Don Sutton

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Don Sutton

Post by A_B »

I dunno. Probably his own but it’s a weird time. He was just an old guy still pitching for me without the coolness of Nolan Ryan.

Longevity matters i suppose.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Don Sutton

Post by tennbengal »

He was great as the analyst for braves games too.

His longevity in his playing days was unreal, even for that era.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

on-point 70s perm as well. that alone added 10WAR to his career.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I mean some of the most unique hair for a HOF pitcher ever, so that's not nothing.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Another stalwart from my days of watching the Cubs every afternoon.

Edit: I vividly remember watching this game: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.truebl ... ts-ejected
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You know you're getting old when Hall of Famers who you remember watch playing for most of their careers are dying at a "normal" age.

(Yeah, 75 is relatively young but also, it's not?)

("Most" is also a stretch for Sutton because he started six years before I was born, but I remember watching him play for almost a decade, so...)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I always associate him with the Dodgers, but he did put a stake in my heart as a young O's fan defeating the Orioles on the last day of the 1982 season after the Orioles had won the the first 3 of a 4 game home stand against Milwaukee that would have put us into the playoffs. It was also Earl Weaver's last game as manager (we thought). It was Sutton vs. Palmer that day.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

i very much remember that game - must have been on national tv - yeah would have been an amazing final week comeback but i think the Brewers won that last one going away?

bfj wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:45 am I always associate him with the Dodgers, but he did put a stake in my heart as a young O's fan defeating the Orioles on the last day of the 1982 season after the Orioles had won the the first 3 of a 4 game home stand against Milwaukee that would have put us into the playoffs. It was also Earl Weaver's last game as manager (we thought). It was Sutton vs. Palmer that day.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:18 am i very much remember that game - must have been on national tv - yeah would have been an amazing final week comeback but i think the Brewers won that last one going away?

bfj wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:45 am I always associate him with the Dodgers, but he did put a stake in my heart as a young O's fan defeating the Orioles on the last day of the 1982 season after the Orioles had won the the first 3 of a 4 game home stand against Milwaukee that would have put us into the playoffs. It was also Earl Weaver's last game as manager (we thought). It was Sutton vs. Palmer that day.
10-2, Robin Yount had 2 home runs and a double. Harvey's Wallbangers, if I remember correctly.
Last edited by bfj on Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Maybe because it was the first WS I remember following, but that Brewers team was fun. Robin Yount was gooood.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:13 pm Maybe because it was the first WS I remember following, but that Brewers team was fun. Robin Yount was gooood.
I've been looking over that team. Their offense was just ridiculous. 3 players with 30+ home runs, 4 players with 100+ RBI (Simmons had 97). Seems funny now to be impressed by 30+ dingers, but back then...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That's pretty amazing.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.