Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by A_B »

The cobra kai ad before avengers actually made me interested in that show. Anyone watch first season? Worth it?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The timing of the intro to Barry in the 4th episode of this season was awesome.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:04 pm The timing of the intro to Barry in the 4th episode of this season was awesome.
The whole season has been great IMO.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:06 pm
Giff wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:04 pm The timing of the intro to Barry in the 4th episode of this season was awesome.
“Why don’t you very slowly shake your head?”
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:55 pm
brian wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:06 pm
“Why don’t you very slowly shake your head?”
Not enough NoHo Hank for my tastes but it certainly seems like that's going to change over the last three episodes.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

As you may recall, they resurrected Curb Your Enthusiasm last year, after having been on hiatus for a few years.

Just heard that for the next season, Jeff Tweedy of Wilco is joining the cast.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I thought it was weird for that last episode of Barry to just delve into the supernatural like that. I mean...it was awesome, but I'm just not used to seeing a show cross that line for something not at all integral to the plot.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Never been a Sandler fan, and I thought his rise on SNL brought forth the lowest point in my 30+ years of watching it (which coincided with my college years). Having said that, last night’s gave me a good number of laughs, and the ten-to-one got pretty dusty up on here.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

"We were having this beautiful, tender moment, and then you took your accordion and you FUCKED IT!"
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:10 am "We were having this beautiful, tender moment, and then you took your accordion and you FUCKED IT!"
NoHo Hank is the fucking best.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

The Felipe Lopez 30 for 30 was so good. The basketball stuff was interesting with the loaded late 90's Big East and a lot of "what ifs": if he went straight to the NBA out of high school or after his freshman year, If he went to a better college program, if the Spurs didn't trade him away, if he doesn't get hurt, etc. I was also impressed with the non-basketball stuff. It's a great immigrant success story, and he seems like an impressive guy with a good family.

On another note, those sandwiches aren't gonna finger themselves.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Gary with the lipstick. Dang.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"Chernobyl" on HBO is absolutely horrifying.

Very well done, but chilling.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:48 pm "Chernobyl" on HBO is absolutely horrifying.

Very well done, but chilling.
Haven't dived in yet, but I did just finish the book its based on so looking forward to it.

We did watch the first episode of 'Catch-22' on Hulu, and it was really good.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Everyone raves about Big Little Lies but I think it kind of sucks but I keep watching because Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman are so hot. Maybe this should go in the Confessions thread.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Dead to Me is really great. Banged through all 10 episodes in 2.5 nights. I don’t know what the term is for an actor who can perfectly play a normal person (versus dramatic or all comedy or superhero) but Christina Applegate has to be near the top.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:01 pm Dead to Me is really great. Banged through all 10 episodes in 2.5 nights. I don’t know what the term is for an actor who can perfectly play a normal person (versus dramatic or all comedy or superhero) but Christina Applegate has to be near the top.
Watched 5 out of 10 episodes so far. Great show, but not remotely what i was expecting. I thought it would be a slightly dark buddy comedy. I mean, Will Ferrell produced this show! It's really good, but much more a drama than a comedy. Actually, abut the only comedic scene is in the trailer, and the show starts with that scene, and that's about it for the comedy. A few dark chuckles, I guess, but more from uncomfortable social interactions than actual comedy. The writing and acting are great, and the show just moves so fast and seamlessly. It's really hard to stop watching.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Who knew?!?!?!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:12 pmWatched 5 out of 10 episodes so far. Great show, but not remotely what i was expecting. I thought it would be a slightly dark buddy comedy. I mean, Will Ferrell produced this show! It's really good, but much more a drama than a comedy. Actually, abut the only comedic scene is in the trailer, and the show starts with that scene, and that's about it for the comedy. A few dark chuckles, I guess, but more from uncomfortable social interactions than actual comedy. The writing and acting are great, and the show just moves so fast and seamlessly. It's really hard to stop watching.
Interesting. I'd absolutely consider it a comedy and its gotten a few legit LOLs which possibly says something about me?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So finished Sneaky Pete season 3 (Amazon). Took me a bit to figure out why one of the last scenes was shot the way it was....oh the guy playing the character died. Made more sense on his role in the season.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Every HBO show ever, ranked.

Long, but well done and worth your time. I have some minor quibbles, but largely think the rankings are right on.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:37 pm Every HBO show ever, ranked.

