Solo Stove

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Solo Stove

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I know this was brought up in the Shopping Guide thread, but I think given all that's going on with COVID, it warrants a deeper dive.

I bought one, and so have 3 of my neighborhood buddies. Despite back orders, one of us got one a few weeks ago and tried it out...

Fucking magic, man. He got the Bonfire (medium) version and it was really nice on a pretty chilly evening while watching football outside in the back. Other dude pulled the trigger on the Yukon (large) and got them to bring down the price to the best sale figure he'd seen recently.

Anyways, only issue with the Yukon vs. Bonfire is having to tip it over to clean it out.

But, man, the design in terms of the heat it kicks off, with minimal smoke? It's just incredible. I sat less than a foot from it for a couple of hours and my fleece smelled totally smoke-free when I got home.

There is also a Tiki model, but the Solo looked superior when I sized them up.

Anybody else pull the trigger? Mr. D??
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Re: Solo Stove

Post by mister d »

Fuck yeah, I did. Bonfire, for cost and because I wanted one easier to transport and worried the biggest one would require more wood for the same basic effect. We've had it for 6-7 weeks now and use it atleast once per week. Agreed that the only downside is the finishing process; I usually end up leaving it out back to burn out then dump and store it in the shed so it doesn't rust out. (I got the base ring a few days after the stove itself and in my excitement to try it out I burnt an ~18" circular patch in my backyard.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I'm thinking I can put it on the roof rack and take it on trips. The Yukon just seems too big for that. We bought a cover off of Amazon for a fraction of the cost they (solo) are selling.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

We got one in August after spending time on a neighbours deck with one. WE got the Bonfire as well.

The only downside so far is the damn marketing emails. NLFC did you just search for solo cover on Amazon?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sorry, there are no matches for: "Soulo Stouve Couver"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I looked at this thread, made a Google search, went "Oh I'll get one of these when I go back stateside," and then... Advertisements

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pretty buzzed and read this as “Solo Steve,” thought Steve was getting divorced. Looking for a fire pit, need to check this out
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

You guys got me to pull the trigger and I used bonus points so it didn’t cost me a thing. Bonfire looks like the perfect size for the patio
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I bought a Bonfire for myself and one for my father to give him for Xmas based on your reviews. Don't steer me wrong Swampboyz.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:09 pm We got one in August after spending time on a neighbours deck with one. WE got the Bonfire as well.

The only downside so far is the damn marketing emails. NLFC did you just search for solo cover on Amazon?
My wife made the purchase, but I'm 99 percent sure that's what she did. It was cheap enough that if it doesn't really work, we'll get the branded version. Neighbor friend across the way has the legit version and it does look like it makes it easier to carry/transport.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:48 pm I bought a Bonfire for myself and one for my father to give him for Xmas based on your reviews. Don't steer me wrong Swampboyz.
The only two things I've heard that might give people pause:

* It doesn't kick off as much heat as a traditional fire in a pit. Well, put more correctly, the heat is pushed more up than out. Now, my experience with it: because there's almost zero smoke, you can sit much MUCH closer to the stove, mitigating this issue. That said, that's why some folks opt for the Yukon, because it can accommodate more people.

* There's nothing that I've found that formally validates this, but the conjecture is that it burns more wood. I'm a little dubious on this point, but it also just doesn't really matter to me. I have a full cord of wood at about $300, so if I have to reload after the winter, not a huge deal.

The only other thing to keep in mind (apparently) is that if you make a fire, it has to completely burn out and then cool for about 2 hours before you can transport. I mean, that's kind of a "no shit" issue, but I guess some (dummies) were thinking they could carry it around while camping or whatever.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:01 pm
BSF21 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:48 pm I bought a Bonfire for myself and one for my father to give him for Xmas based on your reviews. Don't steer me wrong Swampboyz.
The only two things I've heard that might give people pause:

* It doesn't kick off as much heat as a traditional fire in a pit. Well, put more correctly, the heat is pushed more up than out. Now, my experience with it: because there's almost zero smoke, you can sit much MUCH closer to the stove, mitigating this issue. That said, that's why some folks opt for the Yukon, because it can accommodate more people.

* There's nothing that I've found that formally validates this, but the conjecture is that it burns more wood. I'm a little dubious on this point, but it also just doesn't really matter to me. I have a full cord of wood at about $300, so if I have to reload after the winter, not a huge deal.

The only other thing to keep in mind (apparently) is that if you make a fire, it has to completely burn out and then cool for about 2 hours before you can transport. I mean, that's kind of a "no shit" issue, but I guess some (dummies) were thinking they could carry it around while camping or whatever.
I'd wager it got put back in the SUV still hot.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, the thing that is odd to me in walking through a scenario like that is the walls get EXTREMELY hot... But maybe they cool down quite a bit after the flame is gone?

Just not sure how you'd pick it up if it was still hot enough to damage the interior of a vehicle.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

We bought a Ninja Foodi and it rules. This is the same thing, yes?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:29 pm Well, the thing that is odd to me in walking through a scenario like that is the walls get EXTREMELY hot... But maybe they cool down quite a bit after the flame is gone?

Just not sure how you'd pick it up if it was still hot enough to damage the interior of a vehicle.
Have you never been to a tailgate down south?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:32 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:29 pm Well, the thing that is odd to me in walking through a scenario like that is the walls get EXTREMELY hot... But maybe they cool down quite a bit after the flame is gone?

Have you never been to a tailgate down south?
I have not.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I have seen still smoking charcoal grills go into the back at game time. But crack the windows, of course.

Now, generally speaking people bring their cheapo charcoal grills and they cool down during the game, but I seent some shit, man.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm sure this is universal, but atleast every other year some dipshit at an Eagles tailgate would take out a half dozen cars by hiding their grill under a car before heading into the stadium.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:29 pmWell, the thing that is odd to me in walking through a scenario like that is the walls get EXTREMELY hot... But maybe they cool down quite a bit after the flame is gone?
Yup, they don't retain heat once there's no longer any contact with the flames. There are still some little orange embers when I dump most times but the inside is cool to the touch.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:52 pm I'm sure this is universal, but atleast every other year some dipshit at an Eagles tailgate would take out a half dozen cars by hiding their grill under a car before heading into the stadium.
I was just going to say this. Saw that happen at a Jets game last year. Someone dumped their still-burning coals under another car. Car caught fire. Also saw someone park over burning coals someone dumped. I had to knock on his window and advise he move. Usually, when you find an empty spot right in front of the stadium and closest to the exit 10 minutes before kickoff, it is too good to be true.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Solo grill is on sale.

https://www.solostove.com/grill/
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

2 showed up today. Stoked to give my dad his tomorrow and maybe enjoy mine with a cigar tomorrow evening
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Spend it now, you've got a kid on the way.