Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by brian »

Unsurprisingly, Jon Stewart fucking gets it.
“Please understand that a lot of what the right does, and it’s maybe their greatest genius, is they’ve created a code of conduct that they police, that they themselves don’t have to, in any way, abide,” Stewart said. “Don’t get caught in a trap of thinking you can live up to a code of integrity that will be enough for the propagandist right. There isn’t. And so, create your own moral code to live by, but don’t be fooled into trying to make concessions that you think will mollify them.”
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Letterkenny coming to US on Hulu (at least the first two seasons) on July 13.

Shame they couldn't hammer out rights for the whole series as a new season hits two weeks before this Hulu thing starts.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I am very much enjoying Westworld this season.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’m obviously biased but I agree with the theory that Detroiters might be the most fun show on TV.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:48 pm I’m obviously biased but I agree with the theory that Detroiters might be the most fun show on TV.
Just programmed the pvr to record all of them!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:02 pm
brian wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:48 pm I’m obviously biased but I agree with the theory that Detroiters might be the most fun show on TV.
The best part is that at least once per episode there's a parody of an old-school Detroit TV commercial that is funny on its own, but ridiculously hysterical if you're from Detroit.

ETA: Also Sam Richardson just makes me laugh. He was/is the secret weapon on Veep.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

This is like the 4th time in a month this has come up. It's DVR or Tivo. Stop it with the PVR.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:25 am
This is like the 4th time in a month this has come up. It's DVR or Tivo. Stop it with the PVR.
Canadian pride is having a resurgence. We call it "PVR" up here.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:37 pm
BSF21 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:25 am
Canadian pride is having a resurgence. We call it "PVR" up here.
"Polite Video Recording"?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"Personal Video Recorder"

"Polite" is much better though.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BoJack Season Five drops September 14. Straight from the...er...horse's mouth.

RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

brian wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:23 pm Unsurprisingly, Jon Stewart fucking gets it.
“Please understand that a lot of what the right does, and it’s maybe their greatest genius, is they’ve created a code of conduct that they police, that they themselves don’t have to, in any way, abide,” Stewart said. “Don’t get caught in a trap of thinking you can live up to a code of integrity that will be enough for the propagandist right. There isn’t. And so, create your own moral code to live by, but don’t be fooled into trying to make concessions that you think will mollify them.”
Absolutely true, but, I'd venture, equally true of the far-left PC police. Though I must say, I don't count Jon Stewart among their detestable number; aside from being very funny, I agree with him nine times out of 10... :)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Kind of enjoying Succession on HBO but the only satisfying ending to the show will be every member of the Roy family ending up homeless and broke and/or in jail.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Watched the premier of Yellowstone last week and am curious to see how the rest of the season shakes out because I don't know if I've been this conflicted on a show since Sons of Anarchy (which doesn't bode well since one of the show-runners of Yellowstone also did SOA. But let me explain.

First of all, the show is absolutely gorgeously shot. I don't know where it's filmed (it's set in Montana on what is purportedly in the show the largest cattle ranch in the United States, roughly the size of Rhode Island), but it looks incredible. The cast ranges from solidly OK to great in some cases, though Kevin Costner lands near the bottom of that range. And the central premise of the show has promise -- there's a lot of threads, but you've got a family drama, a political thriller, a show about the business world in what is still very much the "Old West" and of course, a lush Western.

Where the show really falls down is that anything having to do with the other central plot of development vs. land preservation (vis a vis the expansion of Bozeman, MT towards the area of land controlled by the family of Costner's paterfamilias) is -- to be quite frank -- fucking ridiculous.

There's a great show here if the showrunners were interested in trying to show all sides evenly, but the developer trying to build a housing development near Costner's land has all the subtlety of a Bond villain mainlining crystal meth and taking a sledgehammer to a sack full of puppies. Yellowstone often portrays Costner and his family as saints by comparison despite the fact that a lot of the action on the screen portrays them as anything but. (This is where my critique of SoA comes in because that was another show that never had the guts to portray all of its characters in shades of gray or even probably more accurately in shades of black.)

Because the reality is there are no heroes in Yellowstone, but no one who is solely evil either, though the show wants us to think that the developers (and the government lackeys doing their bidding) are the enemies of progress and good people everywhere when the truth out in the real world is that someone has to build new homes and they often have to be built in places like Bozeman where people want to live.

Just disappoints me when there's a show with a great premise and great promise (and fantastic cinematography) that gets undone by lazy writing.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

brian wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:13 pm Kind of enjoying Succession on HBO but the only satisfying ending to the show will be every member of the Roy family ending up homeless and broke and/or in jail.
I'm on board as well. I'm hoping for some sort of circular firing squad...figurative or literal.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Just saw that the only good non-sports, non-documentary, live-action show currently on TV, and easily one of the top five all-time (along with Doctor Who, Star Trek TOS, X-Files, and The Sopranos), will begin filming next week for season 14. :)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Better Call Saul premieres for another season on August 6. From this trailer, it appears he might finally be making the big step from the Slippin' Jimmy of BCS to the Saul Goodman of BB.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shit, thanks for the heads up on BCS! That show is amazing.

You have to think they're going to wrap after 5 seasons, right?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:39 pm Shit, thanks for the heads up on BCS! That show is amazing.

Schnauz, Gilligan et al have said they have a plan for about five seasons. Maybe six like BB with a longer fifth season broken up by a hiatus (at that point it often comes down to gaming the contracts the producers and stars have to make sure a "new" season doesn't trigger).

Renewal has been up in the air every year because BCS doesn't do the kind of ratings BB was getting, but it's probably safe to assume AMC will let them finish the way they want at this point, so I suspect they're coming to the end of the road here.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:54 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:39 pm Shit, thanks for the heads up on BCS! That show is amazing.

Schnauz, Gilligan et al have said they have a plan for about five seasons. Maybe six like BB with a longer fifth season broken up by a hiatus (at that point it often comes down to gaming the contracts the producers and stars have to make sure a "new" season doesn't trigger).

Renewal has been up in the air every year because BCS doesn't do the kind of ratings BB was getting, but it's probably safe to assume AMC will let them finish the way they want at this point, so I suspect they're coming to the end of the road here.
EXCELLENT. Not that anyone pays attention to my bullshit, but I've got a pretty strict Five Season Rule... Beyond that point, almost every show is on the decline.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

I hear we might see a little Cranston and Paul in the next season
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Avram wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:24 pm

I admit I haven't watched BCS, but why would Cranston's character need a shady lawyer? Or would there conceivable be timeline overlap?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:27 pm

I admit I haven't watched BCS, but why would Cranston's character need a shady lawyer? Or would there conceivable be timeline overlap?
Overlap I'd guess. You kinda figure that we know where this is headed as far as where BCS wraps up and flows into BrBa.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'd be surprised if it was this upcoming season. A story I just read said that Cranston hadn't even visited one of the sets yet (though it's possible they've managed to keep it well-hidden). Still, if it had happened I would have expected news to have leaked. (Paul on the other hand admitted in the same story that he has visited the set, but said he hadn't appeared on camera. Still that could be a fib as well.)

That said, I'd be shocked if it doesn't happen in whatever the final season ends up being. Cranston's idea wasn't even to have Jimmy/Saul interact with Walter White in the BB universe but just rather have the two of them in the same proximity in ABQ. Like eating at a Sadie's at the same time or something before their paths even cross "officially". If so, that would be pretty cool in a way.

I fully expect BCS to eventually end with a time jump to Saul's situation in Omaha, possibly because Saul is unable to remain confined to his boring, suburban Cinnabon hell. If we've learned anything about this character it's that he's able to resist his basest impulses for awhile, but not forever.

ETA: I have it backwards. Cranston visited during S3, Paul has not yet. Remember that S4 was shot last winter, so unless it's been kept under wraps for several months, there will be no WW or Jesse Pinkman in S4. Still, it's kind of inevitable it'll happen I think. Some people seem to think the show might end the moment Walter White walks into Saul Goodman & Associates in the BB timeline, but that's too pat for someone like Gilligan. I really think they're going to try and shoot the moon with the finale if they're allowed to and it'll happen in "present day", possibly with Jimmy/Saul/Gene making a poor decision in trying to reunite with Kim Wexler, who remember is from Nebraska. I don't think it's an accident that Jimmy/Saul/Gene is in Omaha.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:28 am No idea why Jones gets so much run.
Nominated for an Emmy.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gilligan said at ComicCon today no Paul/Cranston in season four, they’re going to do at least one more season and they have a plan for pulling them in before the end of BCS.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BoJack Horseman to air in syndication on Comedy Central.

This is actually kind of a big deal. BoJack is the first-ever Netflix show to ever be sold into syndication.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

OMG you guys, Carrie Coon was Dennis love interest in IASIP Season 3, Episode 1. (Dumpster Baby).
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Chris Rock to star in Season 4 of Fargo.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Really digging this new season of Snowfall. This is the show I was hoping for.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Succession was fantastic start to finish. Worth your monthly HBO nut.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rams Fanny wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:12 pm Succession was fantastic start to finish. Worth your monthly HBO nut.
Agreed, except I've only seen episodes 1, 2, & 9.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rams Fanny wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:12 pm Succession was fantastic start to finish. Worth your monthly HBO nut.
I haven't been compelled to watch a tv show live in a long time, but I made the effort Sunday night. That last scene was brutal.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This looks great.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The GF and I don't watch very much TV, but we are trying to finish off Season 2 of The Handmaids Tale. And, after the episode we watched last night...(Episode 10, 'The Last Ceremony') I don't know how much more I can watch. Its just so fucking bleak. I mean, the story is well written, and the acting is fantastic, and it looks great...but it would be nice if there was something good that happened for someone at some point.

I keep waiting for Offred to go full-on-Liam-Neeson in 'Taken' mode.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My wife and our favorite couple watch the show and text about it, and I can't even. Why the fuck do I want to depress myself? I felt the same way about LOST. I knew they were going nowhere with that dumb story.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I "enjoyed" S1 very much, but I found myself almost dreading watching S2.

So, you know, I haven't.

It gives me the same overall feel as The Walking Dead did and I eventually quite that show for the same reason.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Too much Letterkenny stuff on Youtube today. Happy Friday :)