Election Week 2020

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by DaveInSeattle »

These kind of stories are going to be my lifeblood for the next few weeks...

‘This f---ing virus’: Inside Donald Trump’s 2020 undoing
Trump was perplexed. The economy was strong. The president had built an enormous political infrastructure and was raking in hundreds of millions of dollars. That month, Trump’s campaign conducted a $1.1 million polling project showing him leading prospective Democratic challengers even in blue states such as Colorado, New Mexico, and New Hampshire.

“Sir, regardless, this is coming. It’s the only thing that could take down your presidency,” Parscale told the president.

Trump snapped.

“This fucking virus,” Trump asked dismissively, according to a person with direct knowledge of the exchange, “what does it have to do with me getting reelected?”
And this:
Senior campaign and GOP officials vented that Trump’s finance team, led by former Fox TV host and Donald Trump Jr. girlfriend Kimberly Guilfoyle, underperformed and was an HR nightmare. Trump couldn’t compete with Biden’s small-dollar fundraising machine, and some donors were horrified by what they described as Guilfoyle’s lack of professionalism: She frequently joked about her sex life and, at one fundraiser, offered a lap dance to the donor who gave the most money.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:28 pm This really does feel like a dictator has fallen.
All the way down Wisconsin, you had people on the streets banging pots, and almost every car honking their horns. It was incredible. We drove down Mass Ave so we could hit up Kamala's new home... A group was there with a sign to that effect.

We know how to park outside the shit, so we stopped up on 19th and then hoofed it down to Black Lives Matter Plaza and it was just fucking awesome.

I know I talk about the Women's March, but this felt like that... But also the vibe the night the Caps took the Cup.

Magic.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:04 pm
tennbengal wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:28 pm This really does feel like a dictator has fallen.
All the way down Wisconsin, you had people on the streets banging pots, and almost every car honking their horns. It was incredible. We drove down Mass Ave so we could hit up Kamala's new home... A group was there with a sign to that effect.

We know how to park outside the shit, so we stopped up on 19th and then hoofed it down to Black Lives Matter Plaza and it was just fucking awesome.

I know I talk about the Women's March, but this felt like that... But also the vibe the night the Caps took the Cup.

Magic.
Thats awesome. And it looks like a perfect day out....
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:05 pm

Magic.
75 degrees... gorgeous.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:11 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:05 pm

Magic.
75 degrees... gorgeous.
I'm seeing the vides from NY...and it looks like its summer time

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I am just starting to process how terrified I have been for four years. The relief is almost overwhelming.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:33 pm I am just starting to process how terrified I have been for four years. The relief is almost overwhelming.
I've cried 5 times today.

I'm not saying this as some macho thing, but I'm Irish Protestant and my dad NEVER cried. That's my model. I just don't do it. Which is maybe a little surprising--I'm not exactly stoic.

My emotions are fucking all over the damn place today, and it's exactly what you are saying. 4 years of this fucking shit.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

I'll believe it when the lawsuits aren't pending and Biden is sworn in. I don't trust this
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

TT2.0 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:44 pm I'll believe it when the lawsuits aren't pending and Biden is sworn in. I don't trust this
In your version we have civil war. I am thinking even the Roberts court doesn’t want that.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

degenerasian wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:41 pm
true, i haven't seen scenes like this since the Berlin Wall fell.
You're right.

What a stunning indictment.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The outpouring of joy from much of the world caught me off guard. The scenes from Paris in particular made me tear up again.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:01 pm
You're right.

Walking and driving around DC today, it truly looked like an island nation or S. American country celebrating a major rebuke of a dictator. Or winning an important WC match. Take your pick.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's a bit embarrassing even if it's understandable -- Trump winning re-election could have literally spelled the end of the republic. I suppose if nothing else that that is worth celebrating.

Anyway, I had some thoughts myself. Get your hot takes here.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I know I tweeted this already, but it seems to fit with the discussion.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

psunate77 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:11 pm Now I’m getting anxiety.

*Now* you’re getting anxiety?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Lol. Such persistent trolling.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Decent thread here:

(And yeah, if you think the turnout in the streets to celebrate him officially being voted out of office was impressive, just wait until what happens if there's a coup d'etat when the Electoral College meets. I honestly don't doubt that it occurred to him or at least his minions, but no...just no...it's over. He's done.)
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Every second that Trump spends contesting the election hurts Tweedeldee and Tweedeldum in Georgia, which will end up having elected Biden by about 10,000 votes.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So fuck you FDR!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yup. Here’s the latest. Love this so much because Georgia + Nevada is a firewall against trump + Supreme Court shenanigans in PA.

9000 votes up is a BIG FUCKING deal.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:07 pm The outpouring of joy from much of the world caught me off guard. The scenes from Paris in particular made me tear up again.
It's nice to think that a lot of the world still loves America and realizes that Trump isn't who we are (even if he's probably a lot closer to the "real" America than a lot of them realize.)
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Wife livestreamed from 10th and piedmont. Actual dancing in the streets.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:25 pm Yup. Here’s the latest. Love this so much because Georgia + Nevada is a firewall against trump + Supreme Court shenanigans in PA.

9000 votes up is a BIG FUCKING deal.
Yup.

There will not be a coup at the Electoral College vote. The electors are party loyalists. Hell, Hillary is one of Biden’s electors from NY. We’re not going to have two or three dozen Dem electors vote for Trump.

Shenanigans are possible - theoretically - by state legislatures or the courts. But by definition any court ruling could only affect votes in one state. So you’d need two or three separate rulings. And I don’t know what kind of ruling could overturn the kind of margins Biden will likely have in GA, let alone NV or PA.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:09 pm
Pruitt wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:01 pm
You're right.

Walking and driving around DC today, it truly looked like an island nation or S. American country celebrating a major rebuke of a dictator. Or winning an important WC match. Take your pick.

It was like that here for 6 hours. A very annoying 6 hours but at least we aren't gonna become North Korea now.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

46 wrote: “We will lead not by the example of our power, but by the power of our example.”
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

He fucking crushed that speech. I hope I'm that spry at 77.

Seriously feels like America won the Super Bowl or something.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

What a fucking awesome speech that was. Holy shit.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I guess after ten months of being told Biden is a drooling imbecile by the trump team they really lowered the bar but that speech would have cleared any bar.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:02 pm He fucking crushed that speech. I hope I'm that spry at 77.

Because the media is the media we didn’t see a lot of him, but his Gettysburg speech was pretty damn good too. Not just because he won because it’s easy to Monday Morning QB but Biden might have been the right person all along. The election results prove Trump wasn’t a flawed candidate, they prove it was going to take an amazing turnout to beat Trump.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:11 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:02 pm He fucking crushed that speech. I hope I'm that spry at 77.

Because the media is the media we didn’t see a lot of him, but his Gettysburg speech was pretty damn good too. Not just because he won because it’s easy to Monday Morning QB but Biden might have been the right person all along. The election results prove Trump wasn’t a flawed candidate, they prove it was going to take an amazing turnout to beat Trump.
Aye.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Politicians aren’t real people, but it’s so refreshing to hear political speeches from folks who are in the same ballpark as real people.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

He really does seem to take joy in being part of a family. That’s gonna be a nice change.

Also,

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:10 pm What a fucking awesome speech that was. Holy shit.
+1
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So good.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.