Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:32 pm None of this is hard ... if Sarah Sanders had made a "Lady Cory" remark, we would have all screamed she should be out. That Republicans will cover for that sort of person/comment should have zero bearing on whether Democrats do.
When NLFC and Mr. Biden's Home State agree, planets are aligning...
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:09 pm Let's entertain nuance for a second. She didn't cal him 'Lady' because trans/cross people are 'icky' and wanted everyone to know that he's 'icky' like a supposed trans/cross person would be (the derogatory use of the term). She called him 'Lady' because he champions an ideology that is traditionally homophobic and is drawing attention to the hypocrisy (for wearing a dress or chasing boys or whatever it is he did). Unprofessional? Yes. Homophobic? No.
If she had said "Lindsey Graham is a hypocrite if it turns out he really goes out as Lady G while he champions an ideology that is traditionally homophobic," yes that would be fine.

But there's nothing in her tweet suggesting she was doing that.

She was simply mocking him for allegedly having a proclivity for cross-dressing and/or homosexuality.

To bring up another analogy similar to Mr. D's, if a Republican had said something like that about Andrew Gillum, would we be okay with that? Would we think that person was the best possible choice as the public face of the Administration, and Administration whose obligation is to serve the public, including homosexuals and cross-dressers?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Might I suggest...a sincere apology?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Though, I also think PDX is onto something in terms of nuance and context.

Probably don't need to throw her out on her ear, definitely needs to address the problematic nature of the text (at least the potential for it to be taken the wrong way.)
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:26 pm Though, I also think PDX is onto something in terms of nuance and context.

Probably don't need to throw her out on her ear, definitely needs to address the problematic nature of the text (at least the potential for it to be taken the wrong way.)
Maybe not, but I am not sure if Biden can afford to continue to throw her out in public eyes as Press Sec.. The impeachment trial is getting the attention now, but at some point her tweet will become center stage. Not sure it's going to be a good look on the administration part to have her out there when it does.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:10 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:51 pmSo I guess you are outraged by Biden's choice of Neera Tanden as OMB? Maybe it's different because she didn't (as far as I know) make any transphobic/homophobic insults and just insulted numerous Republicans on their merit, like saying "Vampires have more heart than Ted Cruz."
Your second sentence explained why I'm not outraged by Biden's choice of Neera Tanden.

As far as I know, neither vampires nor Republicans have been subjected to murderous violence because of who they are.
Yeah, I was free flow thinking as I typed and immediately saw the difference between Tanden and Psaki's insults. If this was a one-off, I'll be furious if she gets fired over it. I think there is a huge difference between someone who is a bigot vs someone who made one inappropriate joke when they weren't in a public position.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:14 pm She was simply mocking him for allegedly having a proclivity for cross-dressing and/or homosexuality.
... while having made a career on a platform that denigrates those who do.

Which is kind of an important bit.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

If someone was mocking Lance Armstrong for riding an e-bike, is that indicative of an anti-e-bike stance or a denigration of all people who ride e-bikes?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:53 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:14 pm She was simply mocking him for allegedly having a proclivity for cross-dressing and/or homosexuality.

Not really. She's basically saying "it's okay to ridicule people who are gay or cross-dress." I don't think that's okay to say, even if you're saying it to an asshole.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:56 pm If someone was mocking Lance Armstrong for riding an e-bike, is that indicative of an anti-e-bike stance or a denigration of all people who ride e-bikes?
How many people have been murdered for riding e-bikes?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:53 pm

Then maybe she should do Ben Carson next.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

See, I'd hit Graham from a different angle.

He's a retired full bird colonel in the Air Force. The first of the AF's 3 core values is integrity. He has none.

Boom, roasted.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Our Senate Majority Leader has a request:

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

psunate77 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:43 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:26 pm Though, I also think PDX is onto something in terms of nuance and context.

Maybe not, but I am not sure if Biden can afford to continue to throw her out in public eyes as Press Sec.. The impeachment trial is getting the attention now, but at some point her tweet will become center stage. Not sure it's going to be a good look on the administration part to have her out there when it does.
BTW, no it won't.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:18 pm
psunate77 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:43 pm

BTW, no it won't.
I think Repubs will make it a story eventually.

Just like they will make Fetterman’s incident where he pulled the shotgun on the black jogger when he was mayor of Braddock since he is now running for Toomey’s seat.

Dems are suppose to be for the blacks and gays. Not doing or posting this stupid shit.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm with AB on this one. There's no need for that, especially at that level. Michael Che's joke a few weeks ago was bad enough, but he's not the Press Secretary for POTUS. I don't give a shit what Graham has said or done in the past. And if he's closeted, it's sad he feels like he can't be himself. By all means, go Johnnie's route, but don't make transphobic jokes.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:57 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:56 pm If someone was mocking Lance Armstrong for riding an e-bike, is that indicative of an anti-e-bike stance or a denigration of all people who ride e-bikes?
How many people have been murdered for riding e-bikes?
I'm really upset I didn't go with unicycle.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Giff wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:07 pm And if he's closeted, it's sad he feels like he can't be himself.
I mean... he supports a platform that legislates against the rights of those like him (assuming he is closeted). 'Sad' kind of falls short of an appropriate description.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sure. And I'm extremely grateful I haven't lived a life full of self-denial that he has. I'm not saying he's a someone we should sympathize with, just saying he's so obviously closeted and has such a self-hatred that he acts the way he does and supports the things he does. To me, that's sad because no one should ever live a life like that.

