Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by BSF21 »

Thanks to Rush I just finished this season of Barry. I really can't say how much I'm enjoying it. It's a brilliantly written and acted show. Had an off episode with the one in the middle with the TKD instructor, which was strange and served little purpose, but other than that, it's a 9.5/10.

Hader is great, but I noticed several of the episodes I really enjoyed had Emily Heller heavily involved. She's a hilarious comic and it's nice to see her having success. Sarah Goldberg in the penultimate ep of S3 was perfect. Steven Root...wow. I know he's more prevalent than Milton from Office Space, but Fuches is such a great character. I really can't wait to see where it goes from here.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:39 am Thanks to Rush I just finished this season of Barry. I really can't say how much I'm enjoying it. It's a brilliantly written and acted show. Had an off episode with the one in the middle with the TKD instructor, which was strange and served little purpose, but other than that, it's a 9.5/10.

Hader is great, but I noticed several of the episodes I really enjoyed had Emily Heller heavily involved. She's a hilarious comic and it's nice to see her having success. Sarah Goldberg in the penultimate ep of S3 was perfect. Steven Root...wow. I know he's more prevalent than Milton from Office Space, but Fuches is such a great character. I really can't wait to see where it goes from here.
[+] spoiler
Well, except for killing the cop who was trying to get Fuches to fuck over Barry. And also, it was by far the best episode of the season!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Giff wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:57 am
BSF21 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:39 am Thanks to Rush I just finished this season of Barry. I really can't say how much I'm enjoying it. It's a brilliantly written and acted show. Had an off episode with the one in the middle with the TKD instructor, which was strange and served little purpose, but other than that, it's a 9.5/10.

[+] spoiler
Well, except for killing the cop who was trying to get Fuches to fuck over Barry. And also, it was by far the best episode of the season!
[+] spoiler
I suppose. I just didn't care for the way they did it. Kinda ruined the world they had created for me, but YMMV.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

[+] spoiler
I think the other thing people miss about that episode is how much of a test it was of Barry's resolve to not kill anyone any more, taken to Keystone Cops extremes since the show is technically a comedy. It would have been really easy for him to say fuck it and just shoot the guy, but he didn't and one of the consequences of that was having the kid end up coming home and having to deal with that. It's very much a show about the choices we make and the reasons we make them. And not just Barry frankly, but even a more secondary character like Noho Hank.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:59 pm
[+] spoiler
I think the other thing people miss about that episode is how much of a test it was of Barry's resolve to not kill anyone any more, taken to Keystone Cops extremes since the show is technically a comedy. It would have been really easy for him to say fuck it and just shoot the guy, but he didn't and one of the consequences of that was having the kid end up coming home and having to deal with that. It's very much a show about the choices we make and the reasons we make them. And not just Barry frankly, but even a more secondary character like Noho Hank.
[+] spoiler
I get that aspect. It was the weird superhuman shit that threw me out of it. It didn't jive or make sense with anything they had done up to that point, or anything they did after it.

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Hey, Press Your Luck is back! And because of that, I learned that Peter Tomarken died 13 years ago. WTF? I don’t remember a Swamp thread on that.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Also, he died in a plane crash, which means my next 2 hours of Internet browsing are set.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rex wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:02 pm Also, he died in a plane crash, which means my next 2 hours of Internet browsing are set.
Per Wiki:
The Tomarkens were volunteers with Angel Flight West, a nonprofit organization that provides free air transportation to needy medical patients. They were en route to San Diego to pick up a cancer patient who needed transportation to UCLA Medical Center for treatment when their airplane crashed. The charity and the Tomarken children have since established a "Tomarken Heroes" fund in memory of the couple.
Damn.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Stumbled onto Joel McHale hosting a revamped "Card Sharks" on ABC last night.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

brian wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:43 am
Jerloma wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:20 am If we ever had an accident* like that, I'm absolutely convinced that we'd handle it as irresponsibly and unethically as the Soviets did.

