Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:12 pm I've now powered through the first 3 seasons of Bosch, and enjoyed it, but decided I should watch something else while I'm on my wind trainer so I don't burn out on it.

I tried watching the 1st episode of 'Sucession' this morning....and does it get better? I mean...I can tell its well done, but I'm not sure how I feel about watching really terrible rich assholes being really terrible to each other.
I don't know if it gets better, or if you adapt to it, but my enjoyment definitely increased.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:57 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:12 pm I've now powered through the first 3 seasons of Bosch, and enjoyed it, but decided I should watch something else while I'm on my wind trainer so I don't burn out on it.

I tried watching the 1st episode of 'Sucession' this morning....and does it get better? I mean...I can tell its well done, but I'm not sure how I feel about watching really terrible rich assholes being really terrible to each other.
I don't know if it gets better, or if you adapt to it, but my enjoyment definitely increased.
My wife and I gave up after a couple of episodes. There’s enough other stuff to watch.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Basically in the same place with Succession that I am with Westworld. We've stalled out, and there's so much other stuff to watch, I don't know if we'll circle back.

Succession, in particular, seems like one of those shows you get told you have to watch, and it doesn't really rise to that level for me... so it's as much an expectation versus reality thing for us.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:57 pm Succession, in particular, seems like one of those shows you get told you have to watch, and it doesn't really rise to that level for me... so it's as much an expectation versus reality thing for us.
I tried giving episode 2 of Succession a chance....and I'm out. The main reason? I don't believe any of the main characters (the kids) are smart enough to run a grocery store deli counter, let alone a multi-national conglomerate.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:25 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:57 pm Succession, in particular, seems like one of those shows you get told you have to watch, and it doesn't really rise to that level for me... so it's as much an expectation versus reality thing for us.
I tried giving episode 2 of Succession a chance....and I'm out. The main reason? I don't believe any of the main characters (the kids) are smart enough to run a grocery store deli counter, let alone a multi-national conglomerate.
Look at the family that ran a real estate business and now runs the United States. I haven't watched Succession because I have the impression the family is similar to the Trumps, and I hate people of that ilk so much, I don't want to watch.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:18 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:25 pm
Look at the family that ran a real estate business and now runs the United States. I haven't watched Succession because I have the impression the family is similar to the Trumps, and I hate people of that ilk so much, I don't want to watch.
It's allegedly modeled after the Murdoch's but I don't know anything about Rupert's kids.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

1. The characters are heinous and impossible to like.

2. Except that, as it goes along, you kinda end up sorta rooting for some of them.

3. The acting is really good, the writing sharp, and there is a lot of meta-commentary going on with respect to the 1% of the 1% if you will.

4. I equate it to GoT in this respect, you start out hating the fuck out Jamie Lannister, but come to realize that he, like all of the characters basically, have their own flaws and that the exploration of that is an interesting journey and that very little is absolutely pure evil or pure good in that world.

5. The song is a banger.

All that said, I totally get why you may not be interested, I skipped season 1 for the same reasons, then fell into trying it, and it dropped the narrative hammer about halfway through season 1 and kept at it. I am a fan.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, I recall it taking at least halfway through the season before it hooked me. Gerri is a GILF.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:50 pm Yeah, I recall it taking at least halfway through the season before it hooked me. Gerri is a GILF.
Roman!!!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:44 pm 1. The characters are heinous and impossible to like.
Which is why it's a lot of fun when things blow up in their faces.

Love the show.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:57 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:44 pm 1. The characters are heinous and impossible to like.

Do they stay rich, though?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:58 pm

Show's not over yet.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm sure it's a great show and I would probably like it, but there are so many shows I'm trying to catch up on I doubt I'll ever get to it.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:22 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:58 pm

Show's not over yet.
[+] spoiler
Got a feeling that Tom is in for a rough patch. Also a feeling that he could end up working with Kendall
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I saved the Wu-Tang doc that aired on Showtime last year (Of Mics and Men) and finally watched the first two eps and it's tremendous. Can't wait to watch the last two later today after work.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

2/3 of the way through Ozark season 2. Started and binged season 1 a few weeks ago. Loving the show.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It’s a little weird how much Ghostface Killa looks like Marshawn Lynch.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I finished 'Plot Against America' this morning. I enjoyed it. Definitely hope they do a second season, considering I can't remember at all how the book ends.

That said....John Turturro's try at a South Carolina accent is pretty ridiculous.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:42 pm I finished 'Plot Against America' this morning. I enjoyed it. Definitely hope they do a second season, considering I can't remember at all how the book ends.

That said....John Turturro's try at a South Carolina accent is pretty ridiculous.
The book ended a shitton more definitively than the TV show did so I'd bet on a second season, especially considering it's an David Simon/Ed Burns joint.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:44 am 2/3 of the way through Ozark season 2. Started and binged season 1 a few weeks ago. Loving the show.
Never made it through season 2. Loved season 1.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Watched the Crossed Swords pilot last night, amusing animated comedy on Hulu. Though I was high as shit when I watched so it may suck.

EDIT sorry Crossing Swords
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Really enjoying Better Things. Pamela Adlon is fantastic and there are a lot of parallels between her three daughters and my three sons.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Seeing a lot of those, "you're becoming your parents" Progressive commercials. Love it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:19 pm
tennbengal wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:44 am 2/3 of the way through Ozark season 2. Started and binged season 1 a few weeks ago. Loving the show.
Never made it through season 2. Loved season 1.
I thought Season 2 was even better. Added a lot more levels of chaos. It's so well done, and every main female character (except the daughter) scare the fuck out of me. Ruth at least has her heart in the right place, but she will eat your face off to do best by herself. The lawyer lady is a bad bitch, Laura Linney is fucking amazing in this, and capable of evil, but the farmer lady. Fuuuucckk, she is pure evil! As the story of her and her husband unfolds... I don't want to give anything away, but that was like ice water in my veins. I watched the first episode of Season 3, and they make it seem like Laura Linney's character is about to go supervillain level bad.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I started watching Ramy on Hulu. I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes of Season 1. It's about a 20-something Muslim guy in North Jersey trying to find his way between being a Muslim and fitting in with modern American culture. While it's less of a comedy, I'm finding something very similar to the series Dave (Lil' Dickey's semi-autobiographical show) in the way it's shot and the way they are building his character's depth. Really enjoying it, and I can't think of a more detailed look into the life of a Muslim immigrant.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:26 am I started watching Ramy on Hulu. I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes of Season 1. It's about a 20-something Muslim guy in North Jersey trying to find his way between being a Muslim and fitting in with modern American culture. While it's less of a comedy, I'm finding something very similar to the series Dave (Lil' Dickey's semi-autobiographical show) in the way it's shot and the way they are building his character's depth. Really enjoying it, and I can't think of a more detailed look into the life of a Muslim immigrant.
I've got that on my list as it was recommended in some discussion I saw after watching Fleabag.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I watched the first season of Ramy though haven't started S2 yet. I liked it a lot. Like someone said, it offers a view into a culture and a community we seldom get to see on television and I'll sit through a mediocre show for that, though I thought Ramy was well-done.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The addition of Mahershela Ali got some rave reviews for season 2.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:48 pm Seeing a lot of those, "you're becoming your parents" Progressive commercials. Love it.
"You can't sit. You have too many." Cracks me up every time. It's my wife to a T.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:05 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:48 pm Seeing a lot of those, "you're becoming your parents" Progressive commercials. Love it.
"You can't sit. You have too many." Cracks me up every time. It's my wife to a T.
“We all see it. We all see it.”

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The funniest part for me is the guy doing the coaching. His look matches the type of person he should be castigating. The other funniest part is that my parents and inlaws do so many of these behaviors.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Is anyone else watching Top Chef this season? Its an 'All Star' season, so everyone knows what they are doing within the contest.

Final 3 are down to Melissa (who's killing it...odds on favorite), Bryan Voltaggio, and Stephanie (who is clearly the JustHappyToBeHere entry).

I listened to a podcast yesterday interviewing Kevin Gillespie, who went out last week. Fun facts: He was accepted into the MIT nuclear engineering program, and decided to defer entry for a year to keep cooking and make some money, and ended up not going. And he's done voice-over work for Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Archer, and a bunch of other cartoons.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:02 pm
BSF21 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:05 pm
“We all see it. We all see it.”

That's awesome. Haven't seen those before.
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:47 am Is anyone else watching Top Chef this season? Its an 'All Star' season, so everyone knows what they are doing within the contest.

Final 3 are down to Melissa (who's killing it...odds on favorite), Bryan Voltaggio, and Stephanie (who is clearly the JustHappyToBeHere entry).

I listened to a podcast yesterday interviewing Kevin Gillespie, who went out last week. Fun facts: He was accepted into the MIT nuclear engineering program, and decided to defer entry for a year to keep cooking and make some money, and ended up not going. And he's done voice-over work for Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Archer, and a bunch of other cartoons.
Loving it. Also, the Puck Soup guys are doing a podcast on their Patreon for this season with Greg Wyshinski, his wife Ruby, and Sean Gintile. Super fun hour of recaps and banter. Greg and Ruby have a TC fantasy draft against each other which I'm totally copying for my wife and I for next season. Points based on how long people last with bonus points for challenge wins, extra stuff (winning 10k/car in a challenge), negatives for doing typical top chef things (making crudo/ceviche, etc). It's been a super fun ride.

Love all 3 of the ones left. Would be crazy if Stephanie wins, but I think it's clearly Melissa's game to lose rn.

Note: the podcast is called...wait for it...

Mise En Pod.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:47 am Is anyone else watching Top Chef this season? Its an 'All Star' season, so everyone knows what they are doing within the contest.

Yeah, we've been watching it, it's been a fun season. Doesn't seem like Bryan has done his strongest work, but still managed to make it to the end. Melissa has to be the favorite at this point.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The name kept me away for a long time, but was finally convinced to watch Schitt's Creek and am sorry it took this long. So hilarious.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

After missing "Parks and Recreation" when it aired, my wife and I are binging it. Near the end of Season 5 - it's just great.

BUT - I just hate Tom Haverford. He's just not very funny and Aziz Ansari is a terrible one note actor.

But Ron Swanson is one of the greatest sitcom characters in history. And I can't believe how funny Rob Lowe is.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We're doing the same but with like 10 episodes left. I love Rob Lowe's character even if I'm pretty sure I don't like Rob Lowe the person.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Giff wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:40 am The name kept me away for a long time, but was finally convinced to watch Schitt's Creek and am sorry it took this long. So hilarious.
Such a great show. We're probably going to re-watch it soon.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:26 am After missing "Parks and Recreation" when it aired, my wife and I are binging it. Near the end of Season 5 - it's just great.

BUT - I just hate Tom Haverford. He's just not very funny and Aziz Ansari is a terrible one note actor.

But Ron Swanson is one of the greatest sitcom characters in history. And I can't believe how funny Rob Lowe is.
I'm just about to start season 6.

I'm all right with Tom, you need him to have Jean-Ralphio.

Have you watched Master of None?