Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:22 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:57 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:42 pm
brian wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:15 am A show called "The Seinfeld Chronicles" debuted 30 years ago today. It would go on to become the most profitable show in the history of television (an estimated $7 billion and still growing -- about $2 billion from its original run and about $5 billion in syndication). Jerry Seinfeld is expected to become a billionaire by 2021.
I still remember watching the pilot and thinking it was a horrible show. Then several months later, my friends convincing me to give it another chance, and yada yada yada...
That first season is unwatchable. To be frank, I'm not sure there's that much quality in the first three seasons. I mean, Wayne Knight was a quality addition later into the third season, but IMO it's not until they come back from California is when the show beings to take off, and that's where the real quality additions to the cast begin to take place. It was also huge when they finally wrote about Elaine in the work environment, too. Mr. Pitt and then obviously J Peterman.
You're welcome to your opinion, but Season 3 was great. I'll give you the first half of Season 2 not being that great, but I think the show really started to find its stride with episodes like "The Revenge" and "The Heart Attack" and built that into Season 3.

Season 3, my god. There's some legendary episodes in there. "The Pen", "The Parking Garage", "The Boyfriend" (the "Keith Hernandez episode"), "The Dog", "The Letter" (the episode with Catherine Keener as the pretentious artist). The latter especially was Julia Louis Dreyfus at her most genius. I think people realize now, especially given how awesome she has been in everything since that she was the straw that stirred the drink in that show. The list of the greatest comedic actresses of all time includes her and Lucille Ball at the top and then you're just arguing about whoever is third.
You saw enough in Season 3 to see where it would become one of the greatest shows of all time, but at the end of the day, Season 3 is a career minor leaguer compared to Season 4.

The first two seasons are their worst. Season 3 is arguably the 3rd worst (depending on your opinion of the final season). But you're right, there are some good episodes. I'd disagree and say there's no way that was the quintessential JLD. The Soup Nazi, The Stand-In, The Sponge, The Little Kicks, "The Suzie" and probably my favorite episode of all time, The Hamptons are all better representations of her comedic talent. Her and Jason Alexander really helped take the writing to the next level (both being the main conduits to the additional actors/storylines), and it was Season 4 where that began to become realized.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:15 am A show called "The Seinfeld Chronicles" debuted 30 years ago today. It would go on to become the most profitable show in the history of television (an estimated $7 billion and still growing -- about $2 billion from its original run and about $5 billion in syndication). Jerry Seinfeld is expected to become a billionaire by 2021.
I still remember watching the pilot and thinking it was a horrible show. Then several months later, my friends convincing me to give it another chance, and yada yada yada...
That first season is unwatchable. To be frank, I'm not sure there's that much quality in the first three seasons. I mean, Wayne Knight was a quality addition later into the third season, but IMO it's not until they come back from California is when the show beings to take off, and that's where the real quality additions to the cast begin to take place. It was also huge when they finally wrote about Elaine in the work environment, too. Mr. Pitt and then obviously J Peterman.
You're welcome to your opinion, but Season 3 was great. I'll give you the first half of Season 2 not being that great, but I think the show really started to find its stride with episodes like "The Revenge" and "The Heart Attack" and built that into Season 3.

Season 3, my god. There's some legendary episodes in there. "The Pen", "The Parking Garage", "The Boyfriend" (the "Keith Hernandez episode"), "The Dog", "The Letter" (the episode with Catherine Keener as the pretentious artist). The latter especially was Julia Louis Dreyfus at her most genius. I think people realize now, especially given how awesome she has been in everything since that she was the straw that stirred the drink in that show. The list of the greatest comedic actresses of all time includes her and Lucille Ball at the top and then you're just arguing about whoever is third.
Preach!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Big Little Lies
[+] spoiler
is still fun. I love watching Laura Dern's world collapsing and her responses (I used to like to sit on your face too). I also like the development of Bonnie, especially considering how she was portrayed last season. The Nicole Kidman last minute, "we should look into the mother-in-law's fitness to be a guardian!" is silly. You mean we should look into a woman who had one child die young(with her ex-husband blaming her for it) and who raised the other child to become a women beating rapist!?!? That's some impressive lawyering
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's a good debate/conversation. I'd definitely argue Carol Burnett is up there with Lucille Ball. I'd also throw Mary Tyler Moore into the mix.

And just conversatin' not debatin': There's some mix of Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Melissa McCarthy where I'm not sure we can judge, yet, but their body of work is going to potentially make an argument down the road.

The other one that flies under the comedy radar is Sandra Bullock. But that's probably more that I just have a long-term crush on her.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, Carol Burnett and MTM are great (I'm more of a MTM guy myself between those two), but I stand by my opinion (like you said -- just one's man's opinion) that there's no version of a Mount Rushmore of the greatest comedic actresses of all-time that doesn't include Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

And I think the clincher is that she did it in more than one show and more than one type of show (another point in MTM's favor as well). I don't know how many actresses have won acting Emmys in three different shows but I gotta imagine that list isn't long.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:07 am Yeah, Carol Burnett and MTM are great (I'm more of a MTM guy myself between those two), but I stand by my opinion (like you said -- just one's man's opinion) that there's no version of a Mount Rushmore of the greatest comedic actresses of all-time that doesn't include Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

And I think the clincher is that she did it in more than one show and more than one type of show (another point in MTM's favor as well). I don't know how many actresses have won acting Emmys in three different shows but I gotta imagine that list isn't long.
Julia-Louise Dreyfus would have to be up there.

Carole Burnett too. Lucille Ball, I guess because of her historical significance but I never laughed at her shows (any of them).

I'll put Tina Fey up there and Canadian bias has me putting Catherine o'Hara on the mountain.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I actually grew to really hate Lucille Ball, because back before cable, it was one of those shows that seemed to constantly be on. And like Pruitt, I just didn't find that original show all that funny. And I can barely remember what she did down the road because I just didn't find her funny.

Carol Burnett, though... Going back and re-watching stuff after Tim Conway died... A lot of that still holds up. I just find her to be very sharp-witted and growing up, she was my first glimpse of what comedy and improv was really all about. It's actually a pretty good contrast, in my mind.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:21 am I actually grew to really hate Lucille Ball, because back before cable, it was one of those shows that seemed to constantly be on. And like Pruitt, I just didn't find that original show all that funny. And I can barely remember what she did down the road because I just didn't find her funny.

Carol Burnett, though... Going back and re-watching stuff after Tim Conway died... A lot of that still holds up. I just find her to be very sharp-witted and growing up, she was my first glimpse of what comedy and improv was really all about. It's actually a pretty good contrast, in my mind.
Carol Burnett was a Saturday night staple. Even after discovering things like Monty Python it still made me laugh. There was an exuberance to it, a silliness that was genuine.

Lucille Ball's later shows were grim sitcoms.

Looking back at the old time TV "classics" (which were in heavy rerun rotation when I was a kid), so many of them weren't funny. Time capsules sure, but they were just horribly dated - even back in the 70s.

Not that anyone asked, but other than "Sgt. Bilko," nothing before "The Dick Van Dyke Show" could even raise a smile let alone a laugh.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't disagree with most of those takes, but Lucille Ball in her prime -- forget "jokes" (it was a different era and a lot of the jokes would be considered dumb at best, possibly racist at worst) but just her acting and physical comedy. I mean, she's still in a league of her own in that regard.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:48 am I don't disagree with most of those takes, but Lucille Ball in her prime -- forget "jokes" (it was a different era and a lot of the jokes would be considered dumb at best, possibly racist at worst) but just her acting and physical comedy. I mean, she's still in a league of her own in that regard.
Yeah, I just went back and looked at some best of articles and have to admit, there are some funny episodes...

I mentioned it up top, but it's not really fair of me to judge a lot of these 50s and 60s shows, because of the forced-to-watch nature I was stuck in. I mean, I'm sure Green Acres and Petticoat Junction were funny to many, but when that's all I've got as an option... And I'm the kind of kid who was starting to get into Monty and SNL and stuff like that... It was just so corny to me.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Lucille Ball was a fine actress in old movies before tv, and you have to give her props for being the first big female television star (even though I never enjoyed her shows.). I have similar thoughts on Carol Burnett. She obviously was talented but didn’t make me laugh much. I liked MTM a lot more, but she was more of an ensemble player than a comic. Those three benefitted from there being only three networks and no cable tv in their eras, so everybody saw them all the time.