Long, but well done and worth your time. I have some minor quibbles, but largely think the rankings are right on.
I love it's description of Westworld. I really like the first season, but if I need to do hours of research to understand a show, it's going in the Lost bin. Wake me up when you're done and I'll find out if it's worth going back and watching.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Good article, and a reminder that I should watch The Leftovers. I really enjoy Crashing, which this article ranked as one of the worst shows. The show isn't great, but I love the NYC comedy scene, and seeing so many world class comics playing themselves in the show appeals to me. I briefly listened to Pete Holmes' podcast when he started, and heard him on several other pods, so I don't have a hard time imagining the cartoonishly naive character he plays probably isn't much of an exaggeration of who he was when he started out. I love that he is willing to go so deep and making himself into a cringe-inducing naive clown for laughs.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:09 pm

Good article, and a reminder that I should watch The Leftovers. I really enjoy Crashing, which this article ranked as one of the worst shows. The show isn't great, but I love the NYC comedy scene, and seeing so many world class comics playing themselves in the show appeals to me. I briefly listened to Pete Holmes' podcast when he started, and heard him on several other pods, so I don't have a hard time imagining the cartoonishly naive character he plays probably isn't much of an exaggeration of who he was when he started out. I love that he is willing to go so deep and making himself into a cringe-inducing naive clown for laughs.
One of my quibbles is I would probably have The Leftovers at #3, behind The Sopranos and The Wire, but that's just me and I don't think it was dismissive at all of The Leftovers' greatness.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

A_B wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:51 am

Who knew?!?!?!
Joking aside the series (and associated podcast) has been fantastic. They are doing a great job with the storytelling and (allegedly) have been pretty accurate based on people's accounts. The podcast was helpful for the first couple episodes to keep track of who was who since the characters were real people. I wasn't sure I would like it going in but I think its one of the better limited series I've seen.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'll echo that. It's really, really good and at times seems almost like a horror movie, which is even more affecting considering it's a true story (obvs).
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Flight of the Conchords is criminally under appreciated.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

BSF21 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:44 pm

Flight of the Conchords is criminally under appreciated.
Also, for having that cast, Bored to Death sucked. Sucked. Don’t @ me.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

It's not that I necessarily dislike him as a person or an actor, but every role I've seen Jason Schwartzman in has irritated the hell out of me. It's like I see his name in the credits or the movie poster and I'm like "oh great. This fucking guy again."
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

I have many quibbles but such is the nature of these lists. My main takeaway is I'm shocked at how much of my life I've spent watching HBO series (40 of them)!
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:24 am It's not that I necessarily dislike him as a person or an actor, but every role I've seen Jason Schwartzman in has irritated the hell out of me. It's like I see his name in the credits or the movie poster and I'm like "oh great. This fucking guy again."
He was great in 'Rushmore'. Its been downhill since then.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

He was great in I Love Huckabee's as well. I normally don't like Schwartzman or Mark Wahlberg, but they were both really good in that.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:47 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:24 am It's not that I necessarily dislike him as a person or an actor, but every role I've seen Jason Schwartzman in has irritated the hell out of me. It's like I see his name in the credits or the movie poster and I'm like "oh great. This fucking guy again."
He was great in 'Rushmore'. Its been downhill since then.
For me, that was the movie that started my distaste for him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:51 am I thought it was weird for that last episode of Barry to just delve into the supernatural like that. I mean...it was awesome, but I'm just not used to seeing a show cross that line for something not at all integral to the plot.
That episode was something. Whoa.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:57 pm I'll echo that. It's really, really good and at times seems almost like a horror movie, which is even more affecting considering it's a true story (obvs).
The end of the 2nd episode will stay with me for a long time.
[+] spoiler
The three workers who have volunteered for the suicide mission to drain the tanks, water sizzling with radioactivity and their lights go out one after the other. Triply claustrophobic.
The widow of a Chernobyl engineer remembers her husband
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

If we ever had an accident* like that, I'm absolutely convinced that we'd handle it as irresponsibly and unethically as the Soviets did.

*I'm only two episodes in and nobody seems to have any idea how a nuclear core would explode instead of melting down, so I suppose there's always a chance it wasn't an accident.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:20 am If we ever had an accident* like that, I'm absolutely convinced that we'd handle it as irresponsibly and unethically as the Soviets did.

*I'm only two episodes in and nobody seems to have any idea how a nuclear core would explode instead of melting down, so I suppose there's always a chance it wasn't an accident.
I don't think this is a spoiler, but it was an accident. If at the time there had been any chance it was sabotaged, the Americans would have been blamed. It's honestly kind of amazing that the Soviets didn't go that route anyway. If it had happened in the 60s or 70s, it's entirely possible that's how it would have gone down until the truth eventually came out.

That said, they do eventually explain how it happened in the show.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:31 am Holy crap, thanks to the discussion herein and my wife who kept recommending it, finally got around to Brockmire - saw the first 3 episodes of season 1 last night. That was unreal great on all levels.
I am even later to the party - I finally have away to (legally) watch Brockmire and the first 2 episodes were the perfect antidote to the unrelenting grimness of the 3rd episode of Chernobyl.

My only quibble is that Hank Azaria is in much better shape than Bockmire should be... but very minor issue. He is hilarious.