The WH Transition Thread --- all things Trump to Biden until Inauguration

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: The WH Transition Thread --- all things Trump to Biden until Inauguration

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:57 am Yeah, read that NYT article and ask if that's terrorism or not.

JFC.
I'd love to! But fuck their paywall!

(Edit: I'd love to read the article not ask if it's terrorism.)
Last edited by A_B on Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:06 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:57 am Yeah, read that NYT article and ask if that's terrorism or not.

JFC.
That was the first NYT article I've read in months, for that very reason.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:14 amAnd my point is that these folks aren't going to be pulling out calculators to figure out the costs and benefits of the Dem platform and the R platform. They're going to say "you can't give my money to those people."
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:48 am
mister d wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:18 am Who are "those people" in the half you specified aren't racist?
Several of my in-laws, relatives, and clients and people I have met through them.
No, I'm asking who "those people" refers to in your quote in the context of the non-racists.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

WASHINGTON — Something was not right inside the Senate chamber.

Below the press balcony where I stood, looking down on the room like a fishbowl, Vice President Mike Pence had just been rushed out without explanation.

“We do have an emergency,” bellowed a police officer with a neon sash who had appeared in the middle of the chamber. Officers and doorkeepers raced around, slamming and locking the immense wooden doors. There were panicked cries for senators to move further into the room.

Senator Mitt Romney, Republican of Utah, threw up his hands in exasperation.

“This is what you’ve gotten, guys,” he yelled, referring to a dozen or so Republican colleagues who were challenging President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s victory, which Congress was meeting to affirm.

Now everything had ground to a halt and I had about 10 seconds to decide whether to run out or get locked in myself. I stayed, deciding I should keep my eyes on the senators I was there to cover, no matter what came next.

“Senate being locked down,” I texted my editor.

One minute later: “This is frightening.”

Senator Patrick Leahy, an avid amateur photographer, snapped a few frames. Senator Amy Klobuchar blurted out that shots might have been fired. A hush fell over the room and sirens wailed outside.

In an instant, Capitol Police officers began herding the lawmakers down into the well of the Senate and moving them out a back door.

“What about us?” someone near me yelled from the balcony. The police shouted for us to get to the basement.

I dashed to grab my laptop and plunged with a handful of reporters down three floors, where a lone officer held back a pair of doors leading to the Capitol Visitor Center, built after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks as an underground fortress of sorts. It, too, had been breached.

Looking left, we saw a stream of senators snaking out ahead into the narrow subterranean tunnels that connect the sprawling Capitol campus.

Editors’ Picks

52 Places to Love in 2021

How to Pretend You’re in Cartagena Today

For an Exercise ‘Snack,’ Try the New Standing 7-Minute Workout
There was Senator Mitch McConnell, 78, the majority leader and a polio survivor, practically being carried by his security detail, their hands beneath his arms to steady him as they hustled along. The body man for Senator Chuck Schumer of New York had a firm grasp on his suit behind his neck. Trying to keep the mood light, Senator Roy Blunt from my home state of Missouri teased that perhaps the interruption would speed up the debate.

When we came up above ground, we were in a space I knew well from years of work on Capitol Hill, but officers implored us not to share details of our location. We would be there for about four hours. Later, after the Capitol had been cleared and secured, we retraced our steps, along with staff aides who carried two mahogany boxes containing the Electoral College certificates.

NEW YORK TODAY: Compelling daily stories, transit news and a glimpse at the lighter side of life in the city.
As Congress resumed its count and night turned to early morning, I found myself wandering alone through an eerily silent Capitol, studying the remains of an abandoned occupation. The ornate tiled floors, one of the building’s treasures, were coated in a powdery residue of fire extinguishers and pepper spray.

The window entering the Speaker’s Lobby, where I’ve spent hours cornering lawmakers was shattered. Benches were upturned. Soft drinks littered the halls. On the first floor, I found a handful of syringes and a defibrillator spent on someone — I wondered who — and left behind. —Nicholas Fandos, congressional reporter

ImageTrump loyalists incited by President Trump storming into the Capitol building on Wednesday during a joint session of Congress convened to formally tally the results of the election.
Trump loyalists incited by President Trump storming into the Capitol building on Wednesday during a joint session of Congress convened to formally tally the results of the election.Credit...Erin Schaff/The New York Times
Facing a Mob and Police
I could hear protesters on the first floor of the Senate side of the Capitol, so I went downstairs, following the noise. They came up to the Ohio Clock Corridor just outside the chamber where senators were meeting, and were yelling that they wanted to get in. I was shocked they’d made it inside, and thought this would be the big moment of the day: a small group of protesters having breached the Capitol building.

The Presidential Transition
Latest Updates
Updated
Jan. 8, 2021, 10:48 a.m. ET6 minutes ago
6 minutes ago
Trump will not go to Biden’s inauguration.
Democrats plunge forward with impeachment plans, with possible action next week.
Dominion Voting Systems files defamation lawsuit against pro-Trump attorney Sidney Powell.
I was wrong.

