Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by mister d »

I think he was in the right with regards to what set it off, a disclaimer basically absolving SNL from stealing anything they want from your entire online history.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:21 am I think he was in the right with regards to what set it off, a disclaimer basically absolving SNL from stealing anything they want from your entire online history.
This is the kind of lawyer stuff that always is a headache. The NBC lawyers probably wanted that in so they have protection from ending up in litigation when the folks evaluating talent are looking at previous work/funny social media (which is a big thing comics do). However, lawyers always write that stuff in the most overarching way. If you were negotiating a contract 1 v 1 you would work the language to something acceptable (or were an organization with a big enough legal team/clout to say we can't agree to these terms but want to do business). However, when you don't have a counter party to negotiate, you get these big overarching statements that stick. Kinda surprise that agents aren't helping fight that battle.

So I also get Che's point of "We would not steal your stuff....don't be overally paranoid..it is just lawyers being lawyers"....but that is not what he said and social media is a hard place to have reasonable debate. Now anonymous web forums...whole other story.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think stuff gets stolen off twitter all the time and its more or less impossible to prove because how do you really argue "my idea was completely unique, no one else could have had it". If you're deep enough in something, like say NY Rangers twitter, you'll see strongly hashed out proposals or comparisons end up as beat journalist two liners a few days later. Its almost impossible to believe it was independent thought over reading all the same stuff I read, but its also impossible to prove.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Hoog will be playing Governor Zack Morris’ son, Mac, and Cameli will be playing Jamie Spano, the “sensitive man-child son” of Jessie Spano. The others will be playing students from low-income high schools who get sent off to the prestigious Bayside High after Governor Zack Morris shuts down the schools that the poor kids go to, forcing him to come up with a plan to send them somewhere else.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I enjoyed the first couple of episodes of "Avenue 5" with Hugh Laurie.

Definitely something a bit different, and pretty sharp as well.

Also, this week's episode of "The Good Place" was really good.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:46 pm I enjoyed the first couple of episodes of "Avenue 5" with Hugh Laurie.

The coffins orbiting the ship is sublime.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:46 pm I enjoyed the first couple of episodes of "Avenue 5" with Hugh Laurie.

Saw a commercial, is it supposed to be a cruise ship in space?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:56 pm

Yeah.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That is correct. And since Ianucci (VEEP showrunner for the first five seasons) is on it, it has plenty of the same kind of commentary about issues relevant to today without making it too obvious. And it's funny.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:41 pm

That is correct. And since Ianucci (VEEP showrunner for the first five seasons) is on it, it has plenty of the same kind of commentary about issues relevant to today without making it too obvious. And it's funny.
Ianucci also made the movie 'Death of Stalin', which is a great dark comedy.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Good Place absolutely stuck the landing.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:03 am Good Place absolutely stuck the landing.
It certainly did.

I got the feeling that they always knew how the series would end. The last season seemed like they were spinning their wheels until the could get to the last 3 or 4 episodes.
[+] spoiler
"Take it sleazy!"
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:03 pm
Ianucci also made the movie 'Death of Stalin', which is a great dark comedy.
[/quote]

A fantastic movie.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Yeah, definitely. Sad it's over, but glad it didn't drag too long. Enjoyed the post show more than I thought I would too.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watched the first episode of "His Dark Materials" last night.

Really enjoyed it and will be watching the series.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I fell asleep during the first episode and never went back.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

phxgators wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:03 pm
Yeah, definitely. Sad it's over, but glad it didn't drag too long. Enjoyed the post show more than I thought I would too.
Just gutted. It was a truly beautiful story and watching it with my wife really moved me. Everyone was very much true to their character to the end. It was very dusty in here for almost 2 hours.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:48 am Watched the first episode of "His Dark Materials" last night.

Really enjoyed it and will be watching the series.
My wife and oldest son are big fans of both the show and books.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:01 am
phxgators wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:03 pm
Just gutted. It was a truly beautiful story and watching it with my wife really moved me. Everyone was very much true to their character to the end. It was very dusty in here for almost 2 hours.
I liked it but it wasn’t as impactful when I didn’t realize it was the last scene. Watching it on DVR and I thought there were at least two more commercial breaks not knowing about the q&a.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Around 9:40 this show starts featuring the kids game show ("Uh Oh!") that I created back in the 90s. It was a bit of a cultural phenomenon among the 6-12 year old set at the time. It was later a big hit in reruns. People in their late teens and into their late 20s freak out when I tell them that it was my brainchild.

My first on camera interview.

Episode 6 in case the link messes up.

https://www.canadasgameshows.com/
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Nice hair! And you looked great in the gimp outfit.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

duff wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:55 pm Nice hair! And you looked great in the gimp outfit.
Ha!

The Punisher was this guy...

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:31 am Around 9:40 this show starts featuring the kids game show ("Uh Oh!") that I created back in the 90s. It was a bit of a cultural phenomenon among the 6-12 year old set at the time. It was later a big hit in reruns. People in their late teens and into their late 20s freak out when I tell them that it was my brainchild.

Holy shit, that was awesome! Congrats, that must have been a hell of a run. Such an interesting documentary, makes me wish I experienced the show as a kid. Going to college in Buffalo, we had 2 or 3 Canadian TV channels in the dorm, and I always loved Canadian TV. Some of the shows were legit great, and some were campy hilarity, plus Hockey Night in Canada was the greatest, and curling on Saturday mornings was the best way to nurse a hangover.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:54 pm
Pruitt wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:31 am Around 9:40 this show starts featuring the kids game show ("Uh Oh!") that I created back in the 90s. It was a bit of a cultural phenomenon among the 6-12 year old set at the time. It was later a big hit in reruns. People in their late teens and into their late 20s freak out when I tell them that it was my brainchild.

Holy shit, that was awesome! Congrats, that must have been a hell of a run. Such an interesting documentary, makes me wish I experienced the show as a kid. Going to college in Buffalo, we had 2 or 3 Canadian TV channels in the dorm, and I always loved Canadian TV. Some of the shows were legit great, and some were campy hilarity, plus Hockey Night in Canada was the greatest, and curling on Saturday mornings was the best way to nurse a hangover.
Canadian TV was so bizarre back in the day.

If you've ever watched "SCTV" you can get a taste of it by some of the parodies they were doing.

This game show was my first gig in tv. Writer/lame performer on a comedy/game show.

So long ago that it barely exists on YouTube. (I'm the guy in the red vest and hard hat dancing at the end.)

EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Do you have any Alan Thicke stories?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

We didn't get you here in Florida. That was awesome.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:05 pm Do you have any Alan Thicke stories?
Never met him, but the guy I wrote "Test Pattern" with worked with him a couple of times.

Sadly, no gossip. He said Alan Thicke was a super nice guy.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Tell us the slime recipe!!!!
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Speaking of Canadian shows. I had no idea that Mr. Dressup and Mr. Rogers had a show together on the CBC called Mrrogers in the early 60s. They split up and then created the shows they're known for. Also, the CBC created the majority of models and puppets for MRN.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:18 pm Never met him, but the guy I wrote "Test Pattern" with worked with him a couple of times..
Guessing it's a Canadian version of Remote Control?

I'll have to ask my brother if he remembers any of these shows. My parents were very late cable adaptors so we basically had CBS, CBC, CTV, and a few French stations.

ETA: sweet speakers, and even sweeter Tottenham sign.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

There were similarities to "Remote Control," but we took it as far as our cheap little studio could take things.

As for "Mr. Dressup," I didn't know that he worked with Mr. Rogers. Very similar in tone and content though.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:01 pm

Canadian TV was so bizarre back in the day.

If you've ever watched "SCTV" you can get a taste of it by some of the parodies they were doing.

This game show was my first gig in tv. Writer/lame performer on a comedy/game show.

So long ago that it barely exists on YouTube. (I'm the guy in the red vest and hard hat dancing at the end.)

This is way cool.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Awesome, Frank. And holy shit, I've played fantasy football with The Punisher!

It's so weird that I've never heard of any of these shows but if I grew up about 3 hours further north, I probably would have lived for them
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt - did you ever work with Robin Sparkles?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:56 pm Pruitt - did you ever work with Robin Sparkles?
Little known fact in the states, Robin Sparkles was most likely based on Allanis Morrisette who was a teenie bopper semi-star up here well before she became the voice of her generation...

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:59 pm
tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:56 pm Pruitt - did you ever work with Robin Sparkles?
Little known fact in the states, Robin Sparkles was most likely based on Allanis Morrisette who was a teenie bopper semi-star up here well before she became the voice of her generation...

I prefer her later work.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sandcastles in the Sand?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:30 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:59 pm

I prefer her later work.
She popped by YTV a couple of times when I worked there. YTV was the place for Canadian tweens from the late 80s until the late 90s.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Joe Pera Talks With You is a fantastic watch.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This is a trillion dollar idea so how about The Swamp collaborate on a show about the world’s most bad-ass assassin but who is so plugged into his self-awareness he can go to places with “real” Americans and just chill out and talk about legit idiotic stuff in Jacksonville FL (as an example - part of the show is lampooning “real” America.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!