Nashville Bombing

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Nashville Bombing

Post by A_B »

An attack on At&T? Seems speculative but my cell has no service and neither does a lot of the area around Nashville.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Nashville Bombing

Post by EnochRoot »

Weird. Didn’t the IRA sometimes give a heads up to prevent mass casualties?

Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A cop found it so they had time to clear the area but not to defuse it. (At least I thought I saw a story that said that.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Still no att service here. If it’s proof of concept for an infrastructure attack it’s a good one.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

AB, it’s impacted some of our company network too. Given the warning message, this feels more and more like a deliberate infrastructure attack. Very odd.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

They’re (AT&T) going to need to assess if anything (servers, etc) was stolen beforehand.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I used to work for a start-up that was called Infrastructure Defense... Without getting too deep into it, I try not to think too much about how incredibly vulnerable many of our assets are (electric grids, for example).
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Holy shit.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

This event has completely captured my interest. The warning from the RV, the location knocking out communications, etc. It really feels like this is just a precursor or test run for something much bigger.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:31 am This event has completely captured my interest. The warning from the RV, the location knocking out communications, etc. It really feels like this is just a precursor or test run for something much bigger.
If the guy who did it hadn’t blown himself to bits I’d be there with you. I’m guessing it’s a Q-Anon/5G conspiracy nut.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

There's also the gifting/selling of two houses to the AEG woman. Her story of not knowing that he gifted them is odd. People often mistake a QCD with a nominal amount listed as a gifting, but most QCDs I see, (I see a lot in my line of work) usually list $10 as the transaction cost. You generally don't put the purchase price on the deed.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

brian wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:38 am
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:31 am This event has completely captured my interest. The warning from the RV, the location knocking out communications, etc. It really feels like this is just a precursor or test run for something much bigger.
If the guy who did it hadn’t blown himself to bits I’d be there with you. I’m guessing it’s a Q-Anon/5G conspiracy nut.
Wife was reading me a post stating that the old AT&T building was housing voting machines that were to be audited and that there were all these ties to major dems. I told her to stop reading comments on news stories.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:38 am
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Are they calling him the Unibomber since he only got to blow his wad once?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This event reminded me of the Granby bulldozing event, which further reminded me that Netflix has a doc on it called "Tread." Just finished watching it, which includes a bunch of his recordings on his (twisted) rationale for why he did it.

Pretty good, even knowing a lot of the details going in.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Lexington evacuated a significant area downtown due to a rogue rv. Seems to have been nonissue but I guess just on edge.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

First time here and if Nashville isn’t the most overrated city in America by a long distance I don’t want to know what is.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sounds like Nashville *is* bombing
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I would literally rather be almost anywhere else. This was a mistake. Nashville will be made the capitol of the coming Fascist States of America.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:56 pm I would literally rather be almost anywhere else. This was a mistake. Nashville will be made the capitol of the coming Fascist States of America.
I have a friend who went there a couple of years ago and loved it. And he's Indian! Must have been in the fully hipster zone.

One of my all time favourite movies...

(With Ned Beatty too)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

What do you hate about it? I've never spent much time in the city during my adult life other than a quick trip to see DMB in 2003 (and got to meet 3 of them!), and have always wanted to go back.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:01 pm
brian wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:56 pm I would literally rather be almost anywhere else. This was a mistake. Nashville will be made the capitol of the coming Fascist States of America.
I have a friend who went there a couple of years ago and loved it. And he's Indian! Must have been in the fully hipster zone.

One of my all time favourite movies...

(With Ned Beatty too)
That trailer started to remind me of Too Many Cooks with the amount of characters they kept throwing in. It seems weird how they referred to the actors by name in describing the characters. Not that they mentioned the names, just how they did.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There’s no “there” there. It’s just a bunch of right-wing tourists from all over the South cosplaying at hedonism by watching shitty country cover bands play overpriced venues owned by shitty irrelevant country “stars” and fascist fuckwits like Kid Rock. It thinks it’s Austin but it’s Orlando but without a soul.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(And speaking of the bombing a whole section of downtown is still closed/rebuilding from it.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:30 am There’s no “there” there. It’s just a bunch of right-wing tourists from all over the South cosplaying at hedonism by watching shitty country cover bands play overpriced venues owned by shitty irrelevant country “stars” and fascist fuckwits like Kid Rock. It thinks it’s Austin but it’s Orlando but without a soul.
… but with Hot Chicken!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:30 am There’s no “there” there. It’s just a bunch of right-wing tourists from all over the South cosplaying at hedonism by watching shitty country cover bands play overpriced venues owned by shitty irrelevant country “stars” and fascist fuckwits like Kid Rock. It thinks it’s Austin but it’s Orlando but without a soul.
I'm pretty sure we're similar travelers, atleast city-wise, so this moves Nashville down the list of places I haven't been.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

How can you possibly besmirch The Athens of the South?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There’s a disturbing racial dynamic here too especially coming here after New Orleans. It’s obvious there’s a decent-sized portion of the tourist base who like it here because the only time you ever see a black person is in a service job.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Also, the grifting is nonstop here. It’s legit worse than Mexico. I’ve been intentionally overcharged three times already.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Lexington better not suck.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Don't forget the bachelorette parties!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:58 pm
Don't forget the bachelorette parties!
If I hear “woo!” from 20 sorority bitches riding on the back of a flatbed truck one more time I’m gonna lose it. And I’m probably gonna hear that shit at least 10 more times today alone.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Went to the Country Music Hall of Fame and bought me a Willie Nelson T-shirt so that was a highlight so far.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

One of my best friends from h.s. has lived there for well over a decade and he says kind of a similar thing, only that it's gotten a lot worse the last 5 years or so.

And I scrolled up and saw the mention of the bachelorette parties and he says these harpies on those bicycle contraptions are the FUCKING WORST. Honestly, knowing that I'd have to deal with that regularly would keep from going out downtown.

(I'm probably headed there for a group/couple thing to visit friends from our 'hood that moved down there a few years ago. I'm not dreading it, because it's a fun group, but reading about the city being annoying has me a little mixed.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think it might have been more fun 20 years ago but the cold boot heel of capitalism has crushed anything fun and unique that ever existed here and now it’s just a theme park that exists to separate rubes from their money. I always feared that for Austin but the locals there have resisted it up to now. They seem to have leaned into it here.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:30 pm And I scrolled up and saw the mention of the bachelorette parties and he says these harpies on those bicycle contraptions are the FUCKING WORST. Honestly, knowing that I'd have to deal with that regularly would keep from going out downtown.
Those stupid bicycle things are the rage here also. The hilarious part though is that (at least in Boulder) they can't drink on them, which is the entire f'ing point. So you'll hear the woo-ing and the bells ringing and the damn thing roll past with a bunch of jackoff tourists pretending they're having the time of their lives, but of course we know otherwise. We know.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Saw those in Belfast when we were there in 2019.

That’s at least two things in common between Belfast and Nashville.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And lots of white people, Rass. That's another one.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Orlando doesn't have much of a sou...Oh, compared to Nashville?

Sure, why not.
Noli Timere Messorem