Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 17284
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Pruitt » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:49 am

[+] spoiler
As a non-Marvel fan, I found the last episode to be disappointing. The unique tone of the series disappeared in the last episode and I found that most of the finale was "classic" Marvel stuff - repetitious, drawn out fight scenes culminating with a hint of movies and shows to come.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by wlu_lax6 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:22 am

Watched a bunch of episodes of Top Class on IMDB TV. It is about Sierra Canyon's 2019 hoops team/season. Disappointing. They must have done it on a budget because it really could have been something special. Amazing team but no drama or real story. I blame Lebron and team who produced it.

I mean that team was chock full of talent and personalities. They played a world class schedule and went to China as superstars. So when they lose games to good teams they had natural tension. Also no story telling of the teams that best them. They show about St. Francis (Baltimore Football that was too good for their conference) was way better.

User avatar
EdRomero
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1705
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by EdRomero » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:12 am

Pruitt wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:49 am
[+] spoiler
As a non-Marvel fan, I found the last episode to be disappointing. The unique tone of the series disappeared in the last episode and I found that most of the finale was "classic" Marvel stuff - repetitious, drawn out fight scenes culminating with a hint of movies and shows to come.
[+] spoiler
I was going to say the exact same thing although my disappointment started with the penultimate show. It went from such an original/what the hell is happening show to a Marvel movie.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 17284
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Pruitt » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:13 am

The English series Friday Night Dinner on Prime is really funny.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by wlu_lax6 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:33 am

EdRomero wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:12 am
Pruitt wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:49 am
[+] spoiler
As a non-Marvel fan, I found the last episode to be disappointing. The unique tone of the series disappeared in the last episode and I found that most of the finale was "classic" Marvel stuff - repetitious, drawn out fight scenes culminating with a hint of movies and shows to come.
[+] spoiler
I was going to say the exact same thing although my disappointment started with the penultimate show. It went from such an original/what the hell is happening show to a Marvel movie.
Yeah but this has to setup the 12 tv series and 12 movies for MCU 4

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by brian » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:10 pm

The wife is watching Firefly Lane, which is horrible, but at least Katherine Heigl’s sweater puppies get lots of time to play.

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 8212
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by tennbengal » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:43 pm

Absolutely missed New Girl for its entire run. Started it w/ Jen and...turns out it is pretty damn funny. Fun binge.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 15233
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by rass » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:46 pm

I’m a Jake Johnson fan 4 life because of that show
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 8212
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by tennbengal » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:55 pm

rass wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:46 pm
I’m a Jake Johnson fan 4 life because of that show
Yup. All in. He voiced struggling Spiderman in Spider Verse, too, I think. This is a fantastic binge.

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 8212
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by tennbengal » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:58 pm

"I drove to Mexico and tried to enter a cock fight."

"As a person?"

"Yes, as a person."

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 6256
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Steve of phpBB » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:02 am

tennbengal wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:43 pm
Absolutely missed New Girl for its entire run. Started it w/ Jen and...turns out it is pretty damn funny. Fun binge.
We’ve been rewatching it lately. Yes it is.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Shirley » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:45 pm

[+] spoiler
If your entire post is inside a spoiler tag with no outside text saying what it's a spoiler for, is it really a spoiler?
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 17284
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Pruitt » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:54 am

Shirley wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:45 pm
[+] spoiler
If your entire post is inside a spoiler tag with no outside text saying what it's a spoiler for, is it really a spoiler?
[+] spoiler
A valid point for sure.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 8212
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by tennbengal » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:47 am

Pruitt wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:54 am
Shirley wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:45 pm
[+] spoiler
If your entire post is inside a spoiler tag with no outside text saying what it's a spoiler for, is it really a spoiler?
[+] spoiler
A valid point for sure.
[+] spoiler
nods

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 15233
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by rass » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:55 am

Even with the page break you can't possibly claim to not know what show that last set of spoiler discussions was about, right?
[+] spoiler
Or was this just a be perturbed on the internet for no reason thing?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by brian » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:05 am

rass wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:46 pm
I’m a Jake Johnson fan 4 life because of that show
Nick Miller is my spirit animal.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 6256
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Steve of phpBB » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:22 am

brian wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:05 am
rass wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:46 pm
I’m a Jake Johnson fan 4 life because of that show
Nick Miller is my spirit animal.
This checks out. When I try to picture you in my head, Brian, the first image that comes up is Nick Miller. Then I say "no, that's the guy from New Girl" and I get the right one.

(At least it's no longer Forrest Whittaker.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by wlu_lax6 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:44 pm

So Amazon has "Making Their Mark". Another one of their Hark Knocks-style show. However, this one...Aussie Rules. Have never watched a show that has a specific warning for Aboriginals.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by P.D.X. » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:54 pm

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:44 pm
Have never watched a show that has a specific warning for Aboriginals.
This seems to be pretty standard for any recording that shows Aboriginals since they're sensitive about seeing photos/videos of people that have passed. Watched The Proposition and Australia recently and both had this warning.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by wlu_lax6 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:13 pm

Invincible (Amazon Prime) is interesting. I don't know anything about the comics it is based upon but very strong voice talent. First 3 went up today and the story is different. I am not a fan of the animation style but probably will hang with it.

Some of the voices-
J.K. Simmons, Steven Yeun, Walton Goggins, Gillian Jacobs, Jason Mantzoukas, Zach Quinto, Mark Hamil, Seth Rogen, Nicole Byer, Clancy Brown (the crab from Spongebob), Maherhala Ali, Jon Hamm

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by brian » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:30 pm

I’d argue Clancy Brown is probably best-known as the sadistic guard Byron Hadley from Shawshank Redemption than Spongebob, but that’s maybe just me.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17851
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by A_B » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:26 pm

brian wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:30 pm
I’d argue Clancy Brown is probably best-known as the sadistic guard Byron Hadley from Shawshank Redemption than Spongebob, but that’s maybe just me.
Yeah. Absolutely. But he has done shitloads of voice work for video games too.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 6464
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by DSafetyGuy » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:08 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (5.13 KiB) Viewed 259 times
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by brian » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:24 pm

Apparently S2 of I Think You Should Leave wrapped filming last week. Should mean we have some new eps by this summer.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 17284
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Pruitt » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:23 pm

brian wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:24 pm
Apparently S2 of I Think You Should Leave wrapped filming last week. Should mean we have some new eps by this summer.
Awesome!!!

Sadly, no sequels to this...

Image
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
The Dude
Posts: 5473
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by DaveInSeattle » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 pm

"United States of Al" looks like the most stupid/insulting show that's ever been put on television.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 17284
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Pruitt » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:05 pm

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 pm
"United States of Al" looks like the most stupid/insulting show that's ever been put on television.
Chuck Lorre.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 8212
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by tennbengal » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:14 pm

Even for Chuck Lorre...damn it looks bad.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by brian » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 pm

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 pm
"United States of Al" looks like the most stupid/insulting show that's ever been put on television.
That’s a bold statement given how high a bar that is but it does look like a bad show.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12871
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by sancarlos » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:17 pm

excerpt from wiki, describing the show's critical reception, wrote:Afghan journalist Ali Latifi shared his criticism of the show in an op-ed for Business Insider stating "the Chuck Lorre production is a show from another era: it's all flat characters, and cheap, uninspired jokes." While giving praise to Lorre's television series The Big Bang Theory, he also shared a quote from a conversation with Afghan-American social rights activist Mariam Wardak, who he quoted as saying "rather than showing Afghan interpreters as brave men who are putting their lives on the line and are risking being ostracized in their community, we have a short, scrawny awkward brown man standing next to this GI Joe."
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

"I'd rather give Deshaun Watson a massage than root for that fucking franchise." - Giff

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Shirley » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:03 am

