Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:52 am
Reaper wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:47 am
Pruitt wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:36 am
Reaper wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:43 pm
Ryan wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:27 am ON THE RECORD TAKE: Aaron Rodgers should be the permanent host of Jeopardy
I'm joining the LeVar Burton groundswell
Has he even hosted it yet?

Nothing wrong with Ken Jennings
I don't think Jennings wantsthe permanent gig. Maybe it's me echo chambering, but I've read many an article laying out his qualifications to be host and I can't find fault in any of them. Maybe it's nostalgia from growing up with Reading Rainbow. Maybe I think a black man other than Steve Harvey should host a game show. Whatever it is, I'm on that train.
May i introduce you to Catch 21?

(But 3 wouldn't be a bad thing, either.)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Anyone else sticking with Snowfall? I'm surprised a show with so little buzz is still around and getting new seasons. It's weird, I'm typically never all that excited to watch it and then happy when I'm done with one that I have some more on the DVR.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:44 pm
That day should be a national holiday.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:41 pm
That day should be a national holiday.
I take off that whole week for Restless Leg Syndrome Education and Awareness Week.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Can't wait! Also a nice reminder that I have Apple TV, haven't looked at it since I finished Ted Lasso. Anything new worth watching on the platform?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:25 pm
Can't wait! Also a nice reminder that I have Apple TV, haven't looked at it since I finished Ted Lasso. Anything new worth watching on the platform?
Greyhound was good, so was Palmer.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:31 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:25 pm
Greyhound was good, so was Palmer.
Greyhound is the only other thing I watched. I feel like I’m missing something with Apple TV. There is almost no content. It seems like a pay platform to access content you need to pay per view, but it’s free on other platforms I’m paying for. I do want to watch the Aniston/Witherspoon show, too.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Mythic Quest is supposed to be pretty funny. Looking forward to checking that out eventually.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:46 am Mythic Quest is supposed to be pretty funny. Looking forward to checking that out eventually.
I'm not a Sunny mark, and I liked it a great deal. (If that makes sense.)

Pretty goofy, but in a very intentional way.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Also, the OG on that platform is The Morning Show with Steve Carrell, Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Anniston. Really well done.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Big Shot on Disney+ is just Disney Garbage....but I have gotten a chuckle out of John Stamos. He is trying to be John Callipari...and watching him jog shows why he was better as a Beach Boy than an athlete.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:13 pm Invincible (Amazon Prime) is interesting. I don't know anything about the comics it is based upon but very strong voice talent. First 3 went up today and the story is different. I am not a fan of the animation style but probably will hang with it.

Some of the voices-
J.K. Simmons, Steven Yeun, Walton Goggins, Gillian Jacobs, Jason Mantzoukas, Zach Quinto, Mark Hamil, Seth Rogen, Nicole Byer, Clancy Brown (the crab from Spongebob), Maherhala Ali, Jon Hamm
Thought that was a very strong first season. Really liked how they basically made a promise in the final episode to follow up on every random sting left dangling throughout the season. Good stuff.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:42 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:13 pm Invincible (Amazon Prime) is interesting. I don't know anything about the comics it is based upon but very strong voice talent. First 3 went up today and the story is different. I am not a fan of the animation style but probably will hang with it.

Some of the voices-
J.K. Simmons, Steven Yeun, Walton Goggins, Gillian Jacobs, Jason Mantzoukas, Zach Quinto, Mark Hamil, Seth Rogen, Nicole Byer, Clancy Brown (the crab from Spongebob), Maherhala Ali, Jon Hamm
Thought that was a very strong first season. Really liked how they basically made a promise in the final episode to follow up on every random sting left dangling throughout the season. Good stuff.
That last episode was wild
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:34 pm
brian wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:15 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:39 am I can't make the leap to Jim Halpert as an action guy.
Not sure I am buying Michael B. Jordan as John Clark in Without Remorse coming later this month.
Willem Dafoe is probably still ripped. I understand wanting to make the Clancy-verse more diverse, but I think Dafoe still could have pulled it off.
I think he had some scenes in the lighthouse with his shirt off. Not ripped per se but still sinewy for and older dude. Not out of shape at all.
Best item from the Amazon X-ray trivia during Without Remorse
The plot has nothing to do with the novel, with the exception that John Clark was a Navy Seal.
So if they named the character John Morris and called it Remorseless, they could have save a ton of money with the Clancy Estate. This movie is closer to the Charlie Sheen Navy Seals than anything in the Clancy-verse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:15 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:39 am I can't make the leap to Jim Halpert as an action guy.
Not sure I am buying Michael B. Jordan as John Clark in Without Remorse coming later this month.
I liked it but I have read no Clancy novels. Good action and decent plot twists. Definitely setting up a sequel at the minimum.

