Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6546
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Giff » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:24 pm

It’s been very healing for a big chunk of my family, so last night was really awesome to me.
Muh.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4964
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by DaveInSeattle » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:57 am

I watched the first two episodes of Season 1 of "Schitt's Creek" while riding my wind trainer this morning...and a little Chris Elliot goes a long way.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8228
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by govmentchedda » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:08 am

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:57 am
I watched the first two episodes of Season 1 of "Schitt's Creek" while riding my wind trainer this morning...and a little Chris Elliot goes a long way.
That was one of my big problems as well. My wife keeps saying to make it through 4-5 episodes before giving up.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6348
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Nonlinear FC » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:09 am

I'm actually not a Chris Elliot fan, and I worried that he'd fuck the show up. There are certainly a few plot lines where he's dominant, but overall he's pretty good in his role (IMO).

I actually think the way they tempered his aggressively ignorant portrayal is with his charmingly naive wife. Who is also a fantastic foil for Rose when Johnny isn't around.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6348
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Nonlinear FC » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:10 am

govmentchedda wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:08 am
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:57 am
I watched the first two episodes of Season 1 of "Schitt's Creek" while riding my wind trainer this morning...and a little Chris Elliot goes a long way.
That was one of my big problems as well. My wife keeps saying to make it through 4-5 episodes before giving up.
Yeah, push through his being such an A-hole and it really starts to round into form.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5744
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Shirley » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:22 am

Just realized that when I bought my son a new iPhone I got a year of Apple TV+ for free. I guess I can try out that Ted Lasso show now.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16880
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by A_B » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:25 am

Shirley wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:22 am
Just realized that when I bought my son a new iPhone I got a year of Apple TV+ for free. I guess I can try out that Ted Lasso show now.
I’m excited for you. That’s how we got our subscription too.
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5295
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Steve of phpBB » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:05 pm

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:09 am
I'm actually not a Chris Elliot fan, and I worried that he'd fuck the show up. There are certainly a few plot lines where he's dominant, but overall he's pretty good in his role (IMO).

I actually think the way they tempered his aggressively ignorant portrayal is with his charmingly naive wife. Who is also a fantastic foil for Rose when Johnny isn't around.
I agree with this. Elliot gets way less annoying as the season and series go on.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6348
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Nonlinear FC » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:08 pm

A_B wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:25 am
Shirley wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:22 am
Just realized that when I bought my son a new iPhone I got a year of Apple TV+ for free. I guess I can try out that Ted Lasso show now.
I’m excited for you. That’s how we got our subscription too.
Yep, same here.

(Steer clear of the Defending Jacob show... Unless you want to watch a show shot all in dark blue and grey with extremely depressing characters dominating a really dark overall plot.)

ETA - One of my pet peeves are shows that lean so heavily on this "dark mood" motif, to the point that I find it distracting. Just tell your story. It's dark enough as is. It's like when they set shows in Seattle and then double-down with EVERY scene being dark, shadowy with all the clothes and walls painted grey, black, etc.

Like... I've been to Seattle (or Boston)... It's pretty fucking nice a lot of the time.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14343
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by rass » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:22 pm

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:08 pm
A_B wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:25 am
Shirley wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:22 am
Just realized that when I bought my son a new iPhone I got a year of Apple TV+ for free. I guess I can try out that Ted Lasso show now.
I’m excited for you. That’s how we got our subscription too.
ETA - One of my pet peeves are shows that lean so heavily on this "dark mood" motif, to the point that I find it distracting. Just tell your story. It's dark enough as is. It's like when they set shows in Seattle and then double-down with EVERY scene being dark, shadowy with all the clothes and walls painted grey, black, etc.
haha The Killing
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4964
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by DaveInSeattle » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:30 pm

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:08 pm
Like... I've been to Seattle (or Boston)... It's pretty fucking nice a lot of the time.
Shh...don't tell people that. We're crowded enough already!

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6348
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Nonlinear FC » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:41 pm

rass wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:22 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:08 pm
A_B wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:25 am
Shirley wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:22 am
Just realized that when I bought my son a new iPhone I got a year of Apple TV+ for free. I guess I can try out that Ted Lasso show now.
I’m excited for you. That’s how we got our subscription too.
ETA - One of my pet peeves are shows that lean so heavily on this "dark mood" motif, to the point that I find it distracting. Just tell your story. It's dark enough as is. It's like when they set shows in Seattle and then double-down with EVERY scene being dark, shadowy with all the clothes and walls painted grey, black, etc.
haha The Killing
That's the show I was thinking of...
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6348
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Nonlinear FC » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:42 pm

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:30 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:08 pm
Like... I've been to Seattle (or Boston)... It's pretty fucking nice a lot of the time.
Shh...don't tell people that. We're crowded enough already!
My buddy that owns a distillery makes this comment quite frequently.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5751
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by DSafetyGuy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:00 pm

rass wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:22 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:08 pm
A_B wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:25 am
Shirley wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:22 am
Just realized that when I bought my son a new iPhone I got a year of Apple TV+ for free. I guess I can try out that Ted Lasso show now.
I’m excited for you. That’s how we got our subscription too.
ETA - One of my pet peeves are shows that lean so heavily on this "dark mood" motif, to the point that I find it distracting. Just tell your story. It's dark enough as is. It's like when they set shows in Seattle and then double-down with EVERY scene being dark, shadowy with all the clothes and walls painted grey, black, etc.
haha The Killing
I thought the exact same thing. I also fondly remember the commenters at the A/V Club constantly posting, "Fuck you, AMC's The Killing."
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16880
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by A_B » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:48 am

A_B wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:06 pm
Giff wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:36 am
Finally started Lovecraft Country. Pretty awesome so far.
I’ve seen the first two episodes and I like it.
Im through five. Very interesting show.
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3771
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by P.D.X. » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:54 am

That sounds good. Too bad I’m a non-HBO-having chump.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20274
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by mister d » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:11 am

A_B wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:58 pm
I’ve been watching love craft country while keeping an eye on Lakers game. How the fuck is it even possible for AD to only have one rebound in the fourth?
Saw this last night and the lack of a space today makes more sense.
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:32 pm
Location: Henderson, NV

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Rams Fanny » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:29 am

For you folks with HBO Max, watch Class Action Park next time you need to be entertained for 90 minutes. Doc about an insane theme park in Jersey during 70s/80s/90s. Well worth your time and surprised it wasn't mentioned here before.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21989
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by brian » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:35 am

Rams Fanny wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:29 am
For you folks with HBO Max, watch Class Action Park next time you need to be entertained for 90 minutes. Doc about an insane theme park in Jersey during 70s/80s/90s. Well worth your time and surprised it wasn't mentioned here before.
Think it was but in one of the numerous New Jersey threads. But I'm looking forward to seeing it. Would have checked it already but because of Amazon's pissing contest with HBO/TW I can't get the app on my Fire stick

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12593
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by The Sybian » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:49 am

Rams Fanny wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:29 am
For you folks with HBO Max, watch Class Action Park next time you need to be entertained for 90 minutes. Doc about an insane theme park in Jersey during 70s/80s/90s. Well worth your time and surprised it wasn't mentioned here before.
Used to see tons of commercials for Action Park as a kid, and I always wanted to go. Now that I live in NJ and hear my NJ-raised friends talk about the place, very glad we went to other amusement parks instead. Almost everyone has a story of leaving large amounts of skin on a ride and having a friend of sibling sustain a more severe injury.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6348
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Nonlinear FC » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:52 am

You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
bfj
Donny
Posts: 2779
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by bfj » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:14 pm

Anybody else watching "The Boys" on Amazon Prime? I'm about half way through Season 1 and it's pretty good. Elizabeth Shue held up nicely.

Image
Enjoy every sandwich.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8228
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by govmentchedda » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:16 pm

She's amazing
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
bfj
Donny
Posts: 2779
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by bfj » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:22 pm

govmentchedda wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:16 pm
She's amazing
That picture doesn't do her justice for how good she looks on this show. I mean, it's not Leaving Las Vegas Shue, but she looks great.
Enjoy every sandwich.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14343
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by rass » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:25 pm

I'll take The Saint Shue for the win.

(she's great in that show)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6348
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Nonlinear FC » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:27 pm

Yeah, I know a number of folks were all over this when S1 picked up some momentum.

I'm waiting for the show to put more episodes out. We tend to binge at least 2 at a time.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4670
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by BSF21 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:13 pm

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:27 pm
Yeah, I know a number of folks were all over this when S1 picked up some momentum.

I'm waiting for the show to put more episodes out. We tend to binge at least 2 at a time.
I really enjoy it. Well casted.

While we're talking about Shue, Erin Moriarity (Starlight) ain't no slouch herself.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 7557
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by tennbengal » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:30 pm

bfj wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:14 pm
Anybody else watching "The Boys" on Amazon Prime? I'm about half way through Season 1 and it's pretty good. Elizabeth Shue held up nicely.

Image
YES. I just pushed this show a few pages back. Rass was ahead of me on it. I am four episodes into Season 2 and it remains really excellent.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6348
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Nonlinear FC » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:55 pm

I liked The Boys so much that I originally binged it by myself last summer, and then convinced my wife she needed to watch it all the way through with me again a month later.

(The original conversation on this show took place in the Netflix Suggestions thread.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5744
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Shirley » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:10 pm

I haven't watched any S2 of The Boys yet, but I'm itching to. S1 got better and better with each episode. It had one of the great season-enders that I can recall. Just full of Holy Shit! moments.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14343
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by rass » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:16 pm

Season 2 has been great, and I think episode 3 is my favorite of the series so far. Glad they got Billy Joel to sign off/agree to take money from Bezos.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16880
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by A_B » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:51 pm

Shirley wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:10 pm
I haven't watched any S2 of The Boys yet, but I'm itching to. S1 got better and better with each episode. It had one of the great season-enders that I can recall. Just full of Holy Shit! moments.
Things have to go up from sexual assault in the first 15 minutes right?

Eta: look I get that narrative arcs require tension and this shit happens in real life. I think I posted at the time that I just was tired of people on power doing bad shit. This was around the same time as a succession discussion. So it just wasn’t in my wheelhouse then or now. It seems to be well regarded and I trust the opinions of a lot of you guys but I just can’t work up interest at the moment. Too many other things I can watch I guess, too.

I don’t mean to show-shame.
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 7557
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by tennbengal » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:19 pm

Handled pretty well.

You got past ep 1 of Game of Thrones, right?

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16880
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by A_B » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:29 pm

tennbengal wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:19 pm
Handled pretty well.

You got past ep 1 of Game of Thrones, right?
I did. But the societal landscape was much less in your face with it at the time. I edited to say I get it, just was/is not for me at the moment.

Eta: and maybe I’m missing the analogy, but I don’t recall the first GOT to be in the same ballpark. Refresh my memory. I don’t mean that mean, I’m just not in total recall I guess
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 7557
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by tennbengal » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:27 pm

I mean, dany was raped as a consequence of being forced to marry drogo. That was first half hour.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16880
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by A_B » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:57 am

tennbengal wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:27 pm
I mean, dany was raped as a consequence of being forced to marry drogo. That was first half hour.
Yeah, but they were married first!

Serisouly, I didn't remember that being so early on. But again, I think it's more about where my head was at/is at in terms of that show.
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7476
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by wlu_lax6 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:10 am

Amazon Prime Reading has vol 1 of the grphic novel/comic free to read.


Season 1 sent me down the Gareth Ennis graphic novel worm hole. I read all of The Boys and Preacher over 2 weeks. Only thing that slowed me down was the fact that the library did not have them immediately available.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14343
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by rass » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:13 am

I get what you're saying AB.

As TB said, the show definitely addresses that incident and there are consequences for the aggressor that continue through current episodes. I can only think of one other on-screen sexual assualt, which
[+] spoiler
is when the tables are turned on the aggressor from that first scene, but in a pretty ridiculous way such that it almost feels played for laughs which maybe makes it all the more uncomfortable - to be clear he is not prison raped or something like that
There is one other plot point that is related to rape, but we're just told it happened, never shown it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5744
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Shirley » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:08 am

rass wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:13 am
I get what you're saying AB.

As TB said, the show definitely addresses that incident and there are consequences for the aggressor that continue through current episodes. I can only think of one other on-screen sexual assualt, which
[+] spoiler
is when the tables are turned on the aggressor from that first scene, but in a pretty ridiculous way such that it almost feels played for laughs which maybe makes it all the more uncomfortable - to be clear he is not prison raped or something like that
There is one other plot point that is related to rape, but we're just told it happened, never shown it.
[+] spoiler
And it turns out, it wasn't rape, after all.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14343
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by rass » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:12 am

Shirley wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:08 am
rass wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:13 am
I get what you're saying AB.

As TB said, the show definitely addresses that incident and there are consequences for the aggressor that continue through current episodes. I can only think of one other on-screen sexual assualt, which
[+] spoiler
is when the tables are turned on the aggressor from that first scene, but in a pretty ridiculous way such that it almost feels played for laughs which maybe makes it all the more uncomfortable - to be clear he is not prison raped or something like that
There is one other plot point that is related to rape, but we're just told it happened, never shown it.
[+] spoiler
And it turns out, it wasn't rape, after all.
[+] spoiler
Do we know that for sure? I don't remember her admitting it was 100% consensual but I could have been lost in Karl Urban's eyes and missed it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

Post Reply