Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:02 pm
Pruitt wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:24 pm I'm not a Weezer fan, but I'm pretty sure that other bands have done this sort of album.

The Ramones "Acid Eaters" was actually excellent.
Remember when Ryan Adams did an entire Taylor Swift album?
That was good. So was the Rage Against The Machine covers album. I’m dubious about Weezer but I’ll give it a listen.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Funny to just now see that skit, I must have missed it when it first got posted. I saw the other day that Weezer put out a new album, so I fired it up on Spotify. After the second song, I realized it was all covers, so I went back to check their full discography. I was shocked at how many albums they've put out. I had no idea! Like Leslie Jones, I really loved the first three, but never really listened to anything after that. I'm going to work my way forward from Blue on Spotify and see how the newer stuff grabs me.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I really liked Maladroit.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:15 pm Funny to just now see that skit, I must have missed it when it first got posted. I saw the other day that Weezer put out a new album, so I fired it up on Spotify. After the second song, I realized it was all covers, so I went back to check their full discography. I was shocked at how many albums they've put out. I had no idea! Like Leslie Jones, I really loved the first three, but never really listened to anything after that. I'm going to work my way forward from Blue on Spotify and see how the newer stuff grabs me.
The Green LP is decent enough, but IMO Weezer took a debilitating blow when Matt Sharp left after Pinkerton.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I like the Green album.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Season finale of The Good Place made my living room all kinds of dusty. Definitely rivals some all time sitcoms for me.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:44 am Season finale of The Good Place made my living room all kinds of dusty. Definitely rivals some all time sitcoms for me.
Agree.

I liked the first season but hated the first season finale. But it soon became clear that the creators and writers had different type of show in mind than the one I was expecting. It just keeps getting better and better.

(Unlike Blake Bortles!)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:44 am Season finale of The Good Place made my living room all kinds of dusty. Definitely rivals some all time sitcoms for me.
We just finally caught up on that last night ourselves. Agreed. Probably the best comedy on TV right now. I know his shows don't do monster ratings, but I don't get how Mike Schur isn't considered on a par with some of the great showrunners of the last 30 years like David Chase, Vince Gilligan and David Simon. His track record is impeccable.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:13 am
We just finally caught up on that last night ourselves. Agreed. Probably the best comedy on TV right now. I know his shows don't do monster ratings, but I don't get how Mike Schur isn't considered on a par with some of the great showrunners of the last 30 years like David Chase, Vince Gilligan and David Simon. His track record is impeccable.
He just apparently got greenlighted for a new show with Kal Penn. I've enjoyed almost everything he has ever touched.
[+] spoiler
That stupid montage and Chidi speaking so frankly after it got me good. I know I'm still a newbie in the marriage game but I couldn't help thinking about how hard it would be to have to lose all memory of the last 6 years with my wife. I was a mess.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:13 am
His shows have a very quirky comedic tone that not many people get. Good Place requires a certain amount of intelligence and you need to pay attention to understand what is happening and to get the quick and subtle jokes thrown in. I can't wait to rewatch from the beginning after the series ends, because there will be so many more layers that weren't possible to get when the episodes first aired. I'm sure the writers will play off of past events in yet unwritten episodes that will create layers not even they anticipated at the time. I was trying to get my parents to go back and watch it, but they saw the first 3 or 4 episodes and got bored with it. Explaining how the show completely revamped and flipped everything on its head just made them even less interested. I get it. I'm just happy my wife appreciates the show, though not as much as I do. I can't tell you how many times she has asked, "why is Blake Bortles funny?" It's something I can't explain, but my son, who does not watch the show, saw a Bortles t-shirt jersey in a store, and really wanted to buy it for the comedy value. My wife didn't get it (the comedy or the shirt).
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He's also in the midst of one of the most drawn out twitter meltdowns I've ever seen. Two plus years at this point.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I like everything Schur does, and it's not just because he's from the greatest city on the planet.

I think there's something to the fact that both The Office and P&R were not received well by the critics in the first year, but hung in and turned into all-time classics over lengthy runs. (Kind of like Cheers, btw.) There's a huge element to that with The Good Place. My wife and I gave up on it, but all I hear is that I would love it and need to give it a shot. I definitely will.

And while we're on Schur, if you haven't seen the episode of The Black Mirror he wrote with Rashida Jones... Must see. Absolutely brilliant and starring the lovely Richie Cunningham's kid.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:14 am I like everything Schur does, and it's not just because he's from the greatest city on the planet.

I think there's something to the fact that both The Office and P&R were not received well by the critics in the first year, but hung in and turned into all-time classics over lengthy runs. (Kind of like Cheers, btw.) There's a huge element to that with The Good Place. My wife and I gave up on it, but all I hear is that I would love it and need to give it a shot. I definitely will.

And while we're on Schur, if you haven't seen the episode of The Black Mirror he wrote with Rashida Jones... Must see. Absolutely brilliant and starring the lovely Richie Cunningham's kid.
Oh shit, the episode where every personal interaction is rated on a social media app! Didn't realize they wrote it. That is one (of many) episodes that really sticks with me. I just saw a piece about China's Social Credit System that is somewhat similar to this (Vice, maybe?), and it is fucking disturbing and not outside the realm of possibility.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:09 am He's also in the midst of one of the most drawn out twitter meltdowns I've ever seen. Two plus years at this point.
I follow him on Twitter and I'm not sure what you mean. He's pissed about Trump, but if that's a meltdown that describes about tens of millions of people.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I like The Good Place, too.

Anybody else catch the premiere of I Am The Night ? Quirky neo-noir in an LA Confidential vein, based on events around the guy they claim was behind the Black Dahlia murder years ago. I thought Chris Pine was really good.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:14 am I like everything Schur does, and it's not just because he's from the greatest city on the planet.
You need to listen to the Joe Posnanski podcast then. Schur is the regular co-host.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:09 pmI follow him on Twitter and I'm not sure what you mean. He's pissed about Trump, but if that's a meltdown that describes about tens of millions of people.
Anyone responding to Trump's tweets comes off as somewhat slipping, and even moreso when its a comedy writer. I've unfollowed and refollowed a few times when he becomes too much.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

TGP is not only hilarious but it might be the most sound, complete rebuttal of objective morality and carrot/stick ethics that I've ever seen.

"There's this chicken sandwich that if you eat it, it means you hate gay people, but here's the thing...it's absolutely delicious!"
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:20 pm
brian wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:09 pmI follow him on Twitter and I'm not sure what you mean. He's pissed about Trump, but if that's a meltdown that describes about tens of millions of people.
Anyone responding to Trump's tweets comes off as somewhat slipping, and even moreso when its a comedy writer. I've unfollowed and refollowed a few times when he becomes too much.
Fair enough, but sometimes it just feels better to shout into the void, as pointless as that might be. I wouldn't call that a meltdown personally, but YMMV.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:59 am

Oh shit, the episode where every personal interaction is rated on a social media app! Didn't realize they wrote it. That is one (of many) episodes that really sticks with me. I just saw a piece about China's Social Credit System that is somewhat similar to this (Vice, maybe?), and it is fucking disturbing and not outside the realm of possibility.
That episode was brilliant - had no idea he wrote it.

And Brooklyn Nine Nine is still very funny. Not perfect of course, but the creators were geniuses if only for putting Andre Braugher in a comedic role.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:59 am

I think Reply All did something? I do know I saw or heard something on it and I had the same thought. Might've just been an NPR story.

Shit, now that's gonna bug me.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Enjoyed the first two episodes of Black Monday.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:59 am Oh shit, the episode where every personal interaction is rated on a social media app! Didn't realize they wrote it. That is one (of many) episodes that really sticks with me. I just saw a piece about China's Social Credit System that is somewhat similar to this (Vice, maybe?), and it is fucking disturbing and not outside the realm of possibility.
From this thread, we watched that episode last night. The GF didn't really like it...she couldn't find any sympathy towards the Bryce Dallas Howard character.

But I have to admit....I was surprised by the end. I was expecting that as she crashed the wedding, I was expecting her to start really teeing off on Naomi, and have all the guests start to give her 5 star ratings.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So I mentioned here a couple times how I'm a fan of the CW show Riverdale. But when I take a step back from it, I get to realize how bonkers the plotlines are. I'm chatting with a friend of mine about it, and he mentions he never saw it.

Me: It's a modern retelling of the characters from the Archie comics, except it's a hardcore teen drama.

Him: Wait, the Archies? The 1950s cartoon with the high school kids?

Me: Yeah, except they made it dark. (minor spoilers ahead)
[+] spoiler
The first season was really good, as they go to solve one of their classmates' murder. The second season is a little all over the place, as Archie tries to impress Veronica's dad by joining his Mafia family, Betty is on the case solving a serial killer, and Jughead joins and ascends his father's gang from the wrong side of the tracks. The third season is a little more grounded, as Archie is framed and convicted of murder and joins an underground fight club, Veronica opens a speakeasy to get back at her dad, and Betty and Jughead are investigating a Dungeons and Dragons-type game that has links to a drug empire and demons.
... Actually, come to think of it... it's pretty far-fetched, but they at least are up front about it.

Him: ... I'm still trying to process this with the 50's cartoon.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"The Other Two" has been very, very funny so far (two episodes have aired).

There were a couple of scenes in the 2nd episode that nearly had me in tears they were so hysterical.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:52 am "The Other Two" has been very, very funny so far (two episodes have aired).

There were a couple of scenes in the 2nd episode that nearly had me in tears they were so hysterical.
I watched the first episode and liked it. Haven't seen the second yet (Had to go out of town).
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:46 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:52 am "The Other Two" has been very, very funny so far (two episodes have aired).

I watched the first episode and liked it. Haven't seen the second yet (Had to go out of town).
It's better than the first.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Half way through Russian Doll and really enjoying it. I had forgotten what Lyonne’s voice sounded like, so that took 1/2 and episode to get used to, but it’s a cool show. Hope it pays off.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:56 pm Half way through Russian Doll and really enjoying it. I had forgotten what Lyonne’s voice sounded like, so that took 1/2 and episode to get used to, but it’s a cool show. Hope it pays off.
Yeah, we watching it all in one sitting last night (it's only about 3.5 hours) and was really, really impressed. Fascinated to see what they do for the next season. I suspect the homeless guy is going to play a role in explaining everything that's going on at some point.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Last night, I was thrilled to hear a recent DMB song (That Girl is You) on a new Simpsons episode. A Venn Diagram showing people that still religiously watch news Simpsons episodes and still get excited about new DMB songs may just have me alone in the middle. This also would have been cool to happen in the mid-nineties, which made me feel old.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:33 pm Last night, I was thrilled to hear a recent DMB song (That Girl is You) on a new Simpsons episode. A Venn Diagram showing people that still religiously watch news Simpsons episodes and still get excited about new DMB songs may just have me alone in the middle. This also would have been cool to happen in the mid-nineties, which made me feel old.
I think you might be the only person in either circle, let alone both.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Hulu has made a "Catch 22" mini-series...with Clooney and Kyle Chandler.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:03 pm
rass wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:56 pm Half way through Russian Doll and really enjoying it. I had forgotten what Lyonne’s voice sounded like, so that took 1/2 and episode to get used to, but it’s a cool show. Hope it pays off.
Yeah, we watching it all in one sitting last night (it's only about 3.5 hours) and was really, really impressed. Fascinated to see what they do for the next season. I suspect the homeless guy is going to play a role in explaining everything that's going on at some point.
Wow, what the fuck did I just watch? That was absolutely amazing, but I don't know what just happened! So much... so cool. I went to bed at the end of the 7th ep, and that was a mistake. Just disturbing, and I couldn't stop thinking about it all day, and her restart song kept playing in my head as I tried to sleep. So many turns, each episode was so different. And I can't believe Amy Poehler was behind it!
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The best show on TV is back next week!

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

It drives me crazy that I have only seen a couple "Documentary Now" shows. It is not aired here.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:46 pm It drives me crazy that I have only seen a couple "Documentary Now" shows. It is not aired here.
Is it on Netflix Canada? (it is on Netflix US).
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:48 pm
Pruitt wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:46 pm It drives me crazy that I have only seen a couple "Documentary Now" shows. It is not aired here.
Is it on Netflix Canada? (it is on Netflix US).
No, sadly.

And not on ifc Canada (which is a ridiculously lame station)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, I've been spending some time in New Mexico with my ill father. Going back on Sunday. It is maddening being in the room with my parents as they "watch" tv. I put that in quotes, because my my father changes channels every minute or so, so you never get continuity on any program. Then, there is their choice of programming. Have you ever watched The Bachelor? Gotta be a new low for our society. I had to leave the room. Right now, the featured Bachelor is a good looking guy who is regularly referred to as "a football star". I'd never heard of him so I looked him up. He is a former undrafted free agent who had a couple cups of coffee on practice squads, but never appeared in any games.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:44 pm So, I've been spending some time in New Mexico with my ill father. Going back on Sunday. It is maddening being in the room with my parents as they "watch" tv. I put that in quotes, because my my father changes channels every minute or so, so you never get continuity on any program. Then, there is their choice of programming. Have you ever watched The Bachelor? Gotta be a new low for our society. I had to leave the room. Right now, the featured Bachelor is a good looking guy who is regularly referred to as "a football star". I'd never heard of him so I looked him up. He is a former undrafted free agent who had a couple cups of coffee on practice squads, but never appeared in any games.
For me it was Fixer Upper Marathons (and of course the nightly news)