Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Giff »

I know we're the last two to the party, but finally started Ted Lasso last night. Three episodes in and it is so fucking great.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

We’re about to take our 3rd time through before S2 comes out and I’m not even overboard in love about it like most of yalls
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Perfect show.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:25 am Top Chef:
[+] spoiler
The Tofu challenge was pretty cool, although it was pretty much right in Shota's wheelhouse. It was weird that they didn't announce a winner, just who got eliminated.

I did wonder what would have happened if some of the 'Winning' chefs had jumped in to help Dawn with her plating after she cut her finger (those mandolines are scary). Were they told they couldn't help out?
[+] spoiler
Yeah, that was tough to watch. Glad she didn’t get eliminated because of that. That’s an interesting thought about the others helping. The ones still competing did help, right? Just missed a plate?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The quote that made me laugh the most last night:

Jamie Tartt: “Coach, I’m me. Why would I want to be anything else?”
Ted: “I’m not sure you realize how psychologically healthy that actually is.”
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Du du du dududududu, Jaime Tartt.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:59 pm The quote that made me laugh the most last night:

Jamie Tartt: “Coach, I’m me. Why would I want to be anything else?”
Ted: “I’m not sure you realize how psychologically healthy that actually is.”
It was a perfect line.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:07 am
Ryan wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:01 pm
mister d wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:01 pm Dead to Me is really great. Banged through all 10 episodes in 2.5 nights. I don’t know what the term is for an actor who can perfectly play a normal person (versus dramatic or all comedy or superhero) but Christina Applegate has to be near the top.
I am loving this show
Just finished both seasons. Can't decide if this is a great show or just an absurd soap opera that happens to have two amazing leads. Either way, worth it.
So, as usual, I’m late to the party. Most of the way through season one, and my thoughts on Dead To Me align with those above.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

1...horrible summer tv show concept
2... horrible reason for killing production

"NBC Halts Production on Ultimate Slip 'N Slide amid Report of 'Explosive Diarrhea' Outbreak on Set | PEOPLE.com" https://people.com/tv/nbc-halts-product ... ak-on-set/
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

phxgators wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:39 pm
[+] spoiler
The Tofu challenge was pretty cool, although it was pretty much right in Shota's wheelhouse. It was weird that they didn't announce a winner, just who got eliminated.

I did wonder what would have happened if some of the 'Winning' chefs had jumped in to help Dawn with her plating after she cut her finger (those mandolines are scary). Were they told they couldn't help out?
[+] spoiler
Yeah, that was tough to watch. Glad she didn’t get eliminated because of that. That’s an interesting thought about the others helping. The ones still competing did help, right? Just missed a plate?
[+] spoiler
On occasion, you'll see other chefs helping someone finish off the plating on a dish. I'm guessing that the chefs that were already on the sidelines weren't allowed to jump back in to help out.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

hoo boy, just watched first episode of Sweet Tooth. Holy shit was that a weird vibe. Gonna keep at it.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Gets better
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:10 pmGets better
Just knocked out episode 2. ALL IN.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:38 am
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
On occasion, you'll see other chefs helping someone finish off the plating on a dish. I'm guessing that the chefs that were already on the sidelines weren't allowed to jump back in to help out.
Crazy ending this week. Really good episode, I thought.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ryan wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:59 pm We’re almost to the point where if Elizabeth Olsen isn’t in a show, I won’t watch it
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:44 pm
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
Just caught up on that one. The 'messages from home' episodes are always super emotional. I'm trying to figure out why Jamie's package included matzo ball soup and challah bread though.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watched the first couple episodes of Hacks and it's pretty funny.

Looks promising.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:24 pm
Really really enjoyed it.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:46 pm
tennbengal wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:24 pm
Really really enjoyed it.
Thanks for the recommendations (Sweet Tooth), probably not something I would have watched otherwise. 5 episodes in, and I can't stop watching. It's really weird, but compelling.

