Election Week 2020

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 7557
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by tennbengal » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:41 pm

They've changed it - you have to put whoever you want on your "foe" list and their posts are automatically hidden, apparently.

http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb/app.php/help/faq#f6r0

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5751
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by DSafetyGuy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:51 pm

tennbengal wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:41 pm
They've changed it - you have to put whoever you want on your "foe" list and their posts are automatically hidden, apparently.

http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb/app.php/help/faq#f6r0
This is correct.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16527
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Pruitt » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:09 pm

tennbengal wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:33 pm
Thanks for this.

I will sleep better tonight!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5295
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Steve of phpBB » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:34 am

Good morning, and welcome to Day 11 of Election Week.

The remaining networks have all called AZ for Biden, so it really does look like he will get that historic landslide blowout magic number of 306.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20274
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by mister d » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:53 am

tennbengal wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:37 pm
As god is my witness, I can't figure out how I did it. But it must be possible, because he's on ignore. As was DC47 back in the day.
The process definitely changed and its still not a fail-safe because I'm not perpetually logged in.
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
L-Jam3
Donny
Posts: 2790
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 am

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by L-Jam3 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:41 am

Damon Young of The Root offers conciliation:

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Andre "The Hawk" Dawson with 438.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4964
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Election Day 2020

Post by DaveInSeattle » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:18 pm

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:00 pm
True to her word...here's the cover:

Iris - by Phoebe & Maggie

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3771
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by P.D.X. » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:03 pm

where's nate


User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4964
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by DaveInSeattle » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:44 pm


User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12593
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by The Sybian » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:01 pm

I can't stand Meghan McCain, but this is funny.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12075
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Johnnie » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:32 pm

As a future Arizonan, 🤣🤣🤣.



My Arizona friends and I use this as a meme between each other:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12075
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Johnnie » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:48 pm

Georgia officially called for Biden.

ETA



ETA2

Manchester

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12075
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Johnnie » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:17 pm

Now Trump.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
Ryan
The Dude
Posts: 7879
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Ryan » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:41 pm

I did a stats:

If you add up the total votes that every current senator (not including the two GA seats) got during their most recent election:

50 Republican Senators - 62,340,508
48 Democrat Senators - 78,722,954

(Dems got 58% of the vote in their wins. GOP got 55% in theirs. The Dem percentage probably should be a bit higher because California's general election had no Republican candidates on the ballot)

"Hey bad stats guy," you say, "that's probably pretty skewed towards the GOP since it was mostly their seats that were at stake this year when turnout was so high. Why don't you run the numbers again, normalizing each state's turnout to 2020?"

50 R - 70,602,678
48 D - 96,597,301 (!)

___________________________________

OK, back to blind analysis. Since we don't have a 2022 election thread, here are the Dems that are currently expected to be defending their seat:

AZ - Kelly
CA - (Harris seat)
CO - Bennet
CT - Blumenthal
HI - Schatz
IL - Duckworth
MD - Van Hollen
NV - Masto
NH - Hassan
NY - Schumer
OR - Wyden
VT - Leahy
WA - Murray

Obviously a lot can happen in 2 years, but where are the potential GOP pickups? Hassan won by like 1000 votes and either a returning Ayotte or Gov. Sununu could be a problem, but NH's getting bluer by the day. I'd put Kelly, Bennet, and Masto in similar buckets. Elected by narrow margins but the demographics tilt their way. Everything else is a non-starter barring a catastrophe, right?

A sampling of risky GOP seats at stake:

NC - Burr (retiring)
PA - Toomey (retiring)
WI - Johnson
MO - Blunt
FL - Rubio??
IN - Young??
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12074
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by sancarlos » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:57 pm

Good stuff Turd. If you ever get tired of cartography, you should see if Nate Silver is hiring.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21989
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by brian » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:05 pm

Masto would be dead nuts safe if not for Dems propensity for shitting bed in off-year elections with Dem in presidency. She’s very popular nationally and in NV especially with Latinos. Remind them she’s the first Latina ever in the Senate and that will firm up the LatinX vote in NV.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5295
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Steve of phpBB » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:58 am

If Covid is truly behind us and people feel like the economy has recovered, then the Dems should be fine in 2022. But we were in a very similar position twelve years ago, and things didn’t turn out so great in 2010.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
Square Rob
Brandt
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Square Rob » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:09 am

Just waiting for the tea party redux after a stimulus is passed for covid relief.

User avatar
Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 am

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Brontoburglar » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:38 am

Roy Blunt's seat is exceptionally safe in Missouri. We went Trump +16 and Democrats only put up a fight statewide in the governor's race.

ETA: Missouri has trended red quickly because of the growth of the Springfield area. KC and StL are no longer the two (only) dominant metro areas. The southwest part of the state is basically just a giant blob of white evangelical suburbia now.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5744
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Shirley » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:38 pm

Brontoburglar wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:38 am
Roy Blunt's seat is exceptionally safe in Missouri. We went Trump +16 and Democrats only put up a fight statewide in the governor's race.

ETA: Missouri has trended red quickly because of the growth of the Springfield area. KC and StL are no longer the two (only) dominant metro areas. The southwest part of the state is basically just a giant blob of white evangelical suburbia now.
Image
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
EdRomero
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by EdRomero » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:10 pm


Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12075
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Johnnie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:26 pm

Still astounds me that this many people voted for Trump.

https://cookpolitical.com/2020-national ... te-tracker?

I feel like the vast majority are just Republicans that can hold their nose for someone so vile and thus any person running for president with a "-R" would get this much or more, but man. It's really sad.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5751
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by DSafetyGuy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:45 pm

Johnnie wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:26 pm
Still astounds me that this many people voted for Trump.

https://cookpolitical.com/2020-national ... te-tracker?

I feel like the vast majority are just Republicans that can hold their nose for someone so vile and thus any person running for president with a "-R" would get this much or more, but man. It's really sad.
The county where my dad and a significant number of my extended family live in Ohio had an increase in their percentage of Trump voters since 2016 (80% --> 82.3%).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12075
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Johnnie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:46 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:45 pm
Johnnie wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:26 pm
Still astounds me that this many people voted for Trump.

https://cookpolitical.com/2020-national ... te-tracker?

I feel like the vast majority are just Republicans that can hold their nose for someone so vile and thus any person running for president with a "-R" would get this much or more, but man. It's really sad.
The county where my dad and a significant number of my extended family live in Ohio had an increase in their percentage of Trump voters since 2016 (80% --> 82.3%).
This random Reddit poster likens Trump to Tyler Durden and it actually makes complete sense. (Placed in spoiler tag because it's kind of a big post.)
[+] spoiler
The world has been leaving them behind for many years. Honestly, something needs to be done about it, because there are a lot of them. The world leaving them behind is one of the reasons why they like Trump, in my opinion. The best way that I have found to describe what they see in him is this:


*They see him as Tyler Durden.*


They have been hurt, left behind by the world, that has told them every day that their cultural ideas are the past, that they and their kind are being shoved aside for the new. They are going broke, their friends are dying of meth, and they can't get a job because they don't have one of those fancy college degrees. The people WITH the college degrees are in the positions of power over them, and treat them like crap. the Democrats seem only interested in women and minorities. Then along comes Trump, who tells them that he *hears* them.

Like Tyler Durden, he says "you - you are being oppressed by the changing of the world. I hear you, and I see you. The system has failed! I will tear down everything that has been built up in recent times, and return to the world the way it used to be. I won't start wars in the Middle east. I won't raise taxes. I won't take away your guns, which is one of the few ways you feel any power or control at all in your life. Also fuck those guys over there who say you don't matter! Fuck their feelings, and the things that they care about! You matter! I will make sure you aren't left behind!"

They look at Trump, a trust-fund baby who in reality *hates* them, and they see Tyler Durden. They think that he will tear it all down, and anything that will be left will be better than what they currently have. It is a spastic, violent reaction to real pain from real people who have been left behind by the world.

