Road Trip for Food

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Road Trip for Food

Post by Giff »

What's the farthest you'd drive for a dish?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Road Trip for Food

Post by L-Jam3 »

I once drove from South Philly to the Inner Harbor in Baltimore for some crabcakes and fudge. That’s about 90 miles each way, which is like 750 miles in Texas miles.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Do I have to wait in a fucking line when I get there?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

1. Can we include beer?

2. Is this singular road trip or can we include diversion from a different trip?

3. I'm sorry I already made this not fun.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Megawatt
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Megawatt »

I can look at this two ways; I’ll drive into DC from the Bmore suburbs for a dinner date with the wife but the longest I’m standing in-line for food is 15 minutes tops
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:23 pm Do I have to wait in a fucking line when I get there?
No.
mister d wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:24 pm 1. Can we include beer?

2. Is this singular road trip or can we include diversion from a different trip?

3. I'm sorry I already made this not fun.
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. I'm just happy I got a response from someone this late on a Friday!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm contemplating a trip tomorrow to Darrell's Poboys in Lake Charles. My girls are taking my MIL on an overnight stay for her birthday, so I'm flying solo this weekend. Golf has already been nixed by my friends, so I'm going to do it.

And mister d, I said yes because beer is part of my justification too. I just won't tell you which beer.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:18 pm I once drove from South Philly to the Inner Harbor in Baltimore for some crabcakes and fudge. That’s about 90 miles each way, which is like 750 miles in Texas miles.
We did a 240-mile round trip for White Castle back in college. But that was the style at the time.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’ve gone to Cincinnati for a meal just on a whim. So about 85 miles.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:40 pm I’ve gone to Cincinnati for a meal just on a whim. So about 85 miles.

I've driven about 50 miles for a donut burger.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Would or did?

I'm up for anything, given circumstances similar to yours this weekend, but can't remember the last time I did drive that far for food. It's usually tied together with something else. I generally make it a priority to seek out unique, good food when I travel, but I can't say I've driven hundreds of miles just for food, to just drive back.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:42 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:40 pm I’ve gone to Cincinnati for a meal just on a whim. So about 85 miles.

I've driven about 50 miles for a donut burger.
I now have a skyline about 2 miles from my house.

(It was for the Montgomery inn on a date night once. It was fine).
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:39 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:18 pm I once drove from South Philly to the Inner Harbor in Baltimore for some crabcakes and fudge. That’s about 90 miles each way, which is like 750 miles in Texas miles.
We did a 240-mile round trip for White Castle back in college. But that was the style at the time.
My roommates at my first base drove to, I think, Dallas (from Shreveport) just for Jack In The Box. That's roughly 400 miles and 6 hours round trip. One was from CA, the other NV and they were tired of Shreveport/Bossier having basic fast food.

I thought it was dumb until I realized I'd do it for Dunkin' Donuts at the time.

-=-=-

I don't know if I've ever taken a road trip exclusively for food. I'll travel to a place and also grab food there.

I did turn down an invite to drive to Mad Jack's BBQ in Cloudcroft, NM from ABQ. Actually a longer drive time and distance wise from Shreveport to Dallas.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I've driven 90 minutes (each way)...from Los Alamos to Taos...to have lunch at Michael's Kitchen.

It was totally worth it.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:17 pm I've driven 90 minutes (each way)...from Los Alamos to Taos...to have lunch at Michael's Kitchen.

It was totally worth it.
Back when I had a pilot’s license and a Cessna, we’d fly 150 miles to hit a breakfast place at an airport in Wisconsin. But that was just to have an excuse to fly.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’ve thought about this a while and I’m realizing it’s not very far, atleast in terms of mileage. A few years ago I had a free day so I went to Singlecut in Astoria which, walking and by train, took like 1:45 each way. That might be it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:42 pm I’ve thought about this a while and I’m realizing it’s not very far, atleast in terms of mileage. A few years ago I had a free day so I went to Singlecut in Astoria which, walking and by train, took like 1:45 each way. That might be it.
A trip to Other Half Brewery in Brooklyn was probably it for me. I feel like I've made day trips around getting food, but don't really count it if we made a day out of it doing something else. [Checks Untappt, holy fuck that was 4.5 years ago!!!]. It's only 30 miles away, but requires across Manhattan and through Brooklyn. I left at 6:00am to pick up a friend, so traffic must not have been an issue. We had to line up for hours, and heat index was 117, no shade anywhere. Absolutely brutal, but it was worth it.

A few years ago on a work trip to Boston, I trekked 1.5 miles over to Trillium with an empty hockey bag. I had a severe sinus infection which made it difficult to think, so it never occurred to me to take an Uber back, so I carried a full bag bag to my hotel.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Not very far
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I regularly drive 40 miles for chicken wings or pizza. For a one time deal probably 3 hours...from NW Ohio to Chicago for Lou Malnati's...this was pre mail order days.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:17 pm I've driven 90 minutes (each way)...from Los Alamos to Taos...to have lunch at Michael's Kitchen.

It was totally worth it.
See, I was already in Taos for a wedding. Everyone ate there the following day.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:08 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:42 pm I’ve thought about this a while and I’m realizing it’s not very far, atleast in terms of mileage. A few years ago I had a free day so I went to Singlecut in Astoria which, walking and by train, took like 1:45 each way. That might be it.
A trip to Other Half Brewery in Brooklyn was probably it for me. I feel like I've made day trips around getting food, but don't really count it if we made a day out of it doing something else. [Checks Untappt, holy fuck that was 4.5 years ago!!!]. It's only 30 miles away, but requires across Manhattan and through Brooklyn. I left at 6:00am to pick up a friend, so traffic must not have been an issue. We had to line up for hours, and heat index was 117, no shade anywhere. Absolutely brutal, but it was worth it.

