The WH Transition Thread --- all things Trump to Biden until Inauguration

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: The WH Transition Thread --- all things Trump to Biden until Inauguration

Post by Johnnie »

Appropriate response to David Drum.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

degenerasian wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:42 pm
I will quote Steve above. "People don't decide how they feel about Trump based on his Covid response; people decide how they feel about his Covid response based on how they feel about Trump." Most voters don't get into the nitty gritty. People just didn't know about COVID in the early stages. A lot of people thought it was a hoax, a lot of people were like, we're shutting down over this? There were re-open protests in April. Who was right? Who was wrong? By June, everybody knew the scale of this pandemic. And after Tulsa, there's was no doubt where Trump stood despite this knowledge.
Yeah, I'm biased against Trump, but come the fuck on! Is there any measure where Trump didn't royally fuck up the COVID response by June? Yes, many people thought it was a hoax BECAUSE TRUMP FUCKING TOLD THEM IT WAS A HOAX!!!!! The fact that people believed it was a hoax and refused to distance, wear masks, etc is a measure of Trump's failed efforts, not a sign that maybe it was understandable that he didn't know it was a threat. The Woodward tape shows he knew exactly how dangerous it was in January, and HE TOOK NO MEASURES AT ALL to reduce the dangers until it was too late, and even then, he ignored it and actively disseminated lies to make it seem like it wasn't a big deal. Fucking 3 months after he was told how big a threat the virus was (actually, he was told it was worse than it ended up being), he preferred to take no action, tell people it would magically disappear and to go about their lives. He held daily press conferences in which he intentionally gave misinformation to make money for his friends (Hydroxychloroquine), told lies that it was under control to keep his ratings up during the election, repeatedly showed a complete ignorance and disinterest in learning anything about the virus, ridiculed the doctors and scientists, ridiculed people who wore masks, admitted his only concern about the pandemic about keeping stock prices high to make him look good, only cared about the press conferences because "he" had great TV ratings, never once even pretended to care about the people who died, continually held superspreader events, knowingly subjected people including Biden to the virus when he knew he was positive...

The US was around 25% of the worlds cases around that time because other than Brazil and a few other countries, leaders actually gave a fuck. He not only failed to take the lead on anything, leaving states and municipalities to fend for themselves and in some cases get in bidding wars and over pay rather than the federal government purchasing and distributing PPE and make their own plans, he actively sabotaged public health efforts by convincing his moronic base that it was a sign of patriotism to refuse to follow precautions.

What fucking planet have you been on the last year to think that Trump did an OK job on handling the pandemic? Was it when he wanted to shine a light in people's bodies and use bleach on their lungs? Was it when he pushed the miracle cure of hydroxychloroquine without any evidence that it worked, causing a run on the drug leaving Lupus patients who actually needed the drug unable to obtain it? That was an OK move.

ETA: Oh yeah, and he actively fought testing, because "it will make my numbers look bad." He would fucking rather have the disease run rampant and nobody know who had it than test people to isolate them to prevent the spread. He openly said, for months, he cared more about "his numbers" than lives or slowing the spread.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Thanks for that. You're good readin'.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Readin’. Ridin’. Little of column a little of Column b.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:23 pm
ETA: Oh yeah, and he actively fought testing, because "it will make my numbers look bad." He would fucking rather have the disease run rampant and nobody know who had it than test people to isolate them to prevent the spread. He openly said, for months, he cared more about "his numbers" than lives or slowing the spread.
What about not having plan to distribute the vaccine? They knew it was coming...had months to get ready for it, and didn't do anything.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:20 pm Readin’. Ridin’. Little of column a little of Column b.
You could say I’m a Jack of all relaxing activities.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:26 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:23 pm
What about not having plan to distribute the vaccine? They knew it was coming...had months to get ready for it, and didn't do anything.
That was after June, when we all acknowledge Trump was below average.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:51 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:20 pm Readin’. Ridin’. Little of column a little of Column b.
You could say I’m a Jack of all relaxing activities.
I see what you did and I won’t ...
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

WTF is this shit I am hearing that Schumer is working out a power sharing agreement with Mitch for the Senate like Trent Lott and Tom Daschle did in 2011?

Schumer needs to fucking go.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It’s weird but 50-50 split is also weird. Manchin will go red on many things and Romney will go blue on some things. It may be a compromise to convict trump and then after next elections all bets are off.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

As far as I know, the power “sharing” agreement is required because neither side has a majority. This is the same thing that was done in 2001(?).

VP gets to break ties when it comes to voting on bills, but does she get to vote on things like committee makeup?

(Saying “she” right there was pretty fucking cool though.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nice piece by Daniel Dale on the 4+ years of being the Trump fact-checker...

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Pardon list

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-st ... cy-012021/

Nothing real earth shattering. The Former Democratic mayor of Detroit maybe the biggest.

Tiger King not getting one is funny.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

psunate77 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:20 am Pardon list

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-st ... cy-012021/

Nothing real earth shattering. The Former Democratic mayor of Detroit maybe the biggest.

Tiger King not getting one is funny.
Young Moolah, baby!

Also, Kodak Black got one too.