*I'm only two episodes in and nobody seems to have any idea how a nuclear core would explode instead of melting down, so I suppose there's always a chance it wasn't an accident.
I don't think this is a spoiler, but it was an accident. If at the time there had been any chance it was sabotaged, the Americans would have been blamed. It's honestly kind of amazing that the Soviets didn't go that route anyway. If it had happened in the 60s or 70s, it's entirely possible that's how it would have gone down until the truth eventually came out.

That said, they do eventually explain how it happened in the show.
Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:56 am Finally got caught up on the first three episodes of Veep and that show is definitely going out on top. I admit thinking it was overrated at times before (mostly w/r/t awards, etc.) but there's no questioning how hilarious this final run for Selina is going. The jokes fly so fast and furious sometimes.

(And I admit being amused at how it's the only show on television to joke about how Nevada is always mispronounced by politicians and how that sticks in the craw of Nevadans. I mean you'd think considering it's the third state to vote after Iowa and New Hampshire that most of these people would learn how to pronounce it correctly.)
Just finished the last season and while the Jonah Ryan stuff was great, it petered out towards the end.

It would have been impossible for the show to be anything less than good, but the finale was sort of "meh."
[+] spoiler
Guess they thought it needed a coda.But it really lost any subtlety about how awful a person Selina was.I found the ending to be just unpleasant.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Saw that he first three episodes of the last season on my recent flight, and was kicking myself for not watching before. So damn funny. Haven't watched series finale yet. They really pack the jokes in.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Perpetual Grace Ltd. on Epix is really good. Third episode airs tonight but it’s available on demand and they’ll probably do a marathon before the season ends.

Great cast (Ben Kingsley, Jimmi Simpson, Terry O’Quinn), great location (rural New Mexico), great story. Kind of in a Lodge 49 vibe if you liked that show.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:35 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:09 pm
brian wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:37 pm Every HBO show ever, ranked.

Long, but well done and worth your time. I have some minor quibbles, but largely think the rankings are right on.
Good article, and a reminder that I should watch The Leftovers. I really enjoy Crashing, which this article ranked as one of the worst shows. The show isn't great, but I love the NYC comedy scene, and seeing so many world class comics playing themselves in the show appeals to me. I briefly listened to Pete Holmes' podcast when he started, and heard him on several other pods, so I don't have a hard time imagining the cartoonishly naive character he plays probably isn't much of an exaggeration of who he was when he started out. I love that he is willing to go so deep and making himself into a cringe-inducing naive clown for laughs.
One of my quibbles is I would probably have The Leftovers at #3, behind The Sopranos and The Wire, but that's just me and I don't think it was dismissive at all of The Leftovers' greatness.
Syb - I totally agree about Crashing! I think there's an age group of mostly dudes that grew up watching Comedy Central when it was 99 percent stand-ups and listened to Cosby and Carlin on vinyl that is pretty deep into this scene. Not enough to carry an HBO show, but we are out there...
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:52 pm

Long, but well done and worth your time. I have some minor quibbles, but largely think the rankings are right on.
Good article, and a reminder that I should watch The Leftovers. I really enjoy Crashing, which this article ranked as one of the worst shows. The show isn't great, but I love the NYC comedy scene, and seeing so many world class comics playing themselves in the show appeals to me. I briefly listened to Pete Holmes' podcast when he started, and heard him on several other pods, so I don't have a hard time imagining the cartoonishly naive character he plays probably isn't much of an exaggeration of who he was when he started out. I love that he is willing to go so deep and making himself into a cringe-inducing naive clown for laughs.
One of my quibbles is I would probably have The Leftovers at #3, behind The Sopranos and The Wire, but that's just me and I don't think it was dismissive at all of The Leftovers' greatness.
Syb - I totally agree about Crashing! I think there's an age group of mostly dudes that grew up watching Comedy Central when it was 99 percent stand-ups and listened to Cosby and Carlin on vinyl that is pretty deep into this scene. Not enough to carry an HBO show, but we are out there...
Vinyl? Never owned a record as a toddler, never became a hipster.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I got as far as "Summer HEights High" near the bottom and couldn't read any further.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:12 pm

I didn't own it, my dad did.