A few years ago on a work trip to Boston, I trekked 1.5 miles over to Trillium with an empty hockey bag. I had a severe sinus infection which made it difficult to think, so it never occurred to me to take an Uber back, so I carried a full bag bag to my hotel.
Same for me. I did this in June and July for a combo Other Half and Lionis Italian Hero’s parlay. Pandemic traffic was non-existent so it was about 40 minutes in and out. Lionis eggplant parm was insanely delicious.

Next longest is 25 min to Montclair for The Pie Store and Grove Street Deli. Learned about Grove Street while I was on a gas can line in Montclair during Sandy.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

serrano wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:47 am

Same for me. I did this in June and July for a combo Other Half and Lionis Italian Hero’s parlay. Pandemic traffic was non-existent so it was about 40 minutes in and out. Lionis eggplant parm was insanely delicious.

Next longest is 25 min to Montclair for The Pie Store and Grove Street Deli. Learned about Grove Street while I was on a gas can line in Montclair during Sandy.
I'm convinced you and I must have done something dumb like this at some point, but can't come up with anything better than walking from the Igloo to the Strip District for Primanti's. I feel like there must be something else I'm missing but maybe food has always been a goal secondary to the friends we make along the way.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I once drove from Cleveland to Columbus and back just to have dinner with AB. Do I win?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A few years ago, From Balt down to college park specifically for a Gus’s Fried Chicken that had opened there ( when we left memphis in 2009 it was just a memphis thing). Same Gus’s menu and quality. Sadly, covid killed it.

I guess that’s about 40 miles each way and either 50 minute to as much as hours each way depending on day and traffic.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:46 am A few years ago, From Balt down to college park specifically for a Gus’s Fried Chicken that had opened there ( when we left memphis in 2009 it was just a memphis thing). Same Gus’s menu and quality. Sadly, covid killed it.

I guess that’s about 40 miles each way and either 50 minute to as much as hours each way depending on day and traffic.
There’s a Gus’s here that in Houston that I haven’t tried yet. That would be quicker.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Oh, um...get some. Seriously.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Sabo wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:17 am I once drove from Cleveland to Columbus and back just to have dinner with AB. Do I win?
Did AB show up?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:11 am
Sabo wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:17 am I once drove from Cleveland to Columbus and back just to have dinner with AB. Do I win?
Did AB show up?
AB was there for work. And he paid!
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A_B wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:42 am
Did AB show up?
so he could write it off as a work expense
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:51 am
A_B wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:42 am
Did AB show up?
so he could write it off as a work expense
He’s no dummy!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I've driven from N. Bethesda to Rehobeth at least 4 times to grab:

* Nicabolis
* Italian grinder from Louie's
* Large Grotto's loaded pizza
* Large Thrasher's fries

I love the drive*, eat the sub there, then bring the rest home for the family. Also something I've done with The Boy as a bonding experience.

* - Exclusively take back roads.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

rass wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:52 am
serrano wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:47 am

I'm convinced you and I must have done something dumb like this at some point, but can't come up with anything better than walking from the Igloo to the Strip District for Primanti's. I feel like there must be something else I'm missing but maybe food has always been a goal secondary to the friends we make along the way.
That was an amazing day. I wish I had a pedometer because we fucking walked everywhere. And we also got to meet bapo! who we had to identify by his “fantastic ass.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Tell me about both these Montclair spots. The only “food and back” drive we do there is for doughnuts at Montclair Bread Co.

The public transposition trip to OH isn’t all that bad normally, but the drive is awful in non-pandemic times. There’s a “rumor” they’re going to be in shops here in NJ soon so it won’t matter as much.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, the other food at the end the rainbow that day was bapo!’s bag of scones.

And mister d I’ll second the Pie Store. Best work Christmas party present ever was one of their steak, ale and mushroom pies.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There is/was a truck in JC that did Australian versions so I assume these are similar? I feel like we aren’t using Montclair enough for new pandemic takeout dinners these days so this is on the list.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Same empire, at least.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

rass wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:39 am Yeah, the other food at the end the rainbow that day was bapo!’s bag of scones.

And mister d I’ll second the Pie Store. Best work Christmas party present ever was one of their steak, ale and mushroom pies.
Steak ale and mushroom pie is what I usually get. Wife use gets the steak and cheese pasty but we always get the cheese onion and potato pie, and their sweet pies are pretty damn tasty as well. Pies are sold cold so you throw them in the oven when you want them and enjoy. They also do a banoffe pie on weekends. #chefskiss. Also, Pie Store sells English goods like Walkers Chips, real Cadbury chocolate, and Heinz beans and stuff like that.

Grove Street is a tiny deli/grocery with great prosciutto for subs and a lot of homemade Italian dishes like eggplant parm and a solid antipasto. I usually only go there when I’m going to the Pie Store.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

The wife and I have driven to both Chattanooga (~3.5hrs) and Nashville (2.25hrs), just because restaurants we like there had something different and appealing on the special menu. Note, we turned it into an overnight in both cases, but the only reason for the trip was the entree. Would do again.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

To that point, every trip we’ve taken in well over a decade has centered around food.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That was kind of my point. If we're drawing the line where the shrinking geometric shape did, I'm similar to Mr. D.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.