Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by Johnnie »

Game Of Thrones is back on April 6th.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote:Game Of Thrones is back on April 6th.
and it's Boardwalk Empires last season :(
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

So who can tell me a bit about Sherlock, the one with Benedict Cumberbatch? Would that show be appropriate for kids (ages 10 and 12)? I've heard good things about the show, but it would be more fun to watch the family, if that's possible.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley wrote:So who can tell me a bit about Sherlock, the one with Benedict Cumberbatch? Would that show be appropriate for kids (ages 10 and 12)? I've heard good things about the show, but it would be more fun to watch the family, if that's possible.
Yes. Audrey watched it but if you want something to watch as a family with kids that age even better, don't sleep on Doctor Who.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Benedict Cumberbatch is a real name?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yes. And his female followers are called 'Cumberbitches.'

http://www.reddit.com/r/Cumberbitches/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Giff wrote:Benedict Cumberbatch is a real name?
Yes, yes it is. (But it probably shouldn't be)
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

First Justified and bourbon Friday of the year tonight! I might be too excited.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Anyone watch True Detective on HBO last night? Wow...intense. And nice to see some Wire alums (Lester Freamon and Brother Mouzone) showing up.

McCaunaghey was damn good.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Didn't watch, but it's getting rave reviews.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I missed the first ten minutes of True Detective; it seemed pretty good if a bit overwrought. MacGoneghey can act, that's for sure. Woody too, I like him a lot.

I just viewed a very good installment of American Experience on PBS, reviewing the events of 1964, casting the year as a turning point in our history. I had not given the year much thought (I was seven and don't remember much--Jim Bunning's perfect game, for some reason, probably cause one of the parents had to explain for me the distinction between that and a no-hitter). I usually look at 1968 as a watershed year, but 50 years later, '64 has a lot to offer. The first of the baby boomers, born in 1946, graduate high school, that might have had an effect.

--LBJ war on poverty announced, as well as the Great Society and civil rights actions
--Modern Conservative movement launched with Barry Goldwater running for president, publication of Conscience of a Conservative
--Beatles come to America, they appear on Ed Sullivan
--Cassius Clay defeats Liston, becomes champion, converts to Islam and changes name
--Betty Freidan’s The Feminine Mystique published
--Surgeon General Warning that smoking causes lung cancer
--Ford Mustang introduced
--Civil Rights bill brought to vote in Congress to end legality of segregation, after 100 years of obstruction by southern lawmakers
--Ken Kesey and gang take a bus trip
--Freedom Summer project by SNCC, for voter registration in south, mostly white college students
--Two white civil rights workers (and one black one) are murdered in Mississippi. Nation reacts to lynching of white people
--Harlem race riots erupt after cop murders 15yo negro boy.
--Gulf of Tonkin false flag incident used as pretense for war, Marines sent to Vietnam and first bombing campaign of the north is launched
--Berkeley Free Speech movement launches the white student protest movements against the war and the status quo of segregated, conformist America
--Defeat of Goldwater provides the roots for the conservative takeover of the GOP. Don’t forget, Hillary was a Goldwater Girl. Just sayin’.

Pretty good show. Howard sez check it out.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

This season of Archer looks FANTASTIC.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Has anyone seen Friday Night Tykes? We don't get Esquire through DirecTv so I've been trying to get through the first episode @ http://tv.esquire.com/videos/70989-frid ... g-the-body

The review at http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/f ... ion-011514 got me interested in it.
The show follows around different teams in the league. One of those teams called the Colts is coached by a young-ish guy named Marcecus Gooloe. He's a no-nonsense dude who wants his team to have a lot of swagger.

Well, one of his players missed the beginning of summer practice because he was at his grandmother's house in Indiana for two weeks. The player's parents said they let their son do that each summer so he can act like a kid during those two weeks.

Makes sense.

The player, Jaden "J Boogie" Armmer, was in for a rude awakening when he finally made it to practice. Gooloe made him run and run and run and run and run some more while the rest of the team practiced.

The kid ran so much he almost puked and fell over. But finally his coach asked him if he was ready to practice. Boogie, in the nicest, most respectful way possible, said, "Yes sir."
But we kept on watching. And what we saw next was probably the saddest part of the episode: Boogie riding home in the back seat of his parents' car, breathing deeply, crying and moaning like somebody had just punched him in the stomach 424 times.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That's sickening.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

testuser2 wrote:Has anyone seen Friday Night Tykes? We don't get Esquire through DirecTv so I've been trying to get through the first episode @ http://tv.esquire.com/videos/70989-frid ... g-the-body
I have seen more than enough commercials for that show and was pretty sickened just from those (channel 235 on DirecTV, depending on what package of channels you have - it replaced Style Network a couple months ago).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

"I want you to put it on his head, and I don't care if you get up." Holy fuck. I'd love to contrast that with a tape of my son's 1st-2nd grade PAL soccer league. Granted it is the least competitive of 3 levels of leagues in town, but it is 100% polar opposite of that. Except for when my friend's son walked down the handshake line slapping every kid in the face. Not surprising, but this same kid almost cracked Rass' oldest daughter in the head with a metal rod.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Boyd Crowder (Walter Goggins) was fantastic on Community last night. And the explanation of Pierce's death was great
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Bensell wrote:Boyd Crowder (Walter Goggins) was fantastic on Community last night. And the explanation of Pierce's death was great

Agreed.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Bensell wrote:Boyd Crowder (Walter Goggins) was fantastic on Community last night. And the explanation of Pierce's death was great
Dehydration....gold
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

SHOTS!!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I am still watching Brooklyn 99 and enjoying, and I love Samberg, but Golden Globes for best Comedy and Actor in a Comdey? It is so far from touching Modern Family or Parks and Rec.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:I am still watching Brooklyn 99 and enjoying, and I love Samberg, but Golden Globes for best Comedy and Actor in a Comdey? It is so far from touching Modern Family or Parks and Rec.
Well, Modern Family has become pretty much unwatchable this season. It has become a caricature of itself with five unfunny plots running through each 22 minutes. Whereas in the past, it was one of the best sitcoms ever made, I have not laughed once this year and am done with it. Characters who were once fresh and funny are now coming across as shrill and ridiculous. And God almighty - someone hit Luke and alex with an ugly stick. One other thing, how is it that a young actor can appear regularly on a show and suddenly become a terrible actor?

Brooklyn 99 is really good. A nice mix of absurdity and sitcom conventions. And the cast is great. But agree about Andy Samberg - he's really not an actor.

Watched the season premiers of Episodes with a growing sense of dread as it seems that the shark is getting ready to be jumped. Maybe there was too long of a hiatus, but it started VERY poorly.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:
The Sybian wrote:I am still watching Brooklyn 99 and enjoying, and I love Samberg, but Golden Globes for best Comedy and Actor in a Comdey? It is so far from touching Modern Family or Parks and Rec.
Well, Modern Family has become pretty much unwatchable this season. It has become a caricature of itself with five unfunny plots running through each 22 minutes. Whereas in the past, it was one of the best sitcoms ever made, I have not laughed once this year and am done with it. Characters who were once fresh and funny are now coming across as shrill and ridiculous. And God almighty - someone hit Luke and alex with an ugly stick. One other thing, how is it that a young actor can appear regularly on a show and suddenly become a terrible actor?

Brooklyn 99 is really good. A nice mix of absurdity and sitcom conventions. And the cast is great. But agree about Andy Samberg - he's really not an actor.

Watched the season premiers of Episodes with a growing sense of dread as it seems that the shark is getting ready to be jumped. Maybe there was too long of a hiatus, but it started VERY poorly.

I'm still enjoying Modern Family, but it has fallen off. For me, the show is much less about the plot than the witty jokes. I find myself getting some jokes 5 seconds late at times. I can't think of a show that has more subtle, wittier writing. I think the actors are all great, but agree that the characters are starting to become parodies of themselves. Watching the most recent episode, I had the same thought about Luke and Alex. I actually feel bad for them having to go through suck horrible awkward stages on TV.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I still enjoy Modern Family too, and second Syb. Manny and Luke as teenagers can't credibly be the same characters they were, and changing the characters is a difficult challenge. Luke has to be a very different kind of goofy; jokes like, 'they're twins; they can't tell the difference' is a step in that direction. Lily is the exact same as she was two years ago; they can get away with that.

I enjoyed the Alex with her shrink line a lot, because it addressed how she has grown up, and got off a lot of jokes ('did you even have SATs? Or Asian kids?')

As for Community, it is back to it's insane former self. '…and the obligatory semen'. 'When (Shirley and I) are alone, she refers to you guys as 'those people'!'

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:
I enjoyed the Alex with her shrink line a lot, because it addressed how she has grown up, and got off a lot of jokes ('did you even have SATs? Or Asian kids?')

Yeah, loved that scene. Added a level of depth the show never entered. I actually liked the bit with Jesse Eisenberg as the annoying Greenie next door. Cleaning the oil off the ceramic animals was pretty good. I think Haley has become a better character. More than just the dumb sister, she has shown some cunning this season. Loved when she completely orchestrated her parents lying to Alex like an evil mastermind.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

New season of Workaholics starts Wednesday. It might be the funniest show on TV right now. (Not that you'll probably need to feel like you need to "catch up", but the first three seasons are on Amazon Prime).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Just wrapping up Lilyhammer. Great show.

Also pleased to find An Idiot Abroad is now on Netflix.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

howard wrote: I usually look at 1968 as a watershed year, but 50 years later, '64 has a lot to offer. The first of the baby boomers, born in 1946, graduate high school, that might have had an effect.

--LBJ war on poverty announced, as well as the Great Society and civil rights actions
--Modern Conservative movement launched with Barry Goldwater running for president, publication of Conscience of a Conservative
--Beatles come to America, they appear on Ed Sullivan
--Cassius Clay defeats Liston, becomes champion, converts to Islam and changes name
--Betty Freidan’s The Feminine Mystique published
--Surgeon General Warning that smoking causes lung cancer
--Ford Mustang introduced
--Civil Rights bill brought to vote in Congress to end legality of segregation, after 100 years of obstruction by southern lawmakers
--Ken Kesey and gang take a bus trip
--Freedom Summer project by SNCC, for voter registration in south, mostly white college students
--Two white civil rights workers (and one black one) are murdered in Mississippi. Nation reacts to lynching of white people
--Harlem race riots erupt after cop murders 15yo negro boy.
--Gulf of Tonkin false flag incident used as pretense for war, Marines sent to Vietnam and first bombing campaign of the north is launched
--Berkeley Free Speech movement launches the white student protest movements against the war and the status quo of segregated, conformist America
--Defeat of Goldwater provides the roots for the conservative takeover of the GOP. Don’t forget, Hillary was a Goldwater Girl. Just sayin’.
You left out something else....a certain Swamper who lives in Seattle was born....
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

If you haven't seen the second episode of "True Detective"...you are missing out. Woody's "side piece"...played by Alexandra Daddario, gets her naked on. The angels wept...here's a G-rated picture of the fine young actress.

The scene can be found here: Link
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DaveInSeattle wrote:The scene can be found here: Link
I saw screencaps earlier this week. To borrow from The Princess Bride, there's a shortage of perfect breasts in the world. It would be a pity not to check them out.

Speaking of perfect, Community last night.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just watched the first two episodes of season one of Luther.

Great atmosphere and acting. It can get really tense, even if some of the plotting is a touch ridiculous. I've been warned that it gets "really dark" as it goes along which frightens me as the first scene in the first episode involved a cop debating whether to kill a pedophile.

Great family viewing!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:The scene can be found here: Link
I saw screencaps earlier this week. To borrow from The Princess Bride, there's a shortage of perfect breasts in the world. It would be a pity not to check them out.

Speaking of perfect, Community last night.
Those really are perfect breasts, hot damn!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"I can't hear you because Tom put all of my music on this rectangle."
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

This is an excellent rectangle!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think I mentioned it before in reference to his trip at the end of the London episode, but Swanson-joy is infectious.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

So, what is the bigger waste of my TV watching time this evening, the Grammys or the Pro Bowl?

I'm going with ogling Malin Åkerman in rerun of Watchmen.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

This probowl is pretty good, they're crushing each other.

It's only 7-0
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..