As did Bannon, pre-emptively, but not Kolfage. Elliott Broidy, and a few former Republican congressmen.

Also, womp womp...

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Knowing Kwame Kilpatrick I can almost promise you that Trump took a bribe from Kwame Kilpatrick. Fucker was the most corrupt politician in Detroit history and believe me, that's saying something.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

There are some sleazy MFers on that list - ponzi artists, real estate scammers, people who were DEFINITELY not wrongly convicted.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:33 am There are some sleazy MFers on that list - ponzi artists, real estate scammers, people who were DEFINITELY not wrongly convicted.
Yeah but it’s a pretty boring list compared to who could have been on it. Ghislaine Maxwell, Snowden, Julian Assange.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:29 am Knowing Kwame Kilpatrick I can almost promise you that Trump took a bribe from Kwame Kilpatrick. Fucker was the most corrupt politician in Detroit history and believe me, that's saying something.
Yeah no doubt but IMO it’s just funny Trump leaves office after pardoning a African American Democrat.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:33 am There are some sleazy MFers on that list - ponzi artists, real estate scammers, people who were DEFINITELY not wrongly convicted.
Draining the swamp.

The investigation into how some of these folks got their pardons is going to be awesome.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

psunate77 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:32 am
brian wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:29 am Knowing Kwame Kilpatrick I can almost promise you that Trump took a bribe from Kwame Kilpatrick. Fucker was the most corrupt politician in Detroit history and believe me, that's saying something.
Yeah no doubt but IMO it’s just funny Trump leaves office after pardoning a African American Democrat.
I'd argue it's perfectly on brand for both them. Both a couple of corrupt swamp rats.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Trump's final exit as Presidency came with "YMCA" blaring out of speakers.

Just can't make this shit up.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

You think you've ever been happy--think about what the WH household staff is feeling right now.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

How's the whole "armed protest at every state capitol and the national mall" thing going?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:12 am How's the whole "armed protest at every state capitol and the national mall" thing going?
Saw a bunch of people retweeting disillusioned QAnon people. Seems like they finally realized none of the promises from Q or Trump came true, and they are having doubts about their entire world view. I'm sure it's just a few, but it's refreshing to see. A week or two ago, I went down a rabbit hole of QAnon types on Facebook getting all agitated by Trump delaying some promised released of secret documents that would "change everything." They were all saying Trump kept promising declassifying info that would destroy Dems, keep him in the WH, etc... They were all predicting it would drop last week, and apparently they had been predicting it for weeks, and many were coming to the realization that maybe Trump was lying and there was no super amazing secret info out there. It's baffled me how Trump can always get away with stating something, saying he can't reveal the proof, "but it's so unbelievable and I'll show you the evidence soon" and never show the evidence, yet the allegation or assertion remains believed. From his team of investigators who found unbelievable things in Hawaii proving Obama was born in Kenya, to releasing his tax returns after the election, after inauguration, after the audit... At some point, people have to realize he is a fucking liar.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

crickets.

we have offices near state capitols.. shut down four this week -- just in case. Happy to get beat up tomorrow that we missed something while closed than having been open and had an incident.

Did hear the IL state capitol was surrounded by troops.. and humvees all over downtown Sac. But all quiet.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

what are music and poetry?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Take a breath and close this fucking thread down.

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Oops, I put it in the wrong thread. So I'll wrap up with some thoughts on the outgoing administration:

penis
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Rex wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:31 pm Oops, I put it in the wrong thread. So I'll wrap up with some thoughts on the outgoing administration:

penis
Wasn't calling you out. Just a nice place to close the book on these 4 fucking years.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

One last post...

Trump's final act as President was...

Pardoning the ex-husband of a raving Fox News lunatic

Fitting.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

What did Gavin Newsom need a pardon for?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:58 pm What did Gavin Newsom need a pardon for?
Ha! That fact should never be forgotten. What the hell kind of psychological damage leads someone to marry Newsome and then date Don Jr.?
-Pruitt
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Qanon is having a melt down right now
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

If Qanon really wanted evidence that Biden is a member of and actively funds an international pederasty ring, they didn't have to look too hard.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Coleman Young giving you the side eye right now.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And, not for nothing...

Asserting that the way you perceive Trump's response to Covid can only be filtered through a purely political spectrum is ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT.

All you have to do is look at states that had competent leadership (and correspondingly low infection/hospitalization/death rates). This is not a difficult concept.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:39 pm
Coleman Young giving you the side eye right now.
I know people who worked for Coleman Young. Coleman was a piker compared to Kwame. Hell, most people don't realize it because Coleman was so demonized north of 8 Mile, but Dennis Fucking Archer was more corrupt than Coleman Young.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, having just watched a documentary on White Boy Rick... While I'll take your word for it, Coleman was a dirty AF mayor.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:45 pm Well, having just watched a documentary on White Boy Rick... While I'll take your word for it, Coleman was a dirty AF mayor.
I'm certainly not saying his hands were clean, but he didn't have as many shady dealings as most white suburbanites think/thought. Dennis Archer's kid got millions of dollars in government projects where he basically did nothing and that was just the tip of the iceberg. And of course, Kwame just basically solicited bribes as often as he took shits.