Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:21 pm Appreciate the feedback. Just must be one of those shows that doesn’t do it for me.
It pains me to turn anyone away from the show, as I think it’s brilliant. Completely Canadian humor. I watched a lot of Canadian tv in college, so it’s a bit nostalgic.

I’ve told my parents for years they need to watch Schitt’s Creek, they finally did and absolutely love it.

Curious, do you like Fred Willard? I think he is the funniest character actor ever, similar type humor. And Chris Elliot, people either love or hate him. He has one character, but I still love him.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:18 pm I love it. It’s all about the characters and the way the actors play off each other. Not much plot. If you don’t like it, it’s more of the same. I think it progressively gets better, but not different.
It's the current "let's watch something up in bed before we turn out the lights" show.

Silly, somewhat campy, very character driven as you say.

But, yeah LVbri, if you don't like the first few episodes, it's only going to go deeper down this path. I will say they all kind of settle down a bit and hit a less frenetic pace after they start to engage more with the town folks.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I just muted the word "bachelor" on Twitter. Feels so good.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:09 am I just muted the word "bachelor" on Twitter. Feels so good.
Genius. I will be doing that immediately.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I get a lot of great recs from the Swamp, so don't get me wrong, but Lodge 49 was completely lost on me.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:38 am
A_B wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:09 am I just muted the word "bachelor" on Twitter. Feels so good.
Genius. I will be doing that immediately.
Sportswriters' undying love for that show baffles me.

ETA: Looks like you need to block "thebachelor" too due to hashtags.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"Succession" is just so good. Just finished episode 3 of season 2. For me, 13 episodes in just over a week amounts to hard-core binging.
[+] spoiler
Currently hate Roman more than anyone else, although Conner is close behind. Current sympathies are with Tom.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There is a brilliance in the way the show causes you to constantly re-adjust your opinions about all of the characters (usually for the poorer, but not always).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Does anyone else find it annoying that HBO has all of the episodes of any given season as thumbnails with screenshots from that episode? It's especially spoilerish in shows where people die all the time like GoT or Sopranos.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:21 pm Appreciate the feedback. Just must be one of those shows that doesn’t do it for me.
Curious: did you like Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, or A Mighty Wind? I love the show but am definitely in the anti Chris Elliot camp.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rams Fanny wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:58 pm
Curious: did you like Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, or A Mighty Wind? I love the show but am definitely in the anti Chris Elliot camp.
I liked those OK, but wasn't over the moon about them. I like Chris Elliott pretty well. I think it's just too much like a "typical" sitcom for me. It's not that it's bad or actively unfunny or anything, but I guess I don't see anything that's special about it either and there's just too much good stuff out there these days to invest the time in getting caught up with a show that I think is just mediocre. I probably really would have liked it 10 years ago.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:52 am There is a brilliance in the way the show causes you to constantly re-adjust your opinions about all of the characters (usually for the poorer, but not always).
So true.
[+] spoiler
Just thinking about the first scene of the entire series - a pathetic old man staggering confused through an apartment unable to find a washroom and he then pisses on the floor. His wife comes in and gently leads him back to bed. And that man is a monster, but when we first meet Logan, we feel badly for him.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I don't know if anyone else is still watching Modern Family but this week's episode was great.
[+] spoiler
And it got dusty in my living room
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:22 pm I don't know if anyone else is still watching Modern Family but this week's episode was great.
[+] spoiler
And it got dusty in my living room
I do...I thought it was great as well.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

FUCK! PEACOCK! FUCK!

So I wait until every episode of Picard is out to pick up that service for as long as it takes to watch all of those, then do the same for Peacock and Grubes.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:42 pm FUCK! PEACOCK! FUCK!

So I wait until every episode of Picard is out to pick up that service for as long as it takes to watch all of those, then do the same for Peacock and Grubes.
AP Bio moving to Peacock too so they might be trying to put together some decent original offerings.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Canceled Disney+ last night.

I'll circle back if/when they start pushing out more original content, as it stands I don't really need access to all the other movies and stuff. Mandalorin was great, but $10/mo for something I'm not checking in on for weeks at a time is a significant waste.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:32 pm Canceled Disney+ last night.

I'll circle back if/when they start pushing out more original content, as it stands I don't really need access to all the other movies and stuff. Mandalorin was great, but $10/mo for something I'm not checking in on for weeks at a time is a significant waste.
My daughter keeps pestering me to get it, saying it's free for the first year. I told her that's crazy, but I heard Howard Stern say Verizon FiOS gives a free year. I just don't care enough to look into it. Between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and cable, I don't need any more platforms, even if it is free. Although Rass' talk of this Peacock thing airing new episodes of AP Bio intrigues me, and the Jennifer Aniston show on Apple TV looks really intriguing. Speaking of Aniston, how the fuck is she still so hot at 50? It's insane.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:40 pm

My daughter keeps pestering me to get it, saying it's free for the first year. I told her that's crazy, but I heard Howard Stern say Verizon FiOS gives a free year. I just don't care enough to look into it. Between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and cable, I don't need any more platforms, even if it is free. Although Rass' talk of this Peacock thing airing new episodes of AP Bio intrigues me, and the Jennifer Aniston show on Apple TV looks really intriguing. Speaking of Aniston, how the fuck is she still so hot at 50? It's insane.
Verizon is offering a free year if you have unlimited data plans with them. Only reason we signed up for it. I think Hulu may be included in the offer also.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:10 pm

Verizon is offering a free year if you have unlimited data plans with them. Only reason we signed up for it. I think Hulu may be included in the offer also.
Ah, good to know. No unlimited data for me, so no Disney+.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

James May in Japan on Prime is a cool travel show.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:04 am James May in Japan on Prime is a cool travel show.
I was never a Top Gear person but jumped in on Grand Tour. Have not done any of the other spinoffs from the crew but James May in Japan has intrigued me.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Oh wow, my son is going to love that. He loves the original Top Gear, and was obsessed with Japan for a bit.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I got it for the Mandalorin and to kick the tires on the other stuff. I'm not a huge "go back and watch movies over and over" so there's just not a ton of appeal to me for the Disney/Pixar/Marvel archive.

I'll come back when more original content starts to bubble up, but like I said, that's just burning 10 bucks/mo for no reason at this point.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Until this season, I really liked The Good Place. The last couple of episodes, especially episode 11, were just awful.

Nothing but exposition and explanation with the same flattened penis joke repeated as if to remind people that this is a comedy. I've seen every episode of the series, but I really don;t even want to watch the last three of the series. It's become a bit of an ordeal to watch.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I dunno. The Timothy Olyphant gag was funny.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I think the acting and much of the jokes are still great, but I think the overall plot is wearing out.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm about 3 episodes into Season 2 of Fleabag and damn if this season isn't as good, if not better, than Season 1. What a brilliant show. I haven't seen anything this well-written and acted since Breaking Bad.
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I don't know if anyone else watched Mr. Robot, but I watched the final season over the last couple of weeks. I think the ending worked well, especially since considering the show's structure it could've really flown off the rails. Rami Malek is a hell of an actor.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:24 am I don't know if anyone else watched Mr. Robot, but I watched the final season over the last couple of weeks. I think the ending worked well, especially since considering the show's structure it could've really flown off the rails. Rami Malek is a hell of an actor.
Absolutely loved Season 1, but haven't been able to motive to start Season 2. It's just so fucked up.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:05 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:24 am I don't know if anyone else watched Mr. Robot, but I watched the final season over the last couple of weeks. I think the ending worked well, especially since considering the show's structure it could've really flown off the rails. Rami Malek is a hell of an actor.
Absolutely loved Season 1, but haven't been able to motive to start Season 2. It's just so fucked up.
when I saw season 4 hit, I went to watch it but could not remember if I saw season 3 and the descriptions of episodes on the internet did not help me remember. As a result I stopped.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:07 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:05 pm
when I saw season 4 hit, I went to watch it but could not remember if I saw season 3 and the descriptions of episodes on the internet did not help me remember. As a result I stopped.
Heh, I had a similar moment yesterday. Brockmire popped up on Hulu, and I was convinced I saw the final season. Gave a look at the episode images, huh, I don't remember Richard Kind being in this show... Boom, I have another season of Brockmire to enjoy!
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:49 am I'm about 3 episodes into Season 2 of Fleabag and damn if this season isn't as good, if not better, than Season 1. What a brilliant show. I haven't seen anything this well-written and acted since Breaking Bad.
Agreed. So good. I love how whenever she ran into the handsome guy, she'd look at the camera and say "Fucked me in the arse."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I remember when Che went after Hyden for the Jost column and made the "sucking off dogs" "joke". That whole thing above is worse, if just for the longevity. Weird.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:50 pm I remember when Che went after Hyden for the Jost column and made the "sucking off dogs" "joke". That whole thing above is worse, if just for the longevity. Weird.
That is a strange behavior from Che. I actually think he and Jost work well together. Plus I do have a warm place in my heart for Che's Daily Show send off.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, although it does sound like this guy was kind of downplaying his regular Twitter jabs at Che and SNL. Maybe Che should ignore him, but I didn't see anything too egregious in there.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Che was pretty petty. Punching down and all that.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, the issue is Che knows he can make this dude more or less unhireable for the initial crime of saying SNL sucks now.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

OTOH, he probably sucks as a writer because he came up with the oh so fresh comment that "SNL sucks now!" So he's getting way more notoriety than he ever would have had he not made that comment.

I don't blame Che a bit. A professional writer was talking shit about his show and its ethics after failing to get a job there.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto