Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by Giff »

I referenced Brockmire to my wife during a bar mitzvah a couple weeks ago.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:34 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:28 am Brockmire getting session 3 and 4 before season 2 airs. IFC also announced another season of Documentary Now.
This is a good thing.
Both are, yes.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yeah, Corporate is awesome. Episode 9 in particular was amazing.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don’t think any TV show has made me want to live in a place as much as High Maintenance would make me want to live in Brooklyn.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Did I miss Season 2 of Brockmire? I loved Season 1, but I'm concerned they could easily ruin the show by continuing it. Curious to see where it goes.

ETA: I heard Hank Azaria on Howard Stern discussing Brockmire. Howard, of course, is obsessed with the old announcer voice, so Hank did a lot of the interview in Brockmire voice, and Howard was giddy over it. Fantastic interview. Hank Azaria is criminally underrated, but I'm guessing he earned his deserved coin through the Simpsons.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:12 am Did I miss Season 2 of Brockmire? I loved Season 1, but I'm concerned they could easily ruin the show by continuing it. Curious to see where it goes.

ETA: I heard Hank Azaria on Howard Stern discussing Brockmire. Howard, of course, is obsessed with the old announcer voice, so Hank did a lot of the interview in Brockmire voice, and Howard was giddy over it. Fantastic interview. Hank Azaria is criminally underrated, but I'm guessing he earned his deserved coin through the Simpsons.
No, it's supposed to be starting this spring. Not sure when tho.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:16 pm I don’t think any TV show has made me want to live in a place as much as High Maintenance would make me want to live in Brooklyn.
The one with the old man made me cry in two different ways at the end mere seconds from each other.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:10 am
brian wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:16 pm I don’t think any TV show has made me want to live in a place as much as High Maintenance would make me want to live in Brooklyn.
The one with the old man made me cry in two different ways at the end mere seconds from each other.
It's such a good show. It's got such an incredible point of view.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

anyone watching "the Terror"? I liked the book although the second half was Dan Simmoms' wierd, I haven't seen the show yet
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Bill Hader's Barry has started fairly well.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Avram wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:22 pm anyone watching "the Terror"? I liked the book although the second half was Dan Simmoms' wierd, I haven't seen the show yet

I haven't carved time out, but I am looking forward to it. The book was tremendous i really hope it is a one season mini series and does not end up being seasonified. I think if they have to draw it out it will lose some of it's awesome.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

At least 3 actual great sketches on SNL this week. At this point, they shouldn't bother with any host that isn't a comic or a Manning
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:57 am Bill Hader's Barry has started fairly well.
I've only watched the first two, but I really like it. If its allowed to continue on this weird and slow path, I'll be happy.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ryan wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:09 am At least 3 actual great sketches on SNL this week. At this point, they shouldn't bother with any host that isn't a comic or a Manning
I was really worried about this week after the first sketch... That was a train wreck.

But it got WAAAAY better after that.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:28 pm And a supposed recut of season 4 is still in process to make it in chronological order and not based around one character each episode.
THIS IS HAPPENING. Drops on "Cinco de Cuatro". (Friday)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Holy crap, thanks to the discussion herein and my wife who kept recommending it, finally got around to Brockmire - saw the first 3 episodes of season 1 last night. That was unreal great on all levels.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Brockmire Season 2 started off with a bang.

I can’t wait to use
[+] spoiler
“Do you fuck your mother with that claw?”
in conversation.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

COBRA KAI IS GOOD I REPEAT COBRA KAI IS GOOD

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:55 pm COBRA KAI IS GOOD I REPEAT COBRA KAI IS GOOD
I have a snobbish disposition to not watch shows only available online (I'm not including streaming "networks" like Hulu, Nexflix, etc. obviously) but I might have to make an exception for this one.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:59 pm
Ryan wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:55 pm COBRA KAI IS GOOD I REPEAT COBRA KAI IS GOOD
I have a snobbish disposition to not watch shows only available online (I'm not including streaming "networks" like Hulu, Nexflix, etc. obviously) but I might have to make an exception for this one.
Your distinction seems odd to me.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:00 pm
brian wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:59 pm
Your distinction seems odd to me.
It's a lot easier to watch TV on an actual TV.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I understand that, but why exclude Hulu and Netflix from your wrath?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:08 pm I understand that, but why exclude Hulu and Netflix from your wrath?
Because I can watch those on my TV. Is this YouTube channel thing an actual streamable thing on an Amazon Fire device? Is there any cost involved? I don't know anything about it. I'm probably not paying for a YouTube channel though.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

It's the subscription side of YouTube but you can do a free trial and yes it's on most streaming devices

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

You can stream anything from your phone/tablet, so long as you have a $20 Chromecast/Fire/whatever.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

if you have a smart tv, it will have a youtube app (just like Hulu, Netflix, etc.) and it's essentially the same thing.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:45 pm if you have a smart tv, it will have a youtube app (just like Hulu, Netflix, etc.) and it's essentially the same thing.
Youtube App is different form Youtube Tv app, right?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Look the point is that Johnny Lawrence is saying “shit” a lot on my television and there’s clever woke stuff and Daniel cuts sushi with a knife from Okinawa and here comes the free trial

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:50 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:45 pm if you have a smart tv, it will have a youtube app (just like Hulu, Netflix, etc.) and it's essentially the same thing.
Youtube App is different form Youtube Tv app, right?
Freely admit I'm speaking out of my butt, in that I haven't actually gone and downloaded, but I know that Google's marketing material states YouTube Red can be accessed on most smart TVs. Not sure exactly what you're downloading YouTube App that allows you to then login to the subscription, or YouTube Red app that gets you straight there.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The former

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

My YouTube app was just discontinued on my Google Fire box (presumably to eliminate potential confusion between YouTube and YouTube Red).

Also, on some level it's kinda ironic that a show targeted at Gen X and late Baby Boomer nostalgia would be done for a streaming network that is largely geared at millennials.

All that said, I'm sure I'll check it out at some point because get him a body bag and all that.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Anyone else watching Barry? I typically let shows fester on DVR for a week or so (or more), but I had to watch last night's immediately after the Rockets game. That show got very dark, very fast.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:48 am Anyone else watching Barry? I typically let shows fester on DVR for a week or so (or more), but I had to watch last night's immediately after the Rockets game. That show got very dark, very fast.
I love it, but I'm one of the world's biggest Bill Hader fans probably so I was going to be all-in regardless.

There's a lot I like about it, but I'm curious to see where it's going to go in a potential second season. They've got a lot of plates up in the air in the season finale if the second season is going to involve Barry staying in LA and trying to be an actor.

(I could also be in the minority, but I think a funnier show might involve the day-to-day involved in Barry remaining a hitman (without being tracked down Chechen gangs, Bolivian gangs and the cops) AND trying to be an actor even if there might not be as much action show conflict in that.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:59 am
Giff wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:48 am Anyone else watching Barry? I typically let shows fester on DVR for a week or so (or more), but I had to watch last night's immediately after the Rockets game. That show got very dark, very fast.
I love it, but I'm one of the world's biggest Bill Hader fans probably so I was going to be all-in regardless.

There's a lot I like about it, but I'm curious to see where it's going to go in a potential second season. They've got a lot of plates up in the air in the season finale if the second season is going to involve Barry staying in LA and trying to be an actor.

(I could also be in the minority, but I think a funnier show might involve the day-to-day involved in Barry remaining a hitman (without being tracked down Chechen gangs, Bolivian gangs and the cops) AND trying to be an actor even if there might not be as much action show conflict in that.)
I'm a huge Hader fan too. I beat Sabo and Syb in fantasy football with a team named after his best SNL character.

Have you watched last night's yet? Holy shit.

NoHo is the best. The scene where he sends the text "Goran wants to see you" followed by a pic of his bitmoji saying "GULP!" still cracks me up whenever I think about it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:02 am
brian wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:59 am

I'm a huge Hader fan too. I beat Sabo and Syb in fantasy football with a team named after his best SNL character.

Have you watched last night's yet? Holy shit.

NoHo is the best. The scene where he sends the text "Goran wants to see you" followed by a pic of his bitmoji saying "GULP!" still cracks me up whenever I think about it.
Yeah, I could be OK with Barry just doing jobs for the Chechens if it means more NoHo and Goran and less Fuches. But I agree on how dark it got and liked that it doesn't cheat on that stuff. After what he had to do, there's no way even a hardened hit man would just be able to shake it off. (I also like that he "learned the lesson" the second time after disregarding Fuches the first time w/r/t Taylor.

ETA: I also liked that it setup Barry to actually possibly not suck at acting. I was waiting for that to come, because there was no way it was possible to justify a show with someone as bad an actor as Barry was, but now there are somewhat more infinite possibilities.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:02 amI'm a huge Hader fan too. I beat Sabo and Syb in fantasy football with a team named after his best SNL character.
After this degree of disrespect, i may have to dig up the old "My Fantasy Football League Needs One" thread.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:05 am
Giff wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:02 amI'm a huge Hader fan too. I beat Sabo and Syb in fantasy football with a team named after his best SNL character.
After this degree of disrespect, i may have to dig up the old "My Fantasy Football League Needs One" thread.
I beat them. I got lucky against you.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Going to watch tonight.

The series could go in so many different directions. And Henry Winkler's character is really growing on me.

ETA - Fantastic episode. Really well directed...
[+] spoiler
Barry's flash of the widow answering the phone was incredible
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:44 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:05 am
I beat them. I got lucky against you.
I hate my team. So much.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt