Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Temporary Television

Post by bfj »

AB_skin_test wrote:
bfj wrote:Anybody watching Hannibal? It isn't too bad. Follows the characters from Red Dragon, not Silence of the Lambs.
Yet.
It will follow Lecter, but not Clarice Starling. Will Graham/Jack Crawford are the main characters who will chase him.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote:So the audition went very, very well I thought. Now it is wait and see for the next 18 months. But hopefully soon we will have our second Swamper on Jeopardy.
Glad it went well, good luck.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

Last week's office would have been perfect as a series finale, so they better not fuck it all up for the actual finale. Felt like the kick-ass first seasons.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That French Guy wrote:Last week's office would have been perfect as a series finale, so they better not fuck it all up for the actual finale. Felt like the kick-ass first seasons.
Felt the same way. Almost like they convinced Carrell to come back and then had to write a new Finale after they already had this one drawn up. I actually think they could have had Carrell come in at the end like Andy did and it would have been perfecter.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

We have a mother on HIMYM. This is not a drill.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

Like the casting: not a big name, sort of the softer Manic Pixie Dream girl kind of thing.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sepinwall noted that they did this so as not to garner the attention the casting of an Alison Brie or whomever would have had.

Also I saw discussion of how she's sort of a mashup of Robin and Lilly. Like the casting as well.

Sepinwall also talked about the ways that they could frame the final season, the wedding weekend stretched over the season. Flash-forwards showing the couple dating etc., Flashbacks showing the mother over the past 8 seasons, including her interactions with Ted.

Amazing that some eagle eye on reddit even found a fill in that looks 90% like the mother in the season 5? episode that Ted teaches the wrong class during his first day at Columbia.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

Office finale was fine. Not overtly funny but overall, nice to see everyone and earlier bits, and I really liked thr way they closed out most things, especially Jim and Pam.

Creed with a beard in the audience or the twist after his speech ? Now that was funny.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That French Guy wrote:Office finale was fine. Not overtly funny but overall, nice to see everyone and earlier bits, and I really liked thr way they closed out most things, especially Jim and Pam.

Creed with a beard in the audience or the twist after his speech ? Now that was funny.
There were a few other touches that I really liked that called back previous episodes. Like remembering that Schrutes get married standing in their own graves. And Meredith's stripper son was actually played by the same kid who played her son in the Season 2 episode "Take Your Daughter To Work Day".
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Carrell cameo was perfect.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:The Carrell cameo was perfect.
As was the fact that the first words out of his mouth were "That's what she said."
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

For all the crap I gave this season of The Office, I should say I thoroughly enjoyed the finale. All the little callbacks, one last "that's what she said", all the old cast they managed to work in... I thought they definitely left it on a high note.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

phxgators wrote:For all the crap I gave this season of The Office, I should say I thoroughly enjoyed the finale. All the little callbacks, one last "that's what she said", all the old cast they managed to work in... I thought they definitely left it on a high note.

Next to Six Feet Under, that was the best finale I can think off. Loved it on so many levels. Loved how they did the Q&A session with the characters under the guise of them suddenly being minor celebrities with the documentary finally being released. Loved the callbacks with the Gutten Pranks, which were gold!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I just watched it last night. I second all the positive comments here; I too thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially Angela insisting on terms for Dwight's love. And, of course, Mose Tremendous getting a line.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

The Shield had the best series finale in my book.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

That is awesome news. Hate that it will be held until midseason, but the 2 year (assumedly short) season deal makes it worth it.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Though I wonder how they are going to rope Joel back to Greendale after he graduated.
Bensell wrote: That is awesome news. Hate that it will be held until midseason, but the 2 year (assumedly short) season deal makes it worth it.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Still trying to get through the end of this past season of Justified (we keep forgetting about it!). Watched the third to last episode last night. For as much love as Patton Oswalt got for his spot on Parks and Recreation, he topped that with Constable Bob.

Drew-bacca!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

MasterChef cracks me up.

The last 2 episodes were basically "There are 4 of your who suck horribly at making Eggs Benedict. So what we'll do is take you to Las Vegas, split you into 2 teams, and create a signature burger at my (Gordon's) restaurant. Then the 2 people on the losing team will face off head-to-head on top of Caesar's Palace where you'll make butter poached lobster. Then the loser of that cook-off goes home."

Like, really? Also, add in dramatic music, ridiculous zoom ins and pan arounds, and edits that make it seem like everything comes down to the last possible moment.

I love the show, but jeez.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I just finished season 1 of Friday Night Lights. Anyone ever notice that after Lilah goes to Buddy's car lot and smashes up all the cars and drives one through the store window, it just never gets brought up again? They never so much as show his reaction. It was almost like they decided to pull the whole thing but then forgot to take out that part.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:I just finished season 1 of Friday Night Lights. Anyone ever notice that after Lilah goes to Buddy's car lot and smashes up all the cars and drives one through the store window, it just never gets brought up again? They never so much as show his reaction. It was almost like they decided to pull the whole thing but then forgot to take out that part.

Just wait until season 4. It comes full circle. Big Time!
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:I just finished season 1 of Friday Night Lights. Anyone ever notice that after Lilah goes to Buddy's car lot and smashes up all the cars and drives one through the store window, it just never gets brought up again? They never so much as show his reaction. It was almost like they decided to pull the whole thing but then forgot to take out that part.

That brings up another thing...how do they 5 seasons of this? Wouldn't you have almost a whole new cast?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Jerloma wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

That brings up another thing...how do they 5 seasons of this? Wouldn't you have almost a whole new cast?
Yes. Almost all of the high school students are rotated out
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, I don't like that. I think that's how Glee lost me.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:Yeah, I don't like that. I think that's how Glee lost me.
They really make it work on FNL. Incredible show.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Yeah, I don't like that. I think that's how Glee lost me.
They really make it work on FNL. Incredible show.
Seconded. And Zach Guilford (Matt Saracen) is just outstanding throughout, but hardly gets mentioned, as he seems like a minor player as the coach and his wife remain throughout.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Does the choppy "documentary style" camera work of the FNL pilot get better/clearer as the episodes go on? I've got to think it does, or else there wouldn't be as many fans. I nearly puked watching the pilot, and don't plan on making myself nauseous watching a show, no matter how good it is.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

it gets better. the pilot was damn near unwatchable for me. i had to take breaks while watching it.

that being said, i quit watching it all together in season four.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote:MasterChef cracks me up.

The last 2 episodes were basically "There are 4 of your who suck horribly at making Eggs Benedict. So what we'll do is take you to Las Vegas, split you into 2 teams, and create a signature burger at my (Gordon's) restaurant. Then the 2 people on the losing team will face off head-to-head on top of Caesar's Palace where you'll make butter poached lobster. Then the loser of that cook-off goes home."

Like, really? Also, add in dramatic music, ridiculous zoom ins and pan arounds, and edits that make it seem like everything comes down to the last possible moment.

I love the show, but jeez.
That Krissi chick is a cunt of the highest order. She must be their queen. All lesser cunts must swear fealty or be eaten when she gets hungry.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

The last season of Burn Notice has been uneven, but I am really digging the new show Graceland that comes on after it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HIMYM put out a great video leading into the final season. Haters of the show will enjoy this:
Link to video.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Two episodes left in season two of Veep and I am really enjoying the savagery of this season. Everyone is an idiot on the show.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote:Two episodes left in season two of Veep and I am really enjoying the savagery of this season. Everyone is an idiot on the show.
genius second season.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

testy boxcar wrote:it gets better. the pilot was damn near unwatchable for me. i had to take breaks while watching it.

that being said, i quit watching it all together in season four.
Ya know, I actually think I liked seasons 4 and 5 the most. I'm a sucker for an underdog though. Minka is hot but man her character was annoying as fuck.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Can we talk about "The Bridge"? I mean, can I have a tirade about "The Bridge"? Thanks.

So, Diane Kruger's character has Asperger's (or not, or not exactly, depending on whether your source is the producers or the network or something else). I understand people can have this condition/disease/affliction (I'm sorry, I don't know what word best describes Asperger's) and still lead productive lives, but this is just stupid, stupid, stupid. Reason #1: It was most likely used by the producers/network as Emmy-bait for casting the role. ("Hey, let's do this to provide a certain level of quirkiness to the character that hasn't been seen before so it's easier to get a bigger name actress because AWARDZ!") Reason #2: It is used to pound into the viewers' heads the difference between the police forces in the US (well-resourced, attentive, etc.) and Mexico (indifferent, bribed into ignoring the problem, etc.). You know, instead of showing the difference... or having the detective from Mexico speak about the differences... or having the murderer be making a point about this difference in the two countries in one of his messages... or all three. Reason #3: It enables time to be eaten up to fill scripts/running time. ("Hey, let's just write another quick scene that illustrates that she can't relate to regular people on an emotional level.") Reason #4: How the fuck is she supposed to tell someone his wife has been found dead when she cannot understand emotional responses and how to relate to others?

Let's also talk about the male lead (both the name of the character and the actor playing him escape me right now) for a second. He is completely emasculated. In fact, he had "a procedure". Everyone is basically referring it to him as having a vasectomy without calling it a vasectomy (jokes about balls!)... except him. And he is powerless when having discussions with his boss. And his wife controls him. Oh, and she's pregnant from right before getting snipped. But, hey, he cheats on his wife with a woman who makes a pass at him.

In short, congrats to the producers for dumbing down the show over and over again to allow viewers to hit themselves in the face with the shovel known as "The Bridge" until they get it. Don't worry, though, they use enough gore and bad language (in Spanish, so I guess it doesn't count since you have to read it) to distract you.

Also, the "creepy, loner guy" talks in a weird mumble, as if suggesting "Buffalo Bill" from "Silence of the Lambs. This wouldn't be much more than standard issue movie/TV cliche if not for the fact that Diane Kruger's boss IS PLAYED BY THE GUY WHO PLAYED "BUFFALO BILL".

But, at least they said they would solve the crime by the end of the season in order to not get crucified by the masses like "The Killing" did.

Oh, and Matthew Lillard is fun as a boozing, coke-sniffing (at the police station, no less), misanthropic newspaper guy.

Thanks for your time and I apologize if any of you wasted your time reading this with no vested interest.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Those are more fun when I'm actually watching the show you rip apart.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I really like it so far except for Diane Kruger's character and for most of the reasons you mention. It beggars belief (even with a benefactor/mentor with semi-questionable motives like Ted Levine's character) that someone with her personal attributes would rise to such a promotion position in a very large city's police department no less.