Fantasy F1

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Fantasy F1

Post by bfj »

All done with S3 and ready for the 2021 season now. This season had some amazing moments.
[+] spoiler
That fire Grosjean was in was terrifying.
[+] spoiler
Really felt for Sergio Perez when he got his first win and I’m glad to see he got a seat w Red Bull.
Daniel Ricciardo is still the man.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, this is the first F1 season where I've watched a decent chunk of the races that are captured by the Netflix cameras. It's actually a little head spinning, tbh.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I think I've changed my fantasy lineup at least 10x so far.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I haven't had a chance to start season 3. is the fake announcer back again for the in-race stuff? that's easily the worst part of the series.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:03 pm I haven't had a chance to start season 3. is the fake announcer back again for the in-race stuff? that's easily the worst part of the series.
Hadn't noticed, but then again, I haven't watched an actual race yet. THIS WEEKEND THO!

I get the sense that Netflix could only travel to Australia, Monza, Bahrain, and maybe a couple other races last year due to the pandemic. We watched ep 8 last night and it was all about McLaren and the bromance turned rivalry between Sainz and Norris. It ends with them battling at Monza. That race is covered pretty extensively in the Alpha Tauri episode, so the winner was already known, even if you just started paying attention in the past few weeks, like I have.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It's funny, last season (IRL) was the first F1 I'd watched "live." Really enjoy the announcing, but hadn't thought about it in the context of the Netflix stuff.

I have definitely picked up on the "fake announcing" in the context of other shows, mostly of the Last Chance U variety, where it's obvious they aren't pulling from radio/tv commentary. Doesn't really bother me, for the most part... I can't remember which series it was, but one of them the announcing was so hokey it really put me off the show.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:03 pm I haven't had a chance to start season 3. is the fake announcer back again for the in-race stuff? that's easily the worst part of the series.
Murray Walker the voice of F1 passed away last week, some of his best moments

https://fb.watch/4q68DazSyV/
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

It never bothered me. I wouldn’t know that he was a fake announcer. I’m a sucker for the radio communication between driver and engineer though. Box Box Box.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

The Mrs. brought home a book from her library called “The Racers” by Neil Bascomb and its a book about the efforts of Hitler and the 3rd Reich to dominate F1 as performative superiority over the rest of Europe in what Germany believed was not only high stakes racing, but preparation for mechanized warfare, But people undertook look efforts including a of a group of racers who did everything they could to defeat Hitler’s aptly named Mercedes “Silver Arrows” who were dropping the hammer on everyone else
I the 1930. A flinty, attractive American hielass bankrolled the whole effort with Rahaye automaker and that’s as far as I’ve got but for a young adult non-fiction, it’s chock full of basic origin story of F1 and I would highly recommend it.

I’m finding myself developing for F1 the same kind of feeling I was having 10 years go about Premier League Soccer and I’m now obsessed with the PL.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

serrano wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:14 pm The Mrs. brought home a book from her library called “The Racers” by Neil Bascomb and its a book about the efforts of Hitler and the 3rd Reich to dominate F1 as performative superiority over the rest of Europe in what Germany believed was not only high stakes racing, but preparation for mechanized warfare, But people undertook look efforts including a of a group of racers who did everything they could to defeat Hitler’s aptly named Mercedes “Silver Arrows” who were dropping the hammer on everyone else
I the 1930. A flinty, attractive American hielass bankrolled the whole effort with Rahaye automaker and that’s as far as I’ve got but for a young adult non-fiction, it’s chock full of basic origin story of F1 and I would highly recommend it.

I’m finding myself developing for F1 the same kind of feeling I was having 10 years go about Premier League Soccer and I’m now obsessed with the PL.
100% agree with your last paragraph, but curious about your first. Didn't F1 start in 1950?

- everything I know about F1, I learned in the last month via D2S, and random website browsing
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:17 pm
serrano wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:14 pm The Mrs. brought home a book from her library called “The Racers” by Neil Bascomb and its a book about the efforts of Hitler and the 3rd Reich to dominate F1 as performative superiority over the rest of Europe in what Germany believed was not only high stakes racing, but preparation for mechanized warfare, But people undertook look efforts including a of a group of racers who did everything they could to defeat Hitler’s aptly named Mercedes “Silver Arrows” who were dropping the hammer on everyone else

100% agree with your last paragraph, but curious about your first. Didn't F1 start in 1950?

- everything I know about F1, I learned in the last month via D2S, and random website browsing
Maybe the current iteration did, but these races in Monaco and Franchorps involved cars called formula cars, and the formula had to do with maximum engine size, maximum horsepower, maximum wheelbase, erc, erc. According to this book, rallies that ended Monaco started in Nowayn in January and it was just who got there first in terms of winning. It was a favor, but then they had to do break test, figure 8 driving exhibitions, and then they can win the rally. 2400 miles long. Average speed had to be 25’to
Remain qualified. Bonkers shit. Great book.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

24 hour deadline to lock in your team for Bahrain!

