Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Pruitt »

A tremendous show!

And I hate all of them so much.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Cobra Kai is nominated for Best Comedy Series
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Comedy? Ouch.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Best unintentional comedy series.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:50 pm I can’t believe no one ever told me about Patriot. What an awesome show. I love weird TV.
Started watching just based on this post, and holy fuck, how have I never heard of this show. It's incredible! I have two episodes left. I didn't plan on watching both seasons without break, but it's too good to stop!

It's hard to adequately describe the show. Main character is a guy you presume is in the CIA, but they don't really specify. He has to assume a fake identity to carry out a mission, and they sprinkle in sporadic absurd moments that just throw you. He is clearly suffering extreme PTSD, depression and disassociation, which is very strange to portray in a spy thriller. The second the plot feels like a typical spy thriller, you burst out laughing at something. Lot's of really subtle absurd moments, too. The way they shoot some scenes is just pure brilliance, and there are some incredible characters. This is such a phenomenal show, it's shot more like a movie and feels like an 18 hour movie more than a show.

And the rock, paper, scissors scenes were tremendous.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:43 pm
brian wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:50 pm I can’t believe no one ever told me about Patriot. What an awesome show. I love weird TV.
Those were my favorite parts. Just incredible.

I haven't gotten to the 2nd season yet (there's too much TV!).

I watched the first 3 episodes of 'Lupin' on the plan a couple of weeks ago, and really enjoyed it. I watch the first 3 episodes of the new season of 'Bosch' as I waited out a 5 hour delay in the airport, and thought it was pretty sub-par. Good thing they are ended the show after this season.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:43 pm
Started watching just based on this post, and holy fuck, how have I never heard of this show. It's incredible! I have two episodes left. I didn't plan on watching both seasons without break, but it's too good to stop!

It's hard to adequately describe the show. Main character is a guy you presume is in the CIA, but they don't really specify. He has to assume a fake identity to carry out a mission, and they sprinkle in sporadic absurd moments that just throw you. He is clearly suffering extreme PTSD, depression and disassociation, which is very strange to portray in a spy thriller. The second the plot feels like a typical spy thriller, you burst out laughing at something. Lot's of really subtle absurd moments, too. The way they shoot some scenes is just pure brilliance, and there are some incredible characters. This is such a phenomenal show, it's shot more like a movie and feels like an 18 hour movie more than a show.

The guy who did this show also did a great Epix show called Perpetual Grace, Ltd. Not available on streaming yet that I’m aware but it’s similar in some respects. An incredible performance from Ben Kingsley in that one.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Finished Patriot last night. God damn, that final scene was pretty haunting.

Really bummed they cancelled the show, but in a weird way, I'm relieved they didn't force John to keep enduring all the shit he had to go through, and I can tell myself Tom let him retire.
[+] spoiler
The only thing that bothers me is not knowing who was interviewing Tom and what kind of prosecution he was facing, assuming that was a criminal deposition.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

They did leave that hanging. Guess it was just a device to move the plot along.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:34 am They did leave that hanging. Guess it was just a device to move the plot along.
There was supposed to be a third season, Amazon pulled the plug.
[+] spoiler
Leslie winning the Dennon contract and saying something like "we'll start next month in Iran" opened it up. John told Leslie it was absolutely vital to his mission that McMillan win the Dennon contract, so I'm assuming John Lakeman joins the travel team in Iran. I love the idea of absolutely everyone knowing the covert agent posing as an employee is really an agent, then helping him.
This all reminded me of a close friend who suddenly and prematurely retired from the Army to take a job as a consultant at a lightbulb company, which required her to learn Arabic in three months and go away for extended training trips prior to working in, ummm, lightbulbs.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:06 pm
brian wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:34 am They did leave that hanging. Guess it was just a device to move the plot along.
[+] spoiler
Leslie winning the Dennon contract and saying something like "we'll start next month in Iran" opened it up. John told Leslie it was absolutely vital to his mission that McMillan win the Dennon contract, so I'm assuming John Lakeman joins the travel team in Iran. I love the idea of absolutely everyone knowing the covert agent posing as an employee is really an agent, then helping him.
[+] spoiler
That episode where the McMillan team and basically everyone else John knows are all partying before Cool Rick's wedding might be one of my favorite episodes of television ever.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:12 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:06 pm
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
That episode where the McMillan team and basically everyone else John knows are all partying before Cool Rick's wedding might be one of my favorite episodes of television ever.
[+] spoiler
Yeah, completely agree. Having Birdbath and Ichabod joining was awesome. For a minute, I thought Ichabod was going to hookup with John's mother. They had a moment there. The scene that blew me away was towards the end of Season 1, when John was laying down in the pipe ring and people came up to him one at a time with bad news or going off on him, the whole time you see a person out of focus (Dennis?) slowly walking up as the final person to drop shit on him. I also love the Iranian version of the Tavners, how the father and brother looked like Tom and Cool Rick, and of course the scenes where Rick becomes friends with his counterpart. Just so many terrific, bizarre scenes.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

duff wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:13 am
Ryan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:30 am Loki question:
[+] spoiler
I don't know the comics for shit but from playing the Lego Marvel games, Kang the Conquerer is like a big time travel guy right? Trying to figure out who's pulling the TVA strings after yesterday and I think he's been mentioned as a possible Thanos replacement for tying the next few phases together.
[+] spoiler
Kang is going to be the big bad in Ant Man & The Wasp: Quantumania. Not sure he is going to be the big bad in Loki, but he is connected to the judge (bf/gf relationship). My guess is one of the other variants will be the bad guy, but hard to say.
[+] spoiler
Wow that actor is awesome

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

RE: Loki finale - Yeah, that was pretty great.
[+] spoiler
Glad it's getting a season 2.

I assumed he was Kang just because of the "conquerer" line (my actual comic book knowledge is not that deep so the other apparent hints passed me by) but didn't realize until after watching that the actor has been announced as playing him in the upcoming Antman movie.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Thanks for sharing that, turd.

(I often read stuff from Uproxx and wonder if they are required, editorially, to include a certain number of typos. Suedekis at one point, multiple instances of leaving out words in sentences. It's fucking weird.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:46 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:46 pm This thread reads like an episode of the Kominsky Method.
This needed at least some love, or the Swamp has a show it needs to catch up on.
So, I’m through season one, and half of season two. Enjoying it!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:57 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:46 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:46 pm This thread reads like an episode of the Kominsky Method.
This needed at least some love, or the Swamp has a show it needs to catch up on.
So, I’m through season one, and half of season two. Enjoying it!
Nice!
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:16 am RE: Loki finale - Yeah, that was pretty great.
[+] spoiler

I assumed he was Kang just because of the "conquerer" line (my actual comic book knowledge is not that deep so the other apparent hints passed me by) but didn't realize until after watching that the actor has been announced as playing him in the upcoming Antman movie.
Love the final. Loved the whole series. Massive palate Marvel gets to draw on now. Fascinating to me watching Feige continue to pull this off.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:17 pm
rass wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:16 am RE: Loki finale - Yeah, that was pretty great.
[+] spoiler

Love the final. Loved the whole series. Massive palate Marvel gets to draw on now. Fascinating to me watching Feige continue to pull this off.
I like dit but didn't fall in love with it.
[+] spoiler
Majors was awesome, of course.
However, I think my poor little pea brain just has two much shit going on inside it right now to keep up with everything. Sure this was kind of straightforward, but I gotta say I think I preferred it when my marvel was on a big screen three times a year and not constant.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Taiki Watiti's next show...

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That looks outstanding.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I need to learn more about it!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched the first episode of 'McCartney 3,2,1' last night (Paul McCartney talking music and life with producer Rick Rubin) as a palatte cleanser after watching 'Handmaid's Tale'.

It was good, and interesting, but my god....there wasn't a PA brave enough to tell Sir Paul that he shouldn't be chewing gum during a filmed interview? Very distracting!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Is this Wonder Years remake also set in 1968, or does it stay true to the original and depict events that only happened 20 years earlier? Does that freak anyone else out?

*Kevin and Paul watch Tom Brady win Super Bowl*
*Winnie’s bro dies in Afghanistan*
*Kevin awkwardly kisses Winnie*
*The Strokes’ “Hard to Explain” plays in the background*
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Lady and The Dale is a 4 part documentary series on HBO, and it is bizarre and very well done. 2 Episodes down, 2 to go.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rex wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:26 pm Is this Wonder Years remake also set in 1968, or does it stay true to the original and depict events that only happened 20 years earlier? Does that freak anyone else out?

Set in the 80s
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:32 am
Rex wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:26 pm Is this Wonder Years remake also set in 1968, or does it stay true to the original and depict events that only happened 20 years earlier? Does that freak anyone else out?

Set in the 80s
The Wonder Years remake at ABC. The network's remake of its own classic comedy this time focuses on a Black family in late 1960s Alabama, with Don Cheadle narrating the coming-of-age story, and Elisha “EJ” Williams and Dulé Hill as the son and father, Dean and Bill Williams, at the center of the show.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Kate Winslet is good at acting.

I spent the majority of the show somehow convinced Detective Zabel was Mikey Day from SNL and was almost shocked when I finally got around to googling him and realized it was that guy from the X-Men movies.
[+] spoiler
RIP Zabel - though other than the initial scene when he drunkenly sort of hit on her I wasn't a big fan of the Mare/Zabel possibly romantic relationship part of the show
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Thoroughly enjoyed Clarkson's Farm on Amazon Prime.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:02 am Kate Winslet is good at acting.

I spent the majority of the show somehow convinced Detective Zabel was Mikey Day from SNL and was almost shocked when I finally got around to googling him and realized it was that guy from the X-Men movies.
[+] spoiler
RIP Zabel - though other than the initial scene when he drunkenly sort of hit on her I wasn't a big fan of the Mare/Zabel possibly romantic relationship part of the show
[+] spoiler
Very much agree on that relationship... Didn't hurt the show for me, as I think I know what they were going for there, but it felt a little forced or off.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Giff wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:25 am That looks outstanding.
Damn it. That might be the show that gets me back onto that platform.

Until that director proves otherwise, I'm watching everything he puts his name on.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We are four episodes into Mare and holy shit!
[+] spoiler
Real people actually have those accents?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We finished the recent season of Handmaid's Tale last night...
[+] spoiler
While I've been waiting for a while for June to have some measure of revenge, that wasn't exactly what I envisioned.

Will be interested to see what direction they go next.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Giff wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:16 pm We are four episodes into Mare and holy shit!
[+] spoiler
Real people actually have those accents?
Oh, absolutely. There's a variation that runs from Baltimore up through Philly and Delaware that's just different shades of that.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I mean, I figured it was done well because I'm a Kroll Show disciple and it makes me feel good to make fun of someone else's accent for once.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Digging the Dale "documentary." As advertised, a very odd yet compelling approach.
[+] spoiler
Not really a spoiler, but I'm glad they addressed the trans thing almost immediately, because I watched the trailer and I was like "are they gonna address the fact that this is a dude?" It's kind of bizarre watching the news clips, because they were definitely NOT following people's preferred gender identification back thing (obvi).
Another doc on HBO that I highly recommend is 100 Foot Wave. Yes, it's a surfing movie... But so far it's fascinating and horrifying to watch. They make the point that most all of us have been pushed around by a 3 or 4 foot wave. Think about that power and then think about routinely surfing in 60-80 foot waves. Then think about something higher than an 8 story building. Terrifying.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:35 pm Digging the Dale "documentary." As advertised, a very odd yet compelling approach.
[+] spoiler
Not really a spoiler, but I'm glad they addressed the trans thing almost immediately, because I watched the trailer and I was like "are they gonna address the fact that this is a dude?" It's kind of bizarre watching the news clips, because they were definitely NOT following people's preferred gender identification back thing (obvi).
Really enjoyed it and was not surprising to see what a piece of shit Tucker Carlson’s father is.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:35 pm Another doc on HBO that I highly recommend is 100 Foot Wave. Yes, it's a surfing movie... But so far it's fascinating and horrifying to watch. They make the point that most all of us have been pushed around by a 3 or 4 foot wave. Think about that power and then think about routinely surfing in 60-80 foot waves. Then think about something higher than an 8 story building. Terrifying.
Watched the first episode. Very well done. There have been lots of these big wave docs, but this went way deeper into the quest (not just here is a huge break in California).
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:35 pm Another doc on HBO that I highly recommend is 100 Foot Wave. Yes, it's a surfing movie... But so far it's fascinating and horrifying to watch. They make the point that most all of us have been pushed around by a 3 or 4 foot wave. Think about that power and then think about routinely surfing in 60-80 foot waves. Then think about something higher than an 8 story building. Terrifying.
So many great surfing docs out there. Like 'Step Into Liquid'

More recently, 'Momentum Generation':