2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 7546
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: 2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Post by tennbengal » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:38 pm

RSL wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:43 pm
I cannot believe I missed the draft. Too many distractions. Who should I be laughing at?
Hey RSL!

It appears that teams did mostly okay with not a lot of complete face-planting.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12060
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: 2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Post by Johnnie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:26 pm

I just woke up. Fucking what.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5719
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: 2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Post by DSafetyGuy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:51 pm

Johnnie wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:26 pm
I just woke up. Fucking what.
Charlotte has to overpay to get people to come there (to be clear, it is a bad contract). He's not a bad guy to bring in for their situation. They have a lot of promising young talent and he's not a guy who's going to overwhelm them with his personality in a negative way. Instead, he can help by being an established veteran leader and #1 option on offense, including creating late in the shot clock, while still helping their young guys (Bridges, Graham, Washington, Ball) develop.

They're getting killed even more for stretching Batum's contract instead of just riding it out with him for this season, which is essentially like tacking another $9+ million per year onto Hayward's cost for three years, limiting their cap space in the future when they might look at extending some of their young talent.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16820
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: 2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Post by A_B » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:56 pm

Yeah I feel like you probably could have gotten Hayward for 20-30 million less total value while he still locked in more than his Boston contract. I mean it has to be his last contract. This one is weird.
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20215
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: 2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Post by mister d » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:21 pm

I’m late but this is still good:
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5719
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: 2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Post by DSafetyGuy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:17 pm

A_B wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:56 pm
Yeah I feel like you probably could have gotten Hayward for 20-30 million less total value while he still locked in more than his Boston contract. I mean it has to be his last contract. This one is weird.
Yeah, Hayward left more on the table for this year to opt out for better long term bucks. There is no way he would have gotten more over the next four years than this if he had opted in.

Boston fishing for a sign-and-trade was not going to happen with Charlotte. I'm sure Charlotte would have said "Rozier and Batum or he'll just sign with us, anyway."
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
EdRomero
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1472
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: 2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Post by EdRomero » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:41 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:17 pm
A_B wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:56 pm
Yeah I feel like you probably could have gotten Hayward for 20-30 million less total value while he still locked in more than his Boston contract. I mean it has to be his last contract. This one is weird.
Yeah, Hayward left more on the table for this year to opt out for better long term bucks. There is no way he would have gotten more over the next four years than this if he had opted in.

Boston fishing for a sign-and-trade was not going to happen with Charlotte. I'm sure Charlotte would have said "Rozier and Batum or he'll just sign with us, anyway."
Looks like there might be something. Yesterday it looked like they were gonna get something back from Indiana for Hayward but Charlotte upping the offer ruined that. Dan Greenberg (barstool) is theorizing they'll free up money to go after Bogdanovic but that's probably wishful thinking.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5719
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: 2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Post by DSafetyGuy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:01 am

EdRomero wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:41 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:17 pm
A_B wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:56 pm
Yeah I feel like you probably could have gotten Hayward for 20-30 million less total value while he still locked in more than his Boston contract. I mean it has to be his last contract. This one is weird.
Yeah, Hayward left more on the table for this year to opt out for better long term bucks. There is no way he would have gotten more over the next four years than this if he had opted in.

Boston fishing for a sign-and-trade was not going to happen with Charlotte. I'm sure Charlotte would have said "Rozier and Batum or he'll just sign with us, anyway."
Looks like there might be something. Yesterday it looked like they were gonna get something back from Indiana for Hayward but Charlotte upping the offer ruined that. Dan Greenberg (barstool) is theorizing they'll free up money to go after Bogdanovic but that's probably wishful thinking.
I just don't see it, barring stupidity on the Hornets' part, which is admittedly always a possibility. Batum has one year at $27M left and Rozier, who is a lot less important to the Hornets after Devonte Graham's development last season and the drafting of Ball, has two at $37M total left. Beyond that, they have Cody Zeller on an expiring at $15.4M and a bunch of small change guys (Malik Monk at $5.3M who won't get a qualifying offer is the most expensive). It's a really young team (most under 25) with a couple better players nearing free agency, so clearing the deck to let young guys play and removing salary from future seasons (moving Rozier, avoiding stretching Batum's contract) should be the Hornets' motivation.

It's possible I'm missing something, but unless any deal includes Batum and Rozier, it's just helping Boston, which shouldn't be the Hornets' goal.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5733
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: 2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Post by Shirley » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:12 am

It was a good few days for former Virginia Cavaliers. Joe Harris resigned with the Nets for nearly $19m/year. Then, Anthony Gill signed a two-year deal with the Wizards, moving over from Europe. Lastly, undrafted Mamadi Diakite signed a two-way deal with Milwaukee. UVA isn't producing stars like Duke and Kentucky, but Tony Bennett is turning a lot of unheralded high school prospects into NBA players.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6518
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: 2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Post by Giff » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:28 am

I vote this his how it works every year. Forget the mid-summer stuff, draft/free agency in the same week a month before the season starts.
Muh.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20215
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: 2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Post by mister d » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:31 am

Shirley wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:12 am
It was a good few days for former Virginia Cavaliers. Joe Harris resigned with the Nets for nearly $19m/year. Then, Anthony Gill signed a two-year deal with the Wizards, moving over from Europe. Lastly, undrafted Mamadi Diakite signed a two-way deal with Milwaukee. UVA isn't producing stars like Duke and Kentucky, but Tony Bennett is turning a lot of unheralded high school prospects into NBA players.
I really thought Justin Anderson was going to end up a solid rotation player.
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5733
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: 2020 NBA Draft & Off-season Extravaganza

Post by Shirley » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:12 am

mister d wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:31 am
Shirley wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:12 am
It was a good few days for former Virginia Cavaliers. Joe Harris resigned with the Nets for nearly $19m/year. Then, Anthony Gill signed a two-year deal with the Wizards, moving over from Europe. Lastly, undrafted Mamadi Diakite signed a two-way deal with Milwaukee. UVA isn't producing stars like Duke and Kentucky, but Tony Bennett is turning a lot of unheralded high school prospects into NBA players.
I really thought Justin Anderson was going to end up a solid rotation player.
Yeah, me too. In fact, I thought that was his floor. But he's struggled to stick in the league. Not really sure why - he's athletic, he has good shooting range, and he can defend. He's never been a great ballhandler though, and maybe his court awareness just isn't good enough.
Totally Kafkaesque

Post Reply