Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by brian »

TIL I learned I worked on the student newspaper at CMU with a recent Emmy winner (for Robot Chicken). Tom was the features editor my junior year and actually let me write the one and only movie review of my journalism career (for Happy Gilmore, which received a B- if I remember right.)

He also authored one of the funniest pieces I've ever read in a student publication, which would be better if you actually read it. But the premise was predictions for the new year, most of which were silly. It's an overdone gag really, but the funny part was in the middle of it was prediction number 6:

YOU WILL DIE!

Like I said, you probably had to read it. I should have guessed he would go on to great things. He was a funny, funny dude.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:34 pm TIL I learned I worked on the student newspaper at CMU with a recent Emmy winner (for Robot Chicken). Tom was the features editor my junior year and actually let me write the one and only movie review of my journalism career (for Happy Gilmore, which received a B- if I remember right.)

He also authored one of the funniest pieces I've ever read in a student publication, which would be better if you actually read it. But the premise was predictions for the new year, most of which were silly. It's an overdone gag really, but the funny part was in the middle of it was prediction number 6:

YOU WILL DIE!

Like I said, you probably had to read it. I should have guessed he would go on to great things. He was a funny, funny dude.
Heh, glad I didn't write a review of Happy Gilmore... We saw a sneak peak on campus, high as fuck, and I would have called for it to win an Oscar.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

In this golden age of television (streaming), why oh why hasn't anybody picked up the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson?

I think I read that Seveneves was going to be made into a movie. Maybe this opens up his past works?
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:24 pm In this golden age of television (streaming), why oh why hasn't anybody picked up the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson?

I think I read that Seveneves was going to be made into a movie. Maybe this opens up his past works?
Whew man. That one would be tough, but great if done right.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:12 am
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:24 pm In this golden age of television (streaming), why oh why hasn't anybody picked up the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson?

Whew man. That one would be tough, but great if done right.
I’m thinking a season each for Quicksilver, The Confusion and System of the World. 8-10 episodes each? Maybe 6 episodes each if they could do 90 minute episodes. It’d cost a lot of $$ though.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:30 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:26 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:19 pmBut, as I've said a few times - watching bad TV is just something you do when you're married.
Funny, my wife says the same thing.
My wife wanted me to join her to watch a couple episodes of A Million Little Things. I was ok with that because I like Ron Livingston and James Roday. But the show is not good. (One saving grace - one of the lead actresses, Stephanie Szostak is gorgeous.)
So i watched that show again with the wife tonight. In the episode, actor James Roday played some pickup basketball.

Five swampbucks to the one of you who can name the Swamper who used to play in regularly scheduled pickup basketball games with that actor.
(It sure as hell wasn’t me.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

diddy?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Gus? Lassiter?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

hdo?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The answer is DSafetyGuy!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh man, when I saw this was being discussed I was about to post the same thing already said here ...
sancarlos wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:30 pm(One saving grace - one of the lead actresses, Stephanie Szostak is gorgeous.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Megyn Kelly out at NBC.

But she'll get the remaining $69M on her contact anyway.

Good lord that's so much fucking money. I need a better job.

Video of her at home when she heard the news:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Boy, I bet the executive who hired her is totally fucked (also with an 8 figure buyout).
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

She's been there, what, 12 months? Fucking hell.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:06 pm She's been there, what, 12 months? Fucking hell.
Literally anyone who ever saw her "work" on Fox News knew this was coming eventually. A tiger can't change its stripes.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:36 am The answer is DSafetyGuy!
Norm McDonald also played in this game regularly for a couple years and we had a few occasional guest stars every now and then.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:12 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:06 pm She's been there, what, 12 months? Fucking hell.
Literally anyone who ever saw her "work" on Fox News knew this was coming eventually. A tiger can't change its stripes.
What I find most disturbing is the horrible facelift or eye work she recently had done. A few months ago, she was super hot, now she looks like someone who had a bad facelift.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Has anyone watched the Nat Geo series "Mars"?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/tv/mars/

I'm intrigued. Ron Howard is involved... I guess it's a mix of documentary/interviews and then a fictional crew landing on the planet. Mixed but overall positive reviews, but I've grown to trust you guys over the years.

Thoughts?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:00 am Has anyone watched the Nat Geo series "Mars"?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/tv/mars/

I'm intrigued. Ron Howard is involved... I guess it's a mix of documentary/interviews and then a fictional crew landing on the planet. Mixed but overall positive reviews, but I've grown to trust you guys over the years.

