Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:15 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:11 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:50 pm If I run a highly publicized series in my newspapers profiling victims of crimes committed by illegal immigrants, and only those victims, I am not being "objective" even if everything I report is true.
That’s not journalism. That’s a collection of interviews with victims of crime by illegal immigrants to reach a biased conclusion.
What's biased about "13 people were brutally murdered by illegal immigrants last year"?
As Delaware pointed out - “illegal immigrant” implies bias, and you’re engaging in selling headlines for profit...Both can call your journalism into question.

The elephant in the room of course is the speed of which we start to form opinions on news events occurs before we read the stories.
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:23 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:50 pm If I run a highly publicized series in my newspapers profiling victims of crimes committed by illegal immigrants, and only those victims, I am not being "objective" even if everything I report is true.
That’s not journalism. That’s a collection of interviews with victims of crime by illegal immigrants to reach a biased conclusion.
What's biased about "13 people were brutally murdered by illegal immigrants last year"?
As Delaware pointed out - “illegal immigrant” implies bias, and you’re engaging in selling headlines for profit...Both can call your journalism into question.

The elephant in the room of course is the speed of which we start to form opinions on news events occurs before we read the stories.
FIne, call them undocumented immigrants. And every newspaper every day is selling headlines for profit.

Edit: Actually, hold on. Why are you concluding that "illegal immigrant" is biased or un-objective? They are in fact immigrants, right? Who immigrated illegally? If your standard is "journalism should be fact based, and fact based in objective", isn't "illegal immigrant" a fact-based, objective term?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Dude, no.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

WE GOT SOME MEDIA BIAS HERE

"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:24 pm

FIne, call them undocumented immigrants. And every newspaper every day is selling headlines for profit.

Edit: Actually, hold on. Why are you concluding that "illegal immigrant" is biased or un-objective? They are in fact immigrants, right? Who immigrated illegally? If your standard is "journalism should be fact based, and fact based in objective", isn't "illegal immigrant" a fact-based, objective term?
People are not illegal. It’s a biased designation.

Eta: I know that May statement sounds naive, but it’s a pejorative label that has become such through its contemporary shorthand meaning. It’s why I try when teaching, to use the term “enslaved people” instead of “slaves” when I’m in those units. The term is now clickbait, full stop.
Last edited by serrano on Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Giff wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:29 pmDude, no.
For what it's worth, I have absolutely no problem with anyone immigrating illegally. Half my family illegally immigrated from Yugoslavia to Austria.

My point is the absurdity of trying to rely on fact-based-ness as a standard of objectivity.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

A lot can happen between a sentence fragment being a fact and a fact being journalistically responsible.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

serrano wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:31 pm

Eta: I know that my statement sounds naive, but it’s a pejorative label that has become such through its contemporary shorthand meaning. It’s why I try when teaching, to use the term “enslaved people” instead of “slaves” when I’m in those units. The “illegal immigrant” term is now clickbait, full stop.
eta: 2 for clarification.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:33 pm
For what it's worth, I have absolutely no problem with anyone immigrating illegally. Half my family illegally immigrated from Yugoslavia to Austria.

My point is the absurdity of trying to rely on fact-based-ness as a standard of objectivity.
I think the point there is that "illegal immigrants" is, you know....not the preferred nomenclature, dude.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:38 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:33 pm

I think the point there is that "illegal immigrants" is, you know....not the preferred nomenclature, dude.
Yes, and I agree with that. But not because it isn't fact-based or "objective" in and of itself.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Eta: I know that May statement sounds naive, but it’s a pejorative label that has become such through its contemporary shorthand meaning. It’s why I try when teaching, to use the term “enslaved people” instead of “slaves” when I’m in those units. The term is now clickbait, full stop.
Not to threadjack a threadjack, but why the nomenclature change when talking about slavery? Does “enslaved people” give a (completely accurate and justifiable) humanization to them, where “slaves” does not?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"What I'm saying is your wife has, uh, performed fellatio so in the literal sense, um, calling her a 'cocksucker' is indeed fact based."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

heteronormative bias
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:47 pm

Not to threadjack a threadjack, but why the nomenclature change when talking about slavery? Does “enslaved people” give a (completely accurate and justifiable) humanization to them, where “slaves” does not?
I’m not sure when I started to do this, but to me the term “enslaved people” or “persons” highlights the humanity of the person who is legally owned by another person. It might just help at least one student identify the people we are talking about in terms of their condition rather than their race. I try to use the term enslaver instead of master. I think language matters to some degree. Does it work? I don’t know, but it’s my classroom, so...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:53 pm "What I'm saying is your wife has, uh, performed fellatio so in the literal sense, um, calling her a 'cocksucker' is indeed fact based."
Exactly my point. You can't judge whether something is okay by whether it's fact based.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Faucci is having his first presser with the Biden administration and he looks so much more relaxed and calm and is speaking freely..
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

so what do we call immigrants who broke the law while either entering the country or overstayed their visas.

I"ll hang up and listen for your opinion.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm assuming this won't warrant its own thread, but QAnon nutter Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene filed Articles of Impeachment against President Biden. Wheeee!!!!

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean... So what?

You can file all you want, doesn't mean anyone has to do anything about it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

They should censure her immediately for that bullshit.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

If I were the social media type, I'd be all over filming a video in a basement with all kinds of stupid shit like this.

"I've recently filed to incorporate my dog. We'll see how it goes."

"I've recently filed my taxes. We'll see how it goes."

"I've recently gone to the post office (Bernie Meme). We'll see how it goes."
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The path forward is nicely summarized in one sentence here:

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He's had a great 30 hours. No complaints at all.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:42 pm so what do we call immigrants who broke the law while either entering the country or overstayed their visas.

I"ll hang up and listen for your opinion.
First, innocent until proven guilty. Second, undocumented persons.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:13 pm I mean... So what?

I know there is no chance of anything coming out of this, just pointing out the nuttiness Trumpism unleashed.
-Pruitt
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:09 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:13 pm I mean... So what?

I know there is no chance of anything coming out of this, just pointing out the nuttiness Trumpism unleashed.
I believe she is saving herself.. IMO with the FBI looking at Parler now and it's effect on January 6th riot I believe it's going to come out her and Laura Boebert had involvement and they will be thrown out of congress. In that case she will say her ejection was do to her impeachment of Biden.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

She's just trolling and owning the libz. There's no 4d chess here.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean... Good luck with that?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:00 pm He's had a great 30 hours. No complaints at all.
Plenty of complaints on my FB feed and from FoxNews. My favorite theme is Biden destroying unity because of Jen Psaki's pressers. Several Fox segments blaming Biden because the press is asking Psaki softballs and being nice while she treats them respectfully. My favorite was a panel with Matt Schlapp and some Liberal woman where they showed 2 softball questions then showed 4 cherry picked questions from 4 years and the host saying, "see? Look at how differently the press treats Biden. This is proof that Biden's calls for unity is a lie." So many things wrong... The Liberal couldn't stop laughing at the two idiots saying "are we on another planet right now?"

Meanwhile, my moron cousin's almost as dumb kid is freaking out that Biden prevented Trump's border wall from completing out of spite. They were just 350 miles away from finishing the wall, and all the materials purchased, but Biden is destroying the country so Trump can't claim a victory in building the wall.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

"Just" 350 miles?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:42 pm I'm assuming this won't warrant its own thread, but QAnon nutter Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene filed Articles of Impeachment against President Biden. Wheeee!!!!

And this may not be nothing right now, but 2022 is my fear.. The dems can lose the house in 2022 as they lost several seats this past election, but they can pick up 3 Senate seats in Wisky, PA, and NC.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is that dude serious about “preventing pandemics”?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:15 pm Is that dude serious about “preventing pandemics”?
I mean, kinda? That's what the team in place was trying to do and was doing before Trump disbanded it.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

danpatrick.jpg
danpatrick.jpg (51.96 KiB) Viewed 402 times
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It was fun while it lasted:

Can't mix memes like this.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Maybe I’m a big dummy, but I thought they were like hurricanes where you plan and mitigate harm but you can’t prevent.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:51 pm Maybe I’m a big dummy, but I thought they were like hurricanes where you plan and mitigate harm but you can’t prevent.
I don’t see why not. Pay attention to outbreaks and react quickly to stop them from spreading to become pandemic. Maybe you can’t stop all of them, but some?

Isn’t that what happened with Ebola?