The WH Transition Thread --- all things Trump to Biden until Inauguration

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: The WH Transition Thread --- all things Trump to Biden until Inauguration

Post by A_B »

I’ll need to see a map but I think I understand.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Totally here for the procedural boilerplate regarding authenticity of the certificates.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Marjorie Green objects to her own State where she was just elected.

No Senators went sling tho.

PA was just objected by Hawley.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

How the fuck is shit like this allowed? From Lin Wood's Parler account..

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You probably don't want to watch Hasan Piker rant for 30 minutes on his twitch stream, but it's kinda worth it if you do.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

How did I miss this guy today?

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Everyone here is asleep, but I got you.

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So Pence finally had to declare Biden the winner (and himself the loser). The chaplain’s closing prayer wasn’t exactly subtle either.

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

18 U.S. Code § 2384, which sets forth the crime of seditious conspiracy:
If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.
Cruz. Hawley. Guiliani. Ron Johnson. And, of course, the Cheeto. Among others.
Last edited by tennbengal on Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

My fave baseball writer (and ex-lawyer) Craig Calcaterra from his newsletter today (making his own money after NBC laid him off):
Some will likely say that this was just protest that got out of hand, but this was not people simply blowing off steam or aimlessly wilding.

The action was not impulsive or thoughtless. It was organized on social media. It was plotted for days. That plotting and preparation caused those who were in on the plot to stand ready for their final orders. Those orders came via the President’s incitement. The objective — which was successful for many hours — was to disrupt the workings of the United States Congress as it was in the process of effecting the peaceful transition of power via its validation of the results of the Electoral College from the 2020 election.

If that is not using force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of the laws of the United States, nothing is. By definition, it was sedition.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Also, clearly in part an inside job yesterday, right? The video of a group of Capitol Police pulling the barriers back at one place and ushering the mob in is kinda hard to explain otherwise.

But also, an inside job in that there was clearly not enough security in place given the advance notice everyone had about the plans for this. And because DC Mayor Bowser's request for Nat'l Guard support in the week prior to this was ignored. And because of reports that someone in the west wing was in communication with the insurrectionists when they got access to the building.

MUCH thinner reeds have been used by US Attorneys to charge and prosecute conspiracy cases in other contexts...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I had always been under the assumption that DC could go into some incredible red alert lockdown within minutes. The BLM protests this past summer reinforced that.

It also opened my eyes to just how gross you can get with secret police forces. (Same goes for Boston after the marathon bombing.)

So I feel like there was some order to relax security around the Capitol it just doesn't make sense otherwise.

Also, the organizing was planned for weeks over social media, not days.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The video of the one officer having to panic-retreat up like three flights of stairs just sucked ass. Completely hung out there by "someone" above him.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:18 am I had always been under the assumption that DC could go into some incredible red alert lockdown within minutes. The BLM protests this past summer reinforced that.

It also opened my eyes to just how gross you can get with secret police forces. (Same goes for Boston after the marathon bombing.)

So I feel like there was some order to relax security around the Capitol it just doesn't make sense otherwise.

Also, the organizing was planned for weeks over social media, not days.
No question, Trump or people in his Admin either refused to send Federal officers as backup or instructed them not to go. If they can get Border Patrol SWAT (equivalent) teams to Portland, you can't tell me they can't get Federal officers to the goddamned Capital building with weeks of notice. The PRESIDENT ASKED these assholes to go to the Capital building, so it's not like the government didn't know there were going to be angry mobs there.

While I clearly blame the asshole cops who posed for selfies and opened the barricades, I don't blame most of the cops who appeared to stand by calmly and watch the crowd walk passed them, or the cop who calmly opened the door and held it for all the assholes walk out. They were severely undermanned and you can't have a handful of cops arresting thousands of armed rioters. 100% of the blame goes to whoever refused the request for the National Guard and whoever prevented other Federal officers from coming in as backup.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

On Riots and Race
...However, unlike the breathless TV pundits, my reaction wasn’t one of “shock,” or “disbelief.” No, my reaction: I was enraged at what I watched. But none of this was shocking or unreal: it was entirely and utterly predictable.

I’ll write more on that at another time, but this morning I want to address one particular aspect of this story that very few want to talk about: race and white privilege.

And frankly, as much as I adore TPM, in my opinion, this is one area where you have a blind spot, or a lack on interest. I am not sure why, but it is one area where TPM is just like every other new organization/talking head on TV. There is simply no way to cover Trump, his mob, and what happened yesterday without talking about the racism flowing through our society and the racism that has been mainstreamed into our media.

If I see one more story asking “how could the capital police have failed so badly” I will scream. The answer is simple, indisputable, and disgusting. The Capitol was breached because these where white people with a WHITE CAUSE. Period. Can anyone who is not a complete denier/loaded with some other agenda assert that any large crowd of people of color, or BLM, or “AntiFa” would have made it within 100 yards of THE FIRST barricade??

We know they wouldn’t, because we saw the police presence this summer for the social justice protests. We have seen the State’s response to the BLM protests for the past 5+ years: rubber bullets, gas, batons. An overly militarized response. I mean, in the past 3 weeks police in Ohio have killed two people of color for minding their own business because the police feel they defied orders or posed some minimalist pretextual threat: a cell phone and a sandwich. But this mob of white people can storm the Capital with what appears to be only a single shot fired in defense of the building? Police fire more rounds than that at motorists of color for no apparent reason. Just ask the family of Bijan Ghaisar.

In the same way that a white man can load an RV full of explosives and detonate it in the heart of the tourist/commercial center of the 24th largest city in the country and yet not be referred to as terrorist, or the event a suspected terrorist attack, the answer is race. And until that is tackled head on, there will be no “unifying” the country, and yesterday, I am afraid, is just the start of what these domestic terrorists with their Trump flag will do. Because they know the consequences are simply not that severe. Because they know they carry a privilege that reinforces to them this is their land, and so the slight of not having their chosen leader must be acted upon.
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:58 am 18 U.S. Code § 2384, which sets forth the crime of seditious conspiracy:
If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.
Cruz. Hawley. Guiliani. Ron Johnson. And, of course, the Cheeto. Among others.
I think that definitely applies to Trump, Giuliani, and Trump Jr. As well as the organizers and instigators of the attacks. (I’m not sure Senators following an objection process explicitly laid out in the US Code is quite the same thing even if I think the objections were merit less.) I’d love to see them brought up on charges on January 21.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A good exploration of impeachment and the 25th Amendment option.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/can-trump-be-stopped
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's a good article. On one hand, we know Trump could cause further irreparable damage in an instant. But on the other hand, removing him sure seems like a lot of work.

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I want to say I thought I read he changed his mind shortly thereafter, but, there was such a flood of stuff last night, perhaps not...
Last edited by tennbengal on Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Well, it looks like we found the point where some GOP Congressmen can no longer stay silent. Trump inciting, hell flat out asking, armed mobs to storm the Congress while they are in session in order to prevent the election results from being declared is the line SOME Congressmen drew. It took putting their lives in danger for Sasse to say what he has been saying behind closed doors. I do hope this finally broke Trump's spell over the Party, and this, along with him being out of office, should be enough that they denounce the insanity he brings.

I thought this interview with newly seated House Republican Nancy Mace was pretty good. I think it's crucial that more Republicans speak out immediately to try to prevent scenes like yesterday from occurring again. Sure, the nutjobs aren't going to listen to her, but if a majority of the GOP speak out, the nutters won't feel supported by Republicans who aren't committed nutters, but somewhat support the nuttiness.

-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I just got put on Twitter timeout after telling Charlie Kirk to fuck himself.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

yes, but how many representatives still stood up to protest the electoral vote last night?

full solidarity would have helped.

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:10 am Well, it looks like we found the point where some GOP Congressmen can no longer stay silent. Trump inciting, hell flat out asking, armed mobs to storm the Congress while they are in session in order to prevent the election results from being declared is the line SOME Congressmen drew. It took putting their lives in danger for Sasse to say what he has been saying behind closed doors. I do hope this finally broke Trump's spell over the Party, and this, along with him being out of office, should be enough that they denounce the insanity he brings.

I thought this interview with newly seated House Republican Nancy Mace was pretty good. I think it's crucial that more Republicans speak out immediately to try to prevent scenes like yesterday from occurring again. Sure, the nutjobs aren't going to listen to her, but if a majority of the GOP speak out, the nutters won't feel supported by Republicans who aren't committed nutters, but somewhat support the nuttiness.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:10 am Well, it looks like we found the...c.o.o.k.i.e.s...I do hope this finally...should be enough...nutter...b.utter.s...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

obviously not excusing anything, but I wonder what the House vote for Arizona and PA would look like (and if it would much more resemble the senate vote distribution) if House reps didn't have two-year terms and had to worry about primary challengers from insurrection supporters in 2022
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:18 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:10 am Well, it looks like we found the...c.o.o.k.i.e.s...I do hope this finally...should be enough...nutter...b.utter.s...
This is an assassination of my character. I have long been on the record for my position that there can NEVER be enough Nutter Butters!
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That was really great - I give her a ding for the "we're not the party of Antifa we protect our police" crap at the end but everything up to that point was refreshing.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Oh Rudy. Never change.

At approximately 7 p.m., Giuliani called newly sworn-in Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville, a staunch Trump ally, imploring him to stall the process. “I want to discuss with you how they're trying to rush this hearing and how we need you, our Republican friends, to try to just slow it down so we can get these legislatures to get more information to you,” Giuliani said in a voicemail. “And I know they're reconvening at 8 tonight, but it ... the only strategy we can follow is to object to numerous states and raise issues so that we get ourselves into tomorrow—ideally until the end of tomorrow. I know McConnell is doing everything he can to rush it, which is kind of a kick in the head because it's one thing to oppose us, it's another thing not to give us a fair opportunity to contest it.”