Regardless, we shouldn't applaud jokes made by government officials that makes fun of ones identity or sexual preference or race or anything else like that, no matter who the target is. Would it be ok to make a racist joke about Ben Carson because is part of a party that promotes white supremacy?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Here's someone who definitely needs to be fired.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Only in Washington does that guy land that level of companion.

And I agree, what a shitheel.

Interesting journalism ethics at play there, kind of. Publishing off-the-record comments is certainly bumping up against a line. But when you are threatening and harassing the reporter, I think it's fair game.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Is this Normal for a President? I thought they watched TV, Called into shows, and were ion Twitter all day.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:07 pm Only in Washington does that guy land that level of companion.

Interesting journalism ethics at play there, kind of. Publishing off-the-record comments is certainly bumping up against a line. But when you are threatening and harassing the reporter, I think it's fair game.
Multiple media professionals I follow on twitter have said that "off the record" absolutely becomes "on the record" when threatened/harassed, specifically in response to this story.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:43 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:07 pm Only in Washington does that guy land that level of companion.

Multiple media professionals I follow on twitter have said that "off the record" absolutely becomes "on the record" when threatened/harassed, specifically in response to this story.
Yeah, it's why I said kind of... People want to act like "off the record" is the same as being an informant or something. Like it's a legal turn of phrase. It absolutely isn't, obviously.

I'm always really careful about going off-the-record... If I don't trust the reporter, I'm just not going to go there. I use it a lot more with TV folks because (no offense to anyone) they are "not very nuanced" in how they approach stories. Sometimes you need to hit them over the head with context or they'll completely botch a story.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Dems continue to be Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

It’s going to suck when they lose the Senate and possibly the house in 2022 watching them play that what if game when Biden possibly gets impeached.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

psunate77 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:02 pm Dems continue to be Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

It’s going to suck when they lose the Senate and possibly the house in 2022 watching them play that what if game when Biden possibly gets impeached.
You can’t be serious with this stuff.

Once the prosecutions get under way, the vaccines get administered, COVID becomes a manageable reality, and the economy opens back up, the GOP will regret having to run on the Trump brand in 2022.

McConnell’s own words will be used against the GOP in 2022, too.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:19 pm
psunate77 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:02 pm Dems continue to be Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

Once the prosecutions get under way, the vaccines get administered, COVID becomes a manageable reality, and the economy opens back up, the GOP will regret having to run on the Trump brand in 2022.

I'd also add that Trump and the Trump Organization are going to be in one court or another every day for the next two years. The base will catch his farts, but the end has begun for Trump.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Do you think any of that matters to Repubs if they gain control of both houses?

Devin Nunes already said if they gain control they will impeach Biden in 2022.

Trump was the worst President ever and had a cult and they still gained how many houses in Congress? They will continue to use Gerrymandering and Win both houses back IMO.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:55 pm

I'd also add that Trump and the Trump Organization are going to be in one court or another every day for the next two years. The base will catch his farts, but the end has begun for Trump.
Doubtful..
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The GOP is in a state of crisis.

^ Nate Silver
Last edited by EnochRoot on Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

You guys probably saw the news reports that Trump’s Covid was a lot worse than originally reported. If so, perhaps his health will deteriorate over the next four years.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The GOP is never in crisis.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:15 pm The GOP is never in crisis.
They get a lot of help from the other side.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

This is kind of shit that will kill Biden's ratings.. Glad to see he is gone, but he should have been fired immediately like 46 said would happen if you crossed the line of disrespect.

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:14 pm You guys probably saw the news reports that Trump’s Covid was a lot worse than originally reported. If so, perhaps his health will deteriorate over the next four years.
Or either in jail or a non-extraditing country.
Noli Timere Messorem
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:21 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:14 pm You guys probably saw the news reports that Trump’s Covid was a lot worse than originally reported. If so, perhaps his health will deteriorate over the next four years.
I bet he doesn't serve a day in jail..
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Seven Republican Senators voted to convict the face of the GOP, and the Senate Minority leader admitted Trump's guilt.

If that's not a crisis, what would you call it?
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

psunate77 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:25 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:21 pm
I bet he doesn't serve a day in jail..
Dollars to donuts the Trumps leave the country.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:26 pm
Seven Republican Senators voted to convict the face of the GOP, and the Senate Minority leader admitted Trump's guilt.

If that's not a crisis, what would you call it?
Absolutely nothing. The headlines will read "Trump Acquitted" and we'll forget about it next week.