I started taping my mom's Willie Nelson, Fleetwood Mac and Bruce Springsteen albums on a recorder in the late 70s. I'd put the speakers on both sides of the cassette recorder and tape away. That's also how I'd tape The Electrifying Mojo so I could hear mixes of Kraftwerk and Africa Bambaata and the like.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:31 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:12 pm

I didn't own it, my dad did.

I started taping my mom's Willie Nelson, Fleetwood Mac and Bruce Springsteen albums on a recorder in the late 70s. I'd put the speakers on both sides of the cassette recorder and tape away. That's also how I'd tape The Electrifying Mojo so I could hear mixes of Kraftwerk and Africa Bambaata and the like.
Funny, I bought George Carlin's AM/FM album on vinyl when I was in 7th grade. I wore that sucker out and memorized a good portion of it. Vinyl was not hipster then, it was the standard! I also had a cheap cassette recorder and would record radio songs I liked as they played on my parents' big-ass hi-fi console. I guess this all goes in the Things that make you realize you are old thread.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:43 pm Funny, I bought George Carlin's AM/FM album on vinyl when I was in 7th grade. I wore that sucker out and memorized a good portion of it. Vinyl was not hipster then, it was the standard! I also had a cheap cassette recorder and would record radio songs I liked as they played on my parents' big-ass hi-fi console. I guess this all goes in the Things that make you realize you are old thread.
I bought "Occupation Foole" when I was 12 or so. On vinyl of course, because that was all there was.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:52 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:43 pm Funny, I bought George Carlin's AM/FM album on vinyl when I was in 7th grade. I wore that sucker out and memorized a good portion of it. Vinyl was not hipster then, it was the standard! I also had a cheap cassette recorder and would record radio songs I liked as they played on my parents' big-ass hi-fi console. I guess this all goes in the Things that make you realize you are old thread.
I bought "Occupation Foole" when I was 12 or so. On vinyl of course, because that was all there was.
I had Steve Martin's Wild and Crazy Guy, with King Tut on it, and a few Monty Python records.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I have cynically laughed along with every Meryl Streep is an acting goddess joke, but she absolutely kicked ass in the first episode of the second season of Big Little Lies.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:08 pm I have cynically laughed along with every Meryl Streep is an acting goddess joke, but she absolutely kicked ass in the first episode of the second season of Big Little Lies.
It's really unnerving how much her character reminds me of my own mother. Very unnerving.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

1) Holy SHITBALLS Press Your Luck is back!?!?! I've been waiting for that reboot since forever. Next up, plz reboot gods: Classic Concentration.

2) Big Little Lies is nuts. Everyone is fucking whacked. And I'm just now watching episode 7 of season 1, but if either Ziggy or Chloe dies, I'mma be heated. They need their own spin off.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Rex wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:01 pm Hey, Press Your Luck is back! And because of that, I learned that Peter Tomarken died 13 years ago. WTF? I don’t remember a Swamp thread on that.
2006? That seems like my heyday of Swamp death announcements. Yet I don't remember that either.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I swear to Christ someone on here was gushing about Fleabag, but when I search it nothing pops up. What a great, dark, gut punch of a show.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

We just finished episode 5 (the Tae Kwon Do one) and I thought that while it was entertaining, it was kind of irritating about 20 minutes in.
[+] spoiler
Considering the pains they seem to take to keep the show somewhat grounded in reality, it was a bit much.
Otherwise, loving the season.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Barry ended so well. 2nd season better than the first.
[+] spoiler
It'll be interesting to see where they begin the next season. It seems clear that Barry's dreams of acting (and all plots with Sally) will have to be finished. And Sarah Goldberg's rant at Barry by the pool was Emmy calibre. We reran the scene just to watch her lose her mind, get it back and then lose it again.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Finally watched the second season of Brockmire. So dark, such cartoonishly exaggerated characters, a plot line fit for a 90s Adam Sandler movie, and I fucking loved it.
-Pruitt
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

