A Nasty Stiffarm

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: A Nasty Stiffarm

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:38 am 6 cases seems very low to make such a huge decision like that.
Don't know if this is confirmed, but I just read something saying the J&J blood clot cases have been closer to 14 days out, which means the math is a lot less than the 6 in 6.8MM being discussed and would better explain the pause.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:38 am 6 cases seems very low to make such a huge decision like that.
Yup. 6 cases out of 7 million.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Wife had the second shot of Pfizer early last week, knocked her out through TH. She had a rough night last night and is feeling nauseous and dizzy today. She's reading this is not uncommon.

(She was trying to tell me it was food poisoning, bless her heart. I'm like.. Let's apply Occam's Razor to this situation. We both eat the same food every day...)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:15 amYup. 6 cases out of 7 million.
I get this, but without knowing what's being reviewed we can't know if this was a mistake. If they think they've targeted a specific combination of factors, the general risk remains almost zero but a certain subset could be walking in low to moderate risk. I would have to speculate that's the case; they aren't reacting to the overall number of six, but the total demographic set that those six fall into.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I suppose. how many die of covid if they stop giving the vaccine over 6 out of some subset of 7 million though?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can you compare active harm to passive harm when there are other vaccines (and the standard prevention measures in place)?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’m also saying this assuming it’s a true pause and J&J will be in rotation within a week, possibly with a subset excluded.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:47 am Can you compare active harm to passive harm when there are other vaccines (and the standard prevention measures in place)?
Given that there is not enough Pfizer/Moderna available for everyone and that J & J was helping to bridge the gap, yes, withholding J & J on 6 cases out of 7 million is very likely going to result in more death than continuing with the J & J.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But if they have identified or are close to identifying a specific demo affected, its not six in 7MM. Its a likely much smaller group of people that are unknowingly at far greater risk of harm to the benefit of everyone else. I have to assume(?) that goes against some general principles of medicine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

As usual, I'm 100% on board with Mr. D here.

There's only 6 reported cases so far. There could be more that have happened since a lot of that won't necessarily make it into the CDC's stats right away. And of course there could also be more in the pipeline that haven't happened yet.

Blood clots are terrible and painful and can cause lifelong damage. I got a routine DVT in the hospital after my bike wreck, and it was the most painful part of the whole process, and I had to take bloodthinners and get checkups for months afterward. Luckily I ended up fine.

IIRC, when they suspended one of the vaccines for blood clot issues in Europe, they reinstated it after a short pause, with directions that the vaccine was fine for some people but others should avoid that one and use one of the other vaxxes instead.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:56 am But if they have identified or are close to identifying a specific demo affected, its not six in 7MM. Its a likely much smaller group of people that are unknowingly at far greater risk of harm to the benefit of everyone else. I have to assume(?) that goes against some general principles of medicine.
This too.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This too:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I wasn't gonna drag my feet anyway, but once I saw that breaking news alert this morning I booked my appt's for the first full day we'll be back in Vegas next weekend. I was frankly kind of hoping to get the JNJ vaccine (and would still take it), but didn't want to fuck if that's out of the mix by the end of next week still.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:17 am
Reaper wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:50 am As I put in the Capn Anxiety thread, I'm scheduled for J&J tomorrow, but I guess we shall see if I'm still allowed to get it. I will if they let me.
Already heard of one person slotted for tomorrow who has been cancelled.
Just got the official call that I've been canceled, but while I've been stuck in a Zoom meeting, my wife has been on the ball and I already have a Pfizer shot scheduled for Saturday.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Reaper wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:12 pm Just got the official call that I've been canceled, but while I've been stuck in a Zoom meeting, my wife has been on the ball and I already have a Pfizer shot scheduled for Saturday.
I am getting calls from where I wait listed. Might be my location, but things are opening up around here. I got Pfizer at a CVS in Lewistown. Not many masks down there.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

