Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by HaulCitgo »

Thats my contribution BTW. But yes, perhaps a distiction between TV news and internet news divisions. Still CNN comes in just south of the New York Post.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am Your words not mine. The fabrication is the assumption that the source is solid. CNN is not worthy of that assumption and Enoch brought the goods.
Slightly left leaning against near propaganda level slant is bringing the goods?

I won't argue that CNN and most if not all TV news networks sensationalize what they can for clicks eyes and ad dollars, but an above average reliability score and a bias determined to be 3-4 orders of magnitude less than their counterparts and you read "sources aren't solid"?

What makes a "solid source" in your mind here? You've yet to answer how you'd prefer they do their jobs. Thoughts?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Also can we all agree that the most surprising thing about this is that Weather.com gets an ~80% accuracy score? They're right half the time at best, amirite???

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:38 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am Your words not mine. The fabrication is the assumption that the source is solid. CNN is not worthy of that assumption and Enoch brought the goods.
Slightly left leaning against near propaganda level slant is bringing the goods?

I won't argue that CNN and most if not all TV news networks sensationalize what they can for clicks eyes and ad dollars, but an above average reliability score and a bias determined to be 3-4 orders of magnitude less than their counterparts and you read "sources aren't solid"?

What makes a "solid source" in your mind here? You've yet to answer how you'd prefer they do their jobs. Thoughts?
I'm pretty sure he doesn't understand the numbers.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

i think there's an important venn diagram that could be made with 'sensationalism' and 'news' where you can actually be annoying as shit (CNN) but actually report, you know, facts.

i hadn't watched CNN (or any news) since we moved back to the States 3+ yrs ago for obvious reasons until two weeks ago; i'm understanding why some people "hate" CNN and although my beliefs and prejudices generally line up well with their "pundits" many of them come across as self-aggrandizing and overwrought. It's a bad move, IMO, in that they're not likely to make people change their minds if they're entrenched. Having said that, to my knowledge they haven't reported anything false and in the end to me that's what matters. I have confidence that when they're reporting (as opposed to, say, Van Jones staring into the camera and emoting) I'm getting the truth.

Now if we could just eliminate all tickers on all stations, get Crossfire and Sports Tonight back on the air, we'll truly be making america great again. :P
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I mean, just completely ignoring numbers and sticking with the "CNN is too untrustworthy to not name their sources" is straight-up right-wing head in the sand bullshit.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

How about you reduce to the 15 largest media organizations on that list and then sort by reliability score. Are they even in the top 10? Top 12? My guess is 36 will put them second to last ahead of Fox. Good company there.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:03 pm How about you reduce to the 15 largest media organizations on that list and then sort by reliability score. Are they even in the top 10? Top 12? My guess is 36 will put them second to last ahead of Fox. Good company there.
You can't add the numbers together. They measure two totally different things.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:03 pm How about you reduce to the 15 largest media organizations on that list and then sort by reliability score. Are they even in the top 10? Top 12? My guess is 36 will put them second to last ahead of Fox. Good company there.
Go for it. Just make sure you're comparing cable news scores vs cable news scores and web site scores vs web site scores. Your assertion seems to be taking CNN's lowest score regardless of medium.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jesus. Whoever created OPS would have an issue with just adding those numbers together. If you're even trying to blend, which you shouldn't, wouldn't you take reliability minus absolute bias?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Just reliability. No adding. Not sure where that comes from. 36 is cnn tv and yes not apples to apples as many don't have large tv organizations.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The fun part is anyone assuming misinformation at CNN is lefty based. As I alluded to before, they employ all manner of chattering heads, up to and including Rick fucking Santorum. How much of the supposed misinformation comes from those folks.

This is stupid.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:13 pm The fun part is anyone assuming misinformation at CNN is lefty based. As I alluded to before, they employ all manner of chattering heads, up to and including Rick fucking Santorum. How much of the supposed misinformation comes from those folks.

This is stupid.
Right. If Fox News regularly had anyone on to the left of Hillary Clinton, their viewers would go apeshit, but Rick Fucking Santorum gets to spew his ridiculous nonsense on CNN almost every day.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:02 pm Just reliability. No adding. Not sure where that comes from. 36 is cnn tv and yes not apples to apples as many don't have large tv organizations.
OK you must have a larger sample than I saw and it happened that the math kinda worked. But still.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:13 pm The fun part is anyone assuming misinformation at CNN is lefty based. As I alluded to before, they employ all manner of chattering heads, up to and including Rick fucking Santorum. How much of the supposed misinformation comes from those folks.

This is stupid.
And relatedly, when they measure "accuracy", are they including stupid right-wing things that people like Santorum say while they are on CNN? Is that measurement limited to just straight news programs?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Well at the very least I gained some worthy sig material.

#FAKENEWS!
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:57 pm
you have some really terrible opinions
this post applies again
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I've been locked out of the site for a couple of days.

The CNN = Fox News false equivalency is a huge part of why this country is so fucked up and will remain so until people cut the shit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the only thing I'd add to this absurd discussion is that the data on page 5 shouldn't be used at all. it's an absolute waste of time and energy to talk about reliability and bias if you're going to rely on a chart that was compiled five months ago given the utter bile that's been spewed from various sources and figures since then.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Quick round-up of thoughts:

* Yesterday... the entire day... was just pitch perfect. Biden's speech was important and hit all the right notes. But, overall, I couldn't turn away from any of it. It felt so good to have such extreme competency on display.

* I even enjoyed the evening ceremony, which I usually tune out as too hokey. I loved almost all of it.