Side note for the Jersey guys, the Essex County Zoo is not a nod to the Essex County Turtle Back Zoo, but to some graphic novel series called Essex County. The sign seemed to be a similar font as the Turtle Back Zoo, and I got excited, but confused since I am assuming the zoo in the show is in Colorado. Sometimes, it's better not to look up facts and believe a more fun fiction. (ETA, I say this while ruining the fun for you).
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My daughters both watch a bunch of medical procedurals (my youngest has watched all of 'Grey's Anatomy' at least 4 times during the pandemic), so last night we watched the pilot episode of 'ER'. Their thoughts: "It's way more frantic". And 'Wait...is that George Clooney?'.

My impressions:

- Still holds up.
- Clooney was a terrible actor when that show started. He got better.
[+] spoiler
I'd totally forgotten that Nurse Hathaway (the Julianna Margulies character) was supposed to be a 'one-off' character and she commits suicide.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The new AFC Richmond away unis look a lot like Blackpool's home EPL unis.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Wasn’t the biggest fan but the Conan finale was surprisingly touching.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I like Conan fine. I just have never been a Late Night tv talk show person, with the exception of stints here and there with Letterman.

With that said, I think Conan has actually found his stride/calling in doing the made for YouTube, behind the scenes stuff with his staff. I'd also throw in his travel show. He's funny in bursts, but tends to run bits into the ground.

I also, once again, would say that his podcast is another area where he is exceling. I feel like he's just bored with the TV interview format, and Conan Needs a Friend/Fan is allowing him to dig deeper and get away from the constant "what are you here to pitch" cycle.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:53 am I like Conan fine. I just have never been a Late Night tv talk show person, with the exception of stints here and there with Letterman.

With that said, I think Conan has actually found his stride/calling in doing the made for YouTube, behind the scenes stuff with his staff. I'd also throw in his travel show. He's funny in bursts, but tends to run bits into the ground.

I also, once again, would say that his podcast is another area where he is exceling. I feel like he's just bored with the TV interview format, and Conan Needs a Friend/Fan is allowing him to dig deeper and get away from the constant "what are you here to pitch" cycle.
I would think the traditional talk show format would be torturous for anyone to manage. The need to write a daily monologue, essentially a standup routine written by someone else with no opportunity to hone the jokes or even practice in front of a crowd, the 7-10 minute small talk useless interviews where the host already knows what the guest it going to say to thinly veil a commercial opportunity for the guest to pitch their movie/show/album/book. Doing that 4 or 5 nights a week has to be an incredibly soul crushing grind. Fallon seems to love playing his stupid games with celebrities. The occasional clip I see, he looks like an excited 10 year old about to get on an amusement park ride or something.

I sporadically watched Conan when he first came on. I thought the bits were entertaining in a dumb but smart way. I haven't actually watched a late night show since Letterman in high school or sometimes when I was home from college, but the CBS show was kind of lame and repetitive. I like Conan's podcast, and it's gotten me to watch a bunch of Youtube clips. I really like it in small doses, mostly the stuff where he rips on his employees. The HR rep mediating Sona and Conan arguing is my favorite. I just can't figure out the bits where he attacks Jordan Schlansky. I really can't tell if Jordan is exaggerating his lack of personality for a bit, or if he is on the spectrum and I should feel guilty for watching. He seems to be in on the joke and trying not to laugh at times, and I have to assume it's a bit, but sometimes it makes me uncomfortable. I have really enjoyed the long form interviews I've seen in the past couple of weeks. Conan alone with the guest with Andy chiming in from the audience seats among the Kevin Hard cutouts, those have been fantastic.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:03 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:53 am I like Conan fine. I just have never been a Late Night tv talk show person, with the exception of stints here and there with Letterman.

I would think the traditional talk show format would be torturous for anyone to manage. The need to write a daily monologue, essentially a standup routine written by someone else with no opportunity to hone the jokes or even practice in front of a crowd, the 7-10 minute small talk useless interviews where the host already knows what the guest it going to say to thinly veil a commercial opportunity for the guest to pitch their movie/show/album/book. Doing that 4 or 5 nights a week has to be an incredibly soul crushing grind. Fallon seems to love playing his stupid games with celebrities. The occasional clip I see, he looks like an excited 10 year old about to get on an amusement park ride or something.

I sporadically watched Conan when he first came on. I thought the bits were entertaining in a dumb but smart way. I haven't actually watched a late night show since Letterman in high school or sometimes when I was home from college, but the CBS show was kind of lame and repetitive. I like Conan's podcast, and it's gotten me to watch a bunch of Youtube clips. I really like it in small doses, mostly the stuff where he rips on his employees. The HR rep mediating Sona and Conan arguing is my favorite. I just can't figure out the bits where he attacks Jordan Schlansky. I really can't tell if Jordan is exaggerating his lack of personality for a bit, or if he is on the spectrum and I should feel guilty for watching. He seems to be in on the joke and trying not to laugh at times, and I have to assume it's a bit, but sometimes it makes me uncomfortable. I have really enjoyed the long form interviews I've seen in the past couple of weeks. Conan alone with the guest with Andy chiming in from the audience seats among the Kevin Hard cutouts, those have been fantastic.
I can’t prove it but I think Jordan Schlansky might be the greatest actor on television.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:33 pm

I can’t prove it but I think Jordan Schlansky might be the greatest actor on television.
That's my thought, too. I just saw a clip of his final appearance, and he had to be acting, but I can't comprehend how he keeps a straight face.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Great thread about watching Ted Lasso...

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I can’t believe no one ever told me about Patriot. What an awesome show. I love weird TV.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:50 pm I can’t believe no one ever told me about Patriot. What an awesome show. I love weird TV.
Have you gotten to the Rock-Paper-Scissors game?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:30 pm Great thread about watching Ted Lasso...

I thought she looked familiar.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5EzgR9WUAcrDzH?format=jpg
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:59 pm
brian wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:50 pm I can’t believe no one ever told me about Patriot. What an awesome show. I love weird TV.
Have you gotten to the Rock-Paper-Scissors game?
Yeah, I just have the final episode left.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Loki question:
[+] spoiler
I don't know the comics for shit but from playing the Lego Marvel games, Kang the Conquerer is like a big time travel guy right? Trying to figure out who's pulling the TVA strings after yesterday and I think he's been mentioned as a possible Thanos replacement for tying the next few phases together.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:30 am Loki question:
[+] spoiler
I don't know the comics for shit but from playing the Lego Marvel games, Kang the Conquerer is like a big time travel guy right? Trying to figure out who's pulling the TVA strings after yesterday and I think he's been mentioned as a possible Thanos replacement for tying the next few phases together.
[+] spoiler
Kang is going to be the big bad in Ant Man & The Wasp: Quantumania. Not sure he is going to be the big bad in Loki, but he is connected to the judge (bf/gf relationship). My guess is one of the other variants will be the bad guy, but hard to say.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Loki has been excellent, easily my favorite of the three D+ series if they come anywhere near to keeping up with the quality of the first four episodes.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:15 am
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
Just caught up on that one. The 'messages from home' episodes are always super emotional. I'm trying to figure out why Jamie's package included matzo ball soup and challah bread though.
[+] spoiler
Great season this year, I thought. I've eaten a Brittany meal, and a Gabe meal. Was definitely pulling for the big Mexican. Glad he won, bummed to hear of his self-inflicted L's since then. Reading that before watching the finale really took the shine off for me.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:17 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:15 am
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
Great season this year, I thought. I've eaten a Brittany meal, and a Gabe meal. Was definitely pulling for the big Mexican. Glad he won, bummed to hear of his self-inflicted L's since then. Reading that before watching the finale really took the shine off for me.
[+] spoiler
We finally caught up with the finale last night. I had seen the winner, thanks to the WaPost article about Gabe's firing. Definitely put a different light on the winner for me. I had liked him, but now, after reading that he had been having an affair with a subordinate, and then messed with her hours after it ended, really put the whole 'oh, i'm a devoted family man' act in a different perspective. Now he just looks like a shit. (his food still looks great though).

Excited to check out Shota's fried chicken place now that things are opening back up.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Succession Season 3 is close...I think there are a few others besides me who love this show in these parts. Yes please:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Huge Kendall Roy stan. He’s just as horrible as the rest of them but I love him for some reason.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Yes...fantastic show because every character is an absolutely terrible person. Been waiting for this season for nearly two years now.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Super excited for this.