Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:48 pm If his staff is getting paid too, cool. If not ... kinda gross?
I didn't read the article, but a deal like that would normally help pave the way for him to get staff writers' pilots moving and possibly picked up. He would have a producing role on those other shows, maybe help develop and get "created by" credit also, but a deal like that normally has a significant trickle down effect.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Seems like a good time to announce that I've finally started watching The Good Place and it's amazing.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:41 pm Seems like a good time to announce that I've finally started watching The Good Place and it's amazing.
And unlike the vast, vast majority of shows - it gets better too.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I need to have this song surgically removed from my head after watching The Umbrella Academy a couple weeks ago, which incidentally if you're looking for something to binge with the family, does not disappoint.

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My only issue with Umbrella is that it stretches the shows out too much. Like, I don't need a close to 5 minute dance montage scene. Tighten that shit up.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I know I’m a broken record but Documentary Now is so good you guys. This is a mild spoiler but when I got to the part with the Pittsburgh Steelers references in “Batshit Valley” I almost peed my pants.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And if Michael Keaton doesn’t win an Emmy for Guest Actor in a Comedy Series there’s no justice. Just incredible.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

But he has no comedy chops.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

This seemed like as good a place as any for this - a script for a "Saved by the Bell" episode based on the "Seinfeld" episode, "The Contest".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

One day I hope to do my job with as much aplomb as Noho Hank.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Really excited about the Black Monday finale.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Animated Trailer Park Boys suddenly appeared on my Netflix. Animated Leahy is in it, which feels strange.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:18 pm Season One of Documentary Now just came out on Netflix. I cannot encourage you enough to check it out. (If you're not a fan at all of the documentary format your mileage may vary.)
Watched some of season 3 this weekend. Saw 3 really good ones.The bowling documentary, the album of the musical, and finding gary larson are very good. I like that they are all not Hader and Armisen. Best was I was watching the bowling one and my wife did not realize it was a satire.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Started watching "You" on Netflix and was hooked immediately. Thought from the descriptions I might not like it seeing as how it's kind of focused on a younger demographic, but definitely pulled me in. Looking forward to finishing the last few episodes.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:47 am
mister d wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:48 pm If his staff is getting paid too, cool. If not ... kinda gross?
I didn't read the article, but a deal like that would normally help pave the way for him to get staff writers' pilots moving and possibly picked up. He would have a producing role on those other shows, maybe help develop and get "created by" credit also, but a deal like that normally has a significant trickle down effect.
From a purely social perspective at least, sounds like Schur is putting some of his clout to good use.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

An English Scandal with Hugh Grant is really good.

It stays close to the source material (a book based on crazy real events) and the acting throughout is outstanding.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This SNL bit had me in tears this weekend.

Aidy Bryant is amazing.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That was a very solid SNL episode. Nothing that truly knocked it out of the park (tho Pru is right about the linked skit being really good), but overall just very funny almost all the way through. You know the writers and cast like a guest when he/she show up in just about every sketch. (By like I don't mean personally, just that they obviously "get it" and are nice to work with.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I've heard good things about Shrill, need to check it out now that I have Hulu with my Spotify.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Just ducking back in to note - AP Bio remains really, really, good. And funny.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:10 pm Just ducking back in to note - AP Bio remains really, really, good. And funny.
It's my guilty pleasure. There isn't much substance to the show, but it just fucking makes me laugh. Always love Patton Oswalt, the main guy is perfect in the roll, and Paula Pell is just amazing. All the kids are great, too
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

3rd'd on AP Bio. Forgot it was out there, so thanks for the reminder.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The third episode of this season 2 run a few weeks back was tremendous sitcom form. The “Wednesday morning, 8 am” episode.

Pell’s “He costs two dollars, Ralph” still has me giggling.

Sareka’s snitch book and list of morning transgressions was also a highlight - “he was peeing in the pool and he wasn’t in the pool” — random kid “I have a parasite - hey, don’t write that down”
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

brian wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:46 pm I know I’m a broken record but Documentary Now is so good you guys. This is a mild spoiler but when I got to the part with the Pittsburgh Steelers references in “Batshit Valley” I almost peed my pants.
Thanks for being a broken record because I've been binge watching this and I love it. I haven't watched most of the parodies that they're satirizing, but then I'll watch the original after. Watching clips of Spalding Gray after Bill Hader imitated him is great. Also Fred Armisen does a great David Byrne.