=-=-=-=-=

While it's certainly a "knock me over with a feather" moment, the fact that the Trump Admin totally shit the bed is no less repugnant and appalling. And the discussion on here going back to last week about whether a Federal response would've been helpful is pretty infuriating.

I'm not to trying to re-stir shit up, but go ask public health officials, go ask former experts from previous presidential administrations in charge of this stuff have been saying.

The inaction and downplaying by the Trump Administration are CRIMINAL in their dereliction of duty.

Special place in Hell for all those involved.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:35 pm the only thing I'd add to this absurd discussion is that the data on page 5 shouldn't be used at all. it's an absolute waste of time and energy to talk about reliability and bias if you're going to rely on a chart that was compiled five months ago given the utter bile that's been spewed from various sources and figures since then.
Disagree. While it is somewhat dated (5 months?), it’s a frame of reference. A jumping-off point, where it’s up to you to challenge what the data reveals.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:40 pm* I even enjoyed the evening ceremony, which I usually tune out as too hokey. I loved almost all of it.
Yeah, Bon Jovi sucked and was creepy.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the last five months have been a tsunami of propaganda and misinformation and that timeframe is over one third of the timeframe of the initial study referenced in the data presented

the combination of that tsunami and the significance of the size of that timeframe render any constructive discussion based on the numbers a waste of time
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:48 pm the last five months have been a tsunami of propaganda and misinformation and that timeframe is over one third of the timeframe of the initial study referenced in the data presented

the combination of that tsunami and the significance of the size of that timeframe render any constructive discussion based on the numbers a waste of time
But none of that changes the fundamental conclusions one draws from that study. The nature of current events tells us it’s ongoing, even with a coup attempt.

Shit dude, this is the snapshot you would need to begin discussing the media’s role that led up to the insurrection itself.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd also love to know how they set what zero bias is. Like what is the platonic neutral stance?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:21 pm I'd also love to know how they set what zero bias is. Like what is the platonic neutral stance?
Yeah, because even the most unbiased media outlet is still making very distinct choices about WHAT to cover. Like, that's probably.. I dunno, 40 or 50 percent of the overall approach (editorial) on any given day.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:21 pm I'd also love to know how they set what zero bias is. Like what is the platonic neutral stance?
Peer-reviewed scientific research.

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:55 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:48 pm the last five months have been a tsunami of propaganda and misinformation and that timeframe is over one third of the timeframe of the initial study referenced in the data presented

But none of that changes the fundamental conclusions one draws from that study. The nature of current events tells us it’s ongoing, even with a coup attempt.

Shit dude, this is the snapshot you would need to begin discussing the media’s role that led up to the insurrection itself.
absolutely not ...
... because of this!

there's no way to quantify what "neutral" is because "objectivity" in journalism is a myth that won't go away. thankfully journalists and journalism classes are getting much better at addressing this myth and working through framing what the role of journalism is and why objectivity is a thing that simply doesn't exist

and even setting aside the unknowability of what 0 is in this case, we're gonna look at a chart that shows OAN as less conservative relative to the Daily Kos' liberalism and not immediately go "yeah this study is messed up"?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:26 pm

absolutely not ...
... because of this!

there's no way to quantify what "neutral" is because "objectivity" in journalism is a myth that won't go away. thankfully journalists and journalism classes are getting much better at addressing this myth and working through framing what the role of journalism is and why objectivity is a thing that simply doesn't exist

and even setting aside the unknowability of what 0 is in this case, we're gonna look at a chart that shows OAN as less conservative relative to the Daily Kos' liberalism and not immediately go "yeah this study is messed up"?
Fact-based journalism is objective journalism.
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:35 pm Fact-based journalism is objective journalism.
"fact-based" is doing a loooooot of work here to hold up the myth of "objective journalism"
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:35 pm

absolutely not ...
... because of this!

That's only possible if all facts can be covered, in all possible ways.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

If I run a highly publicized series in my newspapers profiling victims of crimes committed by illegal immigrants, and only those victims, I am not being "objective" even if everything I report is true.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

perfect example is an AP story about, oh, let's say Trump's tax returns. the story is big and significant enough to be put as the main modular story on numerous mainstream news outlets. it's buried to a small and friendlier "fact-based" headline past the scroll point on other news outlets.

it's the same "fact-based" and "objective" story (keeping the myth of objectivity alive for the sake of the scenario here) -- but the failure of "objectivity" in this case doesn't come with the story itself but rather its presentation and front page framing.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I could write a lot of posts about how Gary Sanchez leads all MLB catchers in HRs since 2018 and, if presented in a certain way, that would be both fact based and wildly biased.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:54 pm I could write a lot of posts about how Gary Sanchez leads all MLB catchers in HRs since 2018 and, if presented in a certain way, that would be both fact based and wildly biased.
OAN simply tried to ignore Biden's inauguration yesterday. Not acknowledging something isn't a lie!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:50 pm If I run a highly publicized series in my newspapers profiling victims of crimes committed by illegal immigrants, and only those victims, I am not being "objective" even if everything I report is true.
That’s not journalism. That’s a collection of interviews with victims of crime by illegal immigrants to reach a biased conclusion.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:49 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:35 pm

absolutely not ...
... because of this!

That's only possible if all facts can be covered, in all possible ways.
Objective journalism was born from the scientific method, after all.
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:11 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:50 pm If I run a highly publicized series in my newspapers profiling victims of crimes committed by illegal immigrants, and only those victims, I am not being "objective" even if everything I report is true.
That’s not journalism. That’s a collection of interviews with victims of crime by illegal immigrants to reach a biased conclusion.
What's biased about "13 people were brutally murdered by illegal immigrants last year"?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(Use of the phrase "illegal immigrant". Gotcha!)