"While giving praise to Lorre's television series The Big Bang Theory"

imma stop you right there...
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 13446
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by The Sybian » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:42 am

brian wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 pm
"United States of Al" looks like the most stupid/insulting show that's ever been put on television.
That’s a bold statement given how high a bar that is but it does look like a bad show.
Sounds like just the type of show that'll be a #1 hit in America. Even moreso now that people looking for quality programing go to streaming options. Come to think of it, we don't watch a single current show on network TV. Eh, we do record and never watch Shark Tank, but that's the only current show we watch. We recorded the entire run of the Office off Comedy Central when it left Netflix. I'm so ready to ditch cable, but my wife is still holding on for some reason. Anything she wants on cable is available on Hulu or Amazon, and with more things moving to Peacock, Paramount and the like, she is breaking.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17851
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by A_B » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:57 am

The Sybian wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:42 am
brian wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 pm
"United States of Al" looks like the most stupid/insulting show that's ever been put on television.
That’s a bold statement given how high a bar that is but it does look like a bad show.
Sounds like just the type of show that'll be a #1 hit in America. Even moreso now that people looking for quality programing go to streaming options. Come to think of it, we don't watch a single current show on network TV. Eh, we do record and never watch Shark Tank, but that's the only current show we watch. We recorded the entire run of the Office off Comedy Central when it left Netflix. I'm so ready to ditch cable, but my wife is still holding on for some reason. Anything she wants on cable is available on Hulu or Amazon, and with more things moving to Peacock, Paramount and the like, she is breaking.
You did see that the lead character is brown, right?
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 13446
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by The Sybian » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:17 am

A_B wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:57 am
The Sybian wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:42 am
brian wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 pm
"United States of Al" looks like the most stupid/insulting show that's ever been put on television.
That’s a bold statement given how high a bar that is but it does look like a bad show.
Sounds like just the type of show that'll be a #1 hit in America. Even moreso now that people looking for quality programing go to streaming options. Come to think of it, we don't watch a single current show on network TV. Eh, we do record and never watch Shark Tank, but that's the only current show we watch. We recorded the entire run of the Office off Comedy Central when it left Netflix. I'm so ready to ditch cable, but my wife is still holding on for some reason. Anything she wants on cable is available on Hulu or Amazon, and with more things moving to Peacock, Paramount and the like, she is breaking.
You did see that the lead character is brown, right?
Then nevermind.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12871
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by sancarlos » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:03 pm

A_B wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:57 am
The Sybian wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:42 am
brian wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 pm
"United States of Al" looks like the most stupid/insulting show that's ever been put on television.
That’s a bold statement given how high a bar that is but it does look like a bad show.
Sounds like just the type of show that'll be a #1 hit in America. Even moreso now that people looking for quality programing go to streaming options. Come to think of it, we don't watch a single current show on network TV. Eh, we do record and never watch Shark Tank, but that's the only current show we watch. We recorded the entire run of the Office off Comedy Central when it left Netflix. I'm so ready to ditch cable, but my wife is still holding on for some reason. Anything she wants on cable is available on Hulu or Amazon, and with more things moving to Peacock, Paramount and the like, she is breaking.
You did see that the lead character is brown, right?
Depends on whether his character's relationship with the white male second lead is deferential or dominant. If it's the former, then it's a CBS hit.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

"I'd rather give Deshaun Watson a massage than root for that fucking franchise." - Giff

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by brian » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:46 pm

The white male lead is a former Army Ranger, so you can figure it out.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12871
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by sancarlos » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:46 pm

So, Aaron Rodgers is guest host of Jeopardy this week. A contestant’s flippant answer during Fnal Jeopardy today was “Who decided to kick that field goal?” Rodgers takes it in stride, pauses and says, “That is a great question.”
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

"I'd rather give Deshaun Watson a massage than root for that fucking franchise." - Giff

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
The Dude
Posts: 5473
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by DaveInSeattle » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:09 pm

Watch out...Fox News has a late night comedy show that premiered tonight...



Yikes...

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by P.D.X. » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:57 am

So it's just like their normal programming but with a laugh track?

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 13446
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by The Sybian » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:40 am

P.D.X. wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:57 am
So it's just like their normal programming but with a laugh track?
That gives me a brilliant idea!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

Post Reply