm

degenerasian wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:30 pm
Padres have signed Ha-Seong Kim and are close to signing Yu Darvish. Going all in.
Yup. The Cubs and Padres finalized their trade. The Cubs have thrown in the towel for 2021-22.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by EnochRoot » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:07 pm

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:58 pm
degenerasian wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:30 pm
Padres have signed Ha-Seong Kim and are close to signing Yu Darvish. Going all in.
Yup. The Cubs and Padres finalized their trade. The Cubs have thrown in the towel for 2021-22.
They were reporting on MLB Network the fact the Cubs invested so much in the area around the park (hotel, the rooftops, etc) is why they’re looking to shed payroll. They’re looking to move Bryant before the start of the season, too (which is why Theo bailed)..

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5614
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by Steve of phpBB » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:18 pm

EnochRoot wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:07 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:58 pm
degenerasian wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:30 pm
Padres have signed Ha-Seong Kim and are close to signing Yu Darvish. Going all in.
Yup. The Cubs and Padres finalized their trade. The Cubs have thrown in the towel for 2021-22.
They were reporting on MLB Network the fact the Cubs invested so much in the area around the park (hotel, the rooftops, etc) is why they’re looking to shed payroll. They’re looking to move Bryant before the start of the season, too (which is why Theo bailed)..
What I've always heard is that they were counting for a long time on making tons of money from owning their own regional network. But by the time their old broadcast deals expired and they set the network up, the money wasn't there anymore.

Plus, the Cubs are owned by hard-core Republicans who are fucking assholes.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20813
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by mister d » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:11 am

I expect the seemingly inevitable Benintendi trade to be the opposite of the Betts trade.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
EdRomero
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1574
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by EdRomero » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:55 pm

mister d wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:11 am
I expect the seemingly inevitable Benintendi trade to be the opposite of the Betts trade.
If they trade him now, I feel like they're selling low

User avatar
Rex
The Dude
Posts: 5241
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by Rex » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:46 am



What a great deal that is. How did it take so long?

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20813
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by mister d » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:58 am

You could have given me 20 guesses and I bet I wouldn't have come close to getting that contract right.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
Ryan
The Dude
Posts: 7959
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by Ryan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:28 am

Yeah seriously. Some NHL team should’ve gotten in on that
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17299
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by A_B » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:32 am

Ryan wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:28 am
Yeah seriously. Some NHL team should’ve gotten in on that
Yeah, but then the Browns would only have $8 million left under the cap.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12346
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by sancarlos » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:25 pm

Ryan wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:28 am
Yeah seriously. Some NHL team should’ve gotten in on that
Ha ha yeah. LeMahieu would have the highest AAV in the entire NHL.

Mamas, don't let your babies choose hockey over baseball.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
Rex
The Dude
Posts: 5241
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by Rex » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:28 pm



This is Joe Biden’s America.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20813
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by mister d » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:39 pm

This has a big “remembering out of nowhere that Kluber had three starts here” potential for 2024. Would have preferred another spin with Paxton.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
Ryan
The Dude
Posts: 7959
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by Ryan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:53 pm

I loved him in The Goonies
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The

User avatar
bfj
Donny
Posts: 2874
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by bfj » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:05 pm

Apparently the Orioles spent a lot of their international money today. This wasn’t done before Elias got here. Sounds like they signed two high quality young prospects. That’s all I got.

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-2020-2 ... e-coverage
Enjoy every sandwich.

Beefy Frank Jackson at your service.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14677
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by rass » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:07 am

The Mets.

And really the Cubs. Seems like someone(s) there knew about this at least.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5614
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by Steve of phpBB » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:22 am

rass wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:07 am
The Mets.

And really the Cubs. Seems like someone(s) there knew about this at least.
Yeah, every day I find myself hating the Cubs just a little bit more.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 9635
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by degenerasian » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:24 am

I'm curious if sending dick pics has ever worked for anyone to get the girl.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

User avatar
bfj
Donny
Posts: 2874
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by bfj » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:18 pm

TPTNBNL
Enjoy every sandwich.

Beefy Frank Jackson at your service.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
The Dude
Posts: 5155
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by DaveInSeattle » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:34 pm

degenerasian wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:24 am
I'm curious if sending dick pics has ever worked for anyone to get the girl.
Definitely not after 60+ ignored previous messages.

User avatar
MaxWebster
Bunny Lebowski
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:07 pm

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by MaxWebster » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:01 pm

Jays sign Springer last night and just now Michael Brantley.

have to think they're trying to move an OF for a SP at this point, but that lineup in various configurations looks pretty damn good.

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6659
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by Giff » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:35 pm

The George Springer media makeover will be just as fun as the Harden one, I'm sure!
Muh.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20813
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: 2020-21 MLB Offseason Thread

Post by mister d » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:54 pm

There's nothing really ugly in his advanced offensive stats, but I wouldn't bet on a big, wrong side of 30 CF for six years.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

Post Reply