mister d wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:02 am
The Sybian wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:12 pmWatched 5 out of 10 episodes so far. Great show, but not remotely what i was expecting. I thought it would be a slightly dark buddy comedy. I mean, Will Ferrell produced this show! It's really good, but much more a drama than a comedy. Actually, abut the only comedic scene is in the trailer, and the show starts with that scene, and that's about it for the comedy. A few dark chuckles, I guess, but more from uncomfortable social interactions than actual comedy. The writing and acting are great, and the show just moves so fast and seamlessly. It's really hard to stop watching.
Interesting. I'd absolutely consider it a comedy and its gotten a few legit LOLs which possibly says something about me?
Just finished the season; it was such a good show. I really enjoyed Christina Applegate. Not the same way I "enjoyed" her watching Married with Children. Not sure how they'll pull off a good season 2.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A show called "The Seinfeld Chronicles" debuted 30 years ago today. It would go on to become the most profitable show in the history of television (an estimated $7 billion and still growing -- about $2 billion from its original run and about $5 billion in syndication). Jerry Seinfeld is expected to become a billionaire by 2021.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

[+] spoiler
I'm super pumped about Stranger Danger coming back! Watched the first show yesterday before we hit up dinner and fireworks and it was pretty fantastic. Bringing in the whole "mall craze" sure brought back a flood of memories.

I'm up for whatever this season, but I have to say, they are creeping into dodgy territory in terms "where is this all going." I have to think they have plotted this thing out, and I'd be up for a longer than 5 season run (against my "rules") but as this season rolls on, it's going to need to start getting more specific about what the fuck is actually going on.
Stranger Days rambling ^^^
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:15 am A show called "The Seinfeld Chronicles" debuted 30 years ago today. It would go on to become the most profitable show in the history of television (an estimated $7 billion and still growing -- about $2 billion from its original run and about $5 billion in syndication). Jerry Seinfeld is expected to become a billionaire by 2021.
I still remember watching the pilot and thinking it was a horrible show. Then several months later, my friends convincing me to give it another chance, and yada yada yada...
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I think the first couple of seasons aren’t great. My favorite is probably the last one.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It's impressive watching a take go from lukewarm to ice cold in two sentences.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Last season, not episode. The last episode blew, but that show ended on a peak, IMO.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:25 am Last season, not episode. The last episode blew, but that show ended on a peak, IMO.
I agree. That last season was really good. First season stunk but it was only six eps and they were finding their way.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The last season had Kruger and those episodes ruled.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:54 pm The last season had Kruger and those episodes ruled.
K-UGER! K-UGER!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:42 pm
brian wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:15 am A show called "The Seinfeld Chronicles" debuted 30 years ago today. It would go on to become the most profitable show in the history of television (an estimated $7 billion and still growing -- about $2 billion from its original run and about $5 billion in syndication). Jerry Seinfeld is expected to become a billionaire by 2021.
I still remember watching the pilot and thinking it was a horrible show. Then several months later, my friends convincing me to give it another chance, and yada yada yada...
That first season is unwatchable. To be frank, I'm not sure there's that much quality in the first three seasons. I mean, Wayne Knight was a quality addition later into the third season, but IMO it's not until they come back from California is when the show beings to take off, and that's where the real quality additions to the cast begin to take place. It was also huge when they finally wrote about Elaine in the work environment, too. Mr. Pitt and then obviously J Peterman.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:57 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:42 pm
That first season is unwatchable. To be frank, I'm not sure there's that much quality in the first three seasons. I mean, Wayne Knight was a quality addition later into the third season, but IMO it's not until they come back from California is when the show beings to take off, and that's where the real quality additions to the cast begin to take place. It was also huge when they finally wrote about Elaine in the work environment, too. Mr. Pitt and then obviously J Peterman.
You're welcome to your opinion, but Season 3 was great. I'll give you the first half of Season 2 not being that great, but I think the show really started to find its stride with episodes like "The Revenge" and "The Heart Attack" and built that into Season 3.

Season 3, my god. There's some legendary episodes in there. "The Pen", "The Parking Garage", "The Boyfriend" (the "Keith Hernandez episode"), "The Dog", "The Letter" (the episode with Catherine Keener as the pretentious artist). The latter especially was Julia Louis Dreyfus at her most genius. I think people realize now, especially given how awesome she has been in everything since that she was the straw that stirred the drink in that show. The list of the greatest comedic actresses of all time includes her and Lucille Ball at the top and then you're just arguing about whoever is third.