Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by A_B »

The advent of HD drone cameras seems like it would really lend itself to this type of filmmaking.

NEWPAGED! Surfing docs.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Interesting thread about Ted Lasso screenwriting...

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Great return of Ted. Though going back to the pre-binging method of watching is hard man. I need more.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:02 am Kate Winslet is good at acting.

I spent the majority of the show somehow convinced Detective Zabel was Mikey Day from SNL and was almost shocked when I finally got around to googling him and realized it was that guy from the X-Men movies.
[+] spoiler
RIP Zabel - though other than the initial scene when he drunkenly sort of hit on her I wasn't a big fan of the Mare/Zabel possibly romantic relationship part of the show
We finished it last night and loved it. We did have one big question though:
[+] spoiler
Why didn't they show Erin's dad's reaction to it? I mean, his brother fucked his daughter and impregnated her, and we don't get to see what he thought about all this?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:17 pm Great return of Ted. Though going back to the pre-binging method of watching is hard man. I need more.
Do they release all episodes at once or once a week?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:47 pm
rass wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:02 am Kate Winslet is good at acting.

I spent the majority of the show somehow convinced Detective Zabel was Mikey Day from SNL and was almost shocked when I finally got around to googling him and realized it was that guy from the X-Men movies.
[+] spoiler
RIP Zabel - though other than the initial scene when he drunkenly sort of hit on her I wasn't a big fan of the Mare/Zabel possibly romantic relationship part of the show
We finished it last night and loved it. We did have one big question though:
[+] spoiler
Why didn't they show Erin's dad's reaction to it? I mean, his brother fucked his daughter and impregnated her, and we don't get to see what he thought about all this?
Dunno.
[+] spoiler
*Cousin, not brother. But yeah. He was in jail, and the identity of the killer wasn't going to change that, and Mare probably wasn't really the appropriate person to go tell him, so I guess they didn't want to shoehorn it in?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:47 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:17 pm Great return of Ted. Though going back to the pre-binging method of watching is hard man. I need more.
Do they release all episodes at once or once a week?
Once a week
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Damn, we were going to have a family binge party next week on our trip.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I loathe once-a-week television. It's manipulative to keep you a slave to some preordained schedule.

I'll try as long as possible to avoid watching Lasso until my wife remembers she wants to watch it.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I can understand why Apple is using that model though. They have what, 2-3 shows that people are into it's smart to week by week otherwise people are just going to subscribe then binge and cancel before the free trial gives out.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

It kills me that at the beginning of the streaming revolution and the cult of cut-the-cord the talk was all about the death of broadcast and cable TV and how much cheaper it would be.

All we did was trade who gets our money and the technical engine that drives the medium.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:59 pm It kills me that at the beginning of the streaming revolution and the cult of cut-the-cord the talk was all about the death of broadcast and cable TV and how much cheaper it would be.

All we did was trade who gets our money and the technical engine that drives the medium.
Still a lot cheaper
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:51 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:35 pm Digging the Dale "documentary." As advertised, a very odd yet compelling approach.
[+] spoiler
Not really a spoiler, but I'm glad they addressed the trans thing almost immediately, because I watched the trailer and I was like "are they gonna address the fact that this is a dude?" It's kind of bizarre watching the news clips, because they were definitely NOT following people's preferred gender identification back thing (obvi).
Really enjoyed it and was not surprising to see what a piece of shit Tucker Carlson’s father is.
First off, spoiler! (jk)

But fucking Hell. That sure explains a lot about Tucker. What a piece of shit dad is.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:03 pm
GoodKarma wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:59 pm It kills me that at the beginning of the streaming revolution and the cult of cut-the-cord the talk was all about the death of broadcast and cable TV and how much cheaper it would be.

Still a lot cheaper
Depending on how much content you want I don’t think it is. YouTube TV, Hulu + Live TV, etc are all $65/month or more. Add on the cost of Netflix, Apple TV, etc and the network streaming services the advantage streaming has narrows considerably. I’m paying $120/month for DirecTV and that includes HBO and Sunday Ticket. If you’re fine with less content then yeah it’s a lot cheaper.
What am I, 12?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:45 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:03 pm

Still a lot cheaper
Depending on how much content you want I don’t think it is. YouTube TV, Hulu + Live TV, etc are all $65/month or more. Add on the cost of Netflix, Apple TV, etc and the network streaming services the advantage streaming has narrows considerably. I’m paying $120/month for DirecTV and that includes HBO and Sunday Ticket. If you’re fine with less content then yeah it’s a lot cheaper.
YouTube TV is trying to have it both ways. You're spending $70+ a month to be chained to a schedule.

And for the record: I can create a streaming package that would offer what, 3, 4x the content than DirecTV if I had $120/mo to build it.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Schedule? YTTV has unlimited DVR.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, I don't understand that at all. With YTTV, you can pretty much watch anything whenever you want.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Unlimited DVR or not, it’s still $65+ a month to primarily watch cable TV channels. I like it (though I’ve temporarily paused it over the summer), but I can get a lot more content with that money if I spend it on actual streaming services, which really was pointed at GoodKarma’s contention that we’re back where we started. YTTV pushes us backwards to the cable format (cloud DVR notwithstanding, cuz we had TiVo, and cable companies like Comcast offer cloud DVR functionality anyway). It costs that much money because Google is paying those cable channels $.

eta: the bigs: Hulu is owned by Disney, but at least there is Hulu-exclusive content. Netflix is still owned by its founders (LOL at Blockbuster for turning down their offer), and obv Amazon is Amazon.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Episode one of Season 2 of Ted Lasso was kind of meh for me. Hoping that this show doesn’t start taking itself too seriously and stops being funny.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

bfj wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:01 pm Episode one of Season 2 of Ted Lasso was kind of meh for me. Hoping that this show doesn’t start taking itself too seriously and stops being funny.
Fuck dogs
[+] spoiler
and the Dutch
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:26 pm Unlimited DVR or not, it’s still $65+ a month to primarily watch cable TV channels. I like it (though I’ve temporarily paused it over the summer), but I can get a lot more content with that money if I spend it on actual streaming services, which really was pointed at GoodKarma’s contention that we’re back where we started. YTTV pushes us backwards to the cable format (cloud DVR notwithstanding, cuz we had TiVo, and cable companies like Comcast offer cloud DVR functionality anyway). It costs that much money because Google is paying those cable channels $.

eta: the bigs: Hulu is owned by Disney, but at least there is Hulu-exclusive content. Netflix is still owned by its founders (LOL at Blockbuster for turning down their offer), and obv Amazon is Amazon.
My bad…I realize I wasn’t very clear before. My point wasn’t that we’re back where we started…my point was streaming isn’t some life changing screaming deal compared to traditional cable. It was when YTTV was $25/month. Now that it’s approaching $70 a basic cable package with a comparable channel lineup is not that much more. If I want all the best content out there I have to subscribe to multiple streaming services I order to get it whereas pre-streaming cable was the only place to get it.

For example, I like the show Evil that came out on CBS a couple years ago. CBS decided to put season 2 on Paramount +…now I have to pay extra to see a show that I would have seen either for free (OTA) or as part of my basic cable package. Corporations get their money eventually. Streaming may kill Comcast, AT&T or whoever but that’s just shifting the delivery method…content providers aren’t going to settle for getting less $$$ overall.
What am I, 12?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

GoodKarma wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:28 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:26 pm Unlimited DVR or not, it’s still $65+ a month to primarily watch cable TV channels. I like it (though I’ve temporarily paused it over the summer), but I can get a lot more content with that money if I spend it on actual streaming services, which really was pointed at GoodKarma’s contention that we’re back where we started. YTTV pushes us backwards to the cable format (cloud DVR notwithstanding, cuz we had TiVo, and cable companies like Comcast offer cloud DVR functionality anyway). It costs that much money because Google is paying those cable channels $.

My bad…I realize I wasn’t very clear before. My point wasn’t that we’re back where we started…my point was streaming isn’t some life changing screaming deal compared to traditional cable. It was when YTTV was $25/month. Now that it’s approaching $70 a basic cable package with a comparable channel lineup is not that much more. If I want all the best content out there I have to subscribe to multiple streaming services I order to get it whereas pre-streaming cable was the only place to get it.

For example, I like the show Evil that came out on CBS a couple years ago. CBS decided to put season 2 on Paramount +…now I have to pay extra to see a show that I would have seen either for free (OTA) or as part of my basic cable package. Corporations get their money eventually. Streaming may kill Comcast, AT&T or whoever but that’s just shifting the delivery method…content providers aren’t going to settle for getting less $$$ overall.
Yeah, we're on the same page with that.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Gunpowder Milkshake is awesome. So stupidly perfect, or perfectly stupid.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The White Lotus is really good (so far).

Some truly odd and some truly horrible characters and it's pretty funny.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Seconded.

And you could do worse for a show than having to look at Alexandra Daddario in a bikini and less for most of the episodes. She's a good actress, of course. But wowsers.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:33 am Seconded.

And you could do worse for a show than having to look at Alexandra Daddario in a bikini and less for most of the episodes. She's a good actress, of course. But wowsers.
Ummm, I wasn't familiar with her work. Big fan now.

Also, Jennifer Coolidge is off the charts great in the show.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Reaper wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:43 pm
Ryan wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:27 am ON THE RECORD TAKE: Aaron Rodgers should be the permanent host of Jeopardy
I'm joining the LeVar Burton groundswell
LeVar Burton is pretty poor at the hosting. Other than Bill Whitaker and Mayim Bialik (didn't watch the Dr. Oz episodes), he has been the worst.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:48 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:33 am Seconded.

Ummm, I wasn't familiar with her work. Big fan now.

Also, Jennifer Coolidge is off the charts great in the show.
My oldest is pretty good with accents and voice work. His newest quote is Coolidge in Legally Blonde saying, "I'm taking the dog".
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:49 pm
Reaper wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:43 pm
Ryan wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:27 am ON THE RECORD TAKE: Aaron Rodgers should be the permanent host of Jeopardy
I'm joining the LeVar Burton groundswell
LeVar Burton is pretty poor at the hosting. Other than Bill Whitaker and Mayim Bialik (didn't watch the Dr. Oz episodes), he has been the worst.
Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed. I guess I shouldn't have pulled for someone sight unseen. Not sure whom I'm pulling for now.

That being said, I hate his champion who is now 6 days running. I mean, good on him at being good at the game and knowing questions and how to play the board, but I think there should be a grammar penalty. He says "What's" no matter what the answer is. I can't remember the plural answer, but "What's eyes?" is not a question. Nor when he does it for a person. "What's Updike?" and "What's Faris?" is annoying (even if the first one was funny).
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

An old friend from work retired and he and his wife bought a sweet town home in Napa. So the wife and I just got back from three awesome days up there hanging out with them. Ate great food and drank shittons of excellent wine. But perhaps the highlight was (finally) getting to binge all the Ted Lasso episodes!

When I grow up, I want to be Roy Kent.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So great, all of this. Watched "Lavender" tonight.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:37 pm An old friend from work retired and he and his wife bought a sweet town home in Napa. So the wife and I just got back from three awesome days up there hanging out with them. Ate great food and drank shittons of excellent wine. But perhaps the highlight was (finally) getting to binge all the Ted Lasso episodes!

When I grow up, I want to be Roy Kent.
Congrats on experiencing Roy Kent. The gaffer fixed the pressure is one of my favorite deadpan lines in a quick minute.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:24 am The White Lotus is really good (so far).

Some truly odd and some truly horrible characters and it's pretty funny.
Watching Ep 1 now. Yeah, will stay with this one.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:52 am We watched the first episode of 'McCartney 3,2,1' last night (Paul McCartney talking music and life with producer Rick Rubin) as a palatte cleanser after watching 'Handmaid's Tale'.

It was good, and interesting, but my god....there wasn't a PA brave enough to tell Sir Paul that he shouldn't be chewing gum during a filmed interview? Very distracting!
Between the gum chewing, strange black and white camera work, and the personalities of McCartney and Rubin, this would perfect for an SNL parody --someone, get Dana Carvey on the phone.

It is great Beatles porn though.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ted Lasso is as great as advertised but do all Apple TV shows have as much Apple product placement? It’s almost a little distracting sometimes.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:38 pm Ted Lasso is as great as advertised but do all Apple TV shows have as much Apple product placement? It’s almost a little distracting sometimes.
I knew Erik the Cleanly shouldn't have been able to listen to an iPod as he sailed into the sunset!
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Really enjoying For All Mankind on Apple TV now. Alternate history of the US space program in a world where the Russians beat the US to the Moon. Show creator and EP is the guy behind Battlestar Gallactica (the remake) which is a decent enough pedigree.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ted Lasso still rules.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

GaTa on "Dave" is one of the best television characters of the last couple decades. There's a much better show about him in there.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”