The current crop mentioned by others (Louis-Dreyfus, Fey, Poehler, etc.) are much better imho, but they walked a trail that was blazed for them by the others.

(Of course all the above is limited to just tv stars).
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:12 am
brian wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:48 am I don't disagree with most of those takes, but Lucille Ball in her prime -- forget "jokes" (it was a different era and a lot of the jokes would be considered dumb at best, possibly racist at worst) but just her acting and physical comedy. I mean, she's still in a league of her own in that regard.
Yeah, I just went back and looked at some best of articles and have to admit, there are some funny episodes...

I mentioned it up top, but it's not really fair of me to judge a lot of these 50s and 60s shows, because of the forced-to-watch nature I was stuck in. I mean, I'm sure Green Acres and Petticoat Junction were funny to many, but when that's all I've got as an option... And I'm the kind of kid who was starting to get into Monty and SNL and stuff like that... It was just so corny to me.
Those "Hillbilly Comedies" you cite were an interesting genre. "Beverley Hillbillies" still has some silly charm, but the show I loved, even through heavy stoner years was "Green Acres." If you;re in the right mood, it is positively surreal.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Fuck me, I did NOT see this coming and then somehow started laughing uncontrollably. You have to stay until the end though.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:38 pm Fuck me, I did NOT see this coming and then somehow started laughing uncontrollably. You have to stay until the end though.

That...got dark.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

WTactualF???
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

At least he left his heirs a decent estate.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

And the song title was "How To Save A Life"?

Oh man...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:08 pm And the song title was "How To Save A Life"?

Oh man...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:13 am Big Little Lies
[+] spoiler
is still fun. I love watching Laura Dern's world collapsing and her responses (I used to like to sit on your face too). I also like the development of Bonnie, especially considering how she was portrayed last season. The Nicole Kidman last minute, "we should look into the mother-in-law's fitness to be a guardian!" is silly. You mean we should look into a woman who had one child die young(with her ex-husband blaming her for it) and who raised the other child to become a women beating rapist!?!? That's some impressive lawyering
[+] spoiler
Turns out the only person who could make me hate Meryl Streep is Meryl Streep playing someone hateful.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

New season of Archer is as good as it's been in awhile. I wasn't a huge fan of the noir detective season or the South Pacific season, but this sci-fi season is pretty awesome.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I thought HBO's I Love You, Now Die doc was really good -- I changed my mind about the case about 50 times while watching. The case is more complex than what the media and especially Nancy Grace made it out to be (I know shocking). By the end, I didn't think she should be in jail, just a lot of psychological help

And sure enough there are the interviews with the "man on the street," with the stereotypical dumb Massholes, extreme accents and all. One day I would like to see a documentary interview someone outside a law firm, tech company, university, etc
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

GD the Picard trailer looks great and I don’t want to pay for another content provider...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:51 pm I thought HBO's I Love You, Now Die doc was really good -- I changed my mind about the case about 50 times while watching. The case is more complex than what the media and especially Nancy Grace made it out to be (I know shocking). By the end, I didn't think she should be in jail, just a lot of psychological help

And sure enough there are the interviews with the "man on the street," with the stereotypical dumb Massholes, extreme accents and all. One day I would like to see a documentary interview someone outside a law firm, tech company, university, etc
I think you might be the first person to legitimately convince me (intended or not) there’s a chance media outlets intentionally seek out the most ridiculously Masshole accent for TV spots. Not even joking.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So..., finally getting around to watching Band of Brothers. Not surprisingly, it's really good.

Then I got to wondering how I didn't watch it the first time around and looked up when it aired and...it's debut episode was on Sept. 9, 2001. Ah. That explains it. I for damn sure wasn't in the mood to watch a very realistic war series in the aftermath of what happened two days later. Reading up on it, the series debuted with a little over 11 million viewing units, then HBO pulled all promotions following 9/11, and it ended its run with only half the original audience still watching it.

In any event, it really is well done.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

It's "companion" The Pacific is also very well done. IMO, not as good as Band of Brothers due to the method of telling the story, but well done.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:36 pm It's "companion" The Pacific is also very well done. IMO, not as good as Band of Brothers due to the method of telling the story, but well done.
Agreed. I started Band of Brothers again with my son. Great casting.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:12 am So..., finally getting around to watching Band of Brothers. Not surprisingly, it's really good.

Then I got to wondering how I didn't watch it the first time around and looked up when it aired and...it's debut episode was on Sept. 9, 2001. Ah. That explains it. I for damn sure wasn't in the mood to watch a very realistic war series in the aftermath of what happened two days later. Reading up on it, the series debuted with a little over 11 million viewing units, then HBO pulled all promotions following 9/11, and it ended its run with only half the original audience still watching it.

In any event, it really is well done.
Man, hearing about Band of Brothers gets me. My younger brother was a fanatical fan of that show. Owned it on dvd and watched it repeatedly and tried to get everybody he knew to watch it with him. He died 7 years ago. Getting dusty in here...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:36 pm It's "companion" The Pacific is also very well done. IMO, not as good as Band of Brothers due to the method of telling the story, but well done.
The Pacific is where I first saw Rami Malek. He's excellent in that role, and I really liked the show as a whole.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:29 pm
EdRomero wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:51 pm I thought HBO's I Love You, Now Die doc was really good -- I changed my mind about the case about 50 times while watching. The case is more complex than what the media and especially Nancy Grace made it out to be (I know shocking). By the end, I didn't think she should be in jail, just a lot of psychological help

I think you might be the first person to legitimately convince me (intended or not) there’s a chance media outlets intentionally seek out the most ridiculously Masshole accent for TV spots. Not even joking.
Yeah, having a kid going to school up there... Sure, that accent exists... But you can certainly go a whole day in downtown Boston and not come across an extreme Masshole caricature.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Anybody watching The Boys on Amazon Prime?

Apparently the graphic novel it's based on is BONKERS with gore and sex stuff. The show is higher level violence, but the premise is outstanding: Basically, think of what would happen if the Koch Brothers controlled an army of super human's, and had Fox News out there shilling for them.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Your teammate. And me. Four episodes in, and I'm enjoying it. The plane scene in episode 4 was pretty fucking great (awful, but great).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:14 pm Your teammate. And me. Four episodes in, and I'm enjoying it. The plane scene in episode 4 was pretty fucking great (awful, but great).
It's subversive stuff. Elizabeth Shue is really putting in a great performance.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Just watched the pilot for The Boys last night and really liked it. Looking forward to watching the rest.

I'm also working my way through The Expanse. Anyone else watch that one? It's pretty damn good. A bit uneven at times, but I love the general premise and the sets have been pretty great so far.
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:57 pm Just watched the pilot for The Boys last night and really liked it. Looking forward to watching the rest.

I'm also working my way through The Expanse. Anyone else watch that one? It's pretty damn good. A bit uneven at times, but I love the general premise and the sets have been pretty great so far.
Been an expanse fan for a long time. The books are great.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I've watched 3 seasons of Sopranos in 10 days. I grew up absolutely surrounded by mafia culture. They nail it perfectly. Wonderful show although somewhat tainted by a horrific kid actor in a main role. He was Carl before there was Carl.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I knew the Joan and John Cusack connection. Did not realize they had a sister Ann who was also in the business (Starlight's mom in The Boys).
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Finished the boys...so what should I go with next on Amazon Prime
1.) This is Football (6 part documentary on soccer)
2.) Gods and Omens
3.) Finish up Season 2 of Man in High Castle
4.) Work through the official World Cup documentaries/all the goals of world cup movies available
5.) Mrs. Maziel
6.) Other?

Have done Sneaky Pete, Jack Ryan. Alpha House, and Betas
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Good Omens was great
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:34 am Finished the boys...so what should I go with next on Amazon Prime
1.) This is Football (6 part documentary on soccer)
2.) Gods and Omens
3.) Finish up Season 2 of Man in High Castle
4.) Work through the official World Cup documentaries/all the goals of world cup movies available
5.) Mrs. Maziel
6.) Other?

Have done Sneaky Pete, Jack Ryan. Alpha House, and Betas
Like I said above. The Expanse is pretty damn good.
Totally Kafkaesque