Le Pro Cycling Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Le Pro Cycling Thread

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Okay so I know professional cycling racing in the United States is not so professional, but this weekend was the Air Force Association Cycling Classic. They do a race on Saturday in Clarendon and Sunday in Crystal City (both in Arlington, VA). Anyway, crazy incident (which really seems just like bad course design)

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Le Pro Cycling Thread

Post by wlu_lax6 »

ouch

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Le Tour starts tomorrow. With no big Americans and Le Doping Hangover, it just is not going to be a big big deal. But they start without the normal prologue time trial. Stage 1 will be a spinters ride on Corsica (which has never hosted the Tour before).
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Starts in a few. Who do ya got? It's hard to go against Froome, in my opinion. He looked like he could have beaten Wiggo last year on more than one occasion. I like Van Garderen as well, but it is tough to win when you're not team leader (see Froome).
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

What a first stage! A team bus was stuck under the finish banner with about 15 minutes left, then a massive crash took out about 20 riders, including many of the favorites for the day. It's a glorious mess of a beginning to the TdF.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Are there any Americans even riding this year, or did they all get suspended when they rolled over on Lance?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Van Garderen is American, and he's got an American teammate. Sagan's team has an American. Garmin Sharp has three.

Marcel Kittel, today's winner holds the Yellow, White and Green jerseys after Stage One.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

About 5k out from the end, a little terrier came about 5 feet away from getting smoked by the peloton. The breakaway group near the end lost all of its form just before the finish, and the one man left held off the peloton by a second or so. Jan Bakelants from Radio Shack is your new leader, by one second.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Today's team time trial was fascinating, and Orica Greenedge winning, if even a second or so, shows a lot. I think the best part of the days telecast was the recap of the bus issue from a few stages before. All of the "fucks" in the audio were bleeped and captioned as "fruit!".
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

I have been into this Tour. Great aerial shots by NBCSports (or whatever Euro feed they use).

And chedda, who are the Barves you speak of in your signature?
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Braves, and yes, the NBC coverage of this is fantastic. Their coverage is infinitely better than BeInSport's coverage of the Giro d'Italia. (To be fair, the Giro was infinitely better than BeIn's coverage of the USMNT away qualifier in Jamaica). Paul Sherwen and Phil Liggett are as good as it gets.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Geraint Thomas of Sky is racing with a fractured pelvis. Cyclists just know how to suffer.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Is he still in the Tour today? Sky made a lot of accommodations for him yesterday in the team time trials. It looked like he might withdraw after yesterday's stage.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

govmentchedda wrote:Is he still in the Tour today? Sky made a lot of accommodations for him yesterday in the team time trials. It looked like he might withdraw after yesterday's stage.

He finished today. The announcers said he should get better as it goes on, but I find that hard to believe. He also had a flat back tire at one point so the dude is just cursed it seems.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So, the only black guy in the tour is named Reza? #teamwutang
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

The "Impi" song that Orica Greenedge played for the yellow jersey wearing South African Darell Impey is catchy as hell. That team seems to be the most fun, but then again Australians owned teams usually are.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

After a dominating day by Sky and Froome yesterday, Movistar has bossed the second day in the Pyrenees. On the fifth of five climbs, Froome hung tough alone amongst the Spaniards. Fantastic individual climbs on each of the climbs by relative no names, but quality wins out with two riders, Dan Martin of Garmin Sharp and Jacob Fulsank of Astana finishing neck and neck one and two, with all but one of the top 11 finishing in the chase peloton only 18 seconds behind them. Fantastic day for Froome.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Tour of Utah started today.

If you are not bored silly by watching bikes roll down a road, the replay/highlights of today's stage will be worth watching just for the Southern Utah scenery. Starting from Brian Head Ski Resort, finishing at Cedar City.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote:The Tour of Utah started today.

If you are not bored silly by watching bikes roll down a road, the replay/highlights of today's stage will be worth watching just for the Southern Utah scenery. Starting from Brian Head Ski Resort, finishing at Cedar City.
That's pretty country. Do they get down by Zion/St. George at all?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:The Tour of Utah started today.

That's pretty country. Do they get down by Zion/St. George at all?
Not really. You can see part of Zion N.P. from one of the roads they were riding on yesterday, but that's about it. They also go through Cedar Breaks National Monument, which is very scenic.

Today's stage went right by Bryce N.P., and then along the scenic highway from there to near Capitol Reef. That part is one of my favorite drives.

There will be three stages in Salt Lake City and Park City this week, but I am going out of town and will miss them. Last year I caught the start of one stage and the finish of another, and it was pretty cool.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So 41-year old American and former Lance Lt. Chris Horner wins the Vuelta (last of the Grand Tours). Pretty impressive considering he had some serious knee problems a few months ago and is generally past prime of a pro cyclists. So I guess he is either doping or nobody was doping and it leveled the field.

Oh and he does not have a team for next year.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

One of the great characters of professional cycling, Dave Zabriskie, retires. 13 year pro, who went Vegan during his career, lots of Time Trial Success, and love of superhero comics.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/10/ ... eer_305119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote:One of the great characters of professional cycling, Dave Zabriskie, retires. 13 year pro, who went Vegan during his career, lots of Time Trial Success, and love of superhero comics.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/10/ ... eer_305119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That makes me really sad. It makes me even sadder that he was stripped of his yellow jersey from 2005.

I can't remember the timing, but did he lose his stage win in the Vuelta also? That was an amazing, all-day solo ride.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:One of the great characters of professional cycling, Dave Zabriskie, retires. 13 year pro, who went Vegan during his career, lots of Time Trial Success, and love of superhero comics.
That makes me really sad. It makes me even sadder that he was stripped of his yellow jersey from 2005.

I can't remember the timing, but did he lose his stage win in the Vuelta also? That was an amazing, all-day solo ride.
Voided all results from May 13th 2003->2005 including the 2004 Vuelta stage and the 2005 Tour Stage win (stage 1 how he got the Yellow)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

This is a claim lance bribed a racer to let him win.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/12/ ... ace_311116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote:This is a claim lance bribed a racer to let him win.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/12/ ... ace_311116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where did Lance get $100K in cash in 1993?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

If you like watching cyclists eat it, today is your day.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

2 days in a row that favorite, and returning champion, Chris Froome has gone down. If he keeps this up, he won't have any racing kits without holes left.

Also, Marcel Kittel won 2 stages in a row, and 3 out of 4, yet he stands nearly 20 minutes behind the overall leader, Vincenzo Nibali.

After a while, all of the different competitions within the Tour could start to feel like an "everyone gets a trophy" youth soccer league, but I think it's a necessary evil to have so many different things on the line so that there are so many story lines to follow throughout le Tour.

Last summer, I said that the TdF was my favorite sport to watch on TV (scenery, competition, story lines, etc.). My stance may have changed a bit, after being reminded this summer about how great the World Cup can be, but le Tour is still fantastic.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Froome is out. This is insane! Like the course is winning 7-1 insane.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

And Froome is out. Abandoned the tour after another fall.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Like the cobblestones weren't enough, the rain is making this stage brutal.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Saw about an hour before the cobbles and it was pretty bad. Rain was tough on the peleton. Really is enjoyable to watch particularly since its live in the AM.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

http://www.businessinsider.com/tour-de- ... one-2014-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Thick fog on the Tour today. Hard to see anything. Somebody from SAXO Timkoff looks like he's done for the Tour. Can't tell who.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Holy shit, it's Contador. This race is wide open, unless you're a favorite, then you're fucked.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

An very good career for Hushovd. If you have watched the Tour you know the name.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/09/ ... day_346375" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of this generation of riders are hanging them up. Cadel Evans also said he would hang them up after the Tour of Australia (first race of next year).
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

This could have turned out very bad
http://www.businessinsider.com/afp-fran ... sts-2015-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Here's a better view:

You can understand it from the perspective of the first guys--they were probably better off going through than causing a pileup/crash on the tracks. But the dudes who stopped and then snuck past the policeman?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

if you have the NBC sports mobile app and some time to kill this morning, the last stage of the Dauphine is on in a few. Been a pretty great race to this point, and today they climb this (holy shit!)

Apparently it's not that long and it's a cat-2, and it will be used in the Tour as well.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nigel Powers wrote:There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch
http://www.bicycling.com/racing/2015-to ... -de-france" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;