Thoughts?
Disclaimer: I'm a big SpaceX/space flight nerd. I watched the first season. I was... underwhelmed. It had a couple cool moments (mostly on the documentary side), but I don't plan on watching the second season. I think I was expecting more documentary than drama, so it may have just been expectation. And I guess it hits the inevitable comparison with The Martian, and The Martian was far better.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Last night's "SNL" could have been the funniest single episode I have ever seen of that show.

Start to finish, it was gold.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That Always Sunny season finale was incredible. It's easy to forget what an amazing actor Danny DeVito is and that finally few seconds of the season really brought it home.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Night in with my wife and 19 year old daughter which meant 90 Day Fiance, Incredible Dog Challenge and Cake Wars: Christmas Edition

Sometimes, you just need to turn off your brain.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:59 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:53 am My MIL is back living with while we adjust to the new schedule and/or we move to Denver, and we got into it last night about this. She started pearl clutching about Pete Davidson and I told her how as a Trump supporter how extremly hypocritical that was. I hadn't even seen the bit, only read what he had said. I'm surprised I'm still surprised at how transparently idiotic conservatives are when it comes to just about everything, but especially shit like this.
Crenshaw had a great response. Nobody should be upset or demand an apology, because it was a joke. The real crime was that the joke wasn't funny.
This was fucking solid. (Sorry I forgot this was in the other thread.) If anything it makes the freak out on both sides look ridiculous because two people can come together and rag on each other.

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Crenshaw is one of the hucksters peddling in blatant racism and fear mongering, right?

This is a guy SNL felt it needed to make amends with? I didn’t watch the video, but did they take him to task over this shit? Or are they just claiming some arbitrary horse-fuck middle ground with somebody who perpetrates shit like “PizzaGate”?

Fuck that guy.
Five Republican candidates vying for seats in the U.S. House and Senate in November's midterms appear to be current or former administrators of a far-right Facebook group that has pushed debunked conspiracy theories and made racially charged posts about Muslims and black people.

The group has a history of pushing far-right conspiracy theories, such as Pizzagate, the debunked theory that Hillary Clinton and other Democratic officials ran a child sex trafficking ring out of a Washington, D.C., pizza shop; last year’s white nationalist Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia; which members of the group have falsely claimed was “orchestrated by the left”; and the murder of Seth Rich, a former Democratic National Committee employee whom far-right followers have falsely asserted was murdered by a Democratic operative to help Hillary Clinton.

The group has also made posts and comments calling Islam a “cancer” and labeled the Black Lives Matter group as “black supremacy with white masters.”

The five candidates were Daniel Crenshaw, a House candidate from Texas; Danny Tarkanian, a House candidate from Nevada; Corey Stewart, a Senate candidate from Virginia; Matt Rosendale, a Senate candidate from Montana; and Patrick Morrisey, a Senate candidate from West Virginia.
Since the original story by Media Matters was published Thursday afternoon, Tarkanian, Rosendale and Morrisey no longer appear as administrators. Stewart and Crenshaw remained as of Friday morning.
https://www.newsweek.com/republican-can ... ok-1099744
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I mean, it was a good bit.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If Davidson had made fun of him for being a racist, then there would have been no need to apologize, so SNL kinda dug their own hole on this one.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:15 pm That Always Sunny season finale was incredible. It's easy to forget what an amazing actor Danny DeVito is and that finally few seconds of the season really brought it home.
My youngest was in the room when this scene came on and she was mesmerized. She asked to watch it again when it was done.

The other came in this morning asking me who sang "To My Dearest Wife" so she could get Alexa to play it. You'd probably like my kids.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:28 pm If Davidson had made fun of him for being a racist, then there would have been no need to apologize, so SNL kinda dug their own hole on this one.
Yeah there’s a false pretense thing to it too. Cuz you know, ratings.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I guess I still don't understand why that, of all things, warranted an apology.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:04 pm I guess I still don't understand why that, of all things, warranted an apology.
It really didn't, but it made for decent comedy. Like when Odell hits the kicking net and then the next game he apologizes to it.

Ultimately, Kyle Kulinski nails it here:

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:09 pm
Giff wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:04 pm I guess I still don't understand why that, of all things, warranted an apology.
It really didn't, but it made for decent comedy. Like when Odell hits the kicking net and then the next game he apologizes to it.

Ultimately, Kyle Kulinski nails it here:

Homerun.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

It goes back to when they brought Sarah Palin out - is it a sop to the people who don't watch anyway, but who scream for "balance."

It was a pretty funny bit though, but if you are going to do political humour (or even just make fun of people), it is ridiculously lame to pull it back the next week.

But it was a pretty funny episode. i like that they are getting more absurd and surreal with some of their bits.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I hate when SNL brings these people in. Crenshaw was an administrator of a racist conspiracy facebook group and he'll be a shitty representative. It's the same as Jon Stewart playing footsie with McCain and SNL bringing in Palin. They're ruining the country and bringing in an IdioKleptocracy, but, hey, they're swell people so let's share a laugh with them onstage.

Bourdain final episode was great, although watching the final season was pretty uncomfortable. I thought some of his last interviews in the NYC episode were spot on as they were telling Bourdain to stop reminiscing so much and enjoy life today.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I never realized how closely Ice-T resembles Dick Wolf.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Funny how this thread dovetails; one piece awful republicans being given free passes to be jokey on TV and the other the dude who recorded "Cop Killer" accepted as a pretend cop on network TV.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I can never even think of Ice T without laughing, thanks to John Mulaney's bit about "SVU."

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:37 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:21 pm Anyone else watching The Americans?

Damn, awesome finale.
It was maybe the best episode of the series. That showdown in the parking garage...holy shit.
So I finally got around to watching the final season of The Americans (long story why it took so long) and holy shit, the entire season was incredible. Maybe the best final season of any TV show in history considering all of the plates spinning. The season opening episode and the last two episodes were especially brilliant.

I'll spoiler tag this just in case anyone hasn't seen it and one day wants to
[+] spoiler
but I was impressed at the ultimate ending the how it didn't really "cheat" the characters. I was kind of expecting some kind of ending that might involve at least Philip offering information to Stan to defect to the US, but that would have been totally out of character for Elizabeth and it would have been out of character for Philip to abandon Elizabeth, so...back to Russia makes a lot of sense.

And selfishly I like that it left it open-ended if there was ever any desire to return to the characters in 10 years or so after Russia has "democratized" in the 90s and it's theoretically possible for Paige and Henry to visit Russia or maybe even for Philip and Elizabeth to visit the US (I don't know what machinations might have to happen for that, but it's not impossible). I would like the idea of a movie perhaps that deals with a reunion with their kids.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:04 pm
Giff wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:37 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:21 pm Anyone else watching The Americans?

Damn, awesome finale.
It was maybe the best episode of the series. That showdown in the parking garage...holy shit.
So I finally got around to watching the final season of The Americans (long story why it took so long) and holy shit, the entire season was incredible. Maybe the best final season of any TV show in history considering all of the plates spinning. The season opening episode and the last two episodes were especially brilliant.

I'll spoiler tag this just in case anyone hasn't seen it and one day wants to
[+] spoiler
but I was impressed at the ultimate ending the how it didn't really "cheat" the characters. I was kind of expecting some kind of ending that might involve at least Philip offering information to Stan to defect to the US, but that would have been totally out of character for Elizabeth and it would have been out of character for Philip to abandon Elizabeth, so...back to Russia makes a lot of sense.

And selfishly I like that it left it open-ended if there was ever any desire to return to the characters in 10 years or so after Russia has "democratized" in the 90s and it's theoretically possible for Paige and Henry to visit Russia or maybe even for Philip and Elizabeth to visit the US (I don't know what machinations might have to happen for that, but it's not impossible). I would like the idea of a movie perhaps that deals with a reunion with their kids.
so guess i have to put my thoughts into the spoiler tag too
[+] spoiler
Phillip completely f's up Stan's relationship with his "I don't know"
Phillip talking himself out of Stan in the parking lot seems goofy to me
Henry is going to end up a mess, Paige seems poorly equipped for the decision she made
Philip's other son thing felt like a loose thread
Martha Hanson's Russia life..... fascinating
Hanging Oleg out at the end is a story I would like to further understand
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I suppose I’m just talking to myself here, but if anybody else here ever watches TCM, tomorrow (Wednesday) they’re having an all-day film noir festival. I’ve become a big fan of the old film noir genre and always record/watch TCM’s Noir Alley segments.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:48 pm I suppose I’m just talking to myself here, but if anybody else here ever watches TCM, tomorrow (Wednesday) they’re having an all-day film noir festival. I’ve become a big fan of the old film noir genre and always record/watch TCM’s Noir Alley segments.
I don;t get TCM - unfortunately - but I love noir.

That Barbara Stanwyck - she was one cold blooded woman.