Giuliani tells Tuberville that McConnell wants to narrow the objections to just three states and explains that the Trump team wants to object to 10. “So if you could object to every state and, along with a congressman, get a hearing for every state, I know we would delay you a lot, but it would give us the opportunity to get the legislators who are very, very close to pulling their vote, particularly after what McConnell did today.”

The problem for Giuliani? He left his message on the voicemail of another senator, who shared it with The Dispatch.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Senility and sedition... not the best bedfellows.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:24 am That was really great - I give her a ding for the "we're not the party of Antifa we protect our police" crap at the end but everything up to that point was refreshing.
Yeah, I get the feeling I'm going to hate her in a few months, but on this day, she said what needed to be said.

I think Amanda Peete needs to play her if she is ever worthy of being portrayed.

-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I will catch up as I can, but a few tidbits:

1) My wife tipped me off LAST WEEK, that a place we used to frequent called the Hotel Harrington in downtown DC was being used as a quasi-HQ by the Proud Boys. The staff were being harassed and felt threatened, so LAST WEEK the hotel shutdown operations (and, obviously, put these guys out).

I put this out there because OBVIOUSLY there has been weeks of planning. And the powers that be were almost surely fully aware. You know DC folks were aware, and I'd be pretty shocked if that wasn't shared with the Feds. The fact that they tracked the PB leader and arrested him at the airport tells you all you need to know on this front.

2) For people that have lived here and dealt with protests for decades, the reason I wasn't all that worried about something like yesterday playing out is EVERY TIME there has been a whiff of something like this happening, the apparatus in place swoops in and gets to knocking skulls. I've often been on the other side of the issue, lamenting the heavy handedness.

It wasn't that I didn't think there could be that kind of ATTEMPT, it was that I truly didn't believe the President could somehow order the Capitol Police and even the National Guard to stand down like that. There was CLEARLY something massively amiss yesterday. There are going to be repercussions.

3) This town's power structure is bigger than the President. There are people that, collectively, were truly freaked out about what the President unleashed yesterday. There are going to be major changes, most likely in ways we won't really see out in the open. But in general, be on the lookout for some significant changes in the kind of unilateral power of the presidency over the next 5-6 years.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:20 am The video of the one officer having to panic-retreat up like three flights of stairs just sucked ass. Completely hung out there by "someone" above him.
That really got me. The fact that guy never pulled is weapon is impressive.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:28 am Oh Rudy. Never change.

At approximately 7 p.m., Giuliani called newly sworn-in Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville, a staunch Trump ally, imploring him to stall the process. “I want to discuss with you how they're trying to rush this hearing and how we need you, our Republican friends, to try to just slow it down so we can get these legislatures to get more information to you,” Giuliani said in a voicemail. “And I know they're reconvening at 8 tonight, but it ... the only strategy we can follow is to object to numerous states and raise issues so that we get ourselves into tomorrow—ideally until the end of tomorrow. I know McConnell is doing everything he can to rush it, which is kind of a kick in the head because it's one thing to oppose us, it's another thing not to give us a fair opportunity to contest it.”

Giuliani tells Tuberville that McConnell wants to narrow the objections to just three states and explains that the Trump team wants to object to 10. “So if you could object to every state and, along with a congressman, get a hearing for every state, I know we would delay you a lot, but it would give us the opportunity to get the legislators who are very, very close to pulling their vote, particularly after what McConnell did today.”

The problem for Giuliani? He left his message on the voicemail of another senator, who shared it with The Dispatch.
Saw that and listened to it last night. Didn't really sound like Rudy.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Seriously, coordinated inside job, right, nonlinear? It's the only thing that tracks...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:57 am I want to say I thought I read he changed his mind shortly thereafter, but, there was such a flood of stuff last night, perhaps not...
I think he updated to "Trump should absolutely resign", but either way it goes to the underlying issue of having politicians who you trust to understand the correct position without having to be told then adopting the correct position. The refusal to drive constituents versus incessant temperature taking is one of the biggest failures of the current Dems.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:30 am
tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:24 am That was really great - I give her a ding for the "we're not the party of Antifa we protect our police" crap at the end but everything up to that point was refreshing.
Yeah, I get the feeling I'm going to hate her in a few months, but on this day, she said what needed to be said.

I think Amanda Peete needs to play her if she is ever worthy of being portrayed.

Amanda Peete or Topanga from Boy Meets World.

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:44 am Seriously, coordinated inside job, right, nonlinear? It's the only thing that tracks...
That's why I was so shocked watching that yesterday. I've been working on K street, and had trouble getting out of that area numerous times because much MUCH smaller groups of protestors mobilized an oversized response and shutdown multiple large blocks of the city in well under an hour.

That shit yesterday was bonkers. And it's not that it took too long to mobilize; more specifically, they should've been pre-placed or at a minimum, staged and ready to target if/when necessary.

That was an unprecedently slow and weak response, when they KNEW that these guys were planning on marching to the Capitol.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:45 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:30 am

Amanda Peete or Topanga from Boy Meets World.