Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by rass »

Goggins is great, too. McBride was almost forced to be the straight man at some points, which is different for him. I enjoyed it, but wanted to love it and didn't quite get there. We didn't make it through the entire first season, then forgot about it, remembered it when season 2 came out but haven't picked it back up yet.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

My wife and I finally catching up on series we've recorded over the summer but never watched.

It looks like our next choice is either American Gods or the final season of Leftovers.

Discuss.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Haven’t seen American Gods yet, but can tell you final season of Leftovers was amazing.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Steve of phpBB wrote:My wife and I finally catching up on series we've recorded over the summer but never watched.

It looks like our next choice is either American Gods or the final season of Leftovers.

Discuss.

I liked The Leftovers but it's not for everyone. I'm only 3 episodes into American Gods and so far it's awesome.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Jerloma wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:My wife and I finally catching up on series we've recorded over the summer but never watched.

Discuss.

I liked The Leftovers but it's not for everyone. I'm only 3 episodes into American Gods and so far it's awesome.

We saw the first two seasons of the Leftovers, so we're in for the ride.

And we just finished Fargo, so I'm kinda up for more time with Carrie Coons. Even though Bengal has dibs on her.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Correct. FWIW, you get the full Coons if you watch Leftovers.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote:Correct. FWIW, you get the full Coons if you watch Leftovers.

If that means what I think, IW a helluva lot.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
tennbengal wrote:Correct. FWIW, you get the full Coons if you watch Leftovers.

If that means what I think, IW a helluva lot.

It does.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Who says bengal has dibs?!

Fuck that noise.

She's a god damn angel. An American treasure.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Jerloma wrote:

Discuss.

We saw the first two seasons of the Leftovers, so we're in for the ride.

And we just finished Fargo, so I'm kinda up for more time with Carrie Coons. Even though Bengal has dibs on her.

Oh, yeah then if you've already seen the first two seasons, hop right in. Season 3 is out there but in a good way.

Don't sleep on AG after though.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Wednesday's are the new Thursday in the L-sham household. Survivor, both reality and Designated, Soith Park, and the new seasons for Riverdale and Mr. Robot. Good stuff.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shea and Ken Tremendous?!?! Fuck yeah!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

govmentchedda wrote:Shea and Ken Tremendous?!?! Fuck yeah!

For those of you wondering what Chedda is on about:
https://twitter.com/SheaSerrano/status/ ... 5267396608
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you remember him from FJM it’s crazy to think about how rich Michael Schur is now. (I realize he worked in TV at the time but he was a ham-n-egger then. Some of us might have made more than him.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:If you remember him from FJM it’s crazy to think about how rich Michael Schur is now. (I realize he worked in TV at the time but he was a ham-n-egger then. Some of us might have made more than him.

There's probably a couple who made more (all the damn lawyers in this place come to mind), but network TV ham-and-eggers on shows with full season orders do quite well. Weekly salary plus multiple story credits for the show, plus any additional work, such as pilot season and potential development deal with a network. I would guess as "just a staff writer", he was well over $150K at the time of FJM.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yeah, that’s a pretty great bit of news. Happy for both of them and optimistic it will be good.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
brian wrote:If you remember him from FJM it’s crazy to think about how rich Michael Schur is now. (I realize he worked in TV at the time but he was a ham-n-egger then. Some of us might have made more than him.

There's probably a couple who made more (all the damn lawyers in this place come to mind), but network TV ham-and-eggers on shows with full season orders do quite well. Weekly salary plus multiple story credits for the show, plus any additional work, such as pilot season and potential development deal with a network. I would guess as "just a staff writer", he was well over $150K at the time of FJM.

Yeah I would have guessed about $150K to $200K when he was doing FJM. I’m pretty confident there’s two or three guys here who clear that in a year.
That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

Funny. I just found out this morning that Schur made the good place and came here to ask you guys about it. Still have to start watching B99 too.
And boy do I miss FJM.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

That French Guy wrote:Funny. I just found out this morning that Schur made the good place and came here to ask you guys about it. Still have to start watching B99 too.
And boy do I miss FJM.

The Good Place is fantastic. Highly recommended.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote:
That French Guy wrote:Funny. I just found out this morning that Schur made the good place and came here to ask you guys about it. Still have to start watching B99 too.
And boy do I miss FJM.

The Good Place is fantastic. Highly recommended.

Very good show. Ted Danson is very funny.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

“You killed five William Shakespeares and saved one Santa Claus.”
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

L-Jam3 wrote:“You killed five William Shakespeares and saved one Santa Claus.”

The visualization of the ethics conundrum was so good.

I was pissed off at the way the show ended its first season, but it has been great this year.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote:

I was pissed off at the way the show ended its first season, but it has been great this year.

It's better if you re-watch the first season knowing the writers and show runners knew the whole season what was going to happen. I would have hated it too if I thought they pulled it out of thin air, but they really didn't so the clues are there even in the pilot.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:

It's better if you re-watch the first season knowing the writers and show runners knew the whole season what was going to happen. I would have hated it too if I thought they pulled it out of thin air, but they really didn't so the clues are there even in the pilot.

Perhaps that was my problem as I'd only seen 5 or 6 episodes during the first season.

And Jameela Jalil is worth watching any time.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote:
brian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:

Perhaps that was my problem as I'd only seen 5 or 6 episodes during the first season.

Word. I would have been in even if the description of the show was "It's a show where Kristin Bell is the only the second-hottest person in it."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
brian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:

Word. I would have been in even if the description of the show was "It's a show where Kristin Bell is the only the second-hottest person in it."

Tied for second. The chick that plays Janet is sneaky hot.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

BSF21 wrote:

When she's Ted Danson's arm candy during his "mid-life" crisis, she was looking goooood in that dress.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
brian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:

Absolutely love The Good Place. I loved the last 2 or 3 episodes of the first season. First episode this season was awesome, then looked like they were painting themselves into a corner of a horribly cheesy show, and I was on the edge of my seat thinking about how the writers were going to write their way out of the corner. It's awesomely bizarre, and hilarious. I would take Vicky over Jameel Jalil:

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

When she's Ted Danson's arm candy during his "mid-life" crisis, she was looking goooood in that dress.

There was a scene in the last episode where she (Janet) was wearing a form-fitting dress...

And that form was very nice indeed.

(I am so sexist for posting this...)

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Did anyone else catch the Homer at the Bat Documentary that ran this weekend (and appears to be having reairs on FS1)? A bit forced at times but it is nice to remember just a gem of an episode.
http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/news ... ox-w509781
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I quit on The Good Place after 4 or 5 episodes. I'll give it another shot on these recommendations. Bell is one of my favorite actresses, so it says something that I quit on the show... Don't really remember what lost me, but I think I felt like it wasn't appearing to go anywhere.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Late to the party on this, but just finished Season 1 of Bojack Horseman. Episodes were hit-and-miss, but the better ones kept me intrigued enough to continue.

The subsequent seasons are supposed to get better, right?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Late to the party on this, but just finished Season 1 of Bojack Horseman. Episodes were hit-and-miss, but the better ones kept me intrigued enough to continue.

The subsequent seasons are supposed to get better, right?

Yeah, much. The tone and tenor is much more similar to the latter half of season 1. But season two and season three are better overall.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Finally got through Season Four of BoJack Horseman last night and while there were some uneven episodes I thought the entire season was pretty great. And won't spoil the finale, but I definitely teared up a little at the end.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Starting Stranger Things tonight...(on episode 2)

Sean Astin has been eating well. If he's around next season they better reference The Goonies.

If Beetlejuice had come out in 1984, it would have been great if Nancy dressed up like Lydia (Winona's character) at the Halloween party.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Not sure if I'm late getting the update, but my Directv receiver just got a whole new interface. Pretty slick! Old one had been around for years, and didn't look much different from the old SD interface.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I wasn't really sold on the first season of Vice Principals, but this second season has been great and the penultimate episode of the series last Sunday was genius. (The series finale is this Sunday.)

Might have been the funniest half hour I've seen on TV this year. I was shocked at the end to see it was directed by Danny McBride since everything was so perfectly framed and presented. I really thought it had been David Gordon Green who directed it. McBride has a real future as a director if he wants to do it.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:I wasn't really sold on the first season of Vice Principals, but this second season has been great and the penultimate episode of the series last Sunday was genius. (The series finale is this Sunday.)

Might have been the funniest half hour I've seen on TV this year. I was shocked at the end to see it was directed by Danny McBride since everything was so perfectly framed and presented. I really thought it had been David Gordon Green who directed it. McBride has a real future as a director if he wants to do it.

The fight scene was amazing. I lost it when Gamby was taking the shortcut through the offices while Russell was running outside and he just sticks him into the lockers. That may have been the scene you were referencing.

I feel you though. I wasn't a huge fan, but now I'm freaking pumped for this finale.

ETA: the soundtrack is so good. It's almost gives off college football game atmosphere vibe in some of the scenes.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:
brian wrote:I wasn't really sold on the first season of Vice Principals, but this second season has been great and the penultimate episode of the series last Sunday was genius. (The series finale is this Sunday.)

The fight scene was amazing. I lost it when Gamby was taking the shortcut through the offices while Russell was running outside and he just sticks him into the lockers. That may have been the scene you were referencing.

I feel you though. I wasn't a huge fan, but now I'm freaking pumped for this finale.

ETA: the soundtrack is so good. It's almost gives off college football game atmosphere vibe in some of the scenes.

The whole episode was genius, but the fight scene was especially inspired. And yeah, the music and the cinematography was just great. That Big Black Delta song had a 80s Giorgio Moroder vibe to which just ratcheted up the tension.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

3 notes from SNL:

I had literally never heard of the host before
Again, Leslie Jones stinks
More angry IDGAF Weekend Update jokes, please
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The