testuser2 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:47 pm
Reaper wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:12 pm Just got the official call that I've been canceled, but while I've been stuck in a Zoom meeting, my wife has been on the ball and I already have a Pfizer shot scheduled for Saturday.
I am getting calls from where I wait listed. Might be my location, but things are opening up around here. I got Pfizer at a CVS in Lewistown. Not many masks down there.
According to the wife, it was pretty easy getting a make-up appointment, as MontCo (where I am) and ChesCo, both had enough that they opened it up to everyone a week early. I went from the pharmacy at the grocery store (the canceled J&J) to a vax site next to a middle school and am hearing that pretty much if you want to make an appointment, you can get one without much trouble.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My wife's health department's little drive-thru, once a week (last week was the first time they had a second day) clinic that could will be administering their 10,000th vaccination today.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:19 am My wife's health department's little drive-thru, once a week (last week was the first time they had a second day) clinic that could will be administering their 10,000th vaccination today.
That's an amazing accomplishment! Congrats to her and her team. I really can't imagine adding all of that, and dealing with COVID in general, to their normal workload.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:51 am
rass wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:19 am My wife's health department's little drive-thru, once a week (last week was the first time they had a second day) clinic that could will be administering their 10,000th vaccination today.
That's an amazing accomplishment! Congrats to her and her team. I really can't imagine adding all of that, and dealing with COVID in general, to their normal workload.
That's fantastic. How many shots are they doing in a day?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:38 am
10,000. They don't call it a grand opening for nothing!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:38 am
I worked a 1/2 day (9AM-1PM) clinic this past Saturday (with a couple of swampers who can out themselves if they want, thanks guys) and I believe they did just under 700 shots that day. A normal Wednesday is 9AM-4PM (or maybe 5PM?) and I would guess they'll get close to 1000? It definitely took a while for them to become that efficient.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Great work, gents!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

pfizer shot one today. very sore left arm, 2 and a half mediocre minute\s of vaccine related jokes, kind of tired, anxiety on 5000. not sure at all how im going to fell about dose 2 on cinco de mayo, but i'll deal with that later
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

TT2.0 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:24 pm pfizer shot one today. very sore left arm, 2 and a half mediocre minute\s of vaccine related jokes, kind of tired, anxiety on 5000. not sure at all how im going to fell about dose 2 on cinco de mayo, but i'll deal with that later
Proud of you, man.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

That's great TT, even if you had your doubts. Good on you for powering through your anxieties and doing the right thing.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

TT2.0 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:24 pm pfizer shot one today. very sore left arm, 2 and a half mediocre minute\s of vaccine related jokes, kind of tired, anxiety on 5000. not sure at all how im going to fell about dose 2 on cinco de mayo, but i'll deal with that later
Attaboy. Thanks, man.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Great TT
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nice! Keep moving the arm, it'll prevent the soreness from getting worse.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That’s fantastic, TT. The arm pain goes away soon, and hopefully without that reminder your anxiety will lessen soon as well.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:30 pm
Proud of you, man.
X2. Stay healthy so we can come see you headline somewhere.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just turn to every single person there and say "More like Vaccine-co de ME-oh, amiright?!?" until someone either laughs or hits you.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Will be fun to watch the media find a way to keep fear-mongering...

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

the vaccines are a fucking miracle from brilliant fucking scientists. That should still be the fucking headline.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:31 am Will be fun to watch the media find a way to keep fear-mongering...

I'm really starting to wear down on "the media". I hate that regardless of what you believe on this, every platform is just using it to keep eyes on the TV and sell you soda.

There needs to be a pure science news network.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Um, where's the fear-mongering?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Giff wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:01 am Um, where's the fear-mongering?
Yeah am I reading that headline wrong or something?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:59 am
Just turn to every single person there and say "More like Vaccine-co de ME-oh, amiright?!?" until someone either laughs or hits you.
Brilliant!

There has to be a "Covid-69" joke there somewhere.

And you guys are blessed that you're getting second shots in just a few weeks. 16 weeks up here.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:33 am
mister d wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:59 am
Brilliant!

There has to be a "Covid-69" joke there somewhere.

And you guys are blessed that you're getting second shots in just a few weeks. 16 weeks up here.
Exchange rates are a bitch.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Couvid.