I looked down the hall to the Rotunda and saw what looked like a hundred people running around, yelling and pulling around a podium. I took a bunch of photos and then went to the ceremonial doors to the Rotunda, where a single police officer guarded the door against a throng of hundreds outside.

The mob massed together and rushed the officer, forcing open the door, and people flooded in. I ran upstairs to be out of the way of the crowd, and to get a better vantage point to document what was happening. Suddenly, two or three men in black surrounded me and demanded to know who I worked for.

The Capitol was placed on lockdown on Wednesday after hundreds of extremist protesters swarmed in.
The Capitol was placed on lockdown on Wednesday after hundreds of extremist protesters swarmed in.Credit...Erin Schaff/The New York Times
Grabbing my press pass, they saw that my ID said The New York Times and became really angry. They threw me to the floor, trying to take my cameras. I started screaming for help as loudly as I could. No one came. People just watched. At this point, I thought I could be killed and no one would stop them. They ripped one of my cameras away from me, broke a lens on the other and ran away.

After that I was hyperventilating, unsure of what to do. I knew I needed to get away from the mob and hide my broken camera so I wouldn’t be targeted again. I ran into Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s suite, but people were vandalizing her office, so I kept moving. Walking out to her balcony facing west toward the National Mall, I saw a mass of people covering the inaugural stage. I found a spot to hide my camera in there, then stood watching the crowd from the balcony and filming from my phone, which was all I had left.

“This will be the start of a civil war revolution,” a man next to me said.

At that point, the Capitol Police had started deploying pepper spray or tear gas, and I knew I needed to find a place to hide. I didn’t know where I could go since I no longer had my congressional credentials. I ran to the third floor, opened the first door I saw and hid in a hallway. I called my husband, who told me to stay calm and find a safer spot.

But then the police found me. I told them that I was a photojournalist and that my pass had been stolen, but they didn’t believe me. They drew their guns, pointed them and yelled at me to get down on my hands and knees. As I lay on the ground, two other photojournalists came into the hall and started shouting “She’s a journalist!”

The officers told us it wasn’t safe to leave, and helped us find a room to barricade ourselves in. The two other photographers grabbed my hands and told me it would be OK, and to stay with them so they could vouch for me. I’ll never forget their kindness in that moment. —Erin Schaff, staff photographer

Sheltering in the House
A little after 2:15 p.m., aides in the House chamber began quietly warning us to prepare to take shelter. I thought about how stupid I was to have left my bag at my desk on the opposite of the Capitol, and asked to borrow someone’s computer charger just in case.

I watched as a security detail rushed Representative Steny Hoyer of Maryland, the majority leader, off the floor along with other members of leadership. Police officers began to shut the gallery doors.

“We now have individuals that have breached the Capitol building,” said a Capitol Police officer who had stepped up to the rostrum. Remain inside and calm, he instructed.

I just kept updating my story, needing something to keep me distracted. Lawmakers were yelling. It didn’t feel real.

Listen to ‘The Daily’
An Assault on the Capitol
A mob incited by President Trump stormed into Congress, disrupting the certification of Joe Biden’s election victory. We hear from our colleagues who were inside the building.
Jan. 7, 2021

Tear gas had been deployed in the Rotunda, an officer said, and everyone needed to grab an emergency hood from under his or her chair and prepare to put it on.

Suddenly, it seemed as if every lawmaker had a duffel bag in hand, pulling out aluminum bags and emergency hoods, and staff members were distributing them out to reporters.

You could hear banging outside, so I crouched behind a desk, the reality of the chamber being breached sinking in. I ripped at the bag, struggling to pull out the hood, a sort of hybrid gas mask with a tarp, which made a loud whirring noise and had a flashing red light. I peeked over the desk and could see Representative Ruben Gallego, Democrat of Arizona and a veteran, jacketless, standing on a chair and yelling instructions on how to use the masks.

People banged on glass windows, crowds charged past the front columns, and others used poles to batter an entrance to the building on Wednesday.
People banged on glass windows, crowds charged past the front columns, and others used poles to batter an entrance to the building on Wednesday.Credit...Erin Schaff/The New York Times
Officers hauled a huge wooden chest as a makeshift barricade in front of the main doors to the House chamber — the ones Vice President Mike Pence had just walked through, the ones through which they had carried the chests with the elector certificates. The floor was empty, except for staff aides yelling at everyone in the gallery to get out.

I grabbed my laptop, my phone and this whirring hood, clutched it all to my chest, and clambered up to the back of the gallery where a line was forming to leave the chamber. There was a banister separating the area into sections and we struggled to climb over. What’s faster? Ducking under? Climbing over? As I plotted my escape, I heard shouts of “Get down!” Everyone dropped to the floor.

Face down behind an auditorium chair, I could see a few officers with guns drawn at the barricaded chamber doors. Representative Markwayne Mullin, Republican of Oklahoma, was trying to reason with whomever was banging on the door. I started thinking about how I really wasn’t shielded behind this chair. Was it worth scuttling down a few steps to see if the TV equipment provided more cover? But then would I be more exposed if people started shooting? I stayed put.

