Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:35 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:31 pm We all loved Major League! I felt like the premise of the show was ripped off from Major League, and the female team owner character seemed like a direct ripoff, too. I am curious how this show is perceived in England. A lot of the charm is guy pretending to be a hayseed living in a foreign culture, and some jokes are at the expense of not understanding the culture, the sport, the media... but I could see English people getting caught up in the annoyance of the show getting things wrong, or the humor in situations not translating. OTOH, the English are less self-centered and douchey than Americans, so maybe they wouldn't care.
While I believe this bolded part is true on the whole, your more serious footie fans in England...not so much.
Sure, but the actual soccer aspects of the show are so minor, it shouldn't matter (excepting my complaint a few weeks ago about how horrendous the game scenes were in the final episode).
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This is actually an interesting question or topic for another thread... Not gonna spoil it here.. Back later with it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think I've said this, but that's where Major League really succeeded. Aside from Dorn and Taylor, even the name actors looked convincing enough especially in the key areas (Vaughn's delivery, Cerrano's swing with the hole in it).
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Ted Lasso works because it was showed just enough gameplay to keep it rooted as a sports story.

AND...I just saw the scene that will preclude my wife from ever watching The Expanse.

S1:E4.

I like this.
Noli Timere Messorem
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:44 pm Ted Lasso works because it was showed just enough gameplay to keep it rooted as a sports story.

AND...I just saw the scene that will preclude my wife from ever watching The Expanse.

I like this.
Did Amos hurt someone? That's way too far back for me to remember what's happening at that point.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:15 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:44 pm Ted Lasso works because it was showed just enough gameplay to keep it rooted as a sports story.

I like this.
Did Amos hurt someone? That's way too far back for me to remember what's happening at that point.
[+] spoiler
The guys were in a cargo hold of sorts (prisoners) and debris bust through a wall and decapitated Shed as he offered up some sort of weed stick to calm Alex down.
Noli Timere Messorem
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:22 pm
BSF21 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:15 pm

I like this.
[+] spoiler
The guys were in a cargo hold of sorts (prisoners) and debris bust through a wall and decapitated Shed as he offered up some sort of weed stick to calm Alex down.
[+] spoiler
Wait until "I am that guy."

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Anyone done discovery+? We watch a lot of food network and the like so I started a trial. But there is a glitch where every so often it freezes and then jumps ahead a few seconds. Not a big deal but enough to not pay for it if it happens to everyone. I have only tested it on one roku so far so it may be hardware.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:11 pm Anyone done discovery+? We watch a lot of food network and the like so I started a trial. But there is a glitch where every so often it freezes and then jumps ahead a few seconds. Not a big deal but enough to not pay for it if it happens to everyone. I have only tested it on one roku so far so it may be hardware.
The missus is apoplectic that it's not available in Mexico. A VPN is very soon in our future.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:19 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:11 pm Anyone done discovery+? We watch a lot of food network and the like so I started a trial. But there is a glitch where every so often it freezes and then jumps ahead a few seconds. Not a big deal but enough to not pay for it if it happens to everyone. I have only tested it on one roku so far so it may be hardware.
The missus is apoplectic that it's not available in Mexico. A VPN is very soon in our future.
They have an alarming amount of shows that we watch.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I remembered the glitchy platform, after it happened to me yesterday:

Prime has a really annoying habit of getting very lag-y. Either the audio doesn't match up, or the subtitles are late/early. It's not something where you can just pause it and let it "buffer," you have to pretty much close out of the app.

Anyone else experience this? It's definitely not a platform specific thing, as I've dealt with all over the damn place (SmarTv, Roku, Verizon) over the years.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:37 pm I remembered the glitchy platform, after it happened to me yesterday:

Prime has a really annoying habit of getting very lag-y. Either the audio doesn't match up, or the subtitles are late/early. It's not something where you can just pause it and let it "buffer," you have to pretty much close out of the app.

Anyone else experience this? It's definitely not a platform specific thing, as I've dealt with all over the damn place (SmarTv, Roku, Verizon) over the years.
I’ve not had that particular problem with prime but I have had it with att tv. And like you said only way is to go all the way out and sometimes reboot.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Apparently tonight on Discovery the son of a friend's Battlebot is fighting. Ribbot appears to be 1 and 1. Trying to get a top 32 position to qualify for the knockout round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleBots_(season_10)
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:14 pm Apparently tonight on Discovery the son of a friend's Battlebot is fighting. Ribbot appears to be 1 and 1. Trying to get a top 32 position to qualify for the knockout round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleBots_(season_10)
Love me some Battlebots. Ribbot has looked good, but realistically I think there's about 5 bots that can win the tournament. So cool that he participated though.

Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:42 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:33 am
Pruitt wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:57 pm I saw a Triscuit add with Cecily Strong last night and realized that she is my secret crush.
How is that a secret crush?? She's incredibly cute.

I also cringed at that "a 'SNL' staple."

Just READ IT OUT LOUD!!
Maybe it's a secret because I watch SNL with my wife?
I just found this while searching (and misspelling) to make sure not to make the dreaded duplicate post about Cicely Tyson.

But yes, a thousand times yes, on Cecily Strong. She was sorely missed at the beginning of this season of SNL while filming the untitled show formerly known as Schmigadoon. Of course, I have no current access to Apple+
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yo, Reaper...

Talk about in the cut.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

brian wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:21 am
P.D.X. wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:58 am Yellowstone is surprisingly good.
How many episodes have you seen? I thought it started really good and was going to be a well-balanced look at issues related to how development encroaches on public and private land and then about the middle of season one, it just turned into a laughable shitshow. One man's opinion.
I'm walking this back. Show takes a massive nosedive around episode 8 when a Chinese tour bus shows up and provides a backdrop for some overt jingoism if not outright racism. The plot has devolved into comical random mishaps and tragedies that have nothing to do with the story arc that began the series. I *think* we're supposed to root for Costner's character but he's morphing into a right wing asshole. The show easily could've gained traction on land use and Native American issues but now even the NA's are the bad guys. It appears they're laying some groundwork for some conflict with evil environmental regulators. No likable characters whatsoever. I'm just hate-watching at this point.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:42 am
How many episodes have you seen? I thought it started really good and was going to be a well-balanced look at issues related to how development encroaches on public and private land and then about the middle of season one, it just turned into a laughable shitshow. One man's opinion.
I'm walking this back. Show takes a massive nosedive around episode 8 when a Chinese tour bus shows up and provides a backdrop for some overt jingoism if not outright racism. The plot has devolved into comical random mishaps and tragedies that have nothing to do with the story arc that began the series. I *think* we're supposed to root for Costner's character but he's morphing into a right wing asshole. The show easily could've gained traction on land use and Native American issues but now even the NA's are the bad guys. It appears they're laying some groundwork for some conflict with evil environmental regulators. No likable characters whatsoever. I'm just hate-watching at this point.
Sorry to say that was my experience as well. If you can believe, the subsequent seasons actually double and triple down on the stupidity.

I was prepared (and hoping!) after the first few eps that maybe there really wouldn't be "bad guys" and "good guys" that we could equally identify with the Yellowstone, Native American and developers equally and somehow they did keep those plates spinning for the first few eps and then somehow it became a show where Costner's family can do no wrong and are the true "victims" (which chafes me more than anything because it's just basically more upper class white grievance where we're supposed to feel sorry for someone who is supposedly the biggest private landowner in Montana because someone wants to build a house near his 500,000 acres).
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:45 am
P.D.X. wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:42 am
Sorry to say that was my experience as well. If you can believe, the subsequent seasons actually double and triple down on the stupidity.

I was prepared (and hoping!) after the first few eps that maybe there really wouldn't be "bad guys" and "good guys" that we could equally identify with the Yellowstone, Native American and developers equally and somehow they did keep those plates spinning for the first few eps and then somehow it became a show where Costner's family can do no wrong and are the true "victims" (which chafes me more than anything because it's just basically more upper class white grievance where we're supposed to feel sorry for someone who is supposedly the biggest private landowner in Montana because someone wants to build a house near his 500,000 acres).
Hm. I guess I've only watched like half the first season, and I liked the fact that pretty much everyone was likable but also a bad guy - including and especially the folks running the tribal governments. That's the most realistic part of the show.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If you need a good take-one-for-the-team show to watch with your lady friend, and one that you would find entertaining yourself, you could do a lot worse than Bridgerton.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

1) That was my deal with Yellowstone, particularly the part Brian pulled out about Costner and rich person grievance. Glad I hedged my bets correctly on that one.

