Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by brian »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:52 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:44 pm So, I've been spending some time in New Mexico with my ill father. Going back on Sunday. It is maddening being in the room with my parents as they "watch" tv. I put that in quotes, because my my father changes channels every minute or so, so you never get continuity on any program. Then, there is their choice of programming. Have you ever watched The Bachelor? Gotta be a new low for our society. I had to leave the room. Right now, the featured Bachelor is a good looking guy who is regularly referred to as "a football star". I'd never heard of him so I looked him up. He is a former undrafted free agent who had a couple cups of coffee on practice squads, but never appeared in any games.
For me it was Fixer Upper Marathons (and of course the nightly news)
I'm pretty sure my wife's mother watches literally nothing other than the local news and HGTV. I'm sure she must, but I've legit never seen her watching anything else any time we've been there for a visit.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:44 pm So, I've been spending some time in New Mexico with my ill father. Going back on Sunday. It is maddening being in the room with my parents as they "watch" tv. I put that in quotes, because my my father changes channels every minute or so, so you never get continuity on any program. Then, there is their choice of programming. Have you ever watched The Bachelor? Gotta be a new low for our society. I had to leave the room. Right now, the featured Bachelor is a good looking guy who is regularly referred to as "a football star". I'd never heard of him so I looked him up. He is a former undrafted free agent who had a couple cups of coffee on practice squads, but never appeared in any games.
My wife and 20 year old daughter watch it religiously (and have for years).

When they watch it, I tell them that I am the only feminist in the house. It is a grotesque exhibition, lightened by the fact that it is almost completely fake.

But still...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So you guys watch nothing but prestige tv? Is sports worse than hgtv? People watch what they like. Is that so bad?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:10 pm So you guys watch nothing but prestige tv? Is sports worse than hgtv? People watch what they like. Is that so bad?
I don't know about hgtv, but it you choose to spend your time watching the Bachelor, I am definitely going to judge you.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Whenever we are at the mother in laws the wife and MIL get into HGTV or Dateline. Thankfully its in a good a Colorado town and there's a half decent brewery down the street.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’m not really judging honestly. There’s way worse shit than HGTV. Just sharing a story.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Yeah, I actually enjoy Fixer Upper and most of HGTV (other than my resentfulness of lower real estate prices compared to the Boston area and the pervasive theme on the network that it's okay to go way over budget with your home purchase).
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Clears throat. Looks around.

I watch hgtv and diy on the regular. Great escapes from having to ever see trump. Current fave is Maine cabin masters - current dream - getting a Maine cabin.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:09 am
A_B wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:10 pm So you guys watch nothing but prestige tv? Is sports worse than hgtv? People watch what they like. Is that so bad?
I don't know about hgtv, but it you choose to spend your time watching the Bachelor, I am definitely going to judge you.
Ok the bachelor does look awful.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I always have time for "House Hunters International" and have watched too many episodes of "Four Weddings."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:08 am Clears throat. Looks around.

I watch hgtv and diy on the regular. Great escapes from having to ever see trump. Current fave is Maine cabin masters - current dream - getting a Maine cabin.
On our guide there are four channels right in a row. Food Network, HGTV, Cooking Channel, DIY.

We probably spend 70% of our non-dvr time in that block of 4 our of 326234 channels. I had a big time crush on the Rehab Addict long ago but I think I'm more into BathCrashers/Windy City Rehab chick now...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I think it's just that there isn't much to discuss about these shows on here-- I didn't think they'd be able to renovate that home, but Chip and Joanna did it!
Or for every cooking competition: I don't believe he didn't use enough salt!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:10 am
I think it's just that there isn't much to discuss about these shows on here-- I didn't think they'd be able to renovate that home, but Chip and Joanna did it!
I'm with you there and it's why I can't stand Chip and Joanna. -- Oh boy, I better take the kids so Jo can work all night to finish staging this house at the last minute.

I also love the budgets.

You bought this place for 150,000
We put 120,000 into it
So you came in under your budget of 280,000 by 20K!
(No mention of the 90,000 of furniture, knicknacks, kitchen appliances, etc)

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I like the ones where she's a stay at home needlepoint blogger and he's a freelance manscaper and their budget is 1.2 million.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:17 am I like the ones where she's a stay at home needlepoint blogger and he's a freelance manscaper and their budget is 1.2 million.
There was one where (if memory serves) they were moving to a nice Mediterranean locale. She had just started a new job in IT and he was managing a doggie day care in San Francisco via skype and the web.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:15 am
I'm with you there and it's why I can't stand Chip and Joanna. -- Oh boy, I better take the kids so Jo can work all night to finish staging this house at the last minute.

I also love the budgets.

We put 120,000 into it
I assumed they don't factor in labor costs. It drives me nuts seeing how they can get a fully renovated kitchen for $10,000.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Hoo boy.

Used to watch Chip and Jo and it just got super boring. There are certain shows my wife and I tend to flip on over breakfast on the weekends, that one was in heavy rotation.

Then there are the Bravo shows we watch after we've had too much wine. Housewives of Orange County, New York and New Jersey (no atlanta, dallas or beverly hills)

THEN there are the shows we watch before we kill the TV (if we're not deciding to read or have relations) and those are pretty limited to Carribbean Life and House Hunters International (though much less on the later of late.)

We watch a lot of prestige TV, so it's nice at other times to have something that we can not really pay attention to and chat or get up and do stuff and wander back in.

She'd probably turn the TV off more, but I have kind of annoying need/habit of just turning a TV on the moment I step into a room. My kids make fun of me at hotels when I do that.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:18 pm
BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:15 am

I also love the budgets.

We put 120,000 into it
I assumed they don't factor in labor costs. It drives me nuts seeing how they can get a fully renovated kitchen for $10,000.
Also my wife has done this for her company in some capacity and it's hilarious to watch with her.

"That table is from Crate and Barrel, 6k."
"Curtains, Pottery Barn, super nice."
"That clock is from West Elm, 900$"

It's like bizzaro Price is Right.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't know this as a fact, but I think the deal with all that stuff they shove in those houses is that it's not included in the pricing (obviously) and you have the OPTION of buying it. Which, yeah, there goes that big nut they "saved" you in your budget. In some of those Waco homes, the stuff they shove in there is more than the cost of the house itself.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:04 am
tennbengal wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:08 am Clears throat. Looks around.

On our guide there are four channels right in a row. Food Network, HGTV, Cooking Channel, DIY.

We probably spend 70% of our non-dvr time in that block of 4 our of 326234 channels. I had a big time crush on the Rehab Addict long ago but I think I'm more into BathCrashers/Windy City Rehab chick now...
Hell no - Nicole for life.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:51 pm
EdRomero wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:33 pm Last night, I was thrilled to hear a recent DMB song (That Girl is You) on a new Simpsons episode. A Venn Diagram showing people that still religiously watch news Simpsons episodes and still get excited about new DMB songs may just have me alone in the middle. This also would have been cool to happen in the mid-nineties, which made me feel old.
I think you might be the only person in either circle, let alone both.
Hi.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If anyone can find a third...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

🌟
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:06 pm
brian wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:03 pm
rass wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:56 pm Half way through Russian Doll and really enjoying it. I had forgotten what Lyonne’s voice sounded like, so that took 1/2 and episode to get used to, but it’s a cool show. Hope it pays off.
Yeah, we watching it all in one sitting last night (it's only about 3.5 hours) and was really, really impressed. Fascinated to see what they do for the next season. I suspect the homeless guy is going to play a role in explaining everything that's going on at some point.
Wow, what the fuck did I just watch? That was absolutely amazing, but I don't know what just happened! So much... so cool. I went to bed at the end of the 7th ep, and that was a mistake. Just disturbing, and I couldn't stop thinking about it all day, and her restart song kept playing in my head as I tried to sleep. So many turns, each episode was so different. And I can't believe Amy Poehler was behind it!
That actress annoys me, but you guys convinced me to watch --real good show.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Russian Doll
[+] spoiler
That last shot(s) into the tunnel was cool as shit. And great song.

So they synced up at the end, right? After the screen unsplit, and the two red heads(?!) passed by, it was Nadia in the pirate shirt and Alan in the karma scarf together. Walking in the opposite direction they had been though.

And yeah the homeless guy. Wearing a wedding dress at the end, huh?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"SNL" simply has to be watched on delay so you can fast forward through the skits that start off badly (because you can just tell when they are going nowhere). And also because once Alec Baldwin comes out as Trump it is time to fast forward.

There's just nothing funny about either guy. (Outside of "30 Rock")
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:50 pm Russian Doll
[+] spoiler

So they synced up at the end, right? After the screen unsplit, and the two red heads(?!) passed by, it was Nadia in the pirate shirt and Alan in the karma scarf together. Walking in the opposite direction they had been though.

[+] spoiler
Not only that, but if you re-watch you'll notice there are at least two other Nadias in the parade.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Definitely noticed that.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:22 am
rass wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:50 pm Russian Doll
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
Not only that, but if you re-watch you'll notice there are at least two other Nadias in the parade.
Oh, shit! I need to rewatch that scene. One thing I couldn't stop thinking about, Nadia reminded me of a female Sam Kinneson. Just the way she walks and carries herself. And her reset song is still in my head. What is it?
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Harry Nilsson

I read an interview where she said she gets (got) typecast as Andrew Dice Clay-ish, and she did make a joke about him in the show.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:16 pm Harry Nilsson

I read an interview where she said she gets (got) typecast as Andrew Dice Clay-ish, and she did make a joke about him in the show.
Yeah, I got a huge kick out of the Dice joke because of the Kinneson thought. I feel like I need to rewatch the entire show, knowing how it ends. I think a lot more will make sense. I'm sure there is an analogy to the video game, too.
[+] spoiler
A thought I had in the last scene; I never saw Nadia and Alan as potential dating partners, but in the end, I actually thought they could be good for each other.

Maybe Season 2 could be a perfectly normal show with them dating.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

On this day 27 years ago
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

SHAVE THOSE SIDEBURNS MATTINGLY

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:56 am
BSF21 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:12 am Finished the first season of Barry last week. I can see why you guys were all excited about it. Pretty brilliant.
Same. Just finished it yesterday. Superb show.
I watched three episodes while I was down sick. I’m not hooked at all. Have I just not given it enough time?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:00 pm
BSF21 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:12 am Finished the first season of Barry last week. I can see why you guys were all excited about it. Pretty brilliant.
I watched three episodes while I was down sick. I’m not hooked at all. Have I just not given it enough time?
I'm not much for "giving shows time," but while I loved the first couple of episodes, by the 3rd and 4th I was not that excited by "Barry." But it really picks up nicely. I'd say give it a couple more episodes...
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:00 pm
The last three episodes are pretty phenomenal.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:08 pm Ken Tremendous got PAID.
Good thing happening for a good person. His wife is also the show-runner for Single Parents, which has had a pretty solid first year on ABC (at least, Jen and I are enjoying watching it...).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If his staff is getting paid too, cool. If not ... kinda gross?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Agreed though I've never heard of any discontent amongst the writers and other employees on his shows unlike what we've heard with Ryan Murphy, Matthew Weiner, Shonda Rimes and other contemporaries.