Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by BSF21 »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:51 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:31 pm So, I hear that Amazon Prime now has (or is soon to have) a documentary called Never Surrender about the making 20 years ago of the cult movie Galaxy Quest. Galaxy Quest just happens to be my wife's all-time favorite movie, and she watches it at least once every year.

So, the fact that we don't have Amazon Prime is bumming her out right now.
Your better half has correctly picked her all-time favorite movie. Gonna need to look that documentary up.
Both of these are exceptional. I really enjoyed the doc.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Enrico Colantoni's performance as Mathesar was worth the price of admission alone.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:42 pm Catastrophe from Channel 4 is pretty good.
We just started watching it tonight.

Really funny.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Catastrophe is fuckin' awesome.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So great. What took you so long?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Anyone else watching Industry?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BSF21 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:24 pm
tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:51 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:31 pm So, I hear that Amazon Prime now has (or is soon to have) a documentary called Never Surrender about the making 20 years ago of the cult movie Galaxy Quest. Galaxy Quest just happens to be my wife's all-time favorite movie, and she watches it at least once every year.

So, the fact that we don't have Amazon Prime is bumming her out right now.
Your better half has correctly picked her all-time favorite movie. Gonna need to look that documentary up.
Both of these are exceptional. I really enjoyed the doc.
TWILTS

I get probably one really solid TV or movie rec on here per week. Can't wait to watch this doc.

(I listen to Justin Long's podcast and this was his first big break. He doesn't ride it into the ground, but he does talk about it a fair bit... Also where he formed a long term friendship with Sam Rockwell.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Finished Schitt's Creek last night. Overall a fun diversion for a couple of months.
[+] spoiler
What I love is that they didn't devolve into tropes denigrating the "regular" folk with a few small exceptions that usually ended up coming back to bite the Roses. And the way they had a small town being completely nonplussed about same-sex relationships was really well done. Basically a "it's not a thing that even matters, let's not treat it like it is." Looking forward to the follow up where the cast talks about making the show.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Three episodes into Suburra, an organized crime series on Netflix set in Rome. Big fan so far.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:50 pm Finished Schitt's Creek last night. Overall a fun diversion for a couple of months.
[+] spoiler
What I love is that they didn't devolve into tropes denigrating the "regular" folk with a few small exceptions that usually ended up coming back to bite the Roses. And the way they had a small town being completely nonplussed about same-sex relationships was really well done. Basically a "it's not a thing that even matters, let's not treat it like it is." Looking forward to the follow up where the cast talks about making the show.
There is something out there, might be On Demand on the Pop network... Maybe Hulu? I know it exists because we talked about it on here at some point.

It really highlights the point you make about same-sex relationships. The show is extremely popular in the LGBTQ community because it doesn't follow the usual patterns and tropes. It just is what it is, which is remarkably refreshing.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:09 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:50 pm Finished Schitt's Creek last night. Overall a fun diversion for a couple of months.
[+] spoiler
There is something out there, might be On Demand on the Pop network... Maybe Hulu? I know it exists because we talked about it on here at some point.

It really highlights the point you make about same-sex relationships. The show is extremely popular in the LGBTQ community because it doesn't follow the usual patterns and tropes. It just is what it is, which is remarkably refreshing.
Yeah it's on Netflix, too. You have to search for it, but it pops up after "schi". It's about 45 minutes and it's really well done. With an LGBT child in our house, it really hit my wife hard to see how many mothers (mama Bears) who struggled with things (to be fair, my wife never "struggled" with any decisions, just how to go forward working with those changes) to see it just be so disinterested in homophobia really was well done, and was a very calculated decision.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:55 pm Three episodes into Suburra, an organized crime series on Netflix set in Rome. Big fan so far.
I'll give it a watch.

Sadly, it doesn;t look like Netflix is picking up seasons 3 and 4 of "Gomorrah" about the mob in Naples.

Heartily recommend that series. And the way season 2 ended, it could have served as a series finale.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Just finished first 3 episodes of Ted Lasso. Holy shit, it is as good as you all said. Just, it's amazing.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:11 pm Just finished first 3 episodes of Ted Lasso. Holy shit, it is as good as you all said. Just, it's amazing.
God...am I going to have sign up for yet another streaming service?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yes. Get a free trial, it won't take you but two days to watch it because you will binge the hell out of it. It's that good. It's so good.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It’s the best show I’ve seen in a bit.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Just wached ep 5 and now everyone in the room is crying on Thanksgiving.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:45 pm
tennbengal wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:11 pm Just finished first 3 episodes of Ted Lasso. Holy shit, it is as good as you all said. Just, it's amazing.
God...am I going to have sign up for yet another streaming service?
Just upgrade whatever Apple product you have, like an iPad and I’m pretty sure they’ll throw in a free year of Apple + streaming.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Claire Danes is always the worst thing in whatever project she’s in. Homeland would have been incredible with a real actress.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:59 pm Claire Danes is always the worst thing in whatever project she’s in. Homeland would have been incredible with a real actress.
Nope. She's great in The Family Stone. Bit part, but she's charming as hell.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:49 pm Just wached ep 5 and now everyone in the room is crying on Thanksgiving.
We are re-watching it, because my daughter hasn't seen it yet.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:59 pm Claire Danes is always the worst thing in whatever project she’s in. Homeland would have been incredible with a real actress.
I couldn't hang with the show, primarily because of her. They angst and the whininess drove me nuts.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

How To With John Wilson is just great. Really great.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:51 am How To With John Wilson is just great. Really great.
I was just gonna come on here and say the same thing. The finale last night was perfection.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’m up to Season Seven of Homeland and basically just hate-watching at this point. This show went downhill fast. Rooting for Carrie to die.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Same here as of last night. Except I'm not ready to call it amazing yet and I think it's solely because of Sudeikis's accent. If they had just let him talk normally but still be slightly oblivious in the same midwestern way, I'd be all in.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:26 am I’m up to Season Seven of Homeland and basically just hate-watching at this point. This show went downhill fast. Rooting for Carrie to die.
Is it worth starting this show? Been on my list forever, but if it gets that bad, should I even start it?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:10 am
brian wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:26 am I’m up to Season Seven of Homeland and basically just hate-watching at this point. This show went downhill fast. Rooting for Carrie to die.
Is it worth starting this show? Been on my list forever, but if it gets that bad, should I even start it?
The first few seasons are pretty good. I'd say you should. Your mileage might vary also, I have a tic about shows that could be so much better with just a little more effort/tweaking.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:36 am
The first few seasons are pretty good. I'd say you should. Your mileage might vary also, I have a tic about shows that could be so much better with just a little more effort/tweaking.
"This is awful. Taste it."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Can someone explain to me the point of hate-watching something? If you don’t enjoy watching a show why wouldn’t you just watch something, or do something else? Don’t you believe some shows might just be a sunk cost?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I enjoyed the first season, but didn't care for much after that, and stopped.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:53 am Can someone explain to me the point of hate-watching something? If you don’t enjoy watching a show why wouldn’t you just watch something, or do something else? Don’t you believe some shows might just be a sunk cost?
For me it’s about what happens...I have to see how the story ends or turns out...even if it’s bad. I’ve never walked out of a movie...once I started it I have to finish it. I just started watching The Flight Attendant on HBO Max...it’s probably going to fall into this category. Three episodes in I can’t tell if it’s any good or not.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:53 am Can someone explain to me the point of hate-watching something?
I can hardly find time to watch things I want to watch.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:56 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:53 am Can someone explain to me the point of hate-watching something?
Same here
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I’d heard that while the middle seasons of Homeland sucked, the last couple were pretty good. We were going to watch the last couple at some point.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:26 pm
rass wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:51 am How To With John Wilson is just great. Really great.
I was just gonna come on here and say the same thing. The finale last night was perfection.
Just a watched the finale. Yup.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:42 am
brian wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:36 am
"This is awful. Taste it."
I wasn't going to watch, but this swayed me. If someone said something is awful, I have to taste it to understand. Not if they are gagging or anything. Similar to at a nice restaurant, if there is something on the menu that sounds like it shouldn't work, I usually order it to see how the different components work together. Even if I don't love the dish, I'm excited if the chef pulls off a seemingly impossible combination. Wish I could remember an example, but it's been a long time since I've gone to a fancy restaurant.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:16 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:56 pm
Same here
For me, "Hate Watching" occurs when my wife and I start a show and she decides that it's "our show." Sometimes you just have to watch to keep peace in the house.

Fortunately, she and my daughter now watch tv together almost every night. Spares me things like "The Bachelorette," "This is Us," "Girlfriends," and any of a number of teen comedies and dramas.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm lucky in that I can tolerate a number of shows on Bravo, which means when it comes to prime time viewing, we tend to watch better stuff. And it gets me out of "hate watching" stuff that really makes me irate, like the Kardashians. (Though, thankfully, that finally played itself out for her a number of years ago.)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I finished off all of (for now) 'Better Call Saul' this morning (been watching as I ride my wind trainer in the morning).

Its really good...and super well done. Giancarlo Esposito and Jonathon Banks are great. And Odenkirk totally carries it...but here's my problem with it: I just don't buy the relationship between Jimmy and Kim Wexler. There's no chemistry between them at all.