I know the Clancy line(him and the ghostwriters) is prolific but just not my bag. But I’m a John le carre Stan so my spy craft needs to be better maybe.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hey, Bengal. Pretty intense, believable family drama in the last couple episodes of Breeders, eh? I really like this show.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:51 pm Hey, Bengal. Pretty intense, believable family drama in the last couple episodes of Breeders, eh? I really like this show.
I am shook. Never seen anything quite like this portrayed quite this realistically...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

First season got pretty raw too, but sounds like this was next level. Looking forward to catching up. We're watching Invincible now, which is very good at times but disappointing at others. Great voice cast tho.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I've been avoiding Breeders for as long as possible (my wife is a huge Martin Freeman fan, because she tends to view me as insufferable at times, so she fell hard for him in his role in Sherlock)...
Noli Timere Messorem
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

A Handmaid's Tale is becoming unwatchable. Among my complaints are the level being asked to suspend disbelief. June has become a selfish loathsome manipulator. The theme has moved from the original anti-fascist/anti-patriarchy to simply everyone's an asshole. Fair enough, but it's gone from a thoughtful (albeit bleak) show about government and social mores to a subpar version of The Fugitive.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:12 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:51 pm Hey, Bengal. Pretty intense, believable family drama in the last couple episodes of Breeders, eh? I really like this show.
I am shook. Never seen anything quite like this portrayed quite this realistically...
IMHO, the biggest difference between year one and year 2 of Breeders is that they hired older kid actors to play their two children (as they've aged). I think the two new kids are quite good actors.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:39 pm I've been avoiding Breeders for as long as possible (my wife is a huge Martin Freeman fan, because she tends to view me as insufferable at times, so she fell hard for him in his role in Sherlock)...
Martin Freeman is super, playing a sometimes unlikeable, but very believable guy that you root for. As is the woman who plays his wife. As are the old folks who play his parents (his father is great as the deadpan comic relief.)
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:20 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:39 pm I've been avoiding Breeders for as long as possible (my wife is a huge Martin Freeman fan, because she tends to view me as insufferable at times, so she fell hard for him in his role in Sherlock)...
Martin Freeman is super, playing a sometimes unlikeable, but very believable guy that you root for. As is the woman who plays his wife. As are the old folks who play his parents (his father is great as the deadpan comic relief.)
He was exceptional in his season of Fargo.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Rams Fanny wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:47 pm A Handmaid's Tale is becoming unwatchable. Among my complaints are the level being asked to suspend disbelief. June has become a selfish loathsome manipulator. The theme has moved from the original anti-fascist/anti-patriarchy to simply everyone's an asshole. Fair enough, but it's gone from a thoughtful (albeit bleak) show about government and social mores to a subpar version of The Fugitive.
I couldn't get into S2 and dropped it. I think it had a LOT to do with state of the country... Maybe I'll try again down the road.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:27 pm
Rams Fanny wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:47 pm A Handmaid's Tale is becoming unwatchable. Among my complaints are the level being asked to suspend disbelief. June has become a selfish loathsome manipulator. The theme has moved from the original anti-fascist/anti-patriarchy to simply everyone's an asshole. Fair enough, but it's gone from a thoughtful (albeit bleak) show about government and social mores to a subpar version of The Fugitive.
I couldn't get into S2 and dropped it. I think it had a LOT to do with state of the country... Maybe I'll try again down the road.
Same. I’ll re-visit it one day though I’ve also heard from others the quality is going downhill in S4.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:02 pm
Same. I’ll re-visit it one day though I’ve also heard from others the quality is going downhill in S4.
WE lack one episode to finish season 3. It's definitely a lot different than the first 10-12 episodes were.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:53 pm
brian wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:02 pm
WE lack one episode to finish season 3. It's definitely a lot different than the first 10-12 episodes were.
Wife fell asleep with 20 minutes to go and I don’t know if it’s awesome or terrible.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That Damn Michael Che is alright.

We watched 4 episodes last night and it's incredibly uneven. A couple fantastic and very funny bits and some really dull wraparound pieces where Che is trying to make bigger points. The one about Cops was excellent, the one about going to the hospital is funny but the one about how Black people view those who succeed in show business is really, really poor.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

This Game of Thrones show is decent, why wasn’t anyone talking about it?

Actually, I was halfway through the third season years ago and never got back to it. Difficult at first, as I couldn’t remember shit, and too many characters. Saw the Red Wedding last night, guess that would have been shocking if it wasnt spoiled plus 10 years of anticipation. Just saw Arya Stark go on a killing spree and learn to love killing. That was pretty cool.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Fantastic!

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Wow! I love those guys. Breaking into the Danny Rojas song was the best. Interviewer must have been so confused.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Finally got around to Derry Girls. Finished season one and starting season 2. Hilarious.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:06 pm Finally got around to Derry Girls. Finished season one and starting season 2. Hilarious.
So damn funny. The grandpa slays me.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Anyone else in on 'Mare of Easttown'?

Kate Winslet is kinda too good of an actor to be in something like this, and Jean Smart is so good as her mom. And I have a friend from back east who has the exact same accent as Det Zabel.
[+] spoiler
Poor Det Zabel. Will be interesting to see how it moves forward now that one part of the story is seemingly resolved.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Been meaning to start it, so I'm not clicking on your spoiler. The SNL bit on the Musk episode about it was hilarious.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:15 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:06 pm Finally got around to Derry Girls. Finished season one and starting season 2. Hilarious.
So damn funny. The grandpa slays me.
Holy fuck, as I’m watching Game of Thrones, I just realized the same actor plays the old knight advising the Mother of Dragons!
-Pruitt
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

It’s good craic.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pretty much every other episode, Derry Girls plays a snippet of this great old song. (The band is from Derry).