Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by Pruitt »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:58 am PAW PATROL DEEP DIVE - Sounds like anyone who had a piece of this show is probably bathing in money!
A lot of people are...

In North America, writers are traditionally the low men and women on the totem pole. So, no residuals on this show.

Not that you asked, but I do receive royalties for all the shows I've written for European companies by virtue of the fact that I am a member of the French writers guild. A couple of the old shows I've written do pay fairly nicely. And there is nothing in the world as amazing as getting money for work you did ten years ago.

It's a long-standing issue that the toothless Canadian writers guild refuses to play hardball on. Honestly, if we were getting royalties on Paw Patrol, I probably wouldn't have to work much over the next 5 years or so. But if you guys streamed my old episodes through European providers, it'd really help me out. I can send a list of series' that I get paid on.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Counterpart's premiere was awesome.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:59 pm
Ryan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:58 am PAW PATROL DEEP DIVE - Sounds like anyone who had a piece of this show is probably bathing in money!
A lot of people are...

In North America, writers are traditionally the low men and women on the totem pole. So, no residuals on this show.

Not that you asked, but I do receive royalties for all the shows I've written for European companies by virtue of the fact that I am a member of the French writers guild. A couple of the old shows I've written do pay fairly nicely. And there is nothing in the world as amazing as getting money for work you did ten years ago.

It's a long-standing issue that the toothless Canadian writers guild refuses to play hardball on. Honestly, if we were getting royalties on Paw Patrol, I probably wouldn't have to work much over the next 5 years or so. But if you guys streamed my old episodes through European providers, it'd really help me out. I can send a list of series' that I get paid on.
So how do you get most of your gigs? Is it through the friends-and-colleagues network or are your cranking out spec scripts (which you read about in the sitcom world as how people get there start). I just picture a young Pruitt with a bottle of bourbon, computer, and copies and copies of animated shows to make sure he found the voice of Handy Manny, Doc McStuffins, Rory the Racecar, and Fireman Sam....which would cause a drinking problem. Oh and that one spec script never sent in where Thomas the Tank Engine gets a drinking problem and tells off a George Carlin voiced Sir Topem Hat
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Funny you should ask - just spent the day scrounging around. The Korean show I've been developing hit a bump (Netflix Asia exec fired for sexual improprieties - he was championing this show. So, back to square one as the Koreans now have to sell the idea to this guy's replacement) so, back at it. It's a grind. i love my job, but I hate looking for jobs, which is a part of every writer's life.

A lot of my gigs come through my agents. they are in LA and have cultivated a lot of connections all over Asia. Once I get an introduction, it's up to me to impress the producers through samples of produced shows I've written and through meetings.

There are a number of companies here in Toronto - just a matter of timing and knowing certain people. But even going the friends and colleagues route is tough as there's a lot of competition for each gig. once word gets out that a writer is Story Editing a new series, he or she gets swamped by friends and acquaintances. The hardest part is getting the first 3 series.

In terms of spec scripts, once you've had a couple produced scripts the only time you need to write one is if the show you are trying to get on is in a genre that is not in your portfolio. years ago, I wrote a Blues Clues spec as I hadn't written any pre-school stuff.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you have Amazon Prime and are looking for something quick, breezy and hilarious, check out "Zach Morris Is Trash".

It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like. Each episode is only about 3 to 5 minutes long.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Been sick the last couple of days, and I ended up binge-watching the web-series 'High Maintenance' on HBO. 20 minute or so episodes about a guy who does bicycle weed deliveries in New York (mostly Brooklyn), and uses him to drop into little vignettes about his customers. Pretty interesting...some of them are actually kinda sad...especially the one guy who is taking care of his sick elderly mom, and doesn't smoke pot...he's just using the delivery guy to get some human interaction.

It looks like HBO has picked up the series to make it a regular show now, but I didn't get to any of those yet.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:19 pm If you have Amazon Prime and are looking for something quick, breezy and hilarious, check out "Zach Morris Is Trash".

It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like. Each episode is only about 3 to 5 minutes long.
Those were a great time kill.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:19 pm If you have Amazon Prime and are looking for something quick, breezy and hilarious, check out "Zach Morris Is Trash".

Jesus Christ, I didn't realize how psychopathic and rapey Zach was. Back then, I took him for a mischievous rich kid schemer, but man, Zach Morris was one step away from becoming Patrick Bateman from American Psycho. Whoever made the videos really didn't stretch it to make Zach look that bad.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Is it the same as this series on Youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... VP_puToBfr
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:55 pm

Is it the same as this series on Youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... VP_puToBfr
Probably.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:38 pm Been sick the last couple of days, and I ended up binge-watching the web-series 'High Maintenance' on HBO. 20 minute or so episodes about a guy who does bicycle weed deliveries in New York (mostly Brooklyn), and uses him to drop into little vignettes about his customers. Pretty interesting...some of them are actually kinda sad...especially the one guy who is taking care of his sick elderly mom, and doesn't smoke pot...he's just using the delivery guy to get some human interaction.

It looks like HBO has picked up the series to make it a regular show now, but I didn't get to any of those yet.
Yeah it just started its second season on HBO. The premiere of S2 was one of the best episodes of any show I watch.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I was surprised how affected I was by Season One. It's kind of a cliche but you can just tell sometimes which shows reflect the showrunner(s) putting all of their heart into a show (also felt the same way about Togetherness, which in a lot of ways is a very similar show).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:36 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:38 pm Been sick the last couple of days, and I ended up binge-watching the web-series 'High Maintenance' on HBO. 20 minute or so episodes about a guy who does bicycle weed deliveries in New York (mostly Brooklyn), and uses him to drop into little vignettes about his customers. Pretty interesting...some of them are actually kinda sad...especially the one guy who is taking care of his sick elderly mom, and doesn't smoke pot...he's just using the delivery guy to get some human interaction.

Yeah it just started its second season on HBO. The premiere of S2 was one of the best episodes of any show I watch.
I'll have to check it out. I was surprised by how effective the first season was. I was expecting it just to be standard Stoner humor, and there was some of that, but a lot of the episodes had a bunch of pathos built in (like the episode with the couple who moved further out in Brooklyn and discovered that none of their friends would come visit them).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:47 pm
I'll have to check it out. I was surprised by how effective the first season was. I was expecting it just to be standard Stoner humor, and there was some of that, but a lot of the episodes had a bunch of pathos built in (like the episode with the couple who moved further out in Brooklyn and discovered that none of their friends would come visit them).
Excellent example, and sooo true. When I started dating my wife, I was in Hoboken and she was in Midtown. It was a 10 minute ride on the PATH train, which runs constantly, and she was a short walk to the PATH station. She refused to come out for months, and her friend said she needed a passport to visit. I had friends move to Queens. A guy I was friends with since we were 6, we went to college together, both lived in the City... I've seen him once in the last 15 years.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

God damn, I love The Good Place.

Was wondering how'd they'd stretch, anxious for it to return.

(Also great to see "Sam" as a bartender again.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:54 pm God damn, I love The Good Place.

I liked it then hated how last season ended.

But gave it another shot and it has been really good this year. A comedy that has me wondering what is going to happen next - can't think of another show like that.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:54 pm God damn, I love The Good Place.

It's phenomenal. I love everyone in it. I just read an interview with the girl who plays Tohoni. You know she'd never acted once in her life before this?

Also, she's awesome...
But if Jameela Jamil ever actually met Tahani al-Jamil? “I would punch her in the tit,” she declares, unprompted. “One hundred percent.” (One tit, she clarifies a moment later.)
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Motherfuckin' Rules.

File in the not guilty crush thread. Don't get me started on Bad Janet.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

OK, one more since you asked.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I like D'Arcy Carden just fine, but she's no Jameela Jamil. She seems like the kind of woman that could turn you into a puddle if you actually met her in real life.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:17 pm Motherfuckin' Rules.
But that's not Tohoni.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:22 pm I like D'Arcy Carden just fine, but she's no Jameela Jamil. She seems like the kind of woman that could turn you into a puddle if you actually met her in real life.
Respectfully disagree, though Jamil is a 9.8/10 Janets. KB still hitting a strong 9.2 on the D'Arcy meter for me.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:22 pm I like D'Arcy Carden just fine, but she's no Jameela Jamil. She seems like the kind of woman that could turn you into a puddle if you actually met her in real life.
Jameela Jamil makes my heart and loins sing a very happy tune.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

and I'm an Eleanor guy..

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So we could conceivably double date then!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Kristen Bell is a Lions fan* so I should be all-in on that (and she is insanely attractive) but I've always had a thing for south Asians.

* - Her husband, Dax Shepard, went to high school in suburban Detroit with a good friend of mine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:23 pm Kristen Bell is a Lions fan* so I should be all-in on that (and she is insanely attractive) but I've always had a thing for south Asians.

* - Her husband, Dax Shepard, went to high school in suburban Detroit with a good friend of mine.
I think Kristin Bell is super attractive, but her husband sure seems like a lunkhead. I guess she knew I was married and off the market.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:23 pm Dax Shepard, went to high school in suburban Detroit with a good friend of mine.

Dax is an irrational hatred thing of mine. Wife used to watch some show that he was on, I maybe watched 15 minutes total in passing over multiple years. Maybe it was his character or the frequency of his voice or something, but I just fucking hate the guy.

But South Asians. Yes, I am in on that.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:19 pm So we could conceivably double date then!
Reggae show?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:32 am
Pruitt wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:19 pm So we could conceivably double date then!
Reggae show?
See you (and the ladies) in April!

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:31 am
brian wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:23 pm Dax Shepard, went to high school in suburban Detroit with a good friend of mine.

Dax is an irrational hatred thing of mine. Wife used to watch some show that he was on, I maybe watched 15 minutes total in passing over multiple years. Maybe it was his character or the frequency of his voice or something, but I just fucking hate the guy.

But South Asians. Yes, I am in on that.
He's actually a pretty decent guy. The lunkhead thing is partly an act, partly not but he's a really sweet, good-natured guy apparently. Even paid for entire class to attend their 20th HS reunion (with KBell in tow) and there was like 700 people in that class so that was not a small gesture.

ETA: Guessing the show was Parenthood? I've never seen that one but I know a lot of people like it.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

He was flawless in Idiocracy.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Bell is a national treasure, one of my absolute favorites. And I get that a lot of people don't like Dax, but he seems like a genuinely good dude.

Here, watch this and tell me you don't want to hang out with these two awesome crazy people:

You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Dax in employee of the month is what you think he would be like...but every time you read about him he comes across as this absolutely solid person. Gives lots of time to causes, makes movies he just wants to make to drive cars around, and his family focus (and the no kid paparazzi efforts have been good too).
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Not sure I've seen Dax in anything but this.

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:51 am Not sure I've seen Dax in anything but this.
If you've never seen Idiocracy you need to rectify that pretty soon. (Of course, we're basically living it now, so maybe not so much.)
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Wasn't he one of the Jackasses too?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:20 pm Wasn't he one of the Jackasses too?
Maybe but I think you are thinking about Punk'd where he got his start.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:21 pm
Jerloma wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:20 pm Wasn't he one of the Jackasses too?
Maybe but I think you are thinking about Punk'd where he got his start.
I doubt it, but yes, he was the main prank guy in the first season of Punk'd. I've always had a great impression of him. He always comes across as easy going and having no ego. I've seen people post stuff he puts on social media, and he doesn't take himself seriously at all. I recall them doing a lot of personal charity work under the radar. Not donating money, but actually getting involved to help people and shit. Wish I could remember details, and not worth looking it up. I also get the sense that they are trying to raise their kids as normal as possible, and work their schedules to spend time with their kids and be involved.
-Pruitt