They're out on the track now for practice.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

bfj wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:07 pm
It never bothered me. I wouldn’t know that he was a fake announcer. I’m a sucker for the radio communication between driver and engineer though. Box Box Box.
I say that when we pull into our driveway.. Never gets old!*

* My wife and daughter might disagree.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Just watched the Ferrari DtS episode last night. Wow. Spicy. And explains some of what I've gathered with the changes coming into this season.
[+] spoiler
Side note, sorta, it's funny how much breaking of the 4th wall that is going on this season with the Netflix crew. And catching LeClerc warning his folks that "there is a mic above your head" was both funny and a little.. I dunno... shows you how guarded they are when it's their weekend now.

Even with that, they catch Vettel talking to another race manager in a very professionally flirty way. His look back and recognition it was caught by Netflix was hilarious.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Oh, sorry to go on a post run. My wife and I's topic on our walk the other day:

Do we think the popularity of Netflix in the US is going to spur another stop or two? I know there are a number of other cities that have the capability, unless I'm wildly off about Las Vegas, Dallas, Indy, etc.

For my daughter's 21st, we are strongly considering a trip to Austin for the race. Would be cool to have other options.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

we're going to austin to COTA ... for the nascar race. if only the F1 race wasn't during football season
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Lets see if I understand all the names on the chart.
[+] spoiler
Aston Martin was Force India/Racing Point

Alpha Tauri was Toro Rosso (Red Bull's 2nd team)
Is Alpine a new team or are they a renamed team?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:36 am Oh, sorry to go on a post run. My wife and I's topic on our walk the other day:

Do we think the popularity of Netflix in the US is going to spur another stop or two? I know there are a number of other cities that have the capability, unless I'm wildly off about Las Vegas, Dallas, Indy, etc.

For my daughter's 21st, we are strongly considering a trip to Austin for the race. Would be cool to have other options.
One of the F1 podcasts that I listen to now (Scuderia F1, two lovely Canadians that are totally in the bag for the Strolls, but otherwise unbiased) mentioned that on their most recent pod. They specifically mentioned setting up a Grand Prix in Miami. Fuck Miami though.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

bfj wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:25 pm Lets see if I understand all the names on the chart.
[+] spoiler

Formerly Renault, but Cyril is gone.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:58 pm
bfj wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:25 pm Lets see if I understand all the names on the chart.
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
When Daniel walks away from your team, your days are numbered. I wonder if he got the tattoo?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

bfj wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:41 pm
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
When Daniel walks away from your team, your days are numbered. I wonder if he got the tattoo?
[+] spoiler
I don't think he got them yet. Pretty sure I read an interview with the Aussie dreamboat where he said that they hadn't finalized it yet.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:27 pm
bfj wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:41 pm
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
I don't think he got them yet. Pretty sure I read an interview with the Aussie dreamboat where he said that they hadn't finalized it yet.
That’s so Danny.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Roped in the wife, with the daughter as consiglieri!!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Team Piston Honda had Q1, Q3, & Q5!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ballsy by three of you to do 3x points, but I think you each have Max, so it pays off so far.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:43 pm Ballsy by three of you to do 3x points, but I think you each have Max, so it pays off so far.
Had I understood the rules, I would have realized we only had 1/half season. Blissful ignorance pays off.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

How are you guy seeing other teams/points? I must be missing something.

That said, loved watching Q1-2-3 with skin in the game today.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:10 pm How are you guy seeing other teams/points? I must be missing something.

That said, loved watching Q1-2-3 with skin in the game today.
They become live to view for all once it locks for the week, but they're not on the group leaderboard yet. Have to click on each team individually.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I was just missing the click thru... Got it now.

Tomorrow is going to be a battle!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nikita MazeSPIN spins out after 3 turns. “There’s no reason to spin out when you have the slowest car on the grid”.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Who is Tony C? We had a 12th team sign up today.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

That was me, bit late to the grid
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Baloney wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:04 am That was me, bit late to the grid
Welcome!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

HAM
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Travzilla with a monster week! He’s your leader after Bahrain.
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

bfj wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:51 pm Travzilla with a monster week! He’s your leader after Bahrain.
My man-crush on Lando paying off already :)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I feel like an idiot, but I'm just not able to deal with the interface well. How are you guys seeing standings?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:51 pm I feel like an idiot, but I'm just not able to deal with the interface well. How are you guys seeing standings?
(In this instance) You’re no idiot. I just went through each team to see how many points they each had. Not sure when actual standings will post.