NFL Week 16

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: NFL Week 16

Post by Gunpowder »

Or a Cal QB, or a Clemson QB, or a Texas Tech QB, or a...
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:48 am
Gunpowder wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:02 am
A_B wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:24 pm
Pruitt wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:22 pm Top 5 receivers not available, so they throw the ball 53 times?

Was Freddie Kitchens calling the plays?
Well. The first half the jets stuffed every run. But it was weird playcaling.

It's odd how teams suddenly start stuffing runs when you can't throw
The Jets have actually been pretty good at stopping the run this year while their secondary has to be the worst in the league, so I'm not surprised the Browns attempted so many passes to practice squad WRs.
Yeah that's true but my main point is that when you can only do one thing, the other teams are gonna like, do what they can to stop that one thing. It's why the Steelers suddenly started looking pretty good when Roethlisberger finally started throwing downfield again. Nothing else changed but the OL looked better, running lanes opened up, the defense started playing better, etc etc just because they were finally able to prove they could go downfield. I'll bet that just blindly pounding it with Chubb (lol) would have still resulted in a struggling offense - Mayfield was just all over the place yesterday. Probably because he is used to playing at his house.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

At the top, when the Steelers couldn't threaten anyone downfield, why wouldn't you crowd the LOS? Of course they struggled to run the ball.

In the middle, they finally threw a go route that wasn't scripted and hit it. Look at the safety - and why wouldn't you be sitting on intermediate routes if you're the safety?

At the bottom, they can finally run. It wasn't an adjustment. It wasn't better execution. It was just forcing a defense to respect you. And then suddenly the defense isn't on the field again after another 3 and out facing an offense that can do whatever it wants. And they don't feel the need to make a big play because their offense can't move the ball. Of course they are better now.

And I know that this is simple and people know this but I just feel like sometimes we forget - particularly the talking heads on TV who should know better. Think as a DC - if you were playing the WR-less Browns, wouldn't you want to force them to air it out as much as you could? It's all interconnected.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Edit: double
Last edited by Gunpowder on Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Glad you posted that twice, in case Jason Garrett reads The Swamp
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:50 pm

pounding it with Chubb
Great fantasy team name
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The unnoticed play of the Pitt/Indy game was when Chase Claypool grabbed the Indy DB's arm to prevent a pick six. Didn't even get called for the offensive PI.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:41 pm The unnoticed play of the Pitt/Indy game was when Chase Claypool grabbed the Indy DB's arm to prevent a pick six. Didn't even get called for the offensive PI.
It was not unnoticed given my timelines today. Tons of people bitching about all the officiating and how we got robbed.

You can't say you got robbed when you score 3 points in a half and let a team come back from 3 scores. You can't. They did what they were always going to. Go up early, settle in to a cover 2, give up senseless yardage, lose some breaks, and lose the game.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Watch #54 Jaylon Smith head butt the Eagles tackle, giving him a concussion. Seems suspension-worthy to me. (The second replay is better than the first.)

EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:41 pm The unnoticed play of the Pitt/Indy game was when Chase Claypool grabbed the Indy DB's arm to prevent a pick six. Didn't even get called for the offensive PI.
The worst was when they were focusing on Philip Rivers screaming at the refs from the sideline and just talking about Rivers' "spirit" or whatever the fuck the storyline was. Then they show the replay once, and, wow, Rivers was right to be pissed; they called minimal contact interference on a tipped ball, but hey look at Philip Rivers; he's really mad, lol.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:55 pm
The worst was when they were focusing on Philip Rivers screaming at the refs from the sideline and just talking about Rivers' "spirit" or whatever the fuck the storyline was. Then they show the replay once, and, wow, Rivers was right to be pissed; they called minimal contact interference on a tipped ball, but hey look at Philip Rivers; he's really mad, lol.
He was mad as heck. He was really about to lose his crap. Was tired of the fudging referees. Pretty much told them to kiss his behind.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:07 pm
He was mad as heck. He was really about to lose his crap. Was tired of the fudging referees. Pretty much told them to kiss his behind.
He did have a legit bitch. But, I have to say I hate Philip Rivers. Every time you see him on camera, he is either crying after a bad play or crowing/taunting after a good one.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah he’s a douche. I was just making a joke about how he never seems to curse. Weird dude. Great quarterback but weird dude.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:19 pm Yeah he’s a douche. I was just making a joke about how he never seems to curse. Weird dude. Great quarterback but weird dude.
Ha. I noticed your language, but thought maybe you were reforming, yourself.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Mmmm, peppermint roll.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Belichick has the look of a man whose legacy is going to be “couldn’t win without Brady” instead of going out on top.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Waited a long time to see that!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

A_B wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:19 pm Yeah he’s a douche. I was just making a joke about how he never seems to curse. Weird dude. Great quarterback but weird dude.
He grew up not too far from here. I’ve met a handful of folks who knew him in high school and he was universally considered a dick back then.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:33 pm Belichick has the look of a man whose legacy is going to be “couldn’t win without Brady” instead of going out on top.
One (hopefully) down year doesn't take away from 20 on top. With the lack of production out of Cam throwing the ball if this team was coached by anyone but Bill they'd be in the running for Lawrence. The fact that they got to 6 wins, and got damn close to winning some others, shows how good of a coach he is. I know this goes against your extreme bias.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

speaking of extreme ... arguing that the patriots would be jets or jaguars level this year without BB fits that bill

totally fine (and right!) to argue that he's responsible for a couple wins himself, but let's not go overboard here
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Have you looked at their roster?

Do you really think that they'd have been in playoff contention in week 14 if Adam Gase was their coach?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:41 pm
brian wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:33 pm Belichick has the look of a man whose legacy is going to be “couldn’t win without Brady” instead of going out on top.
One (hopefully) down year doesn't take away from 20 on top. With the lack of production out of Cam throwing the ball if this team was coached by anyone but Bill they'd be in the running for Lawrence. The fact that they got to 6 wins, and got damn close to winning some others, shows how good of a coach he is. I know this goes against your extreme bias.

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:49 pm Have you looked at their roster?

Do you really think that they'd have been in playoff contention in week 14 if Adam Gase was their coach?
these are two totally different things separated by a very wide gulf!
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just glad that week 17 will allow the question of who is the best worst coach in the AFC East to be settled on the field!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"Do Your Job!"*

* unless there's injuries
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The only serious injury that's impacted them for the majority of the season is Edelman, but I think he's way past being the focal point of an offense.

Solid anti-pats "joke" though!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:14 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:07 pm
He did have a legit bitch. But, I have to say I hate Philip Rivers. Every time you see him on camera, he is either crying after a bad play or crowing/taunting after a good one.
You really didn't notice the part where Romo said "He was saying it got tipped, and he has a legit point," and did you really not notice the video where Johnson was tripped well before the ball was tipped?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Garrett will sack Rudolph 11 times or none and no on between.

(Total aside but in my madden franchise Myles garret has had 24 sacks at least in five seasons and is not second in all time sacks and will break the career record next year. Video games are weird. I’ve won five titles with the browns in 10 years. Last eight on all madden. I’m awesome. Leave me alone. It’s my fanrasy football.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Who's #1 all-time in your franchise?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:27 pm Who's #1 all-time in your franchise?
Bruce smith with 200. Garret is at 199 ahead of white. It uses the all time records. I’m a year behind on my game I think. Madeen 20 with mahomes on cover.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The greatest.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:09 pm Garrett will sack Rudolph 11 times or none and no on between.

(Total aside but in my madden franchise Myles garret has had 24 sacks at least in five seasons and is not second in all time sacks and will break the career record next year. Video games are weird. I’ve won five titles with the browns in 10 years. Last eight on all madden. I’m awesome. Leave me alone. It’s my fanrasy football.
Myles Garrett always sets both records no matter what in franchise modes.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:41 pm

I'll give you that only if it establishes that another reputation will be "shittiest GM of all-time".
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nah. Far from shittiest. Average I'd say. But its the same gm/coach tension just that he does both. Difficult to get personnel for what belichick the coach wants. I don't think this was a bad year at all. Supper easy for that to have been 3-13 especially after the covid defections. Belichick the gm will have a lot to play with this off-season just that real question about belichick the gm pulling it off. I don't think theyll target a qb. OL, dbs, line, special teams again. Might not even get around to skill positions except for tight ends. But they find two more til they hit. He is the only guy in the league that can play the long game and I bet he does it again and then finds long term qb and pass catchers when he can see a superbowl again. Zero worries about belichick. Zero.