I always think of Armisen as a pretty underwhelming SNL cast member, who became much funnier after he left the show. Maybe he's the most successful former "not that great" of an SNL Cast Member. Or Chris Rock.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think Armisen's humor is so quirky and I'm not sure he's the best in the live format. He's very close to Kaufman in terms of making the audience kind of uncomfortable or off-kilter before they find the humor. Which works for Documentary Now and Portlandia, but not so much on SNL which needs a quick pop in front of that live audience.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Finally got to catch the last few episodes of You're The Worst and that is an example of a pretty great series finale. Always nice to see a good to great show end on a high note.

(And seriously, "No Children" by The Mountain Goats is almost too on-the-nose for the show, but of course it works brilliantly.)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:49 pm Finally got to catch the last few episodes of You're The Worst and that is an example of a pretty great series finale. Always nice to see a good to great show end on a high note.

(And seriously, "No Children" by The Mountain Goats is almost too on-the-nose for the show, but of course it works brilliantly.)
I love that song so much.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Finally got caught up on the first three episodes of Veep and that show is definitely going out on top. I admit thinking it was overrated at times before (mostly w/r/t awards, etc.) but there's no questioning how hilarious this final run for Selina is going. The jokes fly so fast and furious sometimes.

(And I admit being amused at how it's the only show on television to joke about how Nevada is always mispronounced by politicians and how that sticks in the craw of Nevadans. I mean you'd think considering it's the third state to vote after Iowa and New Hampshire that most of these people would learn how to pronounce it correctly.)
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, I did the same last night and couldn't agree more. I forgot how great those characters are.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:56 am Finally got caught up on the first three episodes of Veep and that show is definitely going out on top. I admit thinking it was overrated at times before (mostly w/r/t awards, etc.) but there's no questioning how hilarious this final run for Selina is going. The jokes fly so fast and furious sometimes.

(And I admit being amused at how it's the only show on television to joke about how Nevada is always mispronounced by politicians and how that sticks in the craw of Nevadans. I mean you'd think considering it's the third state to vote after Iowa and New Hampshire that most of these people would learn how to pronounce it correctly.)
Nobody knows its the third state to vote either, so...
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:05 pm
brian wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:56 am Finally got caught up on the first three episodes of Veep and that show is definitely going out on top. I admit thinking it was overrated at times before (mostly w/r/t awards, etc.) but there's no questioning how hilarious this final run for Selina is going. The jokes fly so fast and furious sometimes.

Nobody knows its the third state to vote either, so...
Trust me, these 20 turds (well, 10 turds and 10 who are decent enough) running for president definitely do. I'm sure you especially know what I'm talking about. Can't drive five miles in any direction without running into a rally or town hall for one of them.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bosch is the best cop show since The Wire. I will not argue this.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

brian wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:56 pm Bosch is the best cop show since The Wire. I will not argue this.
It ran concurrently to The Wire so I will grant you "since", but The Shield was every bit as good as The Wire.

I have not watched Bosch but will give it a whirl.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I do put The Shield #3.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I've read the first 12 Bosch books by Michael Connolly (plus some others here's written that aren't Bosch specific) and I keep forgetting to watch this show. I'm going to have to continue it soon. I did watch season 1 and liked it.

Edit:

1) There are 5 seasons! Nice.

2) Lance Reddick and Jamie Hector (both from The Wire) are in this. Totally forgot.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Connolly lives here in Tampa, and is pretty revered among those in the know, (which, frankly isn't that many).
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:56 pm Bosch is the best cop show since The Wire. I will not argue this.
Justified?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Guess that’s kind of a cop show. Still think it’s on a par with The Shield though.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:08 pm Ken Tremendous got PAID.
One other cool thing about this that just occurred to (and probably like only three or four of care about this) but Schur holds the rights to Infinite Jest so with his clout at an all-time high if that thing is ever gonna get made it’ll be soon.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Just finished the Romanoffs, and was very disappointed. Best part of the show is the weekly opening.