Against that, they just don't CARE about racism. They don't CARE about sexism. They don't CARE if he hurts people and damages the country, because that is what he is there to do. Reason and logic are out the window in the face of their pain. It is even worse, as they cannot really admit this pain to themselves, as they are "tough" and "self-reliant".

Trying to fix this will be even harder, because lashing out and causing destruction is a lot easier than actually working to fix the problem. So they will vote to put Republicans in charge who will keep the minimum wage low. They will vote against their best interests. They will have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the modern age, and forced to accept a world that cares for them.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
L-Jam3
Donny
Posts: 2790
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 am

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by L-Jam3 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:29 pm

And a spoiler, for a 20+ year old movie:
[+] spoiler
Trump, like Tyler Darden, is a complete fabrication that falls apart once you apply the slightest bit of examination.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Andre "The Hawk" Dawson with 438.

User avatar
EdRomero
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by EdRomero » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:40 am

Emily Murphy will be questioned by Katie Porter today (hopefully).

Some past highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRdB2c ... yuPbWfOZyw

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5295
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Steve of phpBB » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:35 am

According to https://cookpolitical.com/2020-national-popular-vote-tracker, Biden's vote count has now gone past 80 million.

His lead is up to 6.15 million.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5295
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Steve of phpBB » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:44 am

Also, Pennsylvania has certified its results.

Biden beat Trump by a little more than 80,000. Jorgenson got 79,380.

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
Rex
The Dude
Posts: 5064
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Rex » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:01 pm

Why didn't Trump just attack California and New York's elections? It's not like the margins were close enough anywhere for a granular approach to work anyway. One of his biggest problems was that Pennsylvania/Michigan/Georgia/Arizona were prepared for the shitshow because they saw it coming. Their bureaucrats learned lessons from prior close elections. Meanwhile, NY stopped caring about the quality of its elections years ago and I'm not sure CA is much better. And it's easy to sell the GOP on a broadside attack on NY and CA. I'm beginning to think this Trump guy is not the brightest.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5295
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Steve of phpBB » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:21 pm

Rex wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:01 pm
Why didn't Trump just attack California and New York's elections? It's not like the margins were close enough anywhere for a granular approach to work anyway. One of his biggest problems was that Pennsylvania/Michigan/Georgia/Arizona were prepared for the shitshow because they saw it coming. Their bureaucrats learned lessons from prior close elections. Meanwhile, NY stopped caring about the quality of its elections years ago and I'm not sure CA is much better. And it's easy to sell the GOP on a broadside attack on NY and CA. I'm beginning to think this Trump guy is not the brightest.
I dunno. I don't think it was totally insane for Trump to think that the Republicans in charge of those states *might* use their power, illegally, quasi-legally, and potentially legally, to throw their states' electoral votes to Trump. Democrats are in charge of NY and CA, so no way.

If it had come down to one of those four states, it's quite possible they would have gone through with some bullshit to throw the election to Trump.

Thank god for those 43,000 votes out of 160 million cast.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5295
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Steve of phpBB » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:34 pm

NY just dumped a bunch of absentee/early ballot results.

Biden's popular vote total is now over 81 million and his lead is 6.9 million.

Pretty nice.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

Gunpowder
The Dude
Posts: 6882
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:52 am
Location: Dipshitville, FL
Contact:

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Gunpowder » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:36 am

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:44 am
Also, Pennsylvania has certified its results.

Biden beat Trump by a little more than 80,000. Jorgenson got 79,380.

Holy shit he won by 1.01 Jorgs!
"Enjoyed this one," Gunpowder told the Burlington Observer. "But it's back to work tomorrow."

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12075
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Election Week 2020

Post by Johnnie » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:44 am

So has there been a definitive article written yet about the true effect of the ratfucking of the Post Office and its influence in the election?

Or is it just swept under the umbrella of "people voted so soon that dismantling high speed sorters didn't matter. Nice try, DeJoy."

Because, man, those couple months leading up to the election were doom and gloom, cataclysmic, earth is ending level media coverage and it seems like a while bunch of people were able to vote without issue.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

Post Reply