Hank Aaron

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Hank Aaron

Post by brian »

Very sadly, yes.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
serrano
Brandt

Re: Hank Aaron

Post by serrano »

Holy shit. RIP, Hank.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shit.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Hank Aaron is the only man I idolize more than myself" is one of the all-time great quotes.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Ouch. This one hurts. Never saw him play live as he retired before I was born. Read a lot about him though. True legend!!

Also, he’s the only autograph I ever paid for. A card show in Jersey back in like 86 or so. Was a young guy and it was the first time in my life I was ever starstruck. Not even sure I can say I’ve ever been starstruck since. Have a pic of me shaking his hand somewhere in my home. Obviously still have the autographed pic as well.

RIP Hammer!!
oh shit...
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nooooooo
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Was thinking about how he hit all those home runs in a pitching dominant era, and found this:
In 130 plate appearances, Aaron had a .362 batting average with 7 home runs. Koufax only struck him out 12 times while issuing 14 walks. Aaron’s 42 career hits off of Koufax ranks the highest of anyone.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Does it make me a crotchety old man if I still consider him the true Home Run King?

RIP Hammer.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Reaper wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:08 am Does it make me a crotchety old man if I still consider him the true Home Run King?

RIP Hammer.
I think the majority of Generation X males agree.

Long live the King.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

OK, fuck this.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:33 am
Reaper wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:08 am Does it make me a crotchety old man if I still consider him the true Home Run King?

RIP Hammer.

Long live the King.
I concur!! 100%
oh shit...
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

fuck.

an 86 year old man i'd never met shouldn't affect me but...dammit.

was always one of the few larger-than-life idols for me; i was damn lucky to actually see him play - my first ever live game as a very little kid, Fenway 1976. My dad pointed him out as someone i needed to remember. Somewhere in dad's slide collection i'm sure there's a blurry pic of him at bat.

my 1956 Topps Henry Aaron:
henry1956.gif
henry1956.gif (119.56 KiB) Viewed 443 times
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Hank Aaron was the last all-time great player whose career ended just as I started paying attention to baseball. I was six when he retired.

Dude was a straight up baller. Imagine the weight of knowing there are thousands of unopened letters with your name on them..From some of the most racist people in America.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

For a long time, the first name listed in the great encyclopedia of every player to ever play the Major League Baseball?

Henry Aaron.

There’s poignancy in that.

Until David Aardsma came along and fucked it all up. Nice going, douche.
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:33 am

RIP Hammer.

Long live the King.
Yes. This.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

MaxWebster wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:56 am fuck.

an 86 year old man i'd never met shouldn't affect me but...dammit.

was always one of the few larger-than-life idols for me; i was damn lucky to actually see him play - my first ever live game as a very little kid, Fenway 1976. My dad pointed him out as someone i needed to remember. Somewhere in dad's slide collection i'm sure there's a blurry pic of him at bat.

my 1956 Topps Henry Aaron:

henry1956.gif
That's fantastic.

I had a few old Hank Aaron cards back then. Plus, before the 1974 season, Topps issued a special set of cards - I think each of those 1974 cards had a reprint of the faces of four of Hank's old cards, going all the way back. (So, one card would have the faces of Hank's cards from 1956-59, the next would be 1960-63.) I had the whole set of those too.

My folks let me take over the TV the night he hit his 715th.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ten year-old san carlos read a book Tom Seaver wrote after the Mets won the Series in 1969. I remember Seaver said that the first time he pitched to Hank Aaron, he was starstruck for the only time in his pitching career, and had to walk off the mound for a minute and stare into centerfield while he composed himself. Wow.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

During the winter before he broke the record, i saw a news feature about the racism and hatred and death threats that he was receiving (by the bag full). Man, I cried when I saw it - just the injustice of it all really got to me as a 10 year old.

I wrote to him (care of the Braves) wishing him the best and telling him that I felt bad for what he was going through.

A couple of weeks later, I got the card on the right.

Coincidentally, my son's name is Aaron. When he was born, a buddy got me the card on the left to honour him. He also knew that Hank Aaron was one of my few heroes.

Fuck Barry Bonds. This was a man.

ETA: Saw him play at Jarry Park in Montreal. Awestruck.

Hammering Hank.jpg
Hammering Hank.jpg (114.37 KiB) Viewed 414 times
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:24 pm During the winter before he broke the record, i saw a news feature about the racism and hatred and death threats that he was receiving (by the bag full). Man, I cried when I saw it - just the injustice of it all really got to me as a 10 year old.

I wrote to him (care of the Braves) wishing him the best and telling him that I felt bad for what he was going through.

Coincidentally, my son's name is Aaron. When he was born, a buddy got me the card on the left to honour him. He also knew that Hank Aaron was one of my few heroes.

Hammering Hank.jpg
That’s a nice story man. Thanks for sharing it.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

RIP Hammer.
Nah. Even though it was a little before my time, he was always the HR king to me.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

My crotchety take is that he is the home run king back when home runs were to be celebrated, not expected.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I was only 9 at the time, but I definitely remember watching on TV when he broke the record.

RIP Hammering Hank...

On a side note...a number of years ago, I heard right-wing radio doofus Mike Gallagher saying that Henry Aaron was ungrateful and had over-played the amount of racist abuse he received during the home-run chase. Which led me to find his email address and fire off a fire-and-brimstone angry tirade, which to his credit, he actually responded to.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:34 pm Which led me to find his email address and fire off a fire-and-brimstone angry tirade, which to his credit, he actually responded to.
Dear Young Davy,
Fuck you.
Sincerely,
Mike Gallagher
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:36 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:34 pm Which led me to find his email address and fire off a fire-and-brimstone angry tirade, which to his credit, he actually responded to.
Dear Young Davy,
Fuck you.
Sincerely,
Mike Gallagher
Pretty much. I think I wrote back saying 'Lots of people think you're an asshole, but they probably don't threaten to murder you at your job'. That email he didn't respond to.
SportsDoc
Brandt

Post by SportsDoc »

Saw him hit the HR that passed Babe on a 13'' B&W TV in my dorm room. When the dude came out of the stands I thought "Oh shit". Thought something bad would happen. Thankfully it did not. Really wanted him to break the record the previous fall for his own safety/sanity. Found out years later from my buddy who umpired that MLB has a pretty good, yet quiet security system for any player/umpire who has been threatened. Don't know for sure if it was in place at that time.

RIP "Hammerin' Hank"
"All men can stand adversity. If you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

ah damn, Pruitt, that is beautiful. You got me a little misty down here.
Pruitt wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:24 pm During the winter before he broke the record, i saw a news feature about the racism and hatred and death threats that he was receiving (by the bag full). Man, I cried when I saw it - just the injustice of it all really got to me as a 10 year old.

Hammering Hank.jpg
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

MaxWebster wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:28 pm ah damn, Pruitt, that is beautiful. You got me a little misty down here.

Hammering Hank.jpg
Yup.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

i totally remember those cards! A little before my time, I didn't have them, but i'm sure my cousins must have.

i have 1957 and 1958 Aarons as well - thanks to my dad who probably 50 years ago managed to save a small fraction of his cards from his youth. I will be taking that nostalgia trip tonight, paging through the albums...
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:14 pm
That's fantastic.

I had a few old Hank Aaron cards back then. Plus, before the 1974 season, Topps issued a special set of cards - I think each of those 1974 cards had a reprint of the faces of four of Hank's old cards, going all the way back. (So, one card would have the faces of Hank's cards from 1956-59, the next would be 1960-63.) I had the whole set of those too.

My folks let me take over the TV the night he hit his 715th.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

That is a great story. Couple of the stories actually and the cards. Still lived in SWATs im pretty sure.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This was not a story I wanted to wake up to. Dammit.

I think in 5th or 6th grade we had to do a book report on a biography. I picked his book.

My Dad was just so huge into baseball history, so he liked the fact that I chose it. It was a good read and I remember thinking "Why is he getting all this hate for playing baseball? I don't understand." Wasn't until I was a bit older that I understood.

RIP to a legend.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I bet Curt Schilling is happy.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I would certainly never demean the great Hank Aaron. He deserves all the accolades he earned.

But it seems like some people are using his passing as an opportunity to mourn for days when baseball players were pure and unblemished, and denigrate more recent stars.

If I learned anything from Jim Bouton’s diary of his 1969 season, Ball Four, it was that players always looked for an edge. He noted that amphetamines (“greenies”) were commonly used by players, going back a long way.

We can appreciate Hank Aaron without knocking others.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:19 pm I would certainly never demean the great Hank Aaron. He deserves all the accolades he earned.

But it seems like some people are using his passing as an opportunity to mourn for days when baseball players were pure and unblemished, and denigrate more recent stars.

If I learned anything from Jim Bouton’s diary of his 1969 season, Ball Four, it was that players always looked for an edge. He noted that amphetamines (“greenies”) were commonly used by players, going back a long way.

I’m thinking we need to revoke your Old Guy card.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Old man compromises with cloud.
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Just a thought to add. During the first half of the 1960s, the NL All-Star outfield would have to figure out who would sit between Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, or Frank Robinson.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nice concept, but has this guy ever seen a baseball diamond?

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

This should have been a field day for me to do some ... but you’re all screwing it up.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:25 pm Just a thought to add. During the first half of the 1960s, the NL All-Star outfield would have to figure out who would sit between Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, or Frank Robinson.
Or more accurately decide which of Clemente and Robinson starts or comes off the bench. Because Mays and Aaron aren’t.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

great point, sc.

my mother in law is quite obviously old(school) and was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, she definitely looks at the past with rose-coloured glasses and I argue with her all the time that the only difference between then and now is publicity. All sorts of evidence if you scratch a little that stars have been "juicing" or whatever the edge was (onions on belts, etc.) since pro baseball/sports began.
sancarlos wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:19 pm I would certainly never demean the great Hank Aaron. He deserves all the accolades he earned.