Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:03 am I wish there was a cut that just took Mark Brendanwicz out but left everything else in.
Yeah, it's glaringly obvious that his character is a weak link. His scenes with Rashida Jones and Chris Pratt are like watching pros working with an amateur.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So I’ve been rewatching this and just got to the Louis CK stuff. He’s a good character but it seems so icky.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I thought I was going to get through a lot of new shows, but I've been recording the Psych marathon and that's all I've been watching.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I haven't watched the trailer yet, but just knowing a Perry Mason origin story exists with Matthew Rhys playing the title character has me all-in.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

New season of Bosch dropped early!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My siblings and I are looking for a show to watch at the same time and Bosch is up there.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:32 am My siblings and I are looking for a show to watch at the same time and Bosch is up there.
I love it personally. It's one of the better takes on the cop show ever in my opinion.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I don't watch, but do laugh whenever this dude makes a Bosch joke.
[+] spoiler

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Oh, I love those tweets too, but they're coming from a place of equal reverence and irreverence.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:29 am I thought I was going to get through a lot of new shows, but I've been recording the Psych marathon and that's all I've been watching.
Psych has been on a lot at our home, too.

I love Maggie Lawson.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:01 pm
EdRomero wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:29 am I thought I was going to get through a lot of new shows, but I've been recording the Psych marathon and that's all I've been watching.

I love Maggie Lawson.
Same. On both counts.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I know I can Google this, but is the Psych sequel coming out on the new NBC streaming service the same characters/actors?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:19 pm

I love Maggie Lawson.
Same. On both counts.
A lot of people look for the hidden pineapple every episode, but they also seem to manage to put in a quick Juliette ass shot every episode too, which is more fun to look for than a pineapple.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:29 pm

I love Maggie Lawson.
Same. On both counts.
A lot of people look for the hidden pineapple every episode, but they also seem to manage to put in a quick Juliette ass shot every episode too, which is more fun to look for than a pineapple.
Yup.

However, everything Dule Hill does on that show is absolute gold.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Okay, Black Columbo
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:29 pm

I love Maggie Lawson.
Same. On both counts.
We have never seen the fucking pineapple.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I saw the pineapple in season one, episode one. Never since. Season 2 Epiode 11, Gus used my favorite pickup line for the first time -- you hear about Pluto? That's messed up, right?

Also it looks like there will be new episodes on USA in the fall
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:08 pm I saw the pineapple in season one, episode one. Never since. Season 2 Epiode 11, Gus used my favorite pickup line for the first time -- you hear about Pluto? That's messed up, right?

The Pluto line is an all timer. The delivery, everything. So perfect.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Who knew we had so many Psych fans?

Next you're going to tell me everyone in here are massive Royal Pains fans too.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:08 am On our latest rewatch, I decided Mark wasn't that bad. I'm probably wrong since he was, you know, axed from the show. But I think the greatness of Ben Wyatt does him a little bit of a disservice by comparison.

Oh, it's my favorite show ever by the way.
I’ve watched a bunch of these over last two days and I agree that it isnt as bad as I remember.

And I can’t decide, but i give parks and ref third behind arrested development and 30 rock but honestly they’re all interchangeable.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"Years after Years" on HBO looked from the promos to be a light family/political comedy. But it's not.

Some light, funny bits, but it gets really intense, really fast. Really good, but after the first two episodes, my wife and I had to watch a couple "Parks and Rec" to lighten the mood.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:46 pm
EdRomero wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:08 pm I saw the pineapple in season one, episode one. Never since. Season 2 Epiode 11, Gus used my favorite pickup line for the first time -- you hear about Pluto? That's messed up, right?

The Pluto line is an all timer. The delivery, everything. So perfect.
“I see dead people” every time we eat anything spicy.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

We were watching the "Tuesday the 17th" episode the other night - the pineapple is the winning piñata in the opening scene at the summer camp when Sean and Gus are kids. My wife has a knack for finding the pineapple (they're constantly small decor things, like paperweights of centerpieces on tables).

Funny thing - James Roday thought that being cast the as the second-tier bad guy in "The Dukes of Hazzard" was going to be his last shot at becoming a name actor. He and a bunch of other guys from our pick-up game went to opening night at what was then Mann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood (I passed). Between "Psych" and whatever ABC show he's on now, he's had the biggest acting career of anyone from that movie since it came out.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:36 amFunny thing - James Roday thought that being cast the as the second-tier bad guy in "The Dukes of Hazzard" was going to be his last shot at becoming a name actor. He and a bunch of other guys from our pick-up game went to opening night at what was then Mann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood (I passed).
Wait - was Roday one of the guys from your pick-up game?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:40 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:36 amFunny thing - James Roday thought that being cast the as the second-tier bad guy in "The Dukes of Hazzard" was going to be his last shot at becoming a name actor. He and a bunch of other guys from our pick-up game went to opening night at what was then Mann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood (I passed).
Yes, it's been mentioned before. He was a regular for multiple years before getting the gig on "Psych" (he was a nobody - I don't think I knew he was an actor before the "Dukes of Hazzard" thing). "Psych" essentially mandated a move to Vancouver to shoot the show, so he played one time on a break after one of the early seasons.

It was really weird when, shortly before the show debuted, I was stopped at a red light after picking up a burrito and his face was dominating a 15-20' tall billboard (fingers to his temples, of course).
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:41 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:40 pm
Yes, it's been mentioned before. He was a regular for multiple years before getting the gig on "Psych" (he was a nobody - I don't think I knew he was an actor before the "Dukes of Hazzard" thing). "Psych" essentially mandated a move to Vancouver to shoot the show, so he played one time on a break after one of the early seasons.

It was really weird when, shortly before the show debuted, I was stopped at a red light after picking up a burrito and his face was dominating a 15-20' tall billboard (fingers to his temples, of course).
My wife will be impressed with this brush with fame.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:12 pm GD the Picard trailer looks great and I don’t want to pay for another content provider...
Free access this month. Through episode 7 today.

JJ Abrams should be GD ashamed and prevented from making a second Star Wars movie if for no other reason than ST: Picard can stage a more meaningful and moving reunion between the titular character and his former 2nd in command and councilor than he (JJ) managed with a blank slate, an all but limited budget and access to Han Solo, Leia, Luke and everyone else after 30+ years. And Riker is such a fucking dork compared to Han. Dammit.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Watched the last nine episodes of the penultimate BoJack season yesterday and just know season six will gut me.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:41 am Watched the last nine episodes of the penultimate BoJack season yesterday and just know season six will gut me.
Yep.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Real funny show with not too many episodes (ha!) to stream quickly is Episodes. Just stumbled across it recently. Matt LeBlanc is a revelation.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:06 pm Real funny show with not too many episodes (ha!) to stream quickly is Episodes. Just stumbled across it recently. Matt LeBlanc is a revelation.
Series gets better in Season 2 as well.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:52 pm
brian wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:06 pm Real funny show with not too many episodes (ha!) to stream quickly is Episodes. Just stumbled across it recently. Matt LeBlanc is a revelation.
Yeah that’s where I’m at. They seem to really be figuring it out.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Other than the obvious human and financial toll, the biggest catastrophe from COVID-19 was the postponement of the filming of season two of I Think You Should Leave.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

ht: Men In Blazers' newsletter
enduring appeal of scooby
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... al/609091/
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:48 pm ht: Men In Blazers' newsletter
enduring appeal of scooby
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... al/609091/
I think "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?" was the first non-educational cartoon our daughter watched. Had a Scooby-Doo themed 4th birthday party, including bounce house and a giant box that my wife painted as the "Mystery Machine"* that the kids could get in.

* My wife's poor spelling came through in her work. One side lists it as the "Mystry" Machine... after it originally said it was the "Mysery Machine".
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:52 pm
I'm legitimately angry right now that Matt LeBlanc didn't win an Emmy for this show at some point. The writing is great and that's the heart of the show, but it's just such a great performance. It can't be easy playing a fictional version of yourself.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Dumping this here because this thread has been getting some regular work lately.

NBC Sports Network's Olympic replays tonight are four of the USA Basketball gold medal games in recent years. Starting at 7pm Eastern and in two-hour blocks, they are 2008, 1992, 2012, and 2000. Think I'll pop in and see how the original Dream Team looks.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Psych's final episode of season one may have the funniest show title ever: Scary Sherry: Bianca's Toast. Also, it's really annoying not to be able to see the Psych-outs at the end of the episodes during the marathon.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

ST: Picard was a welcome show if just to see Sir Patrick return to that role (not to mention some of the guest stars over the course of the season). The new characters were fine (Picard's Romulan house staff was awesome, Rios and his holograms were great
[+] spoiler
though him having previous interaction with the synths was a huge (unneeded?) coincidence
, Raffy OK, Agnes maybe a little problematic). The overall season story was a bit messy at times, especially the last two episodes. I mean,
[+] spoiler
the whole Romulan anti-synth thing is fine until you remember that the Feds flagship had a high-ranking AI officer on board for years and multiple interactions with the Roms and it was never really an issue
and also
[+] spoiler
WTF the was the point of those giant orchids but to allow 7 and the Romulan samurai to show up at the end but to make sure the Cube was out of the fight?
And
[+] spoiler
the resolution of all of the big problems at the end was way too pat (Riker re-enlists and shows up! a replacement body is one hand for a dying character!)
but I did really like
[+] spoiler
the moments with Data in the final episode. A lot.
And I liked the fucks.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:38 am ST: Picard was a welcome show if just to see Sir Patrick return to that role (not to mention some of the guest stars over the course of the season). The new characters were fine (Picard's Romulan house staff was awesome, Rios and his holograms were great
[+] spoiler
though him having previous interaction with the synths was a huge (unneeded?) coincidence
, Raffy OK, Agnes maybe a little problematic). The overall season story was a bit messy at times, especially the last two episodes. I mean,
[+] spoiler
the whole Romulan anti-synth thing is fine until you remember that the Feds flagship had a high-ranking AI officer on board for years and multiple interactions with the Roms and it was never really an issue
and also
[+] spoiler
WTF the was the point of those giant orchids but to allow 7 and the Romulan samurai to show up at the end but to make sure the Cube was out of the fight?
And
[+] spoiler
the resolution of all of the big problems at the end was way too pat (Riker re-enlists and shows up! a replacement body is one hand for a dying character!)
but I did really like
[+] spoiler
the moments with Data in the final episode. A lot.
And I liked the fucks.
There's a free trial of CBSAA so I'm waiting on a shitty weekend to binge it.

Do we have any other Trekkies in here? I'm about 3/4 of the way through DS9 right now. Did a rewatch of TNG and then watched Voyager front to back for the first time before I got into DS9.