I sent a few “I love you” texts, otherwise frozen on the ground. I didn’t know what might happen. I just wanted them to know. —Emily Cochrane, congressional reporter

Nicholas Fandos is a national reporter based in Washington. He has covered Congress since 2017 and is part of a team that chronicled investigations by the Justice Department and Congress into President Trump and his administration. @npfandos

Emily Cochrane is a reporter in the Washington bureau, covering Congress. She was raised in Miami and graduated from the University of Florida. @ESCochrane
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

What a mensch!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:08 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:14 amAnd my point is that these folks aren't going to be pulling out calculators to figure out the costs and benefits of the Dem platform and the R platform. They're going to say "you can't give my money to those people."
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:48 am
mister d wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:18 am Who are "those people" in the half you specified aren't racist?
Several of my in-laws, relatives, and clients and people I have met through them.
No, I'm asking who "those people" refers to in your quote in the context of the non-racists.
Ah, yes. We're talking about so many different things. Yes, obviously the people who would actually say "those people" folks are racist.

Plus you have many folks who are "racist" in the sense of being more concerned about problems that affect them and their tribe than in problems that affect people who are not them and their tribe. Or who are motivated by culture and feel themselves as part of a different culture than people of a different race or people from different parts of the country or people of different educational or social backgrounds.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I won't even put this in the category of schadenfreude. Fuck these people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ed-online/
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:06 am
A_B wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:06 am

JFC.
That was the first NYT article I've read in months, for that very reason.
Chrome Incognito mode is your friend.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Another riot/protest is being planned..
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That'll be must see TV.

Hope to see some skulls bashed that day.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Honestly, that will be some Darwin shit.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:13 pm That'll be must see TV.

That day there is def possibility for Police to bash skulls, especially after the fallen office last night.

Good luck to them, DC will be armed to the top with police and military that day.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Fantastic podcaster, former boxing/MMA columnist at Deadspin, and Jeopardy contestant Patrick Wyman has some thoughts:

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

psunate77 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:20 pm
Pruitt wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:13 pm That'll be must see TV.

That day there is def possibility for Police to bash skulls, especially after the fallen office last night.

Good luck to them, DC will be armed to the top with police and military that day.
Hopefully the FBI moves in on these asshats now for conspiring to commit crimes. Nip this shit in the bud.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Impeach, try and convict Trump now.

Put felony murder on the table. How many people who drove the getaway car are serving life sentences for murders they didn't commit?
Noli Timere Messorem
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Another one in the top 7-8 I can't stand.. WTF does she even do expect be an enabler?

EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:33 pm tenn_bengal dropped the link to a Business Insider article that spells it out plain-as-day to our allies' intelligence and security analysts.
Thanks, I missed that. I thought this thread was interesting:

They need Benghazi level investigations. I wouldn't put it past Cruz going along with Trump thinking a patriotic mob could distract everyone while stealing certifications. Hopefully someone sent some emails about the plan.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But but but but but we need to cater to Manchin West Virginia can’t do any better and anyway how many times does his vote actually hurt the party just grin and bear it guys he’s still a big net positive:

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

And this is just so fucked up we are even at this point

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:31 pm But but but but but we need to cater to Manchin West Virginia can’t do any better and anyway how many times does his vote actually hurt the party just grin and bear it guys he’s still a big net positive:

Looks like pork will be headed to West Virginia.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The highways lacing that state, most bearing the name of Sen. Byrd, are spectacular.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Looks like Repubs may still have the Senate with what dick face Manchin is saying.. BTW, he is also against several other things like statehood to DC.

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:45 am an increased increase on the importance and accessibility of vocational training would go a LONG way in this country. maybe even more than "free college for everyone."
I agree with this.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

i feel zero shame in saying that that is fucking awesome
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Oh, the schadenfreude is strong.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

yeah i legitimately don't know if the taser-meets-balls thing is totally true but i don't really even care right now.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:10 pm i feel zero shame in saying that that is fucking awesome
I laughed. That could go in the Real or Onion Thread or the Irony Thread. The more I think about it, the funnier it gets.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

This is what you get when you pretend to believe the election is rigged and buddy up with Trump for 4 years. Now EVERYONE hates Lindsey.

-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Cackling. I am cackling.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:10 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:45 am an increased increase on the importance and accessibility of vocational training would go a LONG way in this country. maybe even more than "free college for everyone."
I agree with this.
Hasn't vocational training always been included in 'free college' proposals?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Worth reading this thread:

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:29 pm
MaxWebster wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:10 pm i feel zero shame in saying that that is fucking awesome
I laughed. That could go in the Real or Onion Thread or the Irony Thread. The more I think about it, the funnier it gets.
Fucked around and got tread on.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:44 pm Worth reading this thread:

Decades of race-baiting, fear-mongering RW news lead to this. Sprinkle in some social media echo chambers and here we are.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

My wife has a Biden speech on the TV in the next room ... he was just explaining that the minimum wage needs to be raised to $15 per hour.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:10 pm
I agree with this.
yeah but do you agree with the increased increase??????
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer