Swamp Rec's: Not-so-cheap sunglasses

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Swamp Rec's: Not-so-cheap sunglasses

Post by DaveInSeattle »

After my eye-doctor appointment yesterday, I've decided to finally give up on wearing contacts, since I'm now wearing progressive glasses, and having to wear reading glasses over my contacts is annoying as hell.

So...the downside is that I need some sunglasses. Need to have the progressive prescription lenses, polarized (for wearing them on the water sailing), and reasonably lightweight.

Anyone have any recommendations?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Rec's: Not-so-cheap sunglasses

Post by A_B »

I loved my Maui Jim’s.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'd never buy expensive or corrective sunglasses. I either break or lose them regularly, so the best option for me is cheap drugstore sunglasses.

I wear one contact lens for distance sight (the other eye was fixed for distance by cataract surgery). But, I have to use reading glasses, too. I don't mind. I got ThinOptics that are stored on the back of my cell phone. So, now, I finally have readers that I don't lose.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:45 pm I'd never buy expensive or corrective sunglasses. I either break or lose them regularly, so the best option for me is cheap drugstore sunglasses.

I wear one contact lens for distance sight (the other eye was fixed for distance by cataract surgery). But, I have to use reading glasses, too. I don't mind. I got ThinOptics that are stored on the back of my cell phone. So, now, I finally have readers that I don't lose.
Just lost my $20 cvs sunglasses and I have to pick up a prescription tomorrow, so I feel ya dawg.

Realized I can’t do ray-bans after a round of golf when I stupidly threw them on the drivers seat in my car and then proceeded to get out of my shoes and put my clubs in the trunk. Didn’t look before getting in and then “crunch”, bye bye $120. I am
why I can’t have nice things.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My ray-bans are somewhere in the Atlantic off asbury. Equally dumb decision going under a big wave.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:37 pm I loved my Maui Jim’s.
My wife and I both love them, but I tend to lose shit and the I borrowed hers and left them on the passenger seat one day they got sat on. I need to mail them in for the repair, but keep forgetting.

I don't get to buy another pair, having lost 2 at this point.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Was just thinking I need some new glasses. I really like the tortoise Ray Ban New Wayfarer.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

If you are looking for cheap, I've worn quite a few pair of Goodr for running, but some pairs and lenses are better than others. My vision is great, but my eyes are very light sensitive, and it's sunny often down here, so I'm always in shades.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:03 pm Was just thinking I need some new glasses. I really like the tortoise Ray Ban New Wayfarer.
Check the beach, those are the ones I lost.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I’m a fan of Revo, although I have a number of Oakley and Maui Jim as well. All three are great. Yes, I have a collection of don’t-need-to-spend-that-much sunglasses but I like changing the look and the lenses depending on what I’m doing and the light conditions.

Whatever you settle on get polarized lenses.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

I got two pairs of non prescription ray bans for free using my vision insurance. They both have the option for prescription.

JUSTIN CLASSIC LOW BRIDGE FIT:

https://www.ray-ban.com/hongkong/en/sun ... 3132580820

NEW WAYFARER CLASSIC:

https://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/ ... 5289048527
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Been loyal to Maui Jim for the past 20 years. Except for the time I lost my pair on a freakin public bus. I was so mad at myself I decided to buy a lesser, yet still quality pair of Smiths sunglasses instead. But then a year later I was back on the MJ train. Or surfboard. Yeah. I doubt they have much trains in Hawaii.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My snap response is going to be Ray Bans.

I've been issued so many Oakley and ESS glasses for deployments I'll never have to buy some.

And let me be the one dude on this board that *found* Ray Bans. Gold framed aviators lying lenses side up next to a Porsche in a Target parking lot like 12 years ago.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I tend to not lose glasses, so I'm ok spending ~$100-150 on RB. The plastic seem to hold up better than the wire for me.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Yeah same here. Raybz all the way. And I find that once sunglasses are worth that much and you can’t see outside in the summer without them, you won’t treat them like, you know, sunglasses
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Totally ironic, got an email about sales on the Ray-Ban site and now I've replaced the wayfarers I lost. Jump on it, guys!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I've never owned any (I'm a rayban guy also) but they come highly recommended. Prescription/polarized available.

https://www.zealoptics.com