2) Yes on Bridgerton.

3) Apple Plus movie with JT is another in this category, but a) much less of a time commitment and b) not as straight "chick show/movie" as Bridgerton. It's called Palmer... tight 90 minutes. Supporting actress is the adorable influencer model/girlfriend from Lasso. VERY different character, however, so don't put too much into her being a reason to watch the movie.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

At the risk of incurring brian's wrath - WandaVision episode 4 was also outstanding. Feige and his writers are so good at world building...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:49 pm At the risk of incurring brian's wrath - WandaVision episode 4 was also outstanding. Feige and his writers are so good at world building...
I only talk shit about stuff I've seen. Honestly the concept sounds like something I would like. If and when they get to the point in the TV show where there's 50 superheroes all fighting at once and destroying Shanghai in the process then I'll probably hate it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:49 pm At the risk of incurring brian's wrath - WandaVision episode 4 was also outstanding. Feige and his writers are so good at world building...
Should be more worried about me twitching every time someone posts about here and not the Disney + thread.

But point agreed with otherwise.
[+] spoiler
Zombie Vision was really fucking effective
Really hope this turns out to be more than SW grieving though. Pretty sure it will.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:54 pm
Should be more worried about me twitching every time someone posts about here and not the Disney + thread.

But point agreed with otherwise.
[+] spoiler
Zombie Vision was really fucking effective
Really hope this turns out to be more than SW grieving though. Pretty sure it will.

Liked the latest episode, but...
[+] spoiler
Had to pause it a few times so my daughter could explain things as I am not up to speed on the avengers,
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Apparently Dr. Oz is going to be one of the guest hosts of Jeopardy.

Not Sitting Well With Former Contestants
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:52 pm Apparently Dr. Oz is going to be one of the guest hosts of Jeopardy.

Fuck Dr. Oz.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Um ... Expanse season finale.
[+] spoiler
I guess we know which actor was the subject of those mysterious allegations a while back. But holy shit.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:30 pm
Pruitt wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:52 pm Apparently Dr. Oz is going to be one of the guest hosts of Jeopardy.

Fuck Dr. Oz.
Wow.
Noli Timere Messorem
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Has Rass seen that Salma Hayek's boobs are getting a show? Or as the NY Post link says, "sort of".
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Reaper wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:18 pm Has Rass seen that Salma Hayek's boobs are getting a show? Or as the NY Post link says, "sort of".
A show about a middle aged woman whose boobs talk to her? Sure, I’ll watch.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

They had me at boobs.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

“I don’t want the kind of guy who brings a knife to a gunfight, I want the kind of guy who brings a gun to a child’s birthday party.”

That’s dialogue right there.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Just started The Americans. Fantastic.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:27 pm Just started The Americans. Fantastic.
Just finished the series. I absolutely loved the final season. Every season was had a different feel to it. Either the second or third season was pretty bad, it turned into constant borderline superhero fight scenes and I almost gave up, but stick with it, it gets much better.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:27 pm Just started The Americans. Fantastic.
Personally for me a top five all-time show. Up there with The Sopranos and The Wire.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Re: Wandavision, I was theorizing with my wife about what Monica’s reaction to the mention of Captain Marvel could mean and at some point I referred to Bree Olson instead of Brie Larson.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Winning.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rams Fanny wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:33 pm Finished The Good Lord Bird last night. Excellent start to finish. Ethan Hawke gives one of the best performances in a long, long time.
100% on that. He is incredible, and the show itself is great.
[+] spoiler
Who knew that Frederick Douglass was such a jackass?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:07 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:57 pm We very much enjoyed Cobra Kai, although the season 2 cliffhanger seemed a bit much.
That is a charitable way to describe it. But agree on both.
Holy crap that was a bit much...

Still love Johnny though.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.