Xmas Comes Early 2020 Edition (and so does mister d)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Xmas Comes Early 2020 Edition (and so does mister d)

Post by cerrano »

Taken tonight. Is this kosher?

(Mind you, I really don’t give a fuck what people do as long as they’re not being assholes to others or unable to identify the 3 branches of government)

But today I was behind a car with a tree tied to the roof and now I am wondering if I missed some early call to the jihad against the jihad on Xmas and now do I have another chore for tomorrow? Help me out swamp. Anybody decorating before Thanksgiving?
Attachments
CDE1BB57-A826-4958-B7E9-9457F1833DAD.png
CDE1BB57-A826-4958-B7E9-9457F1833DAD.png (128.72 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Last edited by cerrano on Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
BSF21
The Dude

Re: Xmas Comes Early 2020 Edition

Post by BSF21 »

Wife set up Xmas stuff on Tuesday. It's 2020 there are no rules and it brought her joy. Go nuts.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Might as well. There’s not going to be a Thanksgiving anyway.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Normally I'm a strictly 'no Xmas stuff up until December, at least'...but this year? Whatever you need to do...this year is crazy, and all rules are off.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:06 pm Wife set up Xmas stuff on Tuesday. It's 2020 there are no rules and it brought her joy. Go nuts.
This is where I am. Every other year, I'm anti-XMAS stuff until Santa shows up in the Macy's parade. This year, I'm ready to start the yule festivities now.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:06 pm Wife set up Xmas stuff on Tuesday. It's 2020 there are no rules and it brought her joy. Go nuts.
This is us tomorrow Afternoon.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Got to be difficult to keep a real dead tree from becoming a possible torch setting it up this early
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:23 pm Got to be difficult to keep a real dead tree from becoming a possible torch setting it up this early
The places that sell real trees around here said they will have very limited stock. I’ve never had a real tree mind you.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:25 pm
rass wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:23 pm Got to be difficult to keep a real dead tree from becoming a possible torch setting it up this early
The places that sell real trees around here said they will have very limited stock. I’ve never had a real tree mind you.
Was mostly referring to my assumed fellow NJ citizen up top.

I think I mentioned somewhere that my wife bought a decently expensive fake tree back in the summer just in case.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I've never had a tree or any decorations before, but we bought a tree last weekend and already set it up. We felt we needed to do something for the kids. My son was annoyed by the process, but my daughter was so excited it was worth it. Adds a little festiveness to the family room. Fake tree with fake snow and pre-strung with white lights. I don't think we are doing anything else. When we moved, we finally found the menorah my mom gave us 15 years ago, so we actually lit the candles for Hanukah last year. Kids liked it, so we will probably do that again this year.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Just me and Mrs. Cerrano on Thanksgiving but I don’t think we’re ready to put away the fall candles yet. We always decorate first thing Friday morning and I don’t think this year will be different but I hope we can get a real tree. I can’t stomach the notion of bawling in front of a polyester conifer when we hang the ornament made years ago for our pup who passed in May.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Gotta get a stand that allows you to keep it in water. But yeah probably still going to be a fire hazard by Christmas
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Somehow, our house removed the Halloween decorations without putting up the Thanksgiving ones (there aren't that many, but they do exist). I imagine Christmas will be held until after Thanksgiving, as that will kill a lot of time over the three days of the weekend.

But...

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:54 pm
Gotta get a stand that allows you to keep it in water. But yeah probably still going to be a fire hazard by Christmas
If you’re going with a real tree, put one up now and a replacement up in 3-4 weeks.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’ve always thought we should get a real tree someday. But maybe not.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Balsam Hill has a sale that's good for a few more days.

Not bad for $300.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We're typically a house that decorates the weekend of T'giving. But we don't put the tree up that weekend because of the fire hazardness of it all.

Don't think we'll deviate this year, thought the wife was talking about getting the stuff down this weekend and starting. We're a touch below Griswald, so I don't mind turning it into a multi-day task.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

apparently tree stock is really low this year because of the fires out west. at least it is here in KC. not sure where the suppliers would be for the east coast

we're going to get fake trees because of the cats. first time in my life that I'll have a fake tree. but that's fine. we just gotta find a good price on them

there are at least two houses in our little suburb/neighborhood that are decorated for xmas. one of them even has a tree out by the hot tub in their back yard. I think I'll put the lights up (but not on) before thanksgiving if I have time because of the weather being awesome and we'll decorate after thanksgiving.

I'm a big proponent of letting Thanksgiving breathe. as far as I'm concerned, Thanksgiving starts at like 4 p.m. on Wednesday and doesn't end until Sunday night.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

We put main tree up just now. Gonna sneak up on decorating.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

I expect we will go Thanksgiving weekend. We cut down our own tree and drag it out, but that may be harder if we go with a bigger tree to match the new ceiling height. Probably a half dozen places nearby where we can get it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Picked up our tree today. Absolutely no issue with shortages here in MD.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:40 pm we're going to get fake trees because of the cats.
Our cats are old now, so we don't have any issues, but when they were kittens - hoo boy. We learned not to put breakable ornaments low on the tree, because they would bat them off the tree and play soccer with them. And one night, one kitten climbed halfway up the tree. Nice.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Once again made the 10 trips down the attic stairs with fully laden bins of Christmas decorations without falling.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Nothing smells better than fall candles... until you light the Xmas candles.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

All scented candles are bad.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The best smell in the world is when you walk into the house and realize the wife and kids have been making chocolate chip cookies.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Your, and I realize I’m saying something huge here, worst take.

(directed at mister d who probably hates chocolate chip cookies and not at sc)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

SC’s follow up proves why, again, I am right in my analysis.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Also is really love it if a mod could edit this thread title to include “(and so do I)” after the word “Early”. Thanks.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

mister d wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:44 pm All scented candles are bad.
I suspect your baseline is standard big box paraffin candles. Like saying "all bread sucks" based on grocery store plastic-wrapped & sliced varieties. Of course they're $$$, but soy, coconut, and beeswax candles scented with natural extracts are a different ballgame.

Come at me.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:43 am
mister d wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:44 pm All scented candles are bad.
I suspect your baseline is standard big box paraffin candles. Like saying "all bread sucks" based on grocery store plastic-wrapped & sliced varieties. Of course they're $$$, but soy, coconut, and beeswax candles scented with natural extracts are a different ballgame.

Come at me.
If I were to have picked a swampers who was big into artisanal candles PDX would have been #1. Oddly, mister D would have been 2.
rass
The Dude

Re: Xmas Comes Early 2020 Edition (and so does mister d)

Post by rass »

soy boys?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Seems like a good time to mention that cantaloupe is a solid choice for a breakfast side.

So I was at Sprouts mid-last week, and frankly this probably belongs in the T-Day menu thread but whatever. I picked up a no sugar-added, double-crust blueberry pie, cuz well, I love blueberries.

When we sat down for dessert after dinner on Thursday, my wife mentioned that she has never had blueberry pie before, which got me thinking that I haven’t bought (or much less made) a blueberry pie since at least 2002. It made it that much more enjoyable.

We had it a la mode with a scoop of Tillamook vanilla ice cream.

How does one make it to 51 years of age without ever having blueberry pie? She’s lived in MD her entire life (save for a two year stint in London after college). Maybe it’s the fact I was born in CT that we had blueberry pie a lot as a kid?

She now loves blueberry pie, btw.
Last edited by EnochRoot on Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don’t eat enough pie.
P.D.X. wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:43 amI suspect your baseline is standard big box paraffin candles. Like saying "all bread sucks" based on grocery store plastic-wrapped & sliced varieties. Of course they're $$$, but soy, coconut, and beeswax candles scented with natural extracts are a different ballgame.

Come at me.
This might be right but in general I don’t like scents unless it’s like flowers or cooking or whatever.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Cut down an 11 footer last week. Even with a cart it was a workout to get it down the mountain. Spent the rest of the afternoon trying to get it straight and stable on the stand. We got the extra large stand with a pin, but the damn thing was completely unstable. I ended up connecting each leg of the stand to the trunk with ratchet straps. So now if it goes down it's taking the whole thing down. Anyone have a link to a stand they recommend?

I did pull a tick off my leg and another off one of the kids the next day. I'm not sure what I'll do if it's actually infested. Quarantine sucks, but it's even worse when you may have a tick infestation in your house.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

testuser2 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:42 am Cut down an 11 footer last week. Even with a cart it was a workout to get it down the mountain. Spent the rest of the afternoon trying to get it straight and stable on the stand. We got the extra large stand with a pin, but the damn thing was completely unstable. I ended up connecting each leg of the stand to the trunk with ratchet straps. So now if it goes down it's taking the whole thing down. Anyone have a link to a stand they recommend?

I did pull a tick off my leg and another off one of the kids the next day. I'm not sure what I'll do if it's actually infested. Quarantine sucks, but it's even worse when you may have a tick infestation in your house.
This artificial tree thing sounds more appealing.

ETA: I'd keep the ticks you find and see if you can get them tested for Lyme
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I wonder if the trees at a Christmas tree lot have been sprayed for bugs?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

After this happened we just bought the biggest, widest, heaviest, sturdiest stand they had at HD. I don't know the exact brand/model at this point, and our trees usually top out at under 7'.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:54 am After this happened we just bought the biggest, widest, heaviest, sturdiest stand they had at HD. I don't know the exact brand/model at this point, and our trees usually top out at under 7'.
Funny, my wife is very much the same way with ornaments. I can tell when she's enjoying a trip/vacation when she makes a point of buying something.