Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by brian »

I like that it's a "realistic" view of police work. (Or as realistic as you can make it on TV.)

Lab tests take a few days (or weeks) to come back. They spend a lot of time just Googling shit or searching public records online to try and get answers about who owns a piece of land. It's definitely a much more realistic and nuanced view of police and police work than something like SVU or literally pretty much any show on a major network (this influence definitely comes from Connelly and his novels).

I think it really picked up steam in season 3.
[+] spoiler
I was pretty impressed after J. Edgar got shot
how it spent a good part of the episode showing what being the kid of a cop is probably really like between the discussion with J. Edgar's kids (and the older one even starting to show a bit of distrust of the police which really rang true) and the discussion between Maddie and Grace's daughter.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Anyone else watching I'm Sorry on truTV? It's like Seinfeld, Curb, and the League, with a female comedy writer as the lead. Andrea Savage, Tom Everett Scott, Jason Mantzoukis, and Martin Mull are all regular characters. Seven episodes in and there are smaller appearances from Steve Zissis, Lizzy Caplan, Judy Greer, Nick Kroll, and Paul Scheer.

The Executive Producer list is a who's who as well Will Ferrell, Adam McKay, the Lonely Island guys, among others.

I really like it, and it was just renewed for a second season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdzxrlQg1vM
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote:Anyone else watching I'm Sorry on truTV? It's like Seinfeld, Curb, and the League, with a female comedy writer as the lead. Andrea Savage, Tom Everett Scott, Jason Mantzoukis, and Martin Mull are all regular characters. Seven episodes in and there are smaller appearances from Steve Zissis, Lizzy Caplan, Judy Greer, Nick Kroll, and Paul Scheer.

The Executive Producer list is a who's who as well Will Ferrell, Adam McKay, the Lonely Island guys, among others.

Yup. I appreciate the vileness, but it's a little too cringe-inducing for me.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Anyone else watching I'm Sorry on truTV? It's like Seinfeld, Curb, and the League, with a female comedy writer as the lead. Andrea Savage, Tom Everett Scott, Jason Mantzoukis, and Martin Mull are all regular characters. Seven episodes in and there are smaller appearances from Steve Zissis, Lizzy Caplan, Judy Greer, Nick Kroll, and Paul Scheer.

Yup. I appreciate the vileness, but it's a little too cringe-inducing for me.

With you on that. I'm getting old. I also think I've reached maximum Mandzoukas.

But on a more positive note, I binged Rick and Morty last night and twice had trouble breathing due to laughing so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw1cdRew-Zg
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
brian wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Anyone else watching "Snowfall" on FX? Looking for an outside opinion on it.

You never said where you land on it. Interested to know.

One foot in and one foot out. The preview for next week's episode has me staying in after being about to jump out part way through the most recent episode, but I'm starting to feel like I'm getting suckered in by the previews week after week. I'm hardly watching any series right now ("Animal Kingdom" - which is entertaining, but calling it good is a stretch - and "Jim Jefferies Show"), but I am close to cutting "Snowfall" loose even though I am getting little from it.

Shortly after I posted about the show, I checked the AV Club and saw they were reviewing it. I read the five episode reviews (problems with story lines, the issues with a lack of emotional involvement with characters, particularly Teddy) and found myself falling in line with a lot of thoughts.

For whatever it's worth, a couple of writers I respect (Sepinwall, Seitz) said the second half of the season gets much better.

Three episodes to go with this season and I think I will hang in there, in spite of the fact that I find Franklin to be pretty stupid (I thought about naive, but we're past that) and that Teddy will inevitably screw up whatever he is trying to do. If it wasn't on FX, I'd be out.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We are watching "Handmaids Tale" (my GF loves the book) and all I can think is that the show must make Mike Pence super horny.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It's not fucking Young and the Restless, Dave. You don't need a disclaimer.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Season Four trailer for BoJack is out.

https://twitter.com/RaphaelBW/status/900734890563350529
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Finished up Stranger Things this week. I liked it!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Jerloma wrote:It's not fucking Young and the Restless, Dave. You don't need a disclaimer.

I think it's because Atwood is Canadian.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Jerloma wrote:It's not fucking Young and the Restless, Dave. You don't need a disclaimer.

Hah....yeah, didn't phrase that right. I love the book too, but I haven't read it in probably 20 years (at least). The GF did a huge paper on it just a few years ago when she went back to school, so she remembers it far better then I do.

All that said, its really good. Elisabeth Moss is a great actor.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Has anyone watched "The Defiant Ones" on HBO? 4 episode series about record producer Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre. Pretty cool show, well worth checking out.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I have not, but I've heard good things.

Steven Hyden did an interview with Adam Granduciel about the War on Drugs new album, and the article makes a point about Adam's music nerdiness because of how he was pissed about a comment Iovine made in The Defiant Ones. Apparently, in TDO, Iovine claimed that Springsteen spent weeks trying to get a drum sound right while recording Born to Run, and in a documentary about Darkness on the Edge of Town, Iovine made the same claim about that album.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote:I have not, but I've heard good things.

Steven Hyden did an interview with Adam Granduciel about the War on Drugs new album, and the article makes a point about Adam's music nerdiness because of how he was pissed about a comment Iovine made in The Defiant Ones. Apparently, in TDO, Iovine claimed that Springsteen spent weeks trying to get a drum sound right while recording Born to Run, and in a documentary about Darkness on the Edge of Town, Iovine made the same claim about that album.

Knowing how meticulous Springsteen was about recording those albums, he probably did the same thing for both.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Today is a good day. Because this hit my email inbox:

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
brian wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:"Snowfall"

For whatever it's worth, a couple of writers I respect (Sepinwall, Seitz) said the second half of the season gets much better.

Three episodes to go with this season and I think I will hang in there, in spite of the fact that I find Franklin to be pretty stupid (I thought about naive, but we're past that) and that Teddy will inevitably screw up whatever he is trying to do. If it wasn't on FX, I'd be out.

Out. Just need to delete the season pass.

Franklin is stupid (hey, I keep getting my ass kicked and robbed, yet I'm going to walk around these shitty neighborhoods in a completely foreign city in the middle of the night with my backpack, making me an obvious target) and completely lucks into finding out about crack (I highly doubt they'll ever re-visit the Black Panthers storyline again), although the trippy, cracked-out white girl does the best job living up to the name of "manic pixie dream girl" in the history of the type. Yet, somehow, in the season finale, Franklin does a 180 and grows up, turning into a polished small-scale drug kingpin in the span of about two days (it's not all his uncle's influence).

Just let me know at what point late in season two where Franklin's mom gets strung out on crack (and Franklin's skinny friend with the bucket hat will do it, too).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Finished Season 2 of F is for Family, Bill Burr's animated show on Netflix. I liked Season 1, but Season 2 was a huge jump in quality. I love the new platforms for shows, as they were able to essentially make the entire season a 5 hour long episode with neat breaks. If you like Burr, this show is a must watch. As an added bonus, they have several legit LOL jokes at the expense of a sad, kindly elderly holocaust survivor. If you can make me laugh at a holocaust joke, you are a true comedic genius.

I'm 5 or 6 years late, but started watching The Americans, and I was instantly sucked in and blown away. I was excited to see it when it first came out, but my wife wanted to watch it with me, but never actually wanted to watch it, so it fell off the DVR. I always thought Keri Russell was cute, but she is so fucking sexy in this show.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BoJack officially renewed for Season Five.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote:BoJack officially renewed for Season Five.

How's season 4? I've been too busy to properly binge.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote:

How's season 4? I've been too busy to properly binge.

Believe it or not, me too. I've been on the road for the last two weeks. I'm planning on blazing up all weekend and binging BoJack after the CMU and Michigan games are done on Saturday.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I've somehow managed to avoid spoilers but I can't depend on that luck to last forever.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

https://twitter.com/BoJackHorseman/stat ... 1933689857
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote:

Hah....yeah, didn't phrase that right. I love the book too, but I haven't read it in probably 20 years (at least). The GF did a huge paper on it just a few years ago when she went back to school, so she remembers it far better then I do.

Once again, thanks J-lo!

We just finished this up last night. Hoo boy. I know it's been said a million times now, but living in the Trump era... This show freaks me the fuck out. For folks that know the book, are they still within its confines, or are we about to get into uncharted waters?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Oh, and while I'm here:

I'm going to give a highly qualified thumbs up for the Netflix Original "American Vandal." If you haven't heard about it, it's a send up of Making of a Murderer and Serial (and other real life detective/documentary films.) It's pretty god damn funny, but you have to be OK with some pretty sophomoric humor (I'll freely admit this weakness).

I mean, the entire plot revolves around who at Hanover High spray painted dicks on 29 cars in the teacher parking lot.

But with that qualification... It's pretty well done, if maybe a little obvious with some of the "twists" and/or points in the case that come up for scrutiny. That said, if you are taking it as seriously as you watched real documentaries, you are a) doing it wrong and b) falling for the trap they are setting.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'll second the recommendation for "American Vandal." Very clever.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:

Once again, thanks J-lo!

We just finished this up last night. Hoo boy. I know it's been said a million times now, but living in the Trump era... This show freaks me the fuck out. For folks that know the book, are they still within its confines, or are we about to get into uncharted waters?

This article is a good read and I think answers your questions.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/8-questions-we- ... 1796111126

That finale was incredible, wasn't it?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My wife says the Handmaid's Tale show is pretty true to the book.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Oh, and while I'm here:

I'm going to give a highly qualified thumbs up for the Netflix Original "American Vandal." If you haven't heard about it, it's a send up of Making of a Murderer and Serial (and other real life detective/documentary films.) It's pretty god damn funny, but you have to be OK with some pretty sophomoric humor (I'll freely admit this weakness).

I mean, the entire plot revolves around who at Hanover High spray painted dicks on 29 cars in the teacher parking lot.

But with that qualification... It's pretty well done, if maybe a little obvious with some of the "twists" and/or points in the case that come up for scrutiny. That said, if you are taking it as seriously as you watched real documentaries, you are a) doing it wrong and b) falling for the trap they are setting.

We were all over American Vandal a week and a half ago in the Balls and Cock thread. Try to keep up! :^)

My daughter and I have watched six episodes so far. It is great.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote:My wife says the Handmaid's Tale show is pretty true to the book.

The cult that inspired the book was located in my small town. Frightening. I need to read up. According to friends who were here at the time, I think the 1980s, they made a play for political power in town, and were essentially driven out.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

An episode of CYE broke out on Seth Myers last night and it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW8z0jeCoJo
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I may have mentioned this show before, but Toast of London is now on Netflix.

Absolutely absurd English comedy from one of the creators and writers of the greatest comedy of all time Father Ted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYjE8wPyu4Q
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Matt Berry is grand.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The first episode of SNL was strong, especially Micheal Che calling Trump a bitch, but even Harvey Korman would've told Ryan Gosling to knock it off with laughing during a sketch.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Gifted" was atrocious.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote:
Giff wrote:Pruitt, don't you have some connection to Paw Patrol?

Yeah, I wrote 7 episodes in the first two seasons.

"No job is too big, no pup is too small!"

Apropos of nothing, John Oliver did something with Paw Patrol in his latest episode. Can't remember the bit, unfortunately.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jerloma wrote:I think I'm going to hit that up next. I like that Neil Gaiman.

Just finished 11/22/63. Sort of a ridiculous premise but really well done anyway and I really liked the statement it makes about causal events in relation to time. Also, that actress is one of the prettiest women I've ever seen. She's even attractive as an 80 year old.

Yeah, I know the rules.

I need to monitor this thread more carefully. I had actually started the novel, but it just got kind of... I don't know, I just wanted it to get to the point.

The show had similar moments, but I really enjoyed it. Better as a movie/show than a novel, IMO. Weird as that may sound.

Might have a lot more to do with my attention issues these days.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'll go for the hat trick here...

I've been out sick the last two days, so I needed something to binge. Landed on Vice Principals, which I'd surprisingly not latched onto. (Well, given the sheer volume of shows out there, not all that surprising, as this is a show my wife almost certainly wouldn't like over the long haul.)

Pretty damn good. I get that McBride is kind of one note, but he actually starts moving out of that territory towards the end of the first season. A lot of other great comedic performances in here as well.

Looking forward to season two. Which I know is already out there with a couple of episodes.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Nonlinear FC wrote:I'll go for the hat trick here...

I've been out sick the last two days, so I needed something to binge. Landed on Vice Principals, which I'd surprisingly not latched onto. (Well, given the sheer volume of shows out there, not all that surprising, as this is a show my wife almost certainly wouldn't like over the long haul.)

Pretty damn good. I get that McBride is kind of one note, but he actually starts moving out of that territory towards the end of the first season. A lot of other great comedic performances in here as well.

Looking forward to season two. Which I know is already out there with a couple of episodes.

I go back and